• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Direct Feb 13 Announced 2 PM PT

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Just like Daemon X Machina, I absolutly in love with the visuals for Astral Chain.
Astral-Chain_02-13-19.jpg

wpekl2y2liunyd70oz19.png

TLZ

Banned
It really is? Only 3 games were new/interesting the rest were years old ports and a 26 years old remake. That's not why I got this console.

Astral Chain directly on my Day 1 List. At least will have something new to play in my switch this year.
I'm talking about the presentation. I very much prefer this straight to the point presentation compared to irrelevant pointless useless time wasting E3 presentations.

Hinedorf

Banned
Nintendo is really shitting the bed. It was hard to defend what they put out last year but this looks even more pathetic.

If I knew in year 3 I'd be excited for Fire Emblem and nothing else, I doubt I'd have as much praise for Nintendo as I did during the first year.

I would say at this point I'm flat out pissed at Nintendo

Danjin44

Nintendo is really shitting the bed. It was hard to defend what they put out last year but this looks even more pathetic.

If I knew in year 3 I'd be excited for Fire Emblem and nothing else, I doubt I'd have as much praise for Nintendo as I did during the first year.

Did we watch same direct? They announced so many good games, if nothing interest you then that’s mostly your problem, not Nintendo.

Doom85

Hmm, okay, kinda so-so Direct. Not interested in Mario Maker. Some new content for Captain Toad and Starlink, not bad. Marvel UA3 looks good, glad to see it will hopefully have some decent amount of X-men and not just Wolverine, but hopefully it'll feature some lesser known heroes as well (how crazy is that, back in the Marvel UA 1 and 2 days the Guardians of the Galaxy would have easily have been considered lesser known by non-comic readers!). More Fire Emblem showcase, that's fine, sad it's a bit of a delay but fine.

Okay, not sure how they can get the hype back-wait, WHAT?! New Platinum game by the Nier Automata director?! And a Link's Awakening remake?! WWWWOOOOOO!!!!!

Shin

Banned
in love with the visuals for Astral Chain.
Astral-Chain_02-13-19.jpg

I like the characters, as someone that's not into Sci-Fi in general I find the character/design appealing.
Not too try-hard that ruined the design like some, it's just right or maybe I'm a weeb but w/e IDC.

Solo Act

Honest question: Has a developer as renowned as Retro Studios ever gone as long as they have with nothing to show for it?

I know games have had rough developments, long developments, been cancelled, etc. But Retro hasn't announced that they're even working on anything. And with their last game releasing in 2014, I'm wondering what is happening over there. So honestly, can anyone think of a comparison where we knew a high-quality development studio existed, but had literally no idea what they were working on for 5 years?

How do the bills get paid there?

Last edited:

Danjin44

I like the characters, as someone that's not into Sci-Fi in general I find the character/design appealing.
Not too try-hard that ruined the design like some, it's just right or maybe I'm a weeb but w/e IDC.
I would say visuals kind gives me same vibe as Psycho Pass.

Paracelsus

This guy is the designer
HdiZjGw.png

tRpuYEM.png

kunonabi

Nintendo sure knows how to pick bad artstyles to remove your interest in a game, not to mention the weird perspective of shadows and the issue with seeing Y axis objects like telling what walls or objects are higher than others. In fact, the artstyle contradicts the original LA, since they already had art work in a style that's ALREADY been done before and all they had to do is remake the game in that style, now they have this chibi link and object dimensions reminiscent of Mega Man powered up.

I'm also certain they will make the Links Awakening remakes gameplay nowhere near as polished, quick and engaging. Looks like it's going to be slowed down.

Lol at the original Link's Awakening being described as quick.

Jubenhimer

Nintendo is the only gaming company that can deliver a great showing, and still have people salty because they didn't get the other games they wanted. With what's been shown in this Direct, It's better to appreciate what we did get, not what we didn't get.

Also, Fire Emblem and nothing else? Yeah, I don't see it.

Nintendo is the only gaming company that can deliver a great showing, and still have people salty because they didn't get the other games they wanted. With what's been shown in this Direct, It's better to appreciate what we did get, not what we didn't get.

Also, Fire Emblem and nothing else? Yeah, I don't see it.

I think it's more that people are pissed that Nintendo has been godawful lately at filling in their calendar for the first half of the year. They gotta do better than NSMBU Deluxe and Yoshi's Crafted World for an entire first half of 2019 for first party titles.

Also I would feel ripped off if I paid full price for NSMBU Deluxe after seeing Mario Maker 2 since that looks like a way, way better product. It's like they deliberately held back it's announcement just to sell NSMBU Deluxe.

Last edited:

Kagey K

Banned
I just got home and am trying to catch up with this but man my son lost his shit when he saw MM2 announced and with slopes. It was all I heard about when his Wii U gamepad crapped out.

Jubenhimer

I think it's more that people are pissed that Nintendo has been godawful lately at filling in their calendar for the first half of the year. They gotta do better than NSMBU Deluxe and Yoshi's Crafted World for an entire first half of 2019 for first party titles.

Nintendo never really puts much of anything big out during the January-March period. They prefer to focus more on Spring onward since the later parts of the year is when they make most of their sales. Q1 has always been more of a buffer period for them. That said, NSMBU, Fit Boxing, Tetris, and Yoshi are pretty decent for the first 3 months first party wise. Nothing that'll move consoles, but enough to satisfy current Switch owners, plus all the third party titles coming.

I'm pretty sure we'll get one more Direct before E3 to flesh out other titles not talked about such as LM3, and MPT, maybe Animal Crossing as well.

JCK75

I was literally just last week thinking about Links Awakening and how I wished they would port it, I didn't get my Metroid Prime Trilogy Wish but I certainly got one I never expected, fantastic direct!

Hinedorf

Banned
Did we watch same direct? They announced so many good games, if nothing interest you then that’s mostly your problem, not Nintendo.

Definitely more my problem as I'm just flat out disappointed with what was revealed. Was hoping for a new Pokemon update which I figured would be the big game of this year. The Zelda remake is just insulting as there's so many Zelda games people want remade, just not the ones they choose to give us.

Announcing backwards progression with games like AC3 is just insulting IMO. It's like looking for old trashware to throw on the Switch for the sake of content rather than providing great new content.

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
This Direct surpassed my expectations.

Wasn't expecting a new Zelda, much less a remake of LA. Personally, I love the art style. I was only expecting Fire Emblem and Yoshi, to be quite honest. And I was surprised.

This is not a E3 Direct, I had that in mind going in. And they had quite a few pretty exciting things in it regardless..

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Announcing backwards progression with games like AC3 is just insulting IMO. It's like looking for old trashware to throw on the Switch for the sake of content rather than providing great new content.

Or it could be that Assassin's Creed III is getting remastered on the PS4 / Xbox One at the same time, and Nintendo was just announcing that it was also coming to the Switch. You know, for those people who think the Switch is some kind of inferior system that doesn't get the same games as the other consoles.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
super psyched about Link's Awakening. i have always heard it was secretly the best game, so it is a nice one for them to remake. also feel like this being patterned after the 3DS Zelda is a good signal that a similar Metroid may be on the way.

played a bunch of the Yoshi's Crafted World demo. it's really nice! the resolution isn't the highest (it will look amazing on Switch pro) but the visual effects look very realistic and it has a shiny, smooth 60fps presentation. Yoshi controls as well as he does in any Mario platformer and the depth effects are very cool.

Codes 208

The Zelda remake is just insulting as there's so many Zelda games people want remade, just not the ones they choose to give is.
Most noteworthy Zelda games so far has been remade or given a sequel within the last couple gens (specifically 3ds, Wii U and switch.) Ocarina of Time? 3ds remake. Majoras Mask? Another 3ds remake. Windwaker? Wii U. Twilight princess? Also Wii U. Link to the past? We got Link between worlds just a few years ago.

But nothing for links awakening. What was easily my favorite GB title. So don’t speak for all of us Zelda fans that this is an insult because it’s not.

Or it could be that Assassin's Creed III is getting remastered on the PS4 / Xbox One at the same time, and Nintendo was just announcing that it was also coming to the Switch. You know, for those people who think the Switch is some kind of inferior system that doesn't get the same games as the other consoles.

Is it really a remaster though when the gameplay from the direct looked like it had a lower framerate than the Wii U version. :unsure::unsure:

RPGCrazied

When I first saw Astral Chain I thought this was Monolith Softs new game. Looks really stylish and cool. I'm hyped for Fire Emblem and Links Awakening remake looks pretty good.

Another direct and still no mention of Metroid Prime trilogy. With 4 delayed years there is no excuse not to port them.

Danjin44

Definitely more my problem as I'm just flat out disappointed with what was revealed. Was hoping for a new Pokemon update which I figured would be the big game of this year. The Zelda remake is just insulting as there's so many Zelda games people want remade, just not the ones they choose to give us.

Basically ignoring they give us more info on FE and shadow drop demo for Daemon X Machina and announced bad ass new IP from platinum game called Astral Chain and give us remake for links awakening which most us love the visuals. Seriously!!?

zcaa0g

Banned

It is an inferior system that doesn't get most of the same games as other consoles and when it does, it's significantly lower fidelity along with a poorer framerate despite that significantly lower fidelity.

Jubenhimer

It is an inferior system that doesn't get most of the same games as other consoles and when it does, it's significantly lower fidelity along with a poorer framerate despite that significantly lower fidelity.

If you were expecting what is essentially a dock-able gaming tablet to be 1:1 identical to the PS4 and Xbox One in game library and performance, then I don't know what you were expecting.

Being able to play some of these games on the go is a huge appeal for many people.

Hinedorf

Banned
I'm most hyped for Phoenix Wright coming to the Switch than just about anything else, kinda surprised it doesn't get a mention

Lightsbane

I ask for a 2D Zelda, and "all" they give me is one the top 3 Zeldas ever made. No biggie.

Switch Mini + Link's Awakening. Day one, baby.

zenspider

The reaction to the Zelda: Link's Awakening art style is not what I expected.

Go play Twilight Princess you edgelords!

Seriously though - it's the same joyful feeling I got when I saw the first screens of Wind Waker, but I get how it can be divisive. Seems like a double-down on the plastic look of A Link Between Worlds but much more impactful.

I hope the get this experimental with the art direction of a possible new 2D Mario.

Last edited:

blackjon24

Astral chain looked cool definitely inspired by freedom wars. Nothing else really impressed me wondering why i bought this system at all

Last edited:

zenspider

I feel like, money where my mouth is, I'm getting or am seriously interested like 6-7 of the announced titles, and my girlfriend's take might swing another few - and we're 4 months out from e3, other directs and announcements.

Did my wildest dreams come true? No. Is my Switch gathering one mote of dust in 2019? Doubtful.

FStubbs

This was an excellent direct. If this were an E3 presentation, it would be a contender for a "winning" presentation. Does a great job of setting the tone for the year.

... really glad I waited on playing DQ11. The Switch version is the only true version lol.

Lots and lots of good games coming down the pike. Switch is hitting its stride now.

Mr Hyde

I´m very pleased with the Direct. Lots of new games for me to look forward too and as JRPG fan the Switch is turning out to be the best device of them all for this beloved genre. Switch is building up a seriously good looking library of games and I´m super excited about Astral Chain, Daemon X Machina (downloaded the demo, trying it out this weekend), Hellblade, Dragon Quest, Links Awakening, Onikiri, Bloodstained (which looked incredible, like the true successor to Symphony of the Night. Always thought this game looked rough before, but now, goddamn), Unravel 2 and all the other great games that was announced. I´m a bit disappointed that Nintendo didn´t announce MP Trilogy but I´m 200% sure that it will come eventually. Right now, I´m just so happy I bought a Switch. One of the best purchases I´ve made in my 30+ year something career of gaming.

Top Bottom