• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Nintendo Direct coming next week

Kataploom

Gold Member
After the WiiU fuckup they better call it Switch 2.
Why? Then you'll miss the excitement of guessing the name each generation, I remember when people were trying to "guess" PS4 name before it revealed, then it was just... PS4... Same for PS5, some media outlets were like "new PS console name revealed!!" and that was boring, where's the action, the suspense? Boo!

I actually agree with you

Astral Dog

I think it's hitting 2024, probably second half, and it's cross-gen. But runs and looks significantly better on Switch 2/ Super Switch/ Switch Advance or whatever they call it. And the Switch is only getting it's own version because "we said we would and we have to, sorry it looks so bad". LOL
And there is nothing wrong with that, for what its worth Nintendo cross gen releases have been well optimized

But i don't actually believe Prime 4 will be the "last" Switch game,this system will have a period of cross gen releases and new announcements like PS3->PS4->PS5 it won't be a Wii->WiiU ->Switch situation

Last edited:

ultrazilla

Gold Member
Whenever the next Nintendo Direct ends up happening, I'd think Nintendo will finally announce/show us the Switch 2. 2024 is just around the corner.

Whenever the next Nintendo Direct ends up happening, I'd think Nintendo will finally announce/show us the Switch 2. 2024 is just around the corner.
Whenever rumor mill starts for the next Nintendo Direct, people always predict this. But Nintendo never really announces new hardware in Directs. Directs are a vehicle for software announcements. For hardware news, they use one-off events to deliver that news. Also since Switch 2 is 2024 there's no way it would be publicly shown this early. Next spring at the absolute earliest. But even later in 2024 if it's launching in the second half. This year they want to sell us the current Switch and the Mario OLED Switch, and hit their sales forecast for FY '24. Realistically, they won't publicly talk us about what's next until April or later.

Last edited:
This is the same guy that basically 100% leaked the last direct, right? 🤔
It's not really possible for a Direct to be fully leaked, since even people within Nintendo don't all know what's in it, unless you're really high up at like the executive level. There are layers of people working on specific projects, such as the Treehouse, that only know of a few projects, but they wouldn't know about others. There wouldn't be like a list printed out of what's in it that someone could leak that would spoil everything in it. Leaks come in just little traces here and there, and even from reliable leakers sometimes it's 6 month old information that just got to them, and plans internally at Nintendo had already changed, or a project got pushed back or cancelled entirely.

Last edited:

Soltype

Wasn't there a rumor earlier in the year about an f-zero GX remaster? August was the 20th anniversary in the states.

Nintendo we desperate to get rid of Wii U, they were in a delicate situation and didn't care about Wii U sales anymore.

Switch is different, they have their lowest sales expectations in years for Switch and that's still more that Wii U ever sold, they don't want to risk that.

If anything, that was the right call back then given their situation, everyone wanted to know about NX and passed by Nintendo entirely until then.
While I agree with you with Nintendo being desperate to get rid of the Wii U that doesn't really change much anything. Nintendo fans will buy anything and everything regardless of the circumstances. Zelda always releases on both new and old systems. Breath of the Wild was both a Wii U and a Switch game and that didn't cannibalize anything.

Super Mario Wonder and Mario RPG Remake won't be be losing sales if they announce a new system. There are more than enough people who are willing to buy either the Switch when those games come out or the games themselves regardless of a new platform announcement.

BlackTron

While I agree with you with Nintendo being desperate to get rid of the Wii U that doesn't really change much anything. Nintendo fans will buy anything and everything regardless of the circumstances. Zelda always releases on both new and old systems. Breath of the Wild was both a Wii U and a Switch game and that didn't cannibalize anything.

Super Mario Wonder and Mario RPG Remake won't be be losing sales if they announce a new system. There are more than enough people who are willing to buy either the Switch when those games come out or the games themselves regardless of a new platform announcement.

Complete nonsense. This holiday belongs to Switch 1. Therefore, Nintendo will make NO public acknowledgment that Switch 2 even exists until after the holiday in order to maximize sales. Otherwise, they are literally begging people not to buy Switch games, systems and accessories this Christmas.

Come on man. This is 101 stuff.

Complete nonsense. This holiday belongs to Switch 1. Therefore, Nintendo will make NO public acknowledgment that Switch 2 even exists until after the holiday in order to maximize sales. Otherwise, they are literally begging people not to buy Switch games, systems and accessories this Christmas.

March -May announcement and a November launch is my bet. If it’s 2024.

Not really. Was it a complete nonsense too when Sony revealed PS5 before TLOU 2 even came out in the Summer? Besides, I doubt many launch titles for the new Switch will be new gen only. Usually only like 1 or 2 games are purely exclusive. Which was Arms and and Super Mario Odyssey.

It doesn't matter, Nintendo fans buy it all new console or not.

BlackTron

Not really. Was it a complete nonsense too when Sony revealed PS5 before TLOU 2 even came out in the Summer? Besides, I doubt many launch titles for the new Switch will be new gen only. Usually only like 1 or 2 games are purely exclusive. Which was Arms and and Super Mario Odyssey.

Tell me you don't work in marketing without telling me you don't work in marketing.

Your Sony example is a complete false equivalency but there's no need to pick this apart all day. Agree to disagree.

Tell me you don't work in marketing without telling me you don't work in marketing.

Your Sony example is a complete false equivalency but there's no need to pick this apart all day. Agree to disagree.
Explain to me why Sony example is false equivalency? If you refuse, consider your argument lost. To top it all off Nintendo also has a history of being very unpredictable. For all we know, they could do something completely different with how they reveal this.

Last edited:

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
I hope we have confirmation or denial of this soon. It's getting very silly

BlackTron

Explain to me why Sony example is false equivalency? If you refuse, consider your argument lost.

I'm gonna take a stand on reason and not get trapped in an argument with an Internet gaslighter. I don't really care if you think I "lost". Have a nice day.

I'm gonna take a stand on reason and not get trapped in an argument with an Internet gaslighter. I don't really care if you think I "lost". Have a nice day.
How am I a gas lighter? Lol. I am just trying to have a discussion. And besides you quoted me first, I didn't even quote you. Also, getting emotional over a video game discussion is quite silly. It's just video games.

Last edited:
You lost me at "If you refuse, consider your argument lost." Aint nobody got time for that
What did you expect me to say if you just outright refused to explain the Sony False Equivalent? Clearly, if someone doesn't believe what they say in the first place is true means that they don't really care about pricing a point. Which is same thing as surrendering. Anyways, you can disagree all you want and that's fine but at least give a good explanation and finish your point of view before calling it quits my friend.

You quoted me
Then refused to explain why
Then gave up
And then called me a gas lighter

That doesn't give you much credibility. I am not sitting here giving you tag lines or anything lol.

Last edited:

BlackTron

What did you expect me to say if you just outright refused to explain the Sony False Equivalent? Clearly, if someone doesn't believe what they say in the first place is true means that they don't really care about pricing a point. Which is same thing as surrendering. Anyways, you can disagree all you want and that's fine but at least give a good explanation and finish your point of view before calling it quits my friend.

Actually, I was replying more completely but then you edited your post with that shit. Nevermind.

BlackTron

If you can't tell the difference between a game and system launch it almost seems like you don't want to tell the difference and are just looking for issues anyway. Like it's not my job to explain being a game fan 101 for babies. I'm trying to back off before I get pissed off or banned or something. Closing the browser now seeya

If you can't tell the difference between a game and system launch it almost seems like you don't want to tell the difference and are just looking for issues anyway. Like it's not my job to explain being a game fan 101 for babies. I'm trying to back off before I get pissed off or banned or something. Closing the browser now seeya
Huh? What issues? PS5 was a system launch and so is the Switch and a Series X and now the next is Switch 2. Each system launch has titles that the company tries to sell you on.

Despite PS5 releasing almost 3 years ago developers were and are still releasing cross gen titles. People still buy PS4s because of the massive library. God of War Ragnarok came out holiday last year, did that hurt PS5 sales?

Marketing was still happening for plenty of PS5 titles that ended up being cross gen anyways, even after PS5 came out and that didn't kill any PS5 sales. So why would Nintendo releasing their games this holiday kill any Switch 2 sales ? If anything, shortages will be the issue anyways like they always during any console launch.

Maybe the Switch 2 is also backward compatible, so buying Super Mario Wonder won't devalue your purchase of the Switch 2 cause it would still be playable on the new system. I don't get why this concept is so hard to grasp.

Last edited:

Could just be DK64 on NSO.

Ideally, we get a 2D DK that goes back to the aesthetic of the original trilogy (2, specifically). Retro's stuff failed to hit the mark on the atmosphere of the original trilogy, which was one of it's biggest strengths. Bring back kremlings.

Didn't care for those googly-eyed things.

Kataploom

Gold Member

No business remains* afloat just accounting for fans, holidays are like 50% or more of Nintendo annual consoles sales, they won't risk the season.

BTW, it seems like Nintendo fans are only 15M, which I don't think is enough for Nintendo.

Edit: typo

Last edited:

Gambit2483

It's not really possible for a Direct to be fully leaked, since even people within Nintendo don't all know what's in it, unless you're really high up at like the executive level. There are layers of people working on specific projects, such as the Treehouse, that only know of a few projects, but they wouldn't know about others. There wouldn't be like a list printed out of what's in it that someone could leak that would spoil everything in it. Leaks come in just little traces here and there, and even from reliable leakers sometimes it's 6 month old information that just got to them, and plans internally at Nintendo had already changed, or a project got pushed back or cancelled entirely.
Lol yeah I meant to say he was 100% correct with the leaks that he actually made so far. Hopefully he's correct with this one if it means the return of F-Zero 🙏

No business tension afloat just accounting for fans, holidays are like 50% or more of Nintendo annual consoles sales, they won't risk the season.

BTW, it seems like Nintendo fans are only 15M, which I don't think is enough for Nintendo.
I don't see how simply teasing the next system would ruin the holiday sales though. Most people just buy shit during the holidays anyways due to crazy sales, discounts, gifts and so on fans or not. Little Jimmy's mommy wont even know about the Switch 2 because she doesnt watch the gaming news lol.

Besides, it probably won't be released till 2nd half of next year anyway, so they won't have issues "risking" this year's holiday.

Last edited:

Kataploom

Gold Member
I don't see how simply teasing the next system would ruin the holiday sales though. Most people just buy shit during the holidays anyways due to crazy sales, discounts, gifts and so on fans or not. Little Jimmy's mommy wont even know about the Switch 2 because she doesnt watch the gaming news lol.

Besides, it probably won't be released till 2nd half of next year anyway, so they won't have issues "risking" this year's holiday.
Most people hold their purchases if there is a better one the next corner, basic market behavior. Maybe you're right which I think you're not, but they don't want to take risks, specially when they don't decide based on guesses, they have numbers to support their decisions.

The reasons it's different than the PS5 example you gave earlier are:

1. One is a game, the other is a console, if they announced a PS5 Pro then some people would rather wait for it since it's a better purchase and save the money for something else

2. PS5 is backwards compatible, even in the case of TLOU 1 in PS3 people didn't know Sony would release the game in PS4 so they could only play it on PS3

3. Holiday season is special, most sales are done in that season, it's an opportunity to create special offers and drive as much attention as possible to the products you're selling, teasing a better product to be released after the season will distract people from the one you're trying to sell and make some of them hold on and buy something else meanwhile

Wii U was a lost cause, by the numbers Nintendo decided it was more advantageous to announce it earlier rather than later, they risked a handful of sales for greater long term gains and it worked, but not even Sony would do so if their console was selling well, nobody mess in holidays.

No business remains* afloat just accounting for fans, holidays are like 50% or more of Nintendo annual consoles sales, they won't risk the season.

Edit: typo

It’s more than 15 million. If you’re referring to just the people that were willing to buy a Wii U, anecdotally I know many Nintendo fans that didn’t even want one it was so bad.

Last edited:

BlackTron

Now that I had a chance to cool off.

A good friend of mine wanted a Switch for playing Jackbox and MK. But she dragged her feet, then a while ago said she heard a rumor a new one might be coming out soon. I said "No way. Next Switch will be next year". Her new BF quipped "That's a huge relief" implying he was gonna have to buy her a Switch soon, but now the matter had been put off until next year. It was so blatantly obvious that they were not going to buy Switch 1 any longer that it did even require a discussion, he expressed relief as a joke at the mere news, in her presence. All parties knew they were going to wait.

And before you say this, no the above anecdote is not WHY I have this opinion so please don't point out how anecdotal it is lol. It's just that, an anecdote to get the point across.

Nintendo wants to sell systems, so why would they, during the biggest most important shopping season of the year, say "this is all we have, but very soon we will have something better, so don't buy it." This is anathema to the entire way Nintendo has always done business. If you suggested that marketing message at Nintendo HQ they would laugh you off the premises. I don't know how long you have been watching Nintendo there are some things you can ALWAYS count on.

Also, to Nintendo (or any company) there is no such thing as "enough". And their hardcore fans have never been enough. They have kept them on life support throughout their mistakes. Which is exactly what this would be. Not only would people stop buying systems, they would hold off on games too. They want every sale they can. As soon as you've delivered this news to one person, it's a potential lost sale. Marketing suicide. Again, it's 101.

Most people hold their purchases if there is a better one the next corner, basic market behavior. Maybe you're right which I think you're not, but they don't want to take risks, specially when they don't decide based on guesses, they have numbers to support their decisions.

The reasons it's different than the PS5 example you gave earlier are:

1. One is a game, the other is a console, if they announced a PS5 Pro then some people would rather wait for it since it's a better purchase and save the money for something else

2. PS5 is backwards compatible, even in the case of TLOU 1 in PS3 people didn't know Sony would release the game in PS4 so they could only play it on PS3

3. Holiday season is special, most sales are done in that season, it's an opportunity to create special offers and drive as much attention as possible to the products you're selling, teasing a better product to be released after the season will distract people from the one you're trying to sell and make some of them hold on and buy something else meanwhile

Wii U was a lost cause, by the numbers Nintendo decided it was more advantageous to announce it earlier rather than later, they risked a handful of sales for greater long term gains and it worked, but not even Sony would do so if their console was selling well, nobody mess in holidays.
I am not understanding your #1 point

1 - Both Super Mario Wonder and Super Mario RPG are games that are both coming out this year. TLOU 2 was also a game that came out BEFORE PS5 which is a NEW system launch. The same thing is happening with Super Mario Wonder and Super Mario RPG. How is this comparison any different? Besides, Switch 2 is not even coming this year holidays, so these games have plenty of time to breath during their release date and holiday season.

Every Zelda for the last decade or so also came out on the latest new system as well. Breath of the Wild was both a Wii U game and a Switch game at launch, so that already is not helping the case here.

TLOU 2 also plays better on the PS5 and you don't need to be sherlock homes to realize that TLOU 2 would just play on a new system. So I am not understanding where you are getting the whole "one is a console, the other is a game" argument from. I think there is a misunderstanding going on.

2 - Switch 2 is most likely going to be backwards compatible, although the reports are conflicting from both sides and Zelda TOTK will most likely be there at launch or just be backwards compatible and play/perform better.

3 - While you have good points here and I agree with what you are saying for the most part, but what you need to realize is that teasing a new system in a 3 minute video or less would actually benefit them and their holiday sales. Especially if they tease backwards compatibility. No one will be having regrets to buying the new holiday games, because they can be played on both systems. Also, Switch still sells like crazy and on top of that I highly doubt the teaser would even have a release date shown on it. If anything, it will only have a date for the official reveal of Switch 2 which would be past the holiday season and by that time the holidays are over. If people wanna grab all the good stuff with good prices then its their own fault for missing out. The system is old now anyways, it will probably be sold at even a bigger discount just to get rid of as much stock as possible.

Last edited:

Kataploom

Gold Member
It’s more than 15 million. If you’re referring to just the people that were willing to buy a Wii U, anecdotally I know many Nintendo fans that didn’t even want one it was so bad.
16M then.

So Nintendo fans won't buy anything they're being thrown? How so? A gaffer just told me Nintendo fans will buy things they don't even want to buy in order to please Nintendo, or something of that fashion.

BlackTron

I am not understanding your #1 point

1 - Both Super Mario Wonder and Super Mario RPG are games that are both coming out this year. TLOU 2 was also a game that came out BEFORE PS5 which is a NEW system launch. The same thing is happening with Super Mario Wonder and Super Mario RPG. How is this comparison any different? Besides, Switch 2 is not even coming this year holidays, so these games have plenty of time to breath during their release date and holiday season.

All this talk about games and BC is missing the point. In less words, getting to the meat of it, this is what it is:

"The systems both play the same games, so people should have no problem buying into the platform now because they can upgrade later and all the same games will still work anyway."

But people are just looking to make a smart purchasing decision on a single hardware; not planning a series of expensive hardware purchases in advance to validate their software purchases.

Nintendo maximizes sales of SMRG and Mario Wonder by pretending Switch 2 doesn't exist; otherwise; many shrewd buyers may wait for the better hardware to future-proof themselves. Imagine announcing Switch 2 before giving TOTK a single Christmas to itself. Insanity!

If parents decide to buy a Switch as a gift and google for a deal, info and/or games and they see news or pre-orders for a Switch 2 instead, they might hold off on the purchase. Nintendo would likely do anything to prevent that from happening. They want to make a profit on their old inventory. They don't want to give people a choice.

They also don't lose anything from withholding the announcement until next year. The fans will eat it up whenever it happens. Heck I wouldn't be surprised if it took another whole year for the announcement to happen. If they plan to release in time for the holiday season, they might wait until after the summer.

blacktout

I dunno, we could see announcements for cross-gen projects like the Peach game. Nothing exclusive though.

Why do people think the Peach game is a cross-gen project? I've seen multiple posters suggest this, but to me it has all the hallmarks of a lower budget project to help fill out the schedule for the Switch's last few months as Nintendo's primary system.

That's not to say it looks like a bad game. It's probably from GoodFeel and they have a solid reputation of producing charming 2.5D platformers. I just don't see any reason to believe that this is anything but a smaller game that will get a spotlight in this upcoming Direct and then be given the March/April Kirby/Yoshi slot, and sell a million copies or two.

I don't think Nintendo has shown us any Switch 2 games and I don't think we'll see any until the system is unveiled next year. (Maybe MP4 is a cross gen game, but we haven't seen any gameplay of that yet, unlike Peach's game.)

Last edited:

L*][*N*K

Banned

Sony and Nintendo are different situations, you can repackage Last of Us 2, add a few lines of dialogue to it and call it Last of Us 3 and Sony fans will buy in hordes, Nintendo doesn’t have the same luxury since their “gamer” audience are few and their casual audience are the meat of the consumer base

Sony and Nintendo are different situations, you can repackage Last of Us 2, add a few lines of dialogue to it and call it Last of Us 3 and Sony fans will buy in hordes, Nintendo doesn’t have the same luxury since their “gamer” audience are few and their casual audience are the meat of the consumer base
Ehh I disagree. Nintendo has repackaged ancient games that are decades old and sold them at full $60 prices multiple times.

I am assuming you are being sarcastic here lol.

It would be sort of ballsy to show footage of games which obviously wouldn't be possible on Switch 1 without admitting to Switch 2's existence.

Kabelly

Huh? All the franchises that have sold tens of millions are just casual gamers? I've never understood this sentiment. People that play video games are "gamers" full stop.

I mean, if twice counts as "always". Twilight Princess and Breath of the Wild are the only ones they've done this with.
Skyward Sword was also playable on the Wii U. Not a seperate release, but backwards compatible.

I would not be surprised if Tears of the Kingdom gets its own release for Switch 2 to be honest.

Last edited:

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Skyward Sword was also playable on the Wii U. Not a seperate release, but backwards compatible.

Exactly, there was no Wii U version. So the thing you claim always happens has actually only happened twice.

Or, if you insist on including SS, that's still only thrice out of a lot of Zelda games.

Last edited:
Exactly, there was no Wii U version. So the thing you claim always happens has actually only happened twice.
Doesn't matter if it got its own release or not. It was still playable on the system regardless. You really think Tears of the Kingdom will stay on the outdated Switch?

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Doesn't matter if it got its own release or not. It was still playable on the system regardless. You really think Tears of the Kingdom will stay on the outdated Switch?

I'm sure it will be playable on Switch 2. But I'm not convinced there will be an upgraded version that takes full advantage of that hardware.

Or, if you insist on including SS, that's still only thrice out of a lot of Zelda games.
I am aware that there are 10 million Zelda games, including the ones on handheld systems. I am talking about the flagship titles that are on the main platforms. Not handhelds.

I'm sure it will be playable on Switch 2. But I'm not convinced there will be an upgraded version that takes full advantage of that hardware.
How so? Nintendo repackaged older Zelda and sold them again at $60. Tears of the Kingdom is not 60fps, runs at a poor resolution and Nintendo likes easy money, and people will buy s new improved version without a question.

Top Bottom