• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Downloads - August 2009 (VC / WiiWare / DSiWare)

HUELEN10

pakkit said:
I refuse to buy anything called Furry Legends.
That goes triple for me. Sorry Gamelion!

Seriously though, from the little that's been seen, it looks like locoroco/rolando type game.

Nuclear Muffin said:
We know what next week is gonna be for VC (Return of the Jedi) so that just leaves WW and DSi Ware. My guess would be Contra Rebirth since Europe is supposed to get it this month along with Planet Puzzle League Express.
Supposed to is a real key word when it comes to Europe. We still don't have a fair number of these games which were supposed to come out in Q2 (or if we do they didn't come out in the quoted April - July timeframe). I still find getting Contra Rebirth a tad odd when we didn't get Contra 4 and are forced into the censored Probotector for the Virtual Console.

As for todays releases. Previously I've heared Mr. Driller W is basically a standalone verison of Mission Driller mode from the Nintendo DS game Mr. Driller: Drill Spirits (which I own two copies of) so its best not to paint some grand pictures of a WiiWare port of Mr. Driller Drill Land (from what I've found most people think Mr. Driller W is just that :( ).

zigg

pakkit said:
I refuse to buy anything called Furry Legends.

Me three.
(Okay, I might, if it ends up awesome somehow.)

The first thing I thought when I heard that news, though, is "oh hey, another game announcement from someone whose other games aren't even out yet." This is becoming quite the trend on *Ware, and I'm not sure who to blame.

I will probably grab Pop+ though later today. Thanks for nothing, Europeans, for the lack of impressions!

Rlan

zigg said:
Me three.
(Okay, I might, if it ends up awesome somehow.)

The first thing I thought when I heard that news, though, is "oh hey, another game announcement from someone whose other games aren't even out yet." This is becoming quite the trend on *Ware, and I'm not sure who to blame.

I will probably grab Pop+ though later today. Thanks for nothing, Europeans, for the lack of impressions!

At least with this company I appreciate them telling me about their game BEFORE they release it - it's usually quite the opposite on *ware :)

zigg

Re Furry Legends:

It was revealed through their twitter page that Furry Legends has just been approved by Nintendo.

Really? MORE: Never mind. My bad. There's s separate Twitter for FL. http://twitter.com/Furry_Legends

Rlan said:
At least with this company I appreciate them telling me about their game BEFORE they release it - it's usually quite the opposite on *ware :)

Yeah, that is sort of crappy, for the devs who want people to pay attention to their games, too... I get the impression it's hard to tell when Nintendo actually plans to put their titles up.

Oli

Ooo, Mr. Driller. Never played a game in that series before.

Isn't there one for XBLA also? I feel weird having another option these days... Anyway, does anyone know which is better? Or are they basically the same?

AniHawk said:
We battle at dawn.

Though you missed me at our battle ground, perhaps you spotted a large black hound, big as a steed, staring into your eyes. Be not alarmed, for the Moddey Dhoo has marked your fate. Take the last few days of your life with ease.

swerve

JodyAnthony said:
the xbla one is good, but i would prefer a better d-pad.

And that's why I'd go with the Wii version. It's a slimmed down version of the GC's finest Driller, and the Wii Remote dpad is great. Definitely worth the money.

I'm not a huge Mr. Driller fan, as I've only played one Mr. Driller game, and I mean that DS release game from 2004, but if this game is better, with more features, and maybe online, then I will get it.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
DavidDayton said:
The fact that Infogrames hasn't made the Atari back catalog available on the VC still boggles my mind. Then again...

1) Most of the good Atari-made 2600/5200/7800 games were arcade ports. The list of GOOD original Atari produced 2600 games is, well, somewhat low.

2) The Atari -arcade- rights, even to the pre-split games, still seems a bit murky. In theory Infogrames SHOULD have the ability to release (at least) the early Atari arcade stuff on something like the VCA, although there is a point at which the Midway holdings take over "Atari" arcade games, and it SEEMS like there is a duplication of some rights at some point.
The way I understand it, all pre-1985 arcade titles are Infogrames, while everything from Gauntlet to Rush 2049 is WBIE's now. That's why you don't see Centipede on a Midway Arcade Treasures compilation.

Eh, I'd just download the Atari 80 Games In One compilation off of Steam and call it a day.

zigg

Just got Pop+, gave it a handful of minutes before I get back to work here...

Not so sure I'm liking stylus play as much as I liked using the pointer, but I'm getting into it a little. Popping is okay, but pumping the bubbles is a little weird.

It also seems to register your tap where you release the stylus... meaning if you tap down and slide off the bubble before lifting, it counts as a miss. I think.

Will have to see if it gets better as time goes on.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
I've never played a Mr. Driller but I've been looking forward to this one finally getting released. I'll pick it up.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Nuclear Muffin said:
So how is Mr Driller W? How does it compare to Drill Land and Drill Spirits?
It is like a standalone version of the Drill Spirit's Mission Driller mode, without any multiplayer capabilities. There are local leaderboards, but not online. It containts 8 different stages with three difficulty levels, two of them being infinite.

The game's graphics are nice and you can control it in four different ways: classic style Wii Remote, Wii Remote + Nunchuk, Classic Controller or GameCube Controller.

PepsimanVsJoe said:
Super Empire Strikes Back is the best game of that series.
Pick it up people!

I did, 28 blocks of old school Lucas Arts crafted love into the old SD. It's just as good and as insanely difficult as when I was a kid (merciless enemy respawns that would make Contra proud), I've already started jotting down passwords on a post it note. :D

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
twinturbo2 said:
The way I understand it, all pre-1985 arcade titles are Infogrames, while everything from Gauntlet to Rush 2049 is WBIE's now. That's why you don't see Centipede on a Midway Arcade Treasures compilation.

Eh, I'd just download the Atari 80 Games In One compilation off of Steam and call it a day.

Actually, for the love of god, do not buy the Atari 80 Games In One compilation off of Steam for it is pretty incompatible with modern computers. 15 USD for a shiny front end.

HUELEN10 said:
So Nintendo doesn't make press.nintendo.com publicly updated anymore? That kinda sucks...

Another no-buy week for me, and apparently the bell has tolled for a guy who guaranteed Cave Story or something?

I will buy all 3 Star Wars games when all of them come out though. :D

Yeah, it's not coming out in August right now. A few minor bugs came up when it was submitted to Nintendo, so it was delayed.

neoism

DarthButcher said:
Yeah, it's not coming out in August right now. A few minor bugs came up when it was submitted to Nintendo, so it was delayed.
nuclear-bomb-badger350.jpg
'Seriously Nintendo!
16x16_smiley-indifferent.gif

neoism said:
'Seriously Nintendo!
16x16_smiley-indifferent.gif

If it makes you feel any better, Nicalis's Twitter said last Monday that they submitted the final online manual. Nintendo probably has the game set and ready to go for an early-mid September release.

I do not expect to see it next week. Tales of Monkey Island Episode 2 will show up instead, if the series is to remain monthly.

BooJoh

A couple question about Mr. Driller:

1) Are the buyable power-ups from Drill Spirits present? (extra hits, extra air, etc)

2) In previews there seem to be three different zoom modes, how does this work?

Somnid

upandaway said:
Nintendo's at fault now? Why isn't Nicalis at fault? They're the ones making the games sloppily and taking forever.

Usually delaying for quality is the opposite of sloppy.

upandaway

Somnid said:
Usually delaying for quality is the opposite of sloppy.
But the fact that it's a delay means the cause of delay was oversighted (my spellcheck doesn't like that word but I don't trust that guy), right?

neoism

upandaway said:
Nintendo's at fault now? Why isn't Nicalis at fault? They're the ones making the games sloppily and taking forever.
No they both are, it wouldn't be so bad if Nicalis knew when to STFU, and didn't say multiple times that it was coming in Feb, April, and July! :/ The game just isn't that big! They should have put a bigger team on it, but whatever!

The Hermit

DarthButcher said:

:lol :lol I don't think Dragona is going to swallow that...

Wait a minute, why am I laughing :(

Shard said:
Actually, for the love of god, do not buy the Atari 80 Games In One compilation off of Steam for it is pretty incompatible with modern computers. 15 USD for a shiny front end.

Really? That's weak. I didn't think they'd let anything like that happen.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
Capndrake said:
According to Konami it's been shoved into September.
aww shit , no Contra R. well will use my Wii points for world of goo or something else any suggestions people?

Jazzem

Been playing Pop+ a bit...it's not bad. It's definitely good value for money in terms of content, but it can get a bit repetitive/easy. I think the game's too generous in giving you extra time which doesn't give much of a sense of challenge. To be fair the WiiWare version was the same for that, but it's a shame nonetheless. I might stick to the timed modes more for that reason...

It's not a bad download though, and it's a decent third party DSiWare game :) I'd recommend a fair few other games on the service over it though (Sujin TaisenSujin TaisenSujin Taisen!)

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
Shard said:
Thanks for the warning, then. Saved me some money.

Baiano19 said:
:lol :lol I don't think Dragona is going to swallow that...

Wait a minute, why am I laughing :(

Oh well, I made a bold statement because at the time it WAS slated for August, but unfortunately it did get pushed back due to some finalization/minor bugs. Whacha gonna do, eh?

Here's to an awesome holiday lineup of WiiWare!

mclem

DarthButcher said:
Oh well, I made a bold statement because at the time it WAS slated for August, but unfortunately it did get pushed back due to some finalization/minor bugs. Whacha gonna do, eh?
Uh...

Well, *traditionally*...

I'm always slightly sceptical when small devs who aren't established on consoles tout release dates, simply because if you're not already intimately familiar with coding to be in-keeping with the various platform-holders' requirements, adding in the required features / beefing up to the required reliability can be a shock to the system.

neoism said:
'Seriously Nintendo!

so it's Nintendos fault when the devs try to release a buggy Wiiware game?
and also it seems to be a bad move by Nintendo when they want the devs to eliminate the bugs??
really? really?

CTLance

iamaustrian said:
so it's Nintendos fault when the devs try to release a buggy Wiiware game?
and also it seems to be a bad move by Nintendo when they want the devs to eliminate the bugs??
really? really?
Damned if you do, damned if you don't. They cannot win.

Capndrake

A few new OFLC DSiWare/WiiWare ratings:

-Dragon Quest Wars (Square Enix, DSiWare)
-Moki Moki (Natsume, WiiWare)
-Reel Fishing Challenge (Natsume, WiiWare)
-Tales of Monkey Island: Chapter 2 - The Siege of Spinner Cay (Telltale Games, WiiWare)

Top Bottom