• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shpeshal Nick: A Nintendo Direct is scheduled for next week

StueyDuck

Just his previous SoP leak wasn't believable by many.
His previous state of play leak came from a discord leak which many people had access to. Even then he still missed things because the person who leaked onto that discord didn't leak everything to him like the Koji metal gear game and the SH short message.

Are we really giving this clown credit for repackaging something someone else on a discord leaked

Woopah

They don't necessarily need a sucessor. A PRO can pretty much do this job.

Past Nintendo moves suggest that BTW. 3DS was only an example. Again, the leaks have some inconsistences in this regards. If end up being a sucessor, good for everyone, but I don't quite see a sucessor at this point. Just my take.

They don't. Nintendo Switch came at 2017 with a hardware from 2010 LOL. They don't need to follow either the competition or the modern graphics.

PRO can update some aspects with Nintendo proprietary hardware/software solutions. IMO Nvidia probably are pressing Nintendo to make PR about DLSS, because even being a Nvidia console, Nintendo Switch games are using AMD software solution aka FSR and Nvidia sure is not happy with that.
To make sure I understand your point, what would the difference between a Switch Pro and Switch 2 be in your mind?

Fake

To make sure I understand your point, what would the difference between a Switch Pro and Switch 2 be in your mind?

Switch 2 with RT, HDR, 3D audio and all those next gen kinda of stuff. Revision GPU, but a new ARM cpu from Nvidia. With of without BC. Native 4k output (doesn't mean native 4k games, just an HDMI 2.1 signal). A modest hardware update.

Switch PRO, revision TEGRA A1 chipset, ARM bump, maybe an overclock existence ARM CPU (similar to Game Cube x Wii) reaching 1080p with either help or not of DLSS. 100% BC because is not a next gen, rather a pro model. An update similar to PS4 PRO vs PS4. 25~30% boost in performance in comparison with regular Nintendo Switch.

Last edited:
Lets be honest, Nintendo don't much care about that.

Nintendo Switch came is a very outdate hardware from Nvidia Shield. Beimg 7 years old means nothing to Nintendo.

The only thing that kinda tell a story is the sales. As much the software is top high, the hardware is getting slow.

They can create a PRO that not affect the actual sales of the current Nintendo Switch. Remember, Nintendo don't want to mess their current Nintendo Switch sales.
They won’t release a pro revision of old hardware and a next-gen console that close together. And 7 years is the longest they’ve ever gone with a platform without a successor. And sales have declined now 3 years in a row. A next-gen platform is coming soon for sure.

The switch is a fully-matured platform, and the market is saturated. So all signs point to a new platform being needed.

Woopah

Switch 2 with RT, HDR, 3D audio and all those next gen kinda of stuff. With of without BC. Native 4k output (doesn't mean native 4k games, just an HDMI 2.1 signal). A modest hardware update.

Switch PRO, revision TEGRA A1 chipset, ARM bump, reaching 1080p with either help or not of DLSS. 100% BC because is not a next gen, rather a pro model. An update similar to PS4 PRO vs PS4. 25~30% boost in performance in comparison with regular Nintendo Switch.
What we know of the chip behind the next Switch chip so far (the T239) suggests the former rather than the later.

It's a semi-custom chip that has DLSS, enough bandwidth for HDMI 2.1 (we don't know anything about 3D audio or HDR yet) and a File Decompression Engine. Ray tracing wasn't mentioned in the Nvidia hack, but it was in the reports by VCG and Eurogamer.

This to me would suggest a successor, in addition to the fact that a Pro would not give Nintendo the hardware sales boost they need.

Last edited:

Zannegan

They don't necessarily need a sucessor. A PRO can pretty much do this job.

Past Nintendo moves suggest that BTW. 3DS was only an example. Again, the leaks have some inconsistences in this regards. If end up being a sucessor, good for everyone, but I don't quite see a sucessor at this point. Just my take.
I see what you're saying, but I can't think of a time a Pro console has had that kind of impact on sales. They tend to sell fairly well but stay a pretty small fraction of the console's overall installed base. They have neither the initial sales boost nor the stating power of a successor.

Honestly, I think from Nintendo's POV, the OLED was the NEW 3DS/DSi/SP/Color revision for the generation.

Last edited:

Robb

Gold Member
They don't. Nintendo Switch came at 2017 with a hardware from 2010 LOL. They don't need to follow either the competition or the modern graphics.

PRO can update some aspects with Nintendo proprietary hardware/software solutions. IMO Nvidia probably are pressing Nintendo to make PR about DLSS, because even being a Nvidia console, Nintendo Switch games are using AMD software solution aka FSR and Nvidia sure is not happy with that.
Agree to disagree. They don’t operate in a vacuum as you seem to suggest. Switch hardware was updated per 3rd party partners requests, for example. They definitely want to ensure future support. It’s a back-and-forth process, as with any system.

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
There’s a few things I really want to see Nintendo announce (but hold off until next console):

•Golden Sun 3
•Eternal Darkness 2
•Pandora’s Tower Remaster
•Wind Waker Remaster
•Raven Blade
•F-Zero
•The Last Story Remake

Marvel14

Banned
Switch 2 with RT, HDR, 3D audio and all those next gen kinda of stuff. Revision GPU, but a new ARM cpu from Nvidia. With of without BC. Native 4k output (doesn't mean native 4k games, just an HDMI 2.1 signal). A modest hardware update.

Switch PRO, revision TEGRA A1 chipset, ARM bump, maybe an overclock existence ARM CPU (similar to Game Cube x Wii) reaching 1080p with either help or not of DLSS. 100% BC because is not a next gen, rather a pro model. An update similar to PS4 PRO vs PS4. 25~30% boost in performance in comparison with regular Nintendo Switch.
After 7 years I don't think a Pro is on the cards. Their strategy seems to be to reach the capacity level of a pro version of the previous gen's consoles. So we should be getting PS4 Pro levels- that should be beyond Tegra.

Part of the WIi U's failure was that it offered almost the same performance level as the previous gen with an unconvincing tech USP.

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
oboro-muramasa-muramasa.gif

5s7.gif

Fake

After 7 years I don't think a Pro is on the cards. Their strategy seems to be to reach the capacity level of a pro version of the previous gen's consoles. So we should be getting PS4 Pro levels- that should be beyond Tegra.

Part of the WIi U's failure was that it offered almost the same performance level as the previous gen with an unconvincing tech USP.

Wii is a OC Game Cube.

Marvel14

Banned
Wii is a OC Game Cube.
What does the Wii have to do with this? That's a different animal altogether with a different strategy: a motion controls USP.

Maybe I should have said "their strategy for the Switch after their learning from Wii U"

Last edited:

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
What does the Wii have to do with this? That's a different animal altogether with a different strategy: a motion controls USP.

Maybe I should have said "their strategy for the Switch after their learning from Wii U"
The difference with the Switch, compared with WiiU/3DS, is that other companies arent coming for it. There is no emerging App Store. There is no Kinect on top of everything. The Hybrid playing field is pretty much theirs at this juncture.

Last edited:

nordique

We are kinda walking into a PRO version at this point. Most of the sources (ignoring the Nintendo fanboys talking about 4K/RT) are saying near to base PS4, maybe DLSS supported for higher resolution.

I can't see a next gen Switch just yet. We also not have any particular source telling anything about BC, so is kinda talking about a PRO verison/model. Nintendo already did this with Nintendo 3D. I can only see a sucessor if the specs justify the bump, but the leaks are not telling that, besides a revision of the TEGRA chipset. I guess Rich from DF say something his source is telling is TEGRA A1.

Nintendo 3D XL is not a sucessor of the Nintendo 3D, but there are some games that can only run on Nintendo 3D XL.

T239 is not some souped up tegra x1

And ps4 plus is a generation ahead of the current "ps3 plus" performance of the switch.....

Fake

T239 is not some souped up tegra x1

And ps4 plus is a generation ahead of the current "ps3 plus" performance of the switch.....

PS4 pro is not a generation leap ahead of base ps4 WTF are you talking about?

Use the same shit AMD low power mobile apu x86, but with overclock. The only bonus in the PS4pro is the dedicated reconstruct hardware inside for checkerboard rendering.

Just see the difference size between pro and base and this tell alot of what Sony need to make to overcome the heat solution.
And Nintendo Switch use a custom made TEGRA model from Nvidia Shield.

Last edited:

Sojiro

Hopefully half of the games won't be farming fucking simulators.
Its been since September 2022 since Nintendo pussed out and only made half the direct full of farming simulators. Nintendo needs to grab its balls and make the entire direct farming simulators, for this one. Fucking do it Nintendo.

Woopah

Its been since September 2022 since Nintendo pussed out and only made half the direct full of farming simulators. Nintendo needs to grab its balls and make the entire direct farming simulators, for this one. Fucking do it Nintendo.
In Feb 2023 they did a Direct all about detective games and September 2023 was all about Mario games.

What genre/franchise will it be this time!?!

Sojiro

In Feb 2023 they did a Direct all about detective games and September 2023 was all about Mario games.

What genre/franchise will it be this time!?!
If we're sticking to niche/obscure genres hit up some RTS/4X games Nintendo, I dig those. For as much as people give the farming games shit, I do like Rune Factory and did pick it up, but yeah that Sept. direct was definitely heavy on the genre lol. At this point my expectations for the direct are fairly low, it's pretty obvious Nintendo is starting to slow the software pipeline for the device, but if I at least get a few games to look forward to out of the direct I would consider that a win. I doubt this will have anything about a switch successor though, so it probably won't be too exciting for most people here.

Last edited:

Zannegan

Use the same shit AMD low power mobile apu x86, but with overclock. The only bonus in the PS4pro is the dedicated reconstruct hardware inside for checkerboard rendering.

Just see the difference size between pro and base and this tell alot of what Sony need to make to overcome the heat solution.
I think he meant a Switch 2 that was equivalent to PS4+ in raw power would still be a full generational leap over the Switch, which has roughly 1/3 of an Xbox One's TF when docked and half that in handheld mode. Even if Switch 2 was only equal to a base PS4, it would still be something like a 4x leap, and that's without taking into account architectural improvements let alone what decebtly performant DLSS would bring to the table.

None of this is guaranteed, because Nintendo does Nintendo, but a generational leap over the Switch is certainly possible at this point.

Woopah

The T239 in the next console is far more custom than the X1 that is in Switch.

Banjo64

cumsessed
Not expecting much. Think it’ll be what we’ve seen already, but with release dates/months.
  • Luigi’s Mansion 2 HD
  • Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door
  • Mario vs Donkey Kong
  • Princess Peach: Showtime
I think we may get Metroid Prime 2 HD, and one ‘big’ winter game to see the Switch off. Logical choice is Pokemon, I’m thinking a new Legends game.

Some solid third parties and indies will be here.

Nintendo will save MK9, next 3D Mario, 3D Donkey Kong, Prime 4 reveals for their next gen console.

Fake

Limited in what way?

Performance. Remember, most of the NS games are CPU limited because the GPU carry the system.

Nvidia don't have the best reputation in ARM performance, Snapdragon are far better in performance x power usage in comparison with TEGRA.

Nintendo gaming API play a huge role in this case.

Woopah

Performance. Remember, most of the NS games are CPU limited because the GPU carry the system.

Nvidia don't have the best reputation in ARM performance, Snapdragon are far better in performance x power usage in comparison with TEGRA.

Nintendo gaming API play a huge role in this case.
Gotcha

The next system will use the new Nintendo API (nvn2) and it will be interesting to see how DLSS performs in a console environment as opposed to a PC environment.

Fake

Gotcha

The next system will use the new Nintendo API (nvn2) and it will be interesting to see how DLSS performs in a console environment as opposed to a PC environment.

I prefer to believe will be either the same API or a update API.

New API may imply into messing up with BC.

Can't say for DLSS, but in the PC space there are presets for DLS (performance mode, quality mode), with I do believe will not exist in this new Switch. Avoiding to stress the ARM cpu.

Woopah

I prefer to believe will be either the same API or a update API.

New API may imply into messing up with BC.

Can't say for DLSS, but in the PC space there are presets for DLS (performance mode, quality mode), with I do believe will not exist in this new Switch. Avoiding to stress the ARM cpu.
The T239 files from the Nvidia hack specifically refer to "nvn2". That's one of the reasons we knew T239 was for a Nintendo profuct.

Hopefully backwards compatability is still included.

nordique

Me?

What on earth are YOU talking about?

Please show me where in my post, anywhere, that I used “ps4” and “pro” in a sentence.

Additionally please show me where I used “ps4 pro is a generation ahead of ps4 base” or anything that resembles that.

Before you get all “WTF you talking bout” fingers hammering away on the keyboard, Read my post again, I suggest several times, just to make sure you comprehend each word. Start with the letters and go left to right. After you’ve done that, if there’s still confusion before you reply, see below (I’ll do it in point form for you)

- PS4 to my knowledge is a generation ahead of PS3
- ps4 was launched as the successor to the ps3
- ergo, ps4 is the next generation system to the ps3
- the tegra x1 is the chip in the current switch. It is purported to be akin to the ps3 in performance but with modern features. Hence “ps3 plus”
- the t239 is the rumoured chip in the next switch. Its specs reflect a system that is between ps4 and ps4 pro in raw performance but with modern features. Hence “ps4 plus”
- again, ps4 is “next gen” to ps3
- thus, the t239 is a “next gen” to tegra x1

So what the heck are you talking about?
If English is not your native language I can understand and accept there’s some reading issues that may have confused you…but it still stands - re read my post. My issue was with you saying the switch 2 is not a generational leap over the current switch. That is not true based on what we reasonably know at this point. Unless you believe the ps4 is not a generational leap over the ps3.

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
It's crazy that Vanillaware refuse to port this game to Switch. It would sell more than Unicorn Overlord.
Kamitani actually wants to port this game to modern systems but the problem is the licensing issue. This game is one of the few Vanillaware games Atlus didn’t publish.

As much as I want Muramasa, I’m SUPER glad they making game like Unicorn Overlord. SRPG with Vanillaware signature art style is dream come true for me.

Last edited:

Emedan

So with your logic, unless it's a handheld PS5 it's not a switch successor? And with the same logic Wii wasn't a successor to GC, just a GC with a new controller? Since when does specs alone decide whether a device is a successor or not?

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Nintendo directs at this time are so suspenseful. They could either new console, Metroid prime 4, or nothing at all. 😂

Top Bottom