• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Direct September 13th for Switch and 3DS

sinonobu

Banned
This definitely felt like a "shoring up defenses" sort of Direct but, all things considered, that's not shocking. The Bethesda announcements were big enough to make a splash and, honestly, with there being a major Nintendo title coming out every month through December, I feel like there wasn't much room for new announcements anyways.

Early next year seems a bit barren I'll admit. Still time to fill those slots though.

The only big questions for me at this point are BOTW DLC (why didn't it get a trailer?) and what the hell is up with Animal Crossing.

I reckon they will do another one between Nov~Jan that will cover some holiday releases along with early 2018 line up.

phant0m

Great direct, really jam packed. Doom & Wolf II was huge. I get they don't want to do VC right now and cannibalize their "Classic" system sales, but some N64 or GCN games would be pretty cool.....a port of Melee would sell hotcakes.

Also good
troll Kamiya. But Bayo1/2 pack plz.

I wonder if Blizz is working on D3 for the Switch at all. It really was a blast to play local shared screen on PS3/4.

Andyliini

I enjoyed this Direct. Only the Xenoblade Chronicles 2 section was a bit too long. I'm glad the game finally has a release date, it's definitely coming this year now, and I can't wait for it. I need to check out were I can find the Collector's Edition soon, do not want to miss that.

Super Mario Odyssey looks phenomenal, so much ideas put into a single game like that. Also nice to get Skyrim release date. I was already sold for Fire Emblem Warriors, but more characters, the merrier.

This year, almost every month has had some kind of video presentation from Nintendo: January had Switch press conference and Fire Emblem Direct, while February had Nindies Showcase. March had nothing, April had this years first general Direct. May had ARMS Direct, and June had E3 Spotlight. Jly had Splatoon 2 Direct, and April blessed us with another Nindies Showcase. And not this Direct was on September. I think next month there could be Fire Emblem Warriors Direct, if the want to show some more characters and a Season Pass. Another general Direct could also fit in November or December, where next years line-up is shown. Hopefully some megatons will be shown then.

Ansatz

Your post gives me the impression that you have no recollection of the Wii U's first year. We got NSMBU/NintendoLand at launch, than NO first party games until Pikmin 3 nine months later. Considering we haven't even hit the 7 month mark and we have this much stuff coming our way, I'd say things are going pretty damn well.

You have to remember that you are comparing Switch to the combined output of whatever handheld + console was out depending on the gen you are looking at which means during that time we had, in addition to those Wii U titles,

Paper Mario Sticker Star
Crashmo
Fire Emblem Awakening
Luigi's Mansion 2

You get the idea

You almost refuse to be satisfied. Like, with anything.

It's hard to be pleased when you grew up playing games like Super Mario Bros 3, A Link to the Past, Metroid Prime, Warcraft 3, Metal Gear Solid 2, Portal, Super Mario Galaxy, etc. but the thing is devs aren't even trying anymore. I'm probably gonna loose it if Prime 4 is some Next Level shit or Retro's game is an MMO of some sort with microtransactions and daily quests.

Odyssey though, damn. Instead of some awkward open world aspect they went with the N64 era collectathon approach combined with the moment to moment platforming brilliance of Galaxy (minus the gravity effects) which is a great compromise, and on top of that the ability to transform into virtually anything that moves as well as an interesting take on the double jump mechanic (throw hat). And the best of all, playing a version of SMB that takes place in a 2D plane wrapped around a cylindrical pillar contained inside the latest 3D Mario. Now that's how you video game

neoemonk

The complaints about not getting new far off announcements are amazing. Gaf has had multiple threads in the past complaining about games being announced too early and yet when a company decides NOT to do that y'all whine about not having anything new to look forward to.

There is just no winning with you guys.

YOU DONT KNOW WHAT YOU RIKE

Nintendo won't have enough Switch units this holiday
It will be wild
I managed to find a Grey one on tuesday at a gamestop close by. I picked it up the moment he said yes we have one. I only have Zelda,Sonic Mania and Fast RMX but i havent put it down other than to go to work and sleep. What is life?

m0t0k1

Happy with the 3ds output. Really looking forward to Samus returns, Mario Party, New Style Boutique, Kirby, Layton, Etrian, Dillon, Shin Megami Tensei. Will probably get them all.

The Switch on the other hand still hasn't convinced me to buy. The only thing i really look forward to this year and got me hype is Mario and next year maybe Kirby and Yoshi. I don't really care for western fps games, sports games and indie games. I miss the Wii U days at least i always had something to look forward too in the first year. Seems like they trying to Switch up the games and target demographic with this thing. Sadly those games don't interest me. On the positive side saves me money.

I enjoyed this Direct. Only the Xenoblade Chronicles 2 section was a bit too long. I'm glad the game finally has a release date, it's definitely coming this year now, and I can't wait for it. I need to check out were I can find the Collector's Edition soon, do not want to miss that.

Still available at Best Buy, here you go: https://www.bestbuy.com/site/xenobl...witch-nintendo-switch/6111329.p?skuId=6111329

No word on the Switch Pro version of XC2 yet if you are interested in that one.

At first I didn't like the con cept of these Direct videos but now I think Nintendo is onto something. E3 has become a huge waste of time over the years with too much hype and terrible presentations. Direct videos are to the point and we don't have to wait all year for them.

They are pacing their games out very well, getting decent third party support and creating a product much better identified than the WiiU ever had. I don't see the desire for Switch ending any time soon, it's going to be in huge demand this holiday.

atr0cious

You have to remember that you are comparing Switch to the combined output of whatever handheld + console was out depending on the gen you are looking at which means during that time we had, in addition to those Wii U titles,

Paper Mario Sticker Star
Crashmo
Fire Emblem Awakening
Luigi's Mansion 2

You get the idea

It's hard to be pleased when you grew up playing games like Super Mario Bros 3, A Link to the Past, Metroid Prime, Warcraft 3, Metal Gear Solid 2, Portal, Super Mario Galaxy, etc. but the thing is devs aren't even trying anymore. I'm probably gonna loose it if Prime 4 is some Next Level shit or Retro's game is an MMO of some sort with microtransactions and daily quests.
. I miss the Wii U days at least i always had something to look forward too in the first year.
These posts are from the Berenstein timeline.

Menitta

I was satisfied with that direct. DOOM and Mario Party Top 100 Collection are the two things I'm excited about. Mario Odyssey still looks like it'll be the best game ever. The only disappointing thing about the direct was UMUS. It still looks like a very underwhelming update compared to Platinum and B2W2.

oti

Banned
Detailing the immediate future is what Nintendo Directs have been about since the beginning.

That's why people are laughing about all those crying about it. They still haven't learnt.

There was one exception to this rule, when they announced Wii U games way before release.

The result was people complaining those games didn't come out for a long time after their announcement.

People will never be happy.

🤷*♂️

jackuiowa

Was selfishly hoping for an overpriced Mario collectors edition with an obnoxious red hat.

Also wanted bayo 1/2 and smash. Still very happy with what's coming to both 3ds and switch.

CheckMate

Gonna bet there is going to be a January Direct similar to this year that revels all the big games coming for 2018.

Fire Emblem, Metroid, Smash Switch, Animal Crossing and Pokemon seem like enough "spotlight" titles for 2018.

Gonna bet there is going to be a January Direct similar to this year that revels all the big games coming for 2018.

Fire Emblem, Metroid, Smash Switch, Animal Crossing and Pokemon seem like enough "spotlight" titles for 2018.

Technically it wasn't a direct but a live presentation.

snort snort

JustenP88

I earned 100 Gamerscore™ for collecting 300 widgets and thereby created Trump's America
Nintendo has got stuff going on at TGS, right? What about Platinum? I don't typically follow TGS that closely so I'm not sure how that event usually goes... But what the fuck is Platinum doing c'mon

m0t0k1

These posts are from the Berenstein timeline.

I have no idea what Berenstein is but i am more into arcade like games. And Wii u had plenty of those.

New Super Mario Bros, Nintendo Land, Tekken Tag Tournament 2 and later on we got Ninja Gaiden, Pikmin 3. and that is not even counting the 3ds games in that year i enjoyed.

Games i liked or are looking forward to on switch is only Mario Oddysey for this year. Looking at the current line up i also enjoy Puyo Puyo x Tetris but i got that game on ps3 years ago and still works fine for a quick multiplayer session. Instead of showing games like Pikmin 4 or at least ports of recent games like Tekken 7.

Not that i expect them at release or anything. But the kind of games Nintendo is showing has just changed. In both what they themself create as what kind of 3rd party offerings they like to show. Its more like they release games in current trends and add a Nintendo flavor to it then creating games i expect out of Nintendo.

Obviously that was a great Direct for DOOM and Octopath alone, not to mention Odyssey.

But I can't help but notice there is a lot still missing that we should have realistically been expecting. Ubisoft said they'd have more games to announce "very soon" as of a couple months ago, Platinum has been confirmed to be working on Switch game(s) and has been teasing Bayonetta and W101 left and right, Tales and Taiko were confirmed by Bamco to be releasing this FY (aka before next March) yet still haven't been announced, DQXI was the first ever game confirmed for the platform yet it's still a complete mystery...

I wonder when all of these announcements will happen.

JustenP88

I earned 100 Gamerscore™ for collecting 300 widgets and thereby created Trump's America
Nintendo generally doesn't attend TGS. I could be wrong tho.

Yeah, Google seems to suggest the same. I guess there's hope for Platinum.

Surprised we're not getting info on Stardew Valley. I thought the release was pretty much imminent and it's got the potential to be the Switch's biggest indie release yet. I figured Nintendo would be pimping it by now.

Ridley327

This Direct is the one that finally confirmed to me that 2017 is the last significant year for the platform.

We're just expecting late localizations for the most part, right? I'm not sure if the likes of Yokai Watch 3 and (probably) Dragon Quest XI are what you hang your year on, so we might see some neat but smaller games to help pad out their retail offerings. Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised to see a Switch port or two, like more along the lines of Snipperclips.

phanphare

Banned
Pretty good direct, kinda let down that we still dob't have a date for Golf Story though :/

Hopefully we get more new switch stuff at TGS.

september 28th is the only date Golf Story can release on

it's not coming out today, next week is Steam World Dig 2, and the week after is the last Thursday in September

atr0cious

I have no idea what Berenstein is but i am more into arcade like games. And Wii u had plenty of those.

New Super Mario Bros, Nintendo Land, Tekken Tag Tournament 2 and later on we got Ninja Gaiden, Pikmin 3. and that is not even counting the 3ds games in that year i enjoyed.

Games i liked or are looking forward to on switch is only Mario Oddysey for this year. Looking at the current line up i also enjoy Puyo Puyo x Tetris but i got that game on ps3 years ago and still works fine for a quick multiplayer session. Instead of showing games like Pikmin 4 or at least ports of recent games like Tekken 7.

Not that i expect them at release or anything. But the kind of games Nintendo is showing has just changed. In both what they themself create as what kind of 3rd party offerings they like to show. Its more like they release games in current trends and add a Nintendo flavor to it then creating games i expect out of Nintendo.
Are you forgetting all the arcade games already hit the system? If that's the most you're gonna go with, then I know you haven't "finished" Blaster Master 0, Snake Pass, Tumbleseed, your pick of the litter from the Neo Geo catalog, Gonner, Spla2n or ARMS, considering they came out within 3 months and pikmin took 9 months to hit the system. I've even heard good things about Implosion if you need a cheap little beatem up. Nintendoland was my goty for 2012 and I bought Game and Wario day one too, but there's no way you can say the switch is deficient in it's offering of arcade games currently or on the horizon, especially compared to the wii u's first year. So those not suited to your taste is another thing, but that is personal problem not a failure of Nintendo.

You're not excited for rocket league at least?

I think this was a really good show overall. The timing of this direct didn't make sense for a major 2018 first party reveal. They're putting all the lights on Oddysey and Xeno which are coming out soon and they're trying to promote their 3rd party partners that have some important titles coming this year (Skyrim, Doom, NBA, FIFA, Rocket League).

I get that people are disappointed with the lack of news on Smash & Animal Crossing but we know those are coming. It's cool that they've actually announced the non-obvious stuff that is far off - stuff like Prime 4, Pokemon and a console Fire Emblem. Those are games we didn't get for a decade (or ever in Pokemon's case), and just 3 months after the console's launch they've already promised all of those, even though they're early development. I mean I think they deserve some credit for that. They need to keep some cards in the sleeve for 2018.

There's so much to play this year, I'm personally very happy and have to pick and choose what I want most.

I'm really impressed with the third party support Switch is getting from both indies and big publishers. It's way more that I've anticipated, especially for the first 9 months.

brinstar

Man Mario, Skyrim, FE warriors, Xenoblade and Pokemon... I kind of hope they do slow down releases in january cause i'm gonna be busy lmao

Meesh

Awesome direct, that Koizumi (spelling?) has super charisma, like he needs a futching cape or something. Wherever he goes he should wear a cape and just zoom around snapping his fingers and bringing us the goods lol.

I think Nintendo has been trying to strategically make certain statements throughout the year. In January they wanted to both show off the console and first party games but also talk about Japanese third party support. April was about showing that the Switch will have a lot of good competitive online multiplayer games. June was about showcasing first party titles. Now September is about big single player games as well as western support. And Nindie support is peppered in all throughout the year.

suicreeps

I'm kind of surprised Nintendo is putting so much investment in Xenoblade, they obviously want it to be a bigger game sales-wise, but I'm not really sure if it can.

Fandangox

I have no idea what Berenstein is.

The Berenstain Bears is a franchise of children books. Its spelled Berenstain, but a large group of people for the longest time have claimed that the spelling was always Berenstein. Stuff like this is referred as the
. The joke is that people who remember it one way and people that remember it the other way are from different timelines that have converged.

DEEP LORE

I thought the Direct was good. All I really wanted was more Mario Odyssey gameplay and a Xenoblade 2 release date for this year so the Kirby gameplay and DOOM announcement was a great surprise.

I reckon they will do another one between Nov~Jan that will cover some holiday releases along with early 2018 line up.

Yeah I'm expecting another Direct in mid November which will cover the BotW DLC, new Kirby / Yoshi footage with solid dates with a couple of new game announcements for their Q1 line up (maybe Pikmin 4 and Smash).

Moving into mid 2018 and E3 I think they will bring out the big guns by showing Metroid Prime 4, Animal Crossing, Retro Studios project, Pokemon, Luigi's Mansion 3, Fire Emblem and Odyssey DLC with four of them releasing that year (Metroid and Pokemon will probably be 2019 releases).

I'm kind of surprised Nintendo is putting so much investment in Xenoblade, they obviously want it to be a bigger game sales-wise, but I'm not really sure if it can.

Some games can sell less (within reason) if they really appeal to a certain audience. I think a lot of people who are waiting on Xenoblade will rank it top 3 in their reasons for getting a Switch. For a company so reliant on their first party output it's important to have some diversification. Nintendo doesn't really have anything like Xenoblade in their portfolio.

Disclosure: never played Xeno, on the fence regarding Xeno 2.

Plum

Bit of a tertiary comment but goddamn does Amazon UK take a while to update their stuff. I want to pre-order Skyrim and DOOM yet the former's still listed as £60 (I know, price guarantee, but I like to know the actual price before pre-ordering things) and the latter hasn't even appeared. They haven't even updated the FE: Warriors boxart and release date despite that game coming out in a month's time.

m0t0k1

Are you forgetting all the arcade games already hit the system? If that's the most you're gonna go with, then I know you haven't "finished" Blaster Master 0, Snake Pass, Tumbleseed, your pick of the litter from the Neo Geo catalog, Gonner, Spla2n or ARMS, considering they came out within 3 months and pikmin took 9 months to hit the system. I've even heard good things about Implosion if you need a cheap little beatem up. Nintendoland was my goty for 2012 and I bought Game and Wario day one too, but there's no way you can say the switch is deficient in it's offering of arcade games currently or on the horizon, especially compared to the wii u's first year. So those not suited to your taste is another thing, but that is personal problem not a failure of Nintendo.

You're not excited for rocket league at least?

Thanks for the suggestions. I did play Blaster Master 0 on the 3ds. It was an enjoyable experience. But i meant more games with a bigger budget put behind it then indie games. They can be fun but most that i have played but i feel like they aren't full fledged replacement for games we could get on the SNES or GBA for example. They are games nice to have when you already have a Switch but not the games you run out to get a switch for. I already still have my old Neo Geo games and Collections on my Wii so i don't need to buy metal slug 3 which is one of my all time favourite games another time.

The thing i meant with Nintendo adding a flavour to the trends is a perfect example for Splatoon. Nintendo never did a shooter and created Splatoon. I got it on the Wii u but i did not enjoy it at all. mainly thanks to the options of not being able to select a map and getting for me the most important part the movement options. Arms looks like a Wii sports boxing plus which i enjoyed but not willing to spent full price on so i might wait for a sale on that. Rocket league i already grew tired of on steam.

This might sound as a case those games do not count because reasons. But the thing is the output i am looking for is still there on the 3ds strangely enough. That Kirby battle royal thing are the things i am looking for in a game or a dillon rolling western game, Pushmo/pullblox and New Style boutique. Those where IPs i did enjoy. Those AA titles isn't something Nintendo have shown. Except for a snipper clippers i want more of that.

I am also still waiting for more Japanese 3rd party to hop on board. Really looking forward to DQ11, DQ Builders 2, Atelier and still need to hear more about that Tales game. But the other 3rd party companies like Bandai Namco, Capcom, Atlus still need to hop in to really get me on board. I really enjoyed the Ace Combat game on 3ds only to hear the new one is not coming to Switch is disappointing. And that is coming full circle with games that keep piling up on 3ds and their sequels. Similar kind of full budget game experiences are missing.

Nintendo isn't showing what i mentioned in their Nintendo Directs and is showing popular games on other consoles now coming to the Switch. Which is not what i am looking for in my experience for the switch. If it where new games like Wolfenstein. Not my type of game but good you got bethesda onboard. But its makes lots of other people happy so that is nice. But the output just doesn't feel like the Nintendo i enjoyed. But most of those games that excite me are not for this year like it had with the Wii U. But i am not that worried i still have a feeling those will come.

The Berenstain Bears is a franchise of children books. Its spelled Berenstain, but a large group of people for the longest time have claimed that the spelling was always Berenstein. Stuff like this is referred as the
. The joke is that people who remember it one way and people that remember it the other way are from different timelines that have converged.

DEEP LORE

Thanks for the explanation. I heard of the Mandela effect. But i did remember correctly lol i did enjoy the Wii U in the first year more. Simply because there where more games that interest me. People can have different opinions and enjoy different games for different reasons. See my explanation above.

Top Bottom