• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Direct: new presentation (over) (Wii U / 3DS)

Zubz

Banned
We need a #NOMOREPIKMIN campaing going

You serious? I love Pikmin, and quite frankly, I want more of it! Granted, they are really late on making a demo for Pikmin 3. It's been like, what, 2 years now? The shorts look really cool, though! If I wasn't saving money for the DKC Trilogies on the Virtual Console (As an American, this could be a several year wait...), I'd happily buy them all.

Josh5890

Watching primarily for WiiU I couldn't help but feel disappointed. Nothing new was announced.

Have Nintendo moved on already?

Moved on? We have Splatoon, Smash Bros, Captain Toad, Yoshi's Wolley World, Mario Maker, Kirby Wii-U, Legend of Zelda, Mario Party 10, Xenoblade X Chronicles, Star Fox, and Myamoto's two projects.

They haven't moved on from the Wii-U.

Shaanyboi

Banned
I feel like it was a missed opportunity to not call Codename S.T.E.A.M. THE S.T.E.A.M. TEAM

Watching primarily for WiiU I couldn't help but feel disappointed. Nothing new was announced.

wha? They talked about like less than half of the WiiU games we know they're making...

:lol Every time you think the Wii U couldn't possibly become worse, they manage to pull this shit off regardless... With these vague ass release dates and the abscence of most E3 content for a spring Direct, another year of droughts is basically confirmed. I expect silence on Mario Maker until it is reintroduced as the 2015 holiday title. And if it wasn't clear enough, there's no way something like Zelda is gonna come out before 2016.
So much for 1 game per month, lol. Not that I ever believed it, but it's still amusing.

I just don't get it. How could you have expected more? Nintendo is one company. Frankly, the pace at which they're releasing games as it is is astounding. Perhaps others have greater expectations, but I knew going in that there were only so many games Nintendo could possibly make at a time (fortunately, I want to buy all of them). People should certainly know by now, that when you buy a Nintendo system you can basically count on there being droughts.

I was watching GameXplain's Preview on MK8's DLC and I found this
ibsUNGNqtdfhrE.png

They are not going to take a AAA Wii U game out of their ass, big announcements are mostly saved for E3

The time for Nintendo to save the Wii U never existed...

Splatoon and X looked cool.

Then a remake of Galaxy, or Sunshine, or Metroid Prime whatever. Nintendo fans would get insanely excited about that. Why not use this oppurtunity?

Jomjom

Banned
Nintendo Directs kick the crap out of every presentation on stage or otherwise out there. If the big 3 all did this, I wouldn't need a E3.

cacildo

You serious? I love Pikmin, and quite frankly, I want more of it! Granted, they are really late on making a demo for Pikmin 3. It's been like, what, 2 years now? The shorts look really cool, though! If I wasn't saving money for the DKC Trilogies on the Virtual Console (As an American, this could be a several year wait...), I'd happily buy them all.

But its just too much.
Remember every single direct before Pikmin 3 release. It was a Pikmin overload.
And then Pikmin 3 was released. Finally. But they never stopped talking about Pikmin 3
And today "Here´s a direct! Lets talk about new games and... OH NO WE WONT! HERES MORE PIKMIN3!"

And BTW im not buying pikmin 3. Its not that i hate the pikmin series, its just that the timer makes me really nervous. I hate games with timers.
I also hate games in which you HAVE to be perfect, like Rhythm heaven

I dont even need new games. Just N64 VC was already great.

But no. No dice. Not happening. At least Duck Hunt VC is a thing now.

Axass

Can't believe I got no bingo, I was sure I had it this time around. Kirby shown insted of Yoshi and the lack of 3DS games got me good.

Anyway amazing direct, great news (aside from Kirby being months away in Europe for whatever stupid reason), great games... and MM3D:

I will eat my own head if they announce Majora's Mask 3d.

Get ready, because the Spring 3DS line-up is barren and MM3D would be perfect to fill it.

Ahem.

hatchx

Banned
To top it off though, now 3DS lineup is looking very slim for the first 6 months, and we might not even be getting N3DS until the second half of 2015. Maybe even a holiday release. If this happens it would seem as if we won't get an actual new handheld until 2017, with Wii U being replaced before 3DS in 2016.

That's a lot of conclusion jumping.

Yoshi's Yarn and Mario Maker were still slated as first half of 2015 according to their investor report like a week ago.

The lineup shown today seemed quite random. Show of Xenoblade with a small amount of details, then say they 'hope' for 2015? They show off MonHun4 Mario/Luigi specials, still without a release date.

It seemed like they just wanted to tease a couple of 2015 games, in complete random order. This is the same company that didn't think to announce Starfox or Devil's Third during their e3 press video.

I wouldn't look too far into it.

And BTW im not buying pikmin 3. Its not that i hate the pikmin series, its just that the timer makes me really nervous. I hate games with timers.

Not for nothing, but there isn't really a timer in Pikmin 3. It's just that if you spend several days doing absolutely nothing, you get a game over. It's not really unusual for games where you die if you perform poorly.

And you absolutely do not have to be perfect. It's just that the game keeps track of how many days you've been playing and how many Pikmin have died, so it's just an optional challenge.

Morts

Duck Hunt on Virtual Console is an awesome surprise that I've wanted basically since the Wii Remote was unveiled. Wish we knew when it was coming.

Kirby Wii U coming in February is great too. I wasn't expecting it so soon.

Was kind of hoping Majora's Mask would be New 3DS exclusive so it could be prettier. I'm still getting it anyway since it's probably my favorite Zelda.

Oh I didn't think it was okay, they showed way more than I would have expected in this window. This was a great direct. I haven't read this thread, but there are actually people who are disappointed?

I'm pretty surprised they showed Xenoblade X, and shocked Splatoon is Q2 already.
Considering what they need to sell over the next two months, that was a lot of content next year to be showcasing.

People were way too hyped. I don't know why people expected a ton of announcements in a November Direct.

The crazy 2013 Direct was at the beginning of the year. They aren't going to have a crazy one before Christmas/holidays.

Unlike some I liked the Splatoon footage. Glad it also has a single player mode.

Some good stuff coming next year.

Kirby
Yoshi
Xenoblade
Zelda
Splatoon
Mario Maker
Devil's Third (if it really has gotten much better since E3)
Star Fox (hopefully not delayed to 2016)

of course there will also be surprises at E3

Ataru

Unconfirmed Member
To top it off though, now 3DS lineup is looking very slim for the first 6 months, and we might not even be getting N3DS until the second half of 2015. Maybe even a holiday release. If this happens it would seem as if we won't get an actual new handheld until 2017, with Wii U being replaced before 3DS in 2016.

I'm pretty sure they will both be replaced at the same time.

Console/Handheld hybrid.

cacildo

Not for nothing, but there isn't really a timer in Pikmin 3. It's just that if you spend several days doing absolutely nothing, you get a game over. It's not really unusual for games where you die if you perform poorly.

And you absolutely do not have to be perfect. It's just that the game keeps track of how many days you've been playing and how many Pikmin have died, so it's just an optional challenge.

Wait, it isnt like the first Pikmin, like, you have to get everything done before the sun goes down each day?

Axass

As always lots of negativity from people expecting megaton after megaton after megaton. The direct was great and focused exactly on what it said, Spring, adding even info on other stuff coming later on. Besides we're probably getting a December or January direct with much more cool stuff, and probably a few surprises, like all years so far.

Brqan

As always lots of negativity from people expecting megaton after megaton after megaton. The direct was great and focused exactly on what it said, Spring, adding even info on other stuff coming later on. Besides we're probably getting a December or January direct with much more cool stuff, and probably a few surprises, like all years so far.
GAf gonna GAF.

Crocodile

Starting the direct with Majora's Mask probably messed with expectations in a bad way but the content of this direct was still super solid. Lots of good footage and games :)

Wait, it isnt like the first Pikmin, like, you have to get everything done before the sun goes down each day?

Oh, that's what you were talking about - I thought you were referring to the 30 day time limit in Pikmin 1.

Yeah, it's the same in Pikmin 3 where you have to get your Pikmin back in the group at the end of the day.

But its just too much.
Remember every single direct before Pikmin 3 release. It was a Pikmin overload.
And then Pikmin 3 was released. Finally. But they never stopped talking about Pikmin 3
And today "Here´s a direct! Lets talk about new games and... OH NO WE WONT! HERES MORE PIKMIN3!"

Give in. Give in.

Anyway. The timer in Pikmin 3 isn't a big deal. At night just go back to your spaceship. Even if you don't and lose some Pikmin.....no big deal. The timer only appears 10 seconds before the day is over (and counts down slow giving you plenty of time)

In US Direct, but not in Japanese:
Ultimate NES Remix 3DS/ Theme
Buying on Nintendo.com
Duck Hunt Dog Trailer
Duck Hunt coming to Virtual Console
Indie Games/ Commander Video Trophy in Wii U? Awesome!
Persona Q themed 3DS XL (Looks pretty sweet)
Sonic Boom Puzzle
Monster Hunter Nintendo crossover (Japan got it previously I think)

In Japanese Direct, but not in American:
Etrian Odyssey 2 for 3DS
Derby Stallion Gold for 3DS
Final Fantasy Explorers for 3DS
Attack on Titan for 3DS
Devil Survivor 2: Break Record for 3DS
Badass Rumble 6 for 3DS
Acecombat 3D Cross Rumble+ with amiibo support to have planes with Nintendo themes
Lost Heroes 2 for 3DS
Atelier Rorona for 3DS
Monster Hunter 4G Episodic Content
Project S.T.E.A.M was narrated by Iwata, not Bill
More plates for New Nintendo 3DS

Also, Japan has a special promotion for buying Pokemon: OR or AS and Smash 3DS. Get a Greninja for Pokemon OR/AS, and Game and Watch Gallery 3 for the Virtual Console.

MilesTeg

Banned
That's a lot of conclusion jumping.

Yoshi's Yarn and Mario Maker were still slated as first half of 2015 according to their investor report like a week ago.

The lineup shown today seemed quite random. Show of Xenoblade with a small amount of details, then say they 'hope' for 2015? They show off MonHun4 Mario/Luigi specials, still without a release date.

It seemed like they just wanted to tease a couple of 2015 games, in complete random order. This is the same company that didn't think to announce Starfox or Devil's Third during their e3 press video.

I wouldn't look too far into it.

I know about the investor report. With the history of Wii U, it's tough not to think it won't be the same in first half 2015 as it was in 2013 or 2014. Meaning slim pickings until the second half. It's been a major reason why the console can't get any momentum going.

Now we have to wait for another direct, and the longer we wait, the chances of Mario Party/Mario Maker/Yoshi etc etc dates slipping further increases.

I know I jumped the gun a bit there, but when Nintendo has a direct and says games until spring, then only shows two Wii U games for first half 2015, it's just kinda par for the course for the console and at the moment, imo it would be wise to assume that's all they got for first half 2015 until further notice.

Riposte

I imagine people were screaming "Valkyria Chronicles!" (soon coming to steam) at this monitors when Bill Trinten said "...unlike any strategy game out there" while this was live.

Starting the direct with Majora's Mask probably messed with expectations in a bad way but the content of this direct was still super solid. Lots of good footage and games :)

I think it's smart they're showing they're big announcement at the front, for whatever reason they don't time out the 3 directs (US, Japan, PAL) to be the same length so any announcements as the end gets spoiled by whoever's show ends first. I remember lots of "WHAT MEGA MAN IN SMASH" on twitter half way though the US E3 Nintendo Direct in 2013. Ideally they'd figure out a way to time 5-10 minutes of regional content in the middle so that the shows would stay in synch for the major announcements.

Top Bottom