• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Direct Feb 13 Announced 2 PM PT

Fbh

That was a good direct. Good announcements and surprises that have made 2019 look a lot more exciting for the Switch than it was today in the morning

- Link's Awakening remake looks great. The art style is charming and I've actually never played the original but always heard its really good so this is awesome
- Astral Chain looks awesome, I like the art style and the gameplay looks really enjoyable in typical over the top Platinum Style. Would have liked an update on bayonetta 3 but I won't complain about a new Platinum IP releasing this year
- That new Game from the I Am Setsuna team looks interesting (not exclusive, I know, but still).
- Mario Maker seems fun and I missed it on WiiU. I'm not interested enough to pay $60 but if there's a rare sale or price drop I'll give it a try

The one negative thing of this was Fire Emblem. I left way less hyped about it. Not that FE ever had a great world or story but I fucking hate the high school setting. Unless it gets amazing reviews from the press and users it went from day one to "pick up when it's $30". This shit is like Valkyria Chronicles 2 all over again

Last edited:

Porcile

Switch is heaven for a certain type of gamer. No idea how this Direct could get a negative reaction. Like, if you don't like JRPG's and Japanese games why are you even watching or even own a Nintendo system?

The double announcement at the end was fantastic. Likely more new games at E3 and bigger reveals of already announced games.

Roll on E3, baby.

Meesh

Switch is now my rpg console, couldn't be happier right now. Haven't been this jazzed since the SNES holy trifecta of FF3, Secret of Mana and Chrono Trigger.

Pejo

So i never tried to get into Rune Factory, but that looks interesting, might give it a shot. The port machine continues to churn through that WiiU library, but we are getting some cool new stuff. My highlights personally were Daemon X Machina, Astral Chain, Link's Awakening and the new FE. Some cool stuff in this direct.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
And as expected, no announced of MPT and looks like will have to wait who knows how long for this. On the other had, this year will be fully packed with great games for Switch (although I don't think 2D Zelda is gonna be released this year as they haven't announced the exact release date) so I'll be just fine without MPT.

Last edited:

nordique

Best Nintendo Direct in a while!

Tons and tons of games I am interested in.

Switch is such an awesome system!!!

Barakov

Wow. They really hit out of the park with this direct. Keep the games coming, Nintendo.

Last edited:

Halo0629

It sucks no animal crossing but I'm excited for ultimate alliance 3, mario maker 2, links awakening. Also never really cared for the fire emblem series but I have to admit three houses looks pretty interesting and I might give it a chance when it comes out.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
My god!!! This direct was more exciting than most E3 shows. If Sony just do direct like Nintendo then I completely support the idea of Sony abandoning E3.

Last edited:

ROMhack

Honest question: Has a developer as renowned as Retro Studios ever gone as long as they have with nothing to show for it?

I know games have had rough developments, long developments, been cancelled, etc. But Retro hasn't announced that they're even working on anything. And with their last game releasing in 2014, I'm wondering what is happening over there. So honestly, can anyone think of a comparison where we knew a high-quality development studio existed, but had literally no idea what they were working on for 5 years?

How do the bills get paid there?

Retro might be the new Rare, unfortunately. Many of their developers left over the years to work on new projects including ReCore.

List here.

Last edited:

Sakura

That was a good direct. Good announcements and surprises that have made 2019 look a lot more exciting for the Switch than it was today in the morning

- Link's Awakening remake looks great. The art style is charming and I've actually never played the original but always heard its really good so this is awesome
- Astral Chain looks awesome, I like the art style and the gameplay looks really enjoyable in typical over the top Platinum Style. Would have liked an update on bayonetta 3 but I won't complain about a new Platinum IP releasing this year
- That new Game from the I Am Setsuna team looks interesting (not exclusive, I know, but still).
- Mario Maker seems fun and I missed it on WiiU. I'm not interested enough to pay $60 but if there's a rare sale or price drop I'll give it a try

The one negative thing of this was Fire Emblem. I left way less hyped about it. Not that FE ever had a great world or story but I fucking hate the high school setting. Unless it gets amazing reviews from the press and users it went from day one to "pick up when it's $30". This shit is like Valkyria Chronicles 2 all over again
I'm kind of the opposite on FE. Being a teacher in a school seems kind of fresh, and makes sense for the protagonist considering for the past few games you were supposedly kind of the strategist. It also feels more natural that way to have you interact with the different factions.

Solid direct, though I'm starting to get worried about how well Fire Emblem will ultimately be recieved. There's a few red flags that bug me. I do find it interesting that when you look at this direct as a whole, it's much more in line with what you'd expect of a 3DS direct (RPGs everywhere) than what we've come to expect from the Switch. I mean, the big ending hype reveal was not only a 2D Zelda game, but a remake of a GAME BOY game. Let that sink in.

Last edited:

Hudo

So, can we assume that Nintendo will show Animal Crossing at E3 instead? It should come out this year, as far as the announcement trailer goes.

Mozza

Although I still expect the Switch to fly off store shelves,I can't help feeling a little underwhelmed by all this,of course Nintendo will not want to reveal all their games in one hit...but still.

When the Switch launch was initially delayed due to software not being ready I was not that concerned,but it just seems like Nintendo have never really caught up,of course last year showed that Nintendo could be carried by two big games at the end of the year,and they do always seem to have a strong Christmas period,but you would think they would have something big at the begging of the year to give them the best start to reach those lofty 20 million targets.

As I said I still believe they are on a roll....but there just does not seem to be that much for me personally to look forward too,but of course there will be a lot more info on Animal crossing and ,Luigi's Mansion 3 and the new Pokemon game later on in the year.

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Although I still expect the Switch to fly off store shelves,I can't help feeling a little underwhelmed by all this,of course Nintendo will not want to reveal all their games in one hit...but still.

When the Switch launch was initially delayed due to software not being ready I was not that concerned,but it just seems like Nintendo have never really caught up,of course last year showed that Nintendo could be carried by two big games at the end of the year,and they do always seem to have a strong Christmas period,but you would think they would have something big at the begging of the year to give them the best start to reach those lofty 20 million targets.

As I said I still believe they are on a roll....but there just does not seem to be that much for me personally to look forward too,but of course there will be a lot more info on Animal crossing and ,Luigi's Mansion 3 and the new Pokemon game later on in the year.
Are we basically ignoring all the big games announced like FE, Link’s Awakening, Astral Chain and Demon X Machina? If you are telling me none the games they announced this direct interest you then I would say that mostly your problem not Nintendo. No matter what Nintendo does there is always going to be someone who gets disappointed, they just fighting a losing battle.

Last edited:

Mozza

Are we basically ignoring all the big games announced like FE, Link’s Awakening, Astral Chain and Demon X Machina. If you are telling me none the games they announced direct interest then I would say that most your problem not Nintendo. No what Nintendo does there is always going to get disappointed, they just fighting a losing battle.

Like I said it's just me personally,and as I also said I feel there will be lots of people more than happy with Nintendo's output,I also did say that I was confident that we will see more of Nintendo's bigger titles in the coming months.

Last edited:

Andyliini

I really enjoyed watching this Direct. It really pushed all the right buttons for, and I can't wait for the rest of 2019. There are so many games incoming it's no even funny. I'm not personally interested in SMM2, but it's great that they can reveal the game now, and release it in 4 months with minimal leaks. And of course a completely new game from Platinum Games, with not even a hint beforehand. I love this style of announcing games.

I hope there would be another Direct, if only a mini one, before E3, but I'm not sure if they will do that. There are not that many games coming out in first half of the year, but summer and fall seem to be packed. Now, I'll need to see that I get that Fire Emblem Limited Edition.

Yagami_Sama

That was great presentation. And the funny thing is that, even the presentation is great, I always have the feeling that, could have been better, but I really liked the presentation.

A lot of stuff on the presentation was rumored by some "leakers or insiders".

The new Platinum Game IP looks interesting, and somehow remembered me of Scaleboud and I hope the release date is soon.And it was a pity that Bayonetta 3 was not on the show, which makes me believe that this will be a holiday season game, and the same goes for Luigi's Mansion 3. And also was a pity that Pikmin 4 was nowhere to be seen,

Super Mario Makers 2 sales was something to watch, because if the Wii U version sold an awful lot imagine on a more successful platform ?

Tetris 99 was a great surprise, and a nice approach to add value to Nintendo Switch Online subscription and I played a little and it was quite fun.

I did not have time to play the demo of Daemon X Machina, but the game looks great and the same goes to Yoshi. And I was expecting Final Fantasy 7 to be available after the Direct not IX, and I bought it, and played a little and man, feels great, it brought e back to N64 time in which I was wishing for this game to be released for N64, wait 20 years to play this was worth the wait XD.

Hellblade : Senua's Sacrife was something I was not expecting to be announced for Switch, even prior to Micrisoft bought Ninja Theory. I might try the game or at least look for more info now, because the game presentation did not appeal to me, but let's see.

Dragon Quest XI having a worldwide release date was great.

And I think that people will complaint a lot about the art style of the new Zelda. It even remembered me of the Wind Waker announcement, when people riot because wanted a "mature" game.

And I must say, that the only downside of the presentation for me was the new Fire Emblem. I am big fan of the series since always and the impression I got for the information they provided was not good. I hope the story is great and the game plays great, but it kind of killed my hype for the game. I was enjoyed how the story was told on previous games, except Awaking , thanks to the avatar and fates. The thing of be a teacher was not something I liked. But I still will pre-order and hope that the game will be great.

Last edited:

Saruhashi

Banned
I have to say I don't really understand the "disappointment" when it comes to this direct, or any of the other directs.

The best "surprise" you are going to get is things like Astral Chain that we haven't heard of but that are also only a few months (I think 6 months?) out from release.

If they were going to drop some serious surprises then it's going to be things that people already anticipate and it's going to be a teaser trailer at best.

Fire Emblem, for example, was there ANY doubt about exactly what this game would be since we saw that first snippet at E3? Was it ever going to be that much of a departure from recent FE titles? No. It was always going to be an anime heavy, turn based strategy with RPG elements mixed in, some level of character creation and leveling, some option to "pick a side", some kind of relationship and/or team building. What were folks expecting?

Mario Maker 2 is kind of a surprise, in that Nintendo never officially announced it before, but the original was one of their big sellers on Wii U so it would be madness not to expand on this for Switch. I'm not a huge fan myself but clearly it's a popular concept.

Links Awakening is really just a teaser trailer at this point so I don't see how new(ish) Zelda content announced in a Nintendo Direct can be anything other than a good thing.

Offering up demos for Yoshi and Daemon X Machina is probably the highlight of the direct for me. They are literally giving you something to try out on the spot. Maybe people can soothe their disappointment about not seeing a teaser or months from release gameplay trailer for Game X by actually playing something new? I dunno.

I felt like Assassin's Creed 3 looked pretty unimpressive. For a modern remaster it just looks so uninspiring. I reckon I will pass on that.
Same with the FF stuff tbh. I am kind of over them at this stage. If it was a cool remaster then maybe but... nah.

I am pretty keen on that Marvel game. Looks cool.

I am skeptical that Star Fox GP is a thing since they showed off the Star Fox characters (which is cool) and the new ship "racing" in Star Link. That would have been in development for a while so I wonder if "Star Fox Racing" is actually just this racing element from StarLink?

No Metroid, Pikmin, Animal Crossing, Bayonetta or Luigis Mansion so for sure these are going to be late 2019 games or early 2020.
They surely need to keep something for E3 so it's not a huge deal to not see these,

We did also get: Box Boy + Box Girl, Captain Toad Treasure Tracker update + new DLC, Bloodstained Ritual of the Night, Dragon Quest Builders 2, Dragon Quest XI S Definitive Edition, Disney Tsum Tsum Festival, Rune Factory 4 + Rune Factory 5, ONINAKI, Tetris 99, Dead By Daylight, Delta Rune, GRID Autosport, Hellblade Senua's Sacrifice, Mortal Kombat 11, Unravel Two.

That's a decent amount of stuff. Plus there's a ton of good indies on Switch anyway.
Hollow Knight - Silksong announced this morning (no release date yet).

Probably Astral Chain was the most the most impressive thing shown here. That looks awesome and stands out significantly.

Hahahaha. Just joking lads I don't like videogames and my Switch is "gathering dust", :)

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
So, looking at what that REEE user posted (same guy that leaked Let's Go in the past), looks like he got good information. It was on the 13th, Had SMM2, a "new" 2D Zelda, and Boxboy. He got all those right.

He also suggested that Prime Trilogy and Pikmin 3 Deluxe would "probably" be shown there. Do we think this is enough evidence to point to those last two being announced at E3 now?

Last edited:

Redneckerz

Those long posts don't cover that red neck boy
Nintendo is really shitting the bed. It was hard to defend what they put out last year but this looks even more pathetic.
I honestly don't know what you expected. OH wait, i do, you considered a Pokemon update to be the biggest thing this year, that when Let's Go just released. Unless you were referring to an update of that, in which case you are only playing yourself even more.

This Direct, even when personally it did not tick everything i wanted out of it, was more than decent. Calling it pathetic is having a kind of expectation no Direct, especially a 35 minute one, is going to satisfy for you.

Definitely more my problem as I'm just flat out disappointed with what was revealed. Was hoping for a new Pokemon update which I figured would be the big game of this year.
If Pokemon and Phoenix Wright are the two things you looked out for then i reckon that you aren't looking at the bigger picture.

Atleast you admit its more your problem, that's a rarity these days.

The Zelda remake is just insulting as there's so many Zelda games people want remade, just not the ones they choose to give us.
''Us''. As if you speak for the entire community let alone are a barometer for the games that should be put out. There have been enough Zelda remakes and re-releases the past 15 years, you should check that out.

Calling Link's Awakening insulting demands a better explanation. What is insulting to you? The artstyle?

Announcing backwards progression with games like AC3 is just insulting IMO. It's like looking for old trashware to throw on the Switch for the sake of content rather than providing great new content.
This is apparent on every console platform yet you only target Switch for this. Why?

Its also not trashware when its a remaster + it has Liberation HD. Ideal game for DF to grind their teeth on given AC3 was on Wii U too and Liberation HD Switch is the second handheld the game is appearing on.

I'm most hyped for Phoenix Wright coming to the Switch than just about anything else, kinda surprised it doesn't get a mention
.... Oh, i see. Phoenix Wright. Right. Yeah, i can see now that everything else like Astral Chain or Hellblade are disappointing to you when you called for Phoenix Wright. An admittely brilliant series that's also fairly limited in what you can do with it.

Im only excited for Zelda, that was a pretty weak Direct tbh.
What did you expect then?

I mean, there were some surprises (Hellblade, Astral Chain) and on a personal level, i can't get behind the idea that not some AAA shooters were announced, but taken as a whole, there were some pretty titles announced, admittely most of my excitement came from the last 15 minutes or so where Hellblade/Astral Chain/AC3 Remaster went announced, but Mario Maker 2 is precisely what the Switch needed.

The strong emphasis on RPG and colorful titles is much like Nintendo and frankly, its this part that didn't catch me. I am not interested in a Rune Factory 4, for example, so for me, the fact that this got longer attention and a seperate mention outside of Hellblade and such is something i don't get, but it is understandable from Nintendo's POV.

No AAA shooter ports, but Hellblade/AC3 and Astral Chain are some pretty wicked titles to look for, especially when you are D dark10x :)

Hahahaha. Just joking lads I don't like videogames and my Switch is "gathering dust", :)
I am not sure if this is some reversed psychology at play and this is a meta-joke or you are serious. Help me out here :)

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
The Zelda remake is just insulting as there's so many Zelda games people want remade, just not the ones they choose to give us.
Heh, you're right, there are...and this is the one that was highest on MY list so I'm happy!

Can't please everyone.

Saruhashi

Banned
I am not sure if this is some reversed psychology at play and this is a meta-joke or you are serious. Help me out here :)

Nah, it's a joke. :)

My Switch has been getting played a couple hours a day nearly every goddamned day since the 3rd of March, 2017.
And I still devote plenty of time to my PS4 too.
Yet, so many others seem to just be "gathering dust" because there's "no games".

The best is "ah but there's not games that >> I << like". Riiiiight.
It's probably the best time ever to be a gamer and the Switch has some of the greatest games EVER made.
With more on the way.

So, yeah, I was joking. :)

Redneckerz

Those long posts don't cover that red neck boy
Nah, it's a joke. :)

My Switch has been getting played a couple hours a day nearly every goddamned day since the 3rd of March, 2017.
And I still devote plenty of time to my PS4 too.
Yet, so many others seem to just be "gathering dust" because there's "no games".

The best is "ah but there's not games that >> I << like". Riiiiight.
It's probably the best time ever to be a gamer and the Switch has some of the greatest games EVER made.
With more on the way.

So, yeah, I was joking. :)
I don't absolutely agree that Switch hosts the greatest games ever, but i do agree with the general sentiment. People calling this Direct pathetic or similar either are blowing the bed or have completely unrealistic expectations.

Like Phoenix Wright. :p

Im only excited for Zelda, that was a pretty weak Direct tbh.
I found it to be one of the best in a long time. A lot of third party support, which is huge. Link's Awakening looks amazing, and Mario Maker was a massive hit, so Maker 2 is a no brainer. In addition, I've never been a huge fan of JRPG's. I respect them, they just aren't my thing. However, the art style and gameplay style really caught my interest this time around.

Fbh

After trying the Daemon X Machina demo the results from this direct seems to have gone from positive to neutral.
It killed my interest in Fire Emblem (Now FE: Animu Highschool edition) and made Demon X Machina go from "buy" to "wait and see" (demo shows potential but runs like absolute crap) but gave me Zelda and Astral Chain to look forward to

I'm kind of the opposite on FE. Being a teacher in a school seems kind of fresh, and makes sense for the protagonist considering for the past few games you were supposedly kind of the strategist. It also feels more natural that way to have you interact with the different factions.

Different tastes I guess.
I'd be down for a Fire Emblem where you teach at military academy but not when done like a generic anime high school setting. They also seem to be focusing even harder on the personal relationship stuff which I don't like. Awakening managed to strike a great balance where that stuff was fun without getting in the way but now it seems like its as big of a focus as the actual combat

Last edited:

Saruhashi

Banned
After trying the Daemon X Machina demo the results from this direct seems to have gone from positive to neutral.
It killed my interest in Fire Emblem (Now FE: Animu Highschool edition) and Demon X Machina (demo is fun but runs like absolute crap) but gave me Zelda and Astral Chain to look forward to

Different tastes I guess.
I'd be down for a Fire Emblem where you teach at military academy but not when done like a generic anime high school setting. They also seem to be focusing even harder on the personal relationship stuff which I don't like. Awakening managed to strike a great balance where that stuff was fun without getting in the way but now it seems like its as big of a focus as the actual combat

Yeah, this is more a general concern about the Switch, I don't like that a lot of games we get are not running well from the very beginning.
Even BotW had pretty serious issues at times and that was a launch title.

Assassin's Creed 3 did not look impressive to me at all and I wonder how much of the issues with Metroid Prime 4 could have been down to performance?

I think we've seen delays to pretty much everything major this year too. Yoshi was delayed. Fire Emblem was delayed. Metroid didn't even make it. Bayonetta, I assume, is going to be pushed.

Performance does seem to be a big issue.

The more impressive titles we've seen have played it safe in terms of placing demands on the hardware.

Plus there's the online connectivity. So, yeah, it's not all good.

I'll hold off on FE just to see how it turns out.

I wonder if Zelda will release alongside whatever Switch pro or mini or XL they come up with.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Good direct was good. Hogwarts FE, Lick-me-Link, GRITT and That-girl's-sacrifice, here I come!

SE RPGs and Desmond y Machinima -- count me in!

Platinum's generic-name game + Bayonetter3 -- yeah, baby.

OldBoyGamer

Banned
Wait. They announced other games as well as Zelda?

Seriously. With Yoshi coming out in a few weeks (and the demo looking pretty sweet actually). And with LinksA coming out later this year. That's about 70% of my Switch gaming for this year - especially when you factor I'm still working my way through Pokemon Let's Go. (I'm a VERY slow player).

My one wish - which is way too dreamy for reality - is for them to suddenly announce that Mario maker 2 includes an entire Super Mario 64 level maker too. "Oh, and BTW. One of our designers used the toolset to create an entire remake of the original game".

That would send Nintendo into God level mode! LOL.

What? Piss off. I can dream as much as anyone!

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
I'm fairly certain I'm getting Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice this week. It looks amazing and I've heard great things about the game.

Top Bottom