• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Downloads - August 2015

maxcriden

The problem is, the screen handling isn't consistent. The default gamepad screen (I know they can be switched) is displaying a fixed view locked on the player, but the TV screen has a dynamic camera that zooms in and out to displays enemies, stuff to grab, and focus on specific areas when it makes sense. So generally it's better to watch the TV screen, except it gets obscured with needless messages. So you spend a lot of time switching, sometimes in action. Why does the cat (and a scree filter) appear to say completely useless stuff while in action like this:

... is beyond me. There are tons of polish issues like this that no update has fixed.

For Elliot Quest, I wonder if the Steam version has the same issues. I'm planning to get that one, when it has issues they're generally fixed quicker.

As to EQ, no idea about the Steam version. I can only hope not--then again, Wii U version has extra content, and I don't know if/when that will be added or has been already added to the Steam version.

In re: SKAHBOR, I can understand your frustration, but FWIW I never once looked at the TV when playing. You can definitely find anything you need to just by focusing on the one fixed screen and exploring the level in question. You might find you enjoy it a lot more than this. (For me, trying to focus at all on the dynamic screen was just dizzying and a hindrance more than a help.)

OmegaFax

$7.99 for Revelations on 3DS
$6.79 for either Street Fighter IV (3DS) or Mercenaries 3D.

Even though I'm backlogged ... got Revelations for 3DS to scratch that portable RE itch. Save myself from getting the near $30 port of Revelations 2 on Vita.

$7.99 for Revelations on 3DS
$6.79 for either Street Fighter IV (3DS) or Mercenaries 3D.

Even though I'm backlogged ... got Revelations for 3DS to scratch that portable RE itch. Save myself from getting the near $30 port of Revelations 2 on Vita.

that is it? the capcom sale?? WHAT the fu?? what about monster hunter? and phoenix wright?

jholmes

Euros, go get Scram Kitty! If you like twin-stick shooters at all you're in for some fun!

What's VS. Excitebike? NOA just mentioned it on twitter.

Virtual Console imports are finally back?

Also I checked that Twitter post and a bunch of the replies are GAFfers. Of course.

OmegaFax

that is it? the capcom sale?? WHAT the fu?? what about monster hunter? and phoenix wright?

Those are on sale, too. It isn't a complete list.

Edit:

MH3U - $13.59
MH4U - $29.99
Ace Attorney Dual Destinies - $16.79
Ace Attorney Trilogy - $22.49
RE: The Mercenaries 3D - $6.79
RE: Revelations - $7.99
Super Street Fighter IV 3D Edition - $6.79

Also, Wii U games ... will post eventually if someone else doesn't before me.

I am downloading something on the 3ds but I can confirm both Phoenix Wright titles are on sale as well as the two Monster Hunters.

WiiU

DuckTales $5.99
Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate $13.59
Resident Evil Revelations $13.59
Dungeons and Dragons $4.99

I can update the 3ds in a few minutes if someone hasn't posted it already.

Those are on sale, too. It isn't a complete list.

Edit:

MH3U - $13.59
MH4U - $29.99
Ace Attorney Dual Destinies - $16.79
Ace Attorney Trilogy - $22.49
RE: The Mercenaries 3D - $6.79
RE: Revelations - $7.99
Super Street Fighter IV 3D Edition - $6.79

Also, Wii U games ... will post eventually if someone else doesn't before me.

ah, thanks man.

Do you think AA dual destinies is worth at that price? I think that is the lowest it's been correct? I think I will get it.

jholmes

I am downloading something on the 3ds but I can confirm both Phoenix Wright titles are on sale as well as the two Monster Hunters.

WiiU

DuckTales $5.99
Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate $13.59
Resident Evil Revelations $13.59
Dungeons and Dragons $4.99

I can update the 3ds in a few minutes if someone hasn't posted it already.

Just want to confirm these are also the prices in Canada, so it's a pretty decent deal for us Canucks.

OmegaFax

ah, thanks man.

Do you think AA dual destinies is worth at that price? I think that is the lowest it's been correct? I think I will get it.

Can't say. Never played the AA games for more than a few minutes (demo included). I know that Street Fighter the two RE games are slightly lower than a sale Capcom ran earlier this year on the eShop. Doesn't look like the sale price budged for either AA titles.

There probably won't be another Capcom publisher sale on the eShop for a little while (by my guess). If you like the series and looking to play it now, it's probably a good opportunity.

Can't say. Never played the AA games for more than a few minutes (demo included). I know that Street Fighter the two RE games are slightly lower than a sale Capcom ran earlier this year on the eShop. Doesn't look like the sale price budged for either AA titles.

There probably won't be another Capcom publisher sale on the eShop for a little while (by my guess). If you like the series and looking to play it now, it's probably a good opportunity.

one more question: do you know for how long the sale is good for? I just bought a new 3ds XL, and have not transferred my account yet, will do it sometime this week.

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
ah, thanks man.

I personally thought AA was worth it at its full price when I bought it, so yeh I'd say it's worth $16.79. I ended up spending over 40 hours with the game.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Tappingo (both of them), I like to think of as a more "relaxing/chill" puzzle game. It's never really difficult, but it is kind of fun seeing what you'll make next, even if there's not much challenge. At the very least, the prices are nice & cheap, especially when they're on sale. The sequel did kind of fix some of the issues with the previous games, but if you weren't fond of the first game, I don't think the sequel would change your mind.

What's VS. Excitebike? NOA just mentioned it on twitter.
Well release plans would explain its rather odd appearance in the Nintendo content creators whitelist.

I'm personally hoping for Vs. Ice Climber. While it is still Ice Climber it has new levels and that kind of stuff.

Tomita

Sorry if this is inappropriate, but it seems fine enough for this thread... NeoGAF, should I buy Animal Crossing New Leaf?

I've never played an AC game, though it seems like something I could maybe like? I keep putting off trying the series. Actually, I'm going to buy the Home Designer game coming up, and I was going to see if that would get me into the main series. But now I suddenly have this insane urge to try New Leaf, and it's ridiculous.

Is it the kind of game you can easily play for a half hour / hour and just dink around? Or does it demand hours of attention all the time? I see people whine in mock despair about how they've neglected their Animal Crossing towns and everyone hates them or something, but is that because people just get bored of the game and move on to other things, or is it because AC demands a lot of time? If the game is meant to be played in short spats, I think it would be great to buy, especially since I'm in university and I only have so much free time. Or maybe because I'm in uni buying AC is a terrible idea. I'm not sure, hence posting here, lol.

PROS
- Can play in short spats--right?
- Seems like a genre I would like.
- Bored with all my 3DS games save Fantasy Life, but I'm like...3/4 through the game. Could easily finish it before school starts back up.
- Especially bored with Tomodachi Life, which I got at launch. I can't see myself really playing the game for a long, long while. I like the idea of TL, but it does nothing for me anymore. I got like 40-60 hours out of it, though, so I'm not complaining. But it's similar to AC is why I bring it up.
- It's only $25 at Wal-Mart, damn!

CONS
- I just preordered The Legend of Legacy and the AC Home Designer game. I also plan to purchase Youkai Watch and Hyrule Warriors shortly after they come out. So, even at $25, maybe I shouldn't buy AC to save my budget.
- I just preordered two games and intend to buy two more...so maybe I don't need to get another game right now, despite the fact I could see myself playing a shitload of AC until the end of September when school starts (then, after that, just depends on my homework/study load!)*
On the other hand, I don't see myself buying anymore video games for quite a long time. Maybe not until next fall or something, unless another random like The Legend of Legacy pops to my radar.
- Since I'm getting Home Designer, why bother with New Leaf so soon? But, at the announcement of Home Designer, I noticed a lot of AC fans complaining about it because they wanted another main AC game. It seems there are enough differences for them to be different enough games?? Not sure.

*Should probably note that despite preordering two games, I won't be able to play them ASAP. They are both shipping to my house, not my dorm, so I wouldn't be able to play them until I went back home on a break. That "break" could be before Thanksgiving (US resident), but I honestly can't say.

Sorry for the long post, I'm just really torn on if I should try it, and the people I know don't like Animal Crossing, lol. What say you, NeoGAF? Be honest. Call me crazy if you want.

joedick

Well release plans would explain its rather odd appearance in the Nintendo content creators whitelist.

I'm personally hoping for Vs. Ice Climber. While it is still Ice Climber it has new levels and that kind of stuff.

Vs. Excitebike will be the FDS version so sadly no arcade games on the horizon.

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
Sorry if this is inappropriate, but it seems fine enough for this thread... NeoGAF, should I buy Animal Crossing New Leaf?

I've never played an AC game, though it seems like something I could maybe like? I keep putting off trying the series. Actually, I'm going to buy the Home Designer game coming up, and I was going to see if that would get me into the main series. But now I suddenly have this insane urge to try New Leaf, and it's ridiculous.

Is it the kind of game you can easily play for a half hour / hour and just dink around? Or does it demand hours of attention all the time? I see people whine in mock despair about how they've neglected their Animal Crossing towns and everyone hates them or something, but is that because people just get bored of the game and move on to other things, or is it because AC demands a lot of time? If the game is meant to be played in short spats, I think it would be great to buy, especially since I'm in university and I only have so much free time. Or maybe because I'm in uni buying AC is a terrible idea. I'm not sure, hence posting here, lol.

PROS
- Can play in short spats--right?
- Seems like a genre I would like.
- Bored with all my 3DS games save Fantasy Life, but I'm like...3/4 through the game. Could easily finish it before school starts back up.
- Especially bored with Tomodachi Life, which I got at launch. I can't see myself really playing the game for a long, long while. I like the idea of TL, but it does nothing for me anymore. I got like 40-60 hours out of it, though, so I'm not complaining. But it's similar to AC is why I bring it up.
- It's only $25 at Wal-Mart, damn!

CONS
- I just preordered The Legend of Legacy and the AC Home Designer game. I also plan to purchase Youkai Watch and Hyrule Warriors shortly after they come out. So, even at $25, maybe I shouldn't buy AC to save my budget.
- I just preordered two games and intend to buy two more...so maybe I don't need to get another game right now, despite the fact I could see myself playing a shitload of AC until the end of September when school starts (then, after that, just depends on my homework/study load!)*
On the other hand, I don't see myself buying anymore video games for quite a long time. Maybe not until next fall or something, unless another random like The Legend of Legacy pops to my radar.
- Since I'm getting Home Designer, why bother with New Leaf so soon? But, at the announcement of Home Designer, I noticed a lot of AC fans complaining about it because they wanted another main AC game. It seems there are enough differences for them to be different enough games?? Not sure.

*Should probably note that despite preordering two games, I won't be able to play them ASAP. They are both shipping to my house, not my dorm, so I wouldn't be able to play them until I went back home on a break. That "break" could be before Thanksgiving (US resident), but I honestly can't say.

Sorry for the long post, I'm just really torn on if I should try it, and the people I know don't like Animal Crossing, lol. What say you, NeoGAF? Be honest. Call me crazy if you want.

Yes, you can play it in short spurts without there being any issues. You can even skip days if you want, only issues being that you might have weeds, some flowers might die, and your villagers might move. The first two issues are fixed with an ordinance that you can set in your town hall which prevents flowers from wilting and limits weeds spawning as well. There are also ones that make your stores/villagers stay up later or earlier, so you can use those to fit the game into your schedule.

Personally, if you have a lot of other games to play, I'd say you can always hold off, as it's not going anywhere. However, it's an easy game to fit around other games, if that makes sense. These days I usually only play about 10-15 minutes in the morning while I eat breakfast. I'd also personally recommend it over Happy Home Designer, unless you're really into the home designing aspect that that game centers on. New Leaf is less expensive, and also has a greater variety of things to do (I'm comfortable saying this even without having played HHD). Certainly there will be some additions in HHD that are better than New Leaf, such as additional items and ease of designing houses. That said, I've possibly played New Leaf longer than most, if not all, people on this site, and I still find new dialogue I'm surprised by, though certainly less things to do as I've accomplished my goals.

There's a lot you can do though. There are minigames you can play on an island, you can fill a museum with art, bugs, fish, and fossils, you can breed flowers, plant trees, fill your catalog with clothes, accessories, and other items, and there's even an achievement system that tracks things you do, like visiting other towns or catching x number of fish. Despite me listing all these things, New Leaf is largely a game where you set your own goals. There aren't really required objectives, so if you do pick it up my advice would be to think of the aspects of the game you like and think about how you can focus your experience around those aspects, rather than forcing yourself to do A, then B, then C, and so on. I'm not saying you have to take my advice in regards to HHD vs NL, but that's just how I personally feel.

NeoGAF, should I buy Animal Crossing New Leaf?
Niraj did a great job describing it but I wanted to stress how perfect Animal Crossing sounds for you. It's designed to be played in short bursts. Of course, you could also put hours and hours every day if you felt like it, but it's also perfect for people who don't have much time to play to invest themselves in. 10 to 15 minutes will do it, or even maybe less once you streamline your daily routine, and you don't even have to play it daily if you don't feel like it. The game doesn't really demand anything, you put in what you want and it's just about as stress free as gaming gets.
Tomodachi Life is actually not very similar to AC at all, despite what some people say. Fantasy Life is more like it but without the combat, of course. As great as Happy Home Designer looks, it doesn't really work as a replacement for New Leaf and probably works better if you've played this game before. ACNL is the best in the series and my favorite 3DS game so I can't really recommend it enough, specially in your particular case and at that price.

That said, I've possibly played New Leaf longer than most, if not all, people on this site, and I still find new dialogue I'm surprised by, though certainly less things to do as I've accomplished my goals.
Wow, that's really impressive. My Activity Log had a bit over 1000 hours logged last time I checked (have a demo opened that I don't want to close, so can't check exactly how many right now), but that's shared with my brother, so only about half of that is actually mine and I'm sure you've put a lot more into it! How much time does your Activity Log say you put into it? I've also stopped playing daily since I accomplished my goals by now.

zigg

I happily paid full price.

I feel like Trilogy should be a bit cheaper yet though… but, then again, I still own the DS games. 😊 For someone who hasn't played them it's an easy recommendation.

MrV4ltor

So Nintendo just announced their PAX Prime plans and these are the Nindies that are playable at the Nindie lounge in the Sheraton Seattle Hotel:

- Action Henk (Curve Digital)
- FAST Racing Neo (Shin’en)
- Freedom Planet (Galaxy Trail)
- Hive Jump (Graphite Lab)
- Oddworld: New ‘n’ Tasty (Oddworld Inhabitants, Inc. / Just Add Water (Developments) Ltd. / Nephilim Games)
- Runbow (13AM Games)
- Shantae Half-Genie Hero (WayForward)
- Typoman (Headup Games / Brainseed Factory)
- Year Walk (Simogo / Dakko Dakko)
- Mutant Mudds Super Challenge (Renegade Kid)
- SteamWorld Heist (Image & Form)
- The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth (Nicalis, Inc.)
- Shovel Knight: Plague of Shadows (Yacht Club Games)

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
So Nintendo just announced their PAX Prime plans and these are the Nindies that are playable at the Nindie lounge in the Sheraton Seattle Hotel:

- Oddworld: New ‘n’ Tasty (Oddworld Inhabitants, Inc. / Just Add Water (Developments) Ltd. / Nephilim Games)
- Runbow (13AM Games)

Oddworld is playable? Great, after so much time spent in the dark. Pretty interested in the announcements at the event.

Xenoboy

You Americans were complaining about lack of VC stuff and now we Europeans haven't really gotten anything interesting these past two months. :p

maxcriden

You Americans were complaining about lack of VC stuff and now we Europeans haven't really gotten anything interesting these past two months. :p

Aww, Xenoboy. There, there.

tumblr_n1ol8cPd9w1s1vt4mo1_500.gif

It's gonna be okay.

tumblr_lqgdbym3nl1r0xuh4o2_400.gif

You'll get your VC releases soon.

tumblr_mpw448dpxh1rktnomo1_400.gif

Soon enough, EU will ketchup on VC releases. :)

Experien

- Runbow (13AM Games)

SO good to see Hive Jump, been anxiously awaiting that game. That and FAST.

Umibozu

- Runbow (13AM Games)
So freedom planet got un-cancelled :-D
/jk

also

Banned
Who at SEGA thought that using this art to promote GH was okay?
SYa35gf.png

I get trying to appeal to retro fans but when the original art makes your game look like shovelware you should maybe update it a bit. It's so ugly and amateurish looking that is putting me off buying a supposedly great game.
/rant

?
I won't know for sure until I play it. Or are you trying to say it's a bad game?

It's an incredible game!
Please don't let something like bad early 90's artwork put you off.
For me it's the best 'Run-n-Gun' ever, certainly a must play for anybody.

That art is from the Japanese MD cover btw which has a certain charm to it:
gunstar-inst-2.jpg

...but you're right, it doesn't make for the best banner.

Who at SEGA thought that using this art to promote GH was okay?
SYa35gf.png

I get trying to appeal to retro fans but when the original art makes your game look like shovelware you should maybe update it a bit. It's so ugly and amateurish looking that is putting me off buying a supposedly great game.
/rant
I've never been Han's biggest fan, I'm surprised I'm even defending him, but the guy deserves more respect than that, man. Look him up, he's worked on some really great, loved games, and he's designs (yes, even those you're criticizing so much) are really iconic, even if they're not your cup of tea.

As for the game, if your opinion on a simple drawing that's not even featured in the game is enough to persuade you against getting one of the most beloved games of its generation, then I don't know what to tell you. I'm pretty sure the NA version uses the NA Genesis cover art anyway, which maybe you'll like better. If anything else about the game is attractive to you, then get it, man, 'cause it's pretty damn radical.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Probably not happening since they'd have to switch engine to get it running on Wii U.

Just for information: what engine does it run on? Did they change it for the PS4 version or is it the same?

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
Wow, that's really impressive. My Activity Log had a bit over 1000 hours logged last time I checked (have a demo opened that I don't want to close, so can't check exactly how many right now), but that's shared with my brother, so only about half of that is actually mine and I'm sure you've put a lot more into it! How much time does your Activity Log say you put into it? I've also stopped playing daily since I accomplished my goals by now.

Haven't really checked, but I'd wager around 2000, maybe a little under or over. Though as New Leaf OT frequenters would hopefully attest, much of that (though not a majority of course) was simply opening my town and letting people catalog items/buy paintings/sell stuff/etc. I've had 1000+ visitors, so it adds up. I'm not sure how much time I've actually spent "playing," but I'm sure it's quite a bit too :p

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
So I just did an interview with Two Tribes a few hours ago and the status of Rive did come up and it looks like the game has at least another good half year of work to go before it is fully ready.

Top Bottom