• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Downloads - February 2010

Dragmire

JustAnotherOtaku said:
IMO, very much so. I bought it on my Japanese Wii the day it came out there. There's not a lot of depth to it (you jump over things and...that's about it :p) but it's enjoyable and pretty addictive. If you appreciate the more bizarre Japanese games then definitely download it.
Olorin said:
Yes! It's not a very deep or long game, but it's excellently silly. Great for parties (if you have several wiimotes, because it doesn't support gamecube controllers) but single player is fun too, and there's online leaderboards as well.
Thanks for the impressions. I went ahead and got the game, and I liked it a lot. It was just the first day the game was available, but I got very high on the leaderboards for most levels, my highest being #2 for level 2-2 I think. I was a little disappointed when I read later that it's also a $2 iPhone game (since I paid $5 for it) but it is still a good game for $5.

Brazil said:
Reflect Missile is awesome, and Starship Patrol is cool, but represents everything that I hate about the TD games that follow Desktop's heritage. Having seeing the evolution of TDs in StarCraft and WarCraft III through the years, it's just sad that this is the TD style that is popular nowadays. It's so fuckin' limited, boring and uninspiring. PixelJunk Monsters is another example of this.
Omg, I love this game. I admit, I didn't play a lot of Starcraft and never played Warcraft III so my exposure to TD started with the more recent flash-based games like Desktop Tower Defense. But give it a little more time. The difficulty ramps up pretty quickly, and they throw a lot of different ideas at you. It's one of my favorite TD games. I thought it was pretty unique, but maybe I haven't had enough exposure to the genre.

Alpha_eX

I just got a DSi with 1000 shop points, is there a thread with recommended games or can someone help me out with a few suggestions?

donny2112

There are various threads, but without search enabled, it's tough to find them.

I'd highly suggest Mario vs. DK: Minis March Again as giving you the most bang for your buck. IIRC, there's like 100 levels in the main game, and then there's the level creator that let's you save over 100 more levels downloaded from online, including ones from Nintendo.

Spocker

This week's downloads that has been made public by NoE:

Virtual Console:
Sonic & Knuckles™ (Mega Drive, 800p)

WiiWare:
Overturn: Mecha Wars (800p)
Frogger Returns (500p)

DSiWare:
Let's Golf (800p)
Sudoku 4Pockets (500p)

Somnid

MMKirby said:
When the hell is an import of Seiken Densetsu 3 coming out...

Basically what Capndrake said. Imports are pretty much exactly what a physical import would be, the game in its native form. Part of this seems to stem from the fact that it can be quite difficult to go in and mess with the ROM and most of these games probably don't have source code lying around. At least, it seems unlikely that the effort needed to go in and hack it is worth the money they'll make on it.

A special exception was made for Sin & Punishment probably because neither of those applied in that special case. Honestly, if it can't be easily played without understanding Japanese it's not likely to happen.

McNum

Sonic and Knuckles Get!

The lock on works nicely. It can even lock on games that are on the SD card, so there's no need to have Sonic 2 and 3 in the Wii memory if you don't want to. I think the game is doing the PAL slowdown thing, though. Too bad, but it's Sonic 3 and Knuckles, and that's all I wanted to see. I think this pretty much completes my wishlist for Virtual Console.

Spocker

Spocker said:

Virtual Console:

WiiWare:
Overturn: Mecha Wars (800p)
Frogger Returns (500p)

DSiWare:
Let's Golf (800p)
Sudoku 4Pockets (500p)

In addition these games made an apperance tonight:

DSiWare
Electroplankton™ Rec-Rec (200p)
Electroplankton™ Lumiloop (200p)

Some new confirmed games for the 19th:

WiiWare:
Brain Cadets™ (1000p)

DSiWare:
Puzzle to Go Wildlife (500p)
DOWNTOWN TEXAS HOLD'EM (500p)
Flight Control (500p)

Spocker said:
Flight Control (500p)
That's that Iphone game, right?

@Lijik: I don't mind one series of them but there are like 3 up there and 2 standalone games or something :(

I'll get S&K as well. I loved this game :)

mclem

Just opened up my copy of Edge, and there's a full-page ad for a Wiiware game, "Lead the Meerkats" which - as far as I can recall - I've not heard an announcement of before. They've also got an associated website; http://www.leadthemeerkats.com/ . It looks a bit like a cannon fodder style game, at least as best as I can determine from the screnshots. It also doesn't look all that good, but maybe it's early days.

Did I just miss an earlier announcement, or is this a new title?

I saw a Meerkat game have a few news stories on Nintendolife several months back so it isn't a new announcement. The main thing that was on my mind was Ant Nation for some reason.

Still it having advertisement in EDGE suggests it should be coming out soon...

Nakasan

McNum said:
Sonic and Knuckles Get!

The lock on works nicely. It can even lock on games that are on the SD card, so there's no need to have Sonic 2 and 3 in the Wii memory if you don't want to. I think the game is doing the PAL slowdown thing, though. Too bad, but it's Sonic 3 and Knuckles, and that's all I wanted to see. I think this pretty much completes my wishlist for Virtual Console.

I had read that lock on was a no go for Wii. Have you actually done this yourself to test it?

BooJoh

Spocker said:
Flight Control (500p)
I looked up some videos of Flight Control on iPhone, and it looks like fun, but I can't help but be a little annoyed at a $1 iPhone game being bumped up to $5 for DSiWare.

Spocker said:

Virtual Console:

I read that quickly and thought it was NoA. Why must they torture us like this?
Screw that DS compilation that is more than likely the reason NA won't be seeing S&K VC soon.

A question to those of you that have the Japanese S&K VC (+all the other 3 main Gen/MD Sonics).
As you see in the lock-on demonstration video, the menu pops up, and when S3&K is selected, it automatically cuts to a few seconds into the title screen.
I am really hoping it's just how that video was edited...does the 'lock-on' feature for the VC S3&K really cut out the first few seconds of the title screen? (I can only assume it'd be the same for the others)
This would be the one thing keeping it from being a 100% genuine pixel perfect port...

jetsetfluken said:
A question to those of you that have the Japanese S&K VC (+all the other 3 main Gen/MD Sonics).
As you see in the lock-on demonstration video, the menu pops up, and when S3&K is selected, it automatically cuts to a few seconds into the title screen.
I am really hoping it's just how that video was edited...does the 'lock-on' feature for the VC S3&K really cut out the first few seconds of the title screen? (I can only assume it'd be the same for the others)
This would be the one thing keeping it from being a 100% genuine pixel perfect port...
That is how the video is edited. This video shows that the boot up sequence is retained.

Also, hate to pedantic but wouldn't the fact the BIOS is missing from the VC versions (the screen saying "this product under the liscence of sega enterprises") prevent it from being pixel perfect (to be honest it isn't too high on my list).

MoxManiac

Does anyone remember if Megaman 1 2 and 3 were all released in time for MM9? I'd love to see 4, 5 and 6 go up before MM10 but that's highly doubtful.

JaseMath

MoxManiac said:
Does anyone remember if Megaman 1 2 and 3 were all released in time for MM9? I'd love to see 4, 5 and 6 go up before MM10 but that's highly doubtful.
1 and 2 were. 3 came a month or two later IIRC.

Starwolf_UK said:
That is how the video is edited. This video shows that the boot up sequence is retained.

Also, hate to pedantic but wouldn't the fact the BIOS is missing from the VC versions (the screen saying "this product under the liscence of sega enterprises") prevent it from being pixel perfect (to be honest it isn't too high on my list).

Phew! :D Finally after almost two generations of sloppy or slightly-off ports, we get a proper "pixel-perfect" port of the Gen/MD Sonic's, most importantly proper S3&K.

As for the screen you mention that boots before all Genesis/MD games, well, I guess we'd have to fire up the ol' Genesis/MD for that. :lol

Somnid

MoxManiac said:

Only MM4 will show up before MM10. Either next week or the week after.

McNum

Nakasan said:
I had read that lock on was a no go for Wii. Have you actually done this yourself to test it?

Yup, done it myself. Locks on to Sonic 1, 2 and 3, just like the original. Hit "-" when playing Sonic and Knuckles to open the lock-on menu. If you've got either of the other games, in system memory or on SD card, you can lock-on. Works nicely and I've been playing Sonic 3 and Knuckles today. It's as good as it ever was, I even found routes I didn't know existed when I played it originally. Sonic 4 really has its work cut out for it, if it wants to be the sequel to this game.

ILikeFeet

Banned
new WiiWare game! its a secret so they seem to be revealing it slowly.

Details:
- rooted in origins of a historical and geographical nature
- main character is a hunter who is on a personal expedition
- has a log book to keep track of adventures. may be a part of gameplay
- huge scope, enemies, mazes
- purchase new equipment to use
- some areas inaccessible until certain items are aquired
- 3 skill levels, 8 hours

4351658511_f913f3be60_o.jpg

the site seems to have seen the game already

http://www.wiiloveit.com/features/wiiloveit-exclusive-first-details-of-upcoming-wiiware-platformer

Hero of Legend said:
http://www.bplus.at/pr100210en.htm

Bplus, makers of Bit Boy!!, Niki - Rock 'n' Ball, PLÄTTCHEN - twist 'n' paint, and the upcoming Vektor Tank is teaming up with Marvelous to release their games in Japan, that's fucking unexpected, MMV must see potential in these guys!

I wonder if they have any original ideas in the works together? Vektor Tank is said to be a Wii retail game so I'm sure that there's a possibility of a neat retail project from both working together down the road.
To add to this Marvelous are releasing some other WiiWare games (as part of the World Game Parade) in Japan. The other 3 games are: Equilibrio, Max & the Magic Marker and Zombie Panic in Wonderland.

Also worth mentioning is Bit Man!! has quite a few differences compared to Bit Boy as mentioned in this interview. To be honest it sounds on a higher level than the Gradius Rebirth update (which come to think of, where is that? the update hit Japan months ago).

Penguin

Looking to buy a Wiiware game today, but there's so many that people recommend, I honestly don't know which one to try.

I've narrowed it down to Contra, Castlevania or Blaster Master. I think.

But what about some of the other games, and Max and the Magic Marker was awesome, when is that out?

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Mafro said:
Reflect Missile (Tajectile in the US) is awesome.

That is all.
awesome is not the correct word here. more like soul-sucking.

mclem

ILikeFeet said:
new WiiWare game! its a secret so they seem to be revealing it slowly.

Details:
- rooted in origins of a historical and geographical nature
- main character is a hunter who is on a personal expedition
- has a log book to keep track of adventures. may be a part of gameplay
- huge scope, enemies, mazes
- purchase new equipment to use
- some areas inaccessible until certain items are aquired
- 3 skill levels, 8 hours

Sounds uncannily like La Mulana, except that's way more than 8 hours long

Mafro

blu said:
awesome is not the correct word here. more like soul-sucking.

Tell me about it. I sat down to play it for five minutes...which turned into an hour and a half.

For Euro-GAF, I've emailed a few of the PR people at Capcom Europe to see when, if at all, we are getting Dark Void Zero.

Oxx

Has anybody managed to unlock the final class in Reflect Missile/Trajectile?

There are three stages in the penultimate class that I just cannot beat.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
donny2112 said:
There are various threads, but without search enabled, it's tough to find

OT:

Is there a known reason for this? What I mean is, Evilore/his minions did actually say something about the search function coming back and when?
Also, is it just me or the forum's crashing more and more? Not today, but most days (like 3 days out of 7) the forum is slooooow and I end up gettin' many 500s.

Mafro

Dash Kappei said:
OT:

Is there a known reason for this? What I mean is, Evilore/his minions did actually say something about the search function coming back and when?
Also, is it just me or the forum's crashing more and more? Not today, but most days (like 3 days out of 7) the forum is slooooow and I end up gettin' many 500s.

Probably something to do with all the new accounts being approved.

Top Bottom