• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Direct: new presentation (over) (Wii U / 3DS)

Phanservice

Neo Member
Anyone else annoyed that miyamoto is showing off his flip note when we still don't even have the app yet. It was suppose to release over a year ago. Very nice miyamoto!

Also pricing for the pikmin shorts is a joke. Can't believe you can't get the other version free or at a discount if you buy one version.

B1tcoCtCIAE08SN.jpg:large
I. Need. This.

The boxart looks gorgeous.

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
Was kind of surprised at no Yoshi. Hopefully that's still in the first half of the year. Everything they showed looked good, and I'm really excited that we're getting Kirby in February.

Molemitts

Nintendo UK had a video up showing the special edition of Majora 3D. It's private now. Recon they weren't meant to reveal it yet?

Josh5890

Exactly or Jan like 2013

But let the crying babies keep asking where is Zelda, Star Fox, SMTxFE, Yoshi, Mario Maker, Devils Third

We know its a lot coming, Nintendo doesnt want to show everything at once, calm down people none of these games coming out tomorrow its plenty of time to see them

Agreed. It's like people forgot Smash Wii-U is coming out in two weeks! I know these games are coming out eventually so lets enjoy what we have right now.

It really was though. technically they do reveal games in most directs, just not big games. I would be shocked if they reveal any big games at this direct.

For me, the only direct that revealed anything that I cared about was E3. Zelda and Splatoon look genuinely fun. Every other direct I have ever seen has pretty much been meh. Logically, strategically, what would be good for Nintendo to announce today?

1) They need to build hype for and sell Smash. It's all they got this holiday.
2) They need to hype something for 3DS, I'm thinking MH4
3) They need to keep hyping WiiUs library so show more MK8 stuff
4) They need to sell WiiU (bundles, eshop specials, etc)
5) 2015 for PS4 and XBO is looking like a Juggernaught at this early stage. They have to save their big guns for E3. To reveal a big game like a new Metroid now is just poor timing.

Wow I'm betting people would prefer my conservatice prediction over what actually happened. This is why I was trying to keep expectations in check.

Zomba13

They can only do so much when it's an after thought (Mario Kart, Hyrule Warriors).

The Link stuff was cool though, a new weapon and fits in with the Amiibo (the spinning top, like a base link stands on). The stuff where other characters just give you a random thing made me laugh though. The Mario stuff would have been cool as a Mii costume pack download but it does make an excellent case for buying Captain Falcon Amiibo.

Europe.

U.S.

Those crushed blacks..

They passed the camera feed through an Xbone for Europe :(

Was kind of surprised at no Yoshi. Hopefully that's still in the first half of the year. Everything they showed looked good, and I'm really excited that we're getting Kirby in February.

I dont think you have to worry. I bet between now and february we will get another Direct, which will focus on games like Yoshi and Mario Maker.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Exciting:

> Kirby footage and release month
> Mario Kart 8 DLC footage and info
> Amiibo integration into various games
> Majora's Mask 3D confirmed
> Captain Toad footage

Underwhelming:

> Splatoon footage, info and release quarter
> Xenoblade Chronicles X footage and hint at delay
> Duck Hunt reveal
> Codename STEAM stuff
> NES Remix stuff
> Pikmin Pikmin Pikmin Pikmin Pikmin

Terrifying:

> Those Monster Hunter 4 costumes, good gracious

Crayolan

The only disappointment in this direct is a lack of Yoshi/Mario Maker updates.

I don't expect them to drop any huge announcements until a January/February direct.

slit

Is anyone as excited as me about Code Name Steam? I saw the trailer but no one seems to be mentioning it much. Maybe MM 3D stole it's thunder. That's my most anticipated 3DS title.

69wpm

Pikmin Shorts Movies! *o*

How much time we have to wait to see them in Youtube? xD

Not long. Even though I hope people actually buy them so we get more animated short movies. If people want to have a shot at seeing Metroid, Zelda, etc. animated, now is your chance.

Astral Dog

FUCK Xenoblade X, where is my FFXV?

And lol, were some people seriously expecting Zelda U and SMTxFE on this Direct?

The Wii U is worthless now blahblahblah.

Im gonna miss Bayonetta 2 on the Directs now :(

Sendou

Is anyone as excited as me about Code Name Steam? I saw the trailer but no one seems to be mentioning it much. Maybe MM 3D stole it's thunder. That's my most anticipated 3DS title.

It's mine too. IS being behind it should be enough to get anyone hyped. I have liked everything shown so far.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
How does Splatoon look underwhelming?

I like Splatoon in general, I'm excited for it, but the segment they gave it in this Direct was underwhelming. Just a release quarter, no release date or month — we already knew it would be first half 2015 and it probably WOULDN'T be early 2015, so "quarter 2 2015" isn't even really news. The single-player campaign is news, but isn't surprising, and they didn't show a ton of it, so meh.

Drago

Really confused and kinda worried that there wasn't anything on Yoshi Woolly World. Was totally expecting that to be the February game but it didn't even show up at all! :(

It was still listed for 1H 2014 as recent as the earnings report a week or so back so I'm not too worried about a delay or anything but it sucks we didn't get anything at all for it.

Enjoyed the Direct beyond that though. 3DS is still kinda barren next year but Majora's Mask 3D is very, very, very much appreciated. :D

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action

I am super hyped. Portable steampunk cel shaded Abraham Lincoln vs Aliens by way of XCOM. Fucking IN.

Impotaku

Suprised by all the majoras mask excitement, surely people must have gotten bored of that game by now? Played them to death on N64 unless this 3D version has some extra totally new content then i'll pass.

MilesTeg

Banned
I like Splatoon in general, I'm excited for it, but the segment they gave it in this Direct was underwhelming. Just a release quarter, no release date or month — we already knew it would be first half 2015 and it probably WOULDN'T be early 2015, so "quarter 2 2015" isn't even really news. The single-player campaign is news, but isn't surprising, and they didn't show a ton of it, so meh.

To be honest I don't care about single player in Splatoon at all, the game is clearly meant to be a multiplayer game. I would like to hear more about features and modes in online play rather than single player stuff. If they do it right Splatoon could end up being a hit with online multiplayer fans, exactly the type of game/new IP Nintendo needs.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
It was an ok direct. People always get themselves way too hyped up for these things.

Oh I didn't think it was okay, they showed way more than I would have expected in this window. This was a great direct. I haven't read this thread, but there are actually people who are disappointed?

I'm pretty surprised they showed Xenoblade X, and shocked Splatoon is Q2 already.
Considering what they need to sell over the next two months, that was a lot of content next year to be showcasing.

18-Volt

Disappointed about late release dates. But better late than never, I can wait. Hopfully we'll see some 3DS localization early next year, I really need stuff like Final Fantasy Explorers, Samurai Warriors Chronicles 2, Etrian Odyssey Untold 2 and Tales of the World Reve Unitia.

Fady K

Very disappointed that Nintendo is likely going to ignore Fatal Frame AGAIN. Pathetic move when the WiiU is not loaded with many upcoming games.

Josh5890

Haven't we heard from insiders before that Nintendo is looking to release one Wii-U game a month in 2015? There is a lot to look forward to.

Tookay

Suprised by all the majoras mask excitement, surely people must have gotten bored of that game by now? Played them to death on N64 unless this 3D version has some extra totally new content then i'll pass.

No?

I want a version that has spruced up graphics and runs well.

In US Direct, but not in Japanese:
Ultimate NES Remix 3DS/ Theme
Buying on Nintendo.com
Duck Hunt Dog Trailer
Duck Hunt coming to Virtual Console
Indie Games/ Commander Video Trophy in Wii U? Awesome!
Persona Q themed 3DS XL (Looks pretty sweet)
Sonic Boom Puzzle
Monster Hunter Nintendo crossover (Japan got it previously I think)

In Japanese Direct, but not in American:
Etrian Odyssey 2 for 3DS
Derby Stallion Gold for 3DS
Final Fantasy Explorers for 3DS
Attack on Titan for 3DS
Devil Survivor 2: Break Record for 3DS
Badass Rumble 6 for 3DS
Acecombat 3D Cross Rumble+ with amiibo support to have planes with Nintendo themes
Lost Heroes 2 for 3DS
Atelier Rorona for 3DS
Monster Hunter 4G Episodic Content
Project S.T.E.A.M was narrated by Iwata, not Bill
More plates for New Nintendo 3DS

That's kind of my thing. I mean, it's a great, unique game, and it should look nicer at the higher framerate, higher polygon models, 3D, etc. But OoT was a fairly direct port. Ultimately this is them leading forward with another N64 game on 3DS. It's very nice to have, but it's a bad sign that it's possibly the biggest highlight of this Nintendo Direct, I feel.

Astral Dog

On the Wii U side disappointing. Why not a single new AAA- game, or atleast a remake? Wii U has nothing and dies..

They are not going to take a AAA Wii U game out of their ass, big announcements are mostly saved for E3

The time for Nintendo to save the Wii U never existed...

Splatoon and X looked cool.

Josh5890

The thing that gets me excited for it is that I don't have to start the game save everytime on Day 1 and I can put my game to sleep.

KooopaKid

Banned

How?

DJIzana

The footage of Xenoblade was damn amazing... not happy about the possible delay though. THAT... really doesn't fit well with me. :(

cacildo

Exciting:

> Kirby footage and release month
> Mario Kart 8 DLC footage and info
> Amiibo integration into various games
> Majora's Mask 3D confirmed
> Captain Toad footage

Underwhelming:

> Splatoon footage, info and release quarter
> Xenoblade Chronicles X footage and hint at delay
> Duck Hunt reveal
> Codename STEAM stuff
> NES Remix stuff
> Pikmin Pikmin Pikmin Pikmin Pikmin

Terrifying:

> Those Monster Hunter 4 costumes, good gracious

We need a #NOMOREPIKMIN campaing going

virtualS

Watching primarily for WiiU I couldn't help but feel disappointed. Nothing new was announced.

Have Nintendo moved on already?

Top Bottom