• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Direct September 13th for Switch and 3DS

Luminaire

I...need to check out other gameplay videos of Xenoblade Chronicles 2. What they showed seemed so very slow, though I imagine it was just for demonstration sake.

October is going to be expensive though...

I've given up completely on trying to predict what Nintendo will do next. There is no logic to it, and yet they stay winning despite the nonsensical nature of it all.

Good on you, Nintendo.

They release one great game after another since launch and it seems this goes on in 2018. They even managed to get some surprising third party announcements in this direct, Pretty good logic behind that I think.

I thought I only had to buy Mario this holiday season... But now there's Doom, Skyrim, and a lot more! My wallet is worried...

Nintendo is killing it. Switch is gonna do gangbusters.

Hold up

Did I just see Mario nipples?

tumblr_ow8q450Eq51rfo8xzo1_1280.png

Instro

Yeah where the fuck is the Japanese support. A little worrying.

Well TGS is around the corner, but I think it's fair to say devs like Capcom were very skeptical of the Switch succeeding. Given that not much has been announced for 2018 though, you might be waiting until Nintendo is ready to talk about their own 2018 games to see what Japan has in store.

Dr Thor

Neo Member
Crap, I didn't know a demo of Octopath Traveller was coming out! I'm travelling IRL right now so I won't be able to try it til the weekend. Looks incredible and I'm super excited for it.

Xenoblade 2 caught my interest much more in this Direct, the art style appeals to me much more than XCX and the details they showed made it feel suitably large in scope. Definitely picking it up.

Super Mario Odyssey took my breath away, the game just looks gorgeous and packed with insane amounts of stuff to find and do. A 3D sandbox Mario game is just what I need to remind myself of why I love this hobby so much in the first place!

Tons of other stuff I'm excited for too -- including the unsung hero of the Direct, New Style Boutique 3. No joke, I'm really excited for that :)

Okay, so now that this is done, there was a supposed leak, was that true? Regardless, can I see it now, since I avoided it (can't get careless after the Jan event was legit partially leaked).

Project Octopath is my game of the Direct. Snappy and satisfying battle system, intriguing story, great artstyle, and freakin godlike music. That's all I want from a JRPG.

TDLink

what are the chances of another direct before the year ends?

High. There will probably be a game-specific direct for Xenoblade.

That aside they usually do another general one in November or December (it's typically smaller than their September/October one though).

Basically their general directs are usually:

• Late January/Early February
  • April
  • E3
  • September/October
  • November/December

Then they do game specific ones and "micro" directs throughout the year apart from those.

Dyle

Solid direct with a fair amount of stuff to check out right away. It would have been nice if there was a first party surprise, but I suppose we'll have to wait.

what are the chances of another direct before the year ends?

50-50. They'll probably announce things at the Nintendo World Championships and the Game Awards. There might be a mini direct with details for the DLC for Zelda, Fire Emblem Warriors, Mario and Rabbids, and more Arms and Splatoon stuff, but I could also see all those being announced separately, especially since Ubisoft would probably be announcing stuff for Mario and Rabbids.

I think a lot of people are underestimating this direct, it was really good even if it didn't have some crazy megaton announcements or things we were all expecting.

It wasn't perfect but there were quite a few notable things.

- Minecraft on 3DS is huge, also released TODAY thats amazing!

- Xenoblade getting released THIS YEAR after EVERYONE (including myself) never thought they'd actually be able to get the game out this year. Also while some people didn't care for how long the info dump was it was needed because reaction to the game has been pretty mixed since it was revealed and this showcase did a great job of fleshing everything out for the game from the way the titans work to the combat and the various blades. It made me go from on the fence to instant day 1.

- They really covered the bases on the types of games people want to be playing, everything from Platformers to shooters to even freaking Moba's had at least some kind of information released. From what I've been reading that MOBA that got announced it also pretty huge so thats another big plus for Nintendo.

- Octopath Traveler looks great and its not just the art style. Multiple playable characters with different stories and settings and each character having their own unique ability that can change how certain events play out. This looks like a retro inspired true evolution of the JRPG and also a demo released right away!

- Skyrim gets dated but the big surprise is Doom and Wolfenstein 2 coming to Switch. This is HUGE because it shows one of the major third party developers clearly going all in on Switch. Also means that if they can get Doom and Wolfenstein 2 running on the thing then Fallout 4 likely isn't far behind and perhaps Prey as well. Not to mention everything else Bethesda plans to release going forward. It also will be a great showcase to other developers on how you can port PS4/XB1 games to Switch and portable Doom instantly sold me even if it is downgraded. Main point: Bethesda believes in Switch and they are really fucking showing it now.

- Mario continues to set the bar, everything I've wanted in a 3D Mario game since Mario 64 is here. Massive worlds with tons of collectables and so many different gameplay options. This game really looks like its going to evolve the 3D Platformer like Mario 64 and Galaxy did. Looking like it might beat Zelda for GotY for me personally and a key title for the holidays... Also that bundle is already completely sold out. It would literally sell out the entire stock of Xbox One X if Nintendo could make enough of them.

-Switch has a CRAZY good holiday lineup with Mario, Skyrim, Fire Emblem Warriors, Xenoblade Chronicles 2, Doom, ect. I can't think the last time I've ever seen such a great fall lineup for Nintendo. This isn't even mentioning the indies which not only are we getting quite a few but they are selling exceptionally well on Switch.

I think we will really start to see more third parties jump on the Switch bandwagon and while its still relatively new I think this is the best I've seen a Nintendo console doing since the SNES era. They faulted during the N64 and GC era and while the Wii sold well third party titles for the most part didn't sell well despite the impressive amount of systems sold. No they aren't at the top of the market like they were during the SNES era but they've got a great console, several killer app unique games that make the system worth owning, third party support (which is extra impressive if you think about how third party support was LAST year for the Wii U IE non-existent, what a fucking turnaround in less then a year!), and actually making multiple release dates from the reveal. XB1 had tons of games pushed back multiple times or canceled outright, PS4 had similar things on a smaller scale but Nintendo is meeting its release dates in almost every aspect and that MATTERS because it means for once its okay to be an early adopter for the system. Normally early adopters get screwed in multiple ways including with the 3DS and the Wii U but here Nintendo really has something and I think this direct showed that they really are performing better then they have as a company in a long time.

Golnei

Okami HD is skipping Switch, but DOOM and Wolfenstein II aren't.

wat

Capcom grades their tests on a harsher scale.

what is the problem with mario's nipples? why are you acting surprised by this

It's not a common detail in Japanese games with stylised art - going with Nintendo examples, BoTW and the original Xenoblade omit them, as well as the entire Fire Emblem series. Seeing them here is kind of surprising as a result.

6/10
Good thing I didn't fall for the hype like some of the people here.
I'm mainly impressed by the amount of western 3rd party support here. Doom and Wolfenstein 2 are mindblowing.
Only thing I REALLY didn't like was the amount of time dedicated towards Xenoblade 2. The new mechanics are cool, and I'm genuinely interested in the new lore, but ffs don't put the tutorial in the trailer. Also, the more they reveal about the game, the worse the game looks. Sooooo many clashing artstyles. It looks like they just got some doujin artist to design the main protags and nobody else. The townsfolk and more mature characters have normal proportions and more grounded shading.

thats exactly what they did.

The art styles dont clash that much... they just need to fix the inconsistency in the shading quality, grafx are all over the place. The lip synching and sound mixing too

I just really wish they would come out and say what they are doing with Smash. New game, port with or without additions, remake, Melee HD, whatever. I play Smash 4 daily still, I would just like to know when I can unplug my Wii U.

Otherwise good direct.
Never. The Wii U is the last console with BC and VC

sinonobu

Banned
I had some time to process it.

I was initially dissapointed Due to lack of Tales of and Platinum but I think this was very solid direct in the end.

Xenoblade 2, Octopath, Odyssey all looked fantastic and Wolfenstein and Doom were WTH moments.

Getting port of DQ Builders was also nice treat before the 2nd one.

If I'd give a score, I'd give 8.5/10. The lack of new first party title announcement was dissapointing but it was still packed

Just watch it and I think 2 games that were shown has possibly blown the doors wide open for more games to be released by 3rd parties that may of been reluctant to release on Nintendo consoles (M rated games).

and those 2 are Doom & Wolfenstein 2. Honestly, I never thought in a million years that these two series will ever be on a Nintendo console because they were very violent and usually Nintendo shies away from allowing those games to be released.

However, IMO, how these 2 games sell on the Switch can have huge implications on future Mature rated games in the future. If they sell very well, the skies the limit of what we could see on the switch in the future, and that's fantastic. However, if they sell like sh*t, then this could have a huge negative effect of what we will see in the future on the switch.

Honestly, I'm not into these type of games but keen on how much hard drive space it takes up but that doesn't mean that I'm not into M rated games and I really really hope fans of these 2 series buys them for their switch console.

Mario Odyssey looks absolutely stunning and I cannot wait to pick this up for the switch. Really looking forward to playing it.

Project Octopath Traveller looks really cool and I dig the graphics, demo is downloaded and looking forward to trying it out.

Xenoblade Chronicles 2 is the one that I'm kinda worried about as they controls could be confusing to use. Graphics looks good but i'm downgrading this title from must buy to wait & see.

To me, NBA2k18 didn't look good at all and I hate to say it as I was tempted to pick this up. Fifa looked OK and probably will pick it up in the future.

Skyrim looks better than I though and I may pick this up, but pending on the price as I will not pay 80 CAD for this.

Finally, Rocket League looks good and I'll probably will pick it up...but again, pending on price as I have it on PC & XBO already.

Mr-Joker

Banned
The biggest surprise to me was Dragon Quest Builder getting ported to the Switch as I thought that wouldn't happen due to it being built on Sony PhyreEngine.

Okami HD is skipping Switch, but DOOM and Wolfenstein II aren't.

wat

I am just as baffled as you are, Capcom is just asleep at the wheel and goofed up badly.

I wonder if Fallout 4 will get ported to the Switch?

I AM perplexed that Bethesda is going all in though. That's just unheard of in Nintendo history.

If I recall correctly, it was Nintendo of America that managed to secure Skyrim for the Switch and I guess once they saw how easy it was to port the game over and positive sales of the Switch they decided to throw more support.

people obsessing over nipples...my god.
oldperson.gif

odyssey was amazing and I really hope the mario party game has boards....with nintendo's games staying at full price, I might have to get gcu sooner than I thought if target's B2G1 free doesn't pan out.

The biggest surprise to me was Dragon Quest Builder getting ported to the Switch as I thought that wouldn't happen due to it being built on Sony PhyreEngine.

I was surprised too, but more since we already knew the sequel was coming, I figured they'd skip 1 and move onto 2. But hey, I can't complain!

Man God

Non-Canon Member

I am just as baffled as you are, Capcom is just asleep at the wheel and goofed up badly.

I wonder if Fallout 4 will get ported to the Switch?

If I recall correctly, it was Nintendo of America that managed to secure Skyrim for the Switch and I guess once they saw how easy it was to port the game over and positive sales of the Switch they decided to throw more support.

They're clearly betting hard on Skyrim, which given everything else that has happened since the launch of the system and the continuing popularity of Skyrim plus the lure of a full featured portable version of it...yeah. I think they made the right move.

fernoca

and those 2 are Doom & Wolfenstein 2. Honestly, I never thought in a million years that these two series will ever be on a Nintendo console because they were very violent and usually Nintendo shies away from allowing those games to be released.
They haven't shied away from M rated games in decades, much less not allowing them. SNES got Mortal Kombat II, Doom and so on. Even BMX XXX on Gamecube was the only version that wasn't fully censored. And many other examples.

The games are surprising because of the publisher involved, not because of the content.

Plum

I was surprised too, but more since we already knew the sequel was coming, I figured they'd skip 1 and move onto 2. But hey, I can't complain!

Wait, that was the first game? I completely blanked out during that segment, didn't realise it was a new announcement.

Wait, that was the first game? I completely blanked out during that segment, didn't realise it was a new announcement.

Yeah, Dragon Quest Builders 1 was the one in the DIrect for this spring. Builders 2 had also been announced for PS4/Switch previously but that's coming much later. Builders 1 coming is new news.

Wow figured they would do some pokemon limited edition for the 2DS XL here in Japan, glad I resisted buying one a few weeks ago.

Definitely in for the pokeball, but the black and green looks great too!... Yeah in for the pokeball one haha.

AniHawk

i will hazard a guess that today's direct is a result of the first wave of 'oh shit the switch is successful we gotta get in on that' for bigger devs. the smaller guys already got in there in time, so this will be the tail-end where the audience can still grow and change. it's the same deal as re4 and call of duty doing well on the wii in the beginning. from here, it's a matter of the support keeping up and developers providing parity on launches. things should start lining up more into 2018.

Top Bottom