• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Downloads - February 2012

Sinthetic

Piss poor effort on the UK Shop for the past few weeks, no VVVVVV, no Mudds, no Sakura, not even a fucking demo apart from Cooking Mama and Revelations.

Shame on you.

Don't get me started on how much I hate Club Nintendo for not offering the games for stars rewards that the US get.

NINTENDO DOWNLOAD HIGHLIGHTS NEW DIGITAL CONTENT FOR NINTENDO SYSTEMS - FEB. 2, 2012

Feb. 2, 2012

This week's Nintendo Download includes the following featured content:

Nintendo eShop
Sakura Samurai: Art of the Sword™ - Travel a world rife with beauty and danger to rescue the legendary Princess Cherry Blossom. Her kidnapper has placed dozens of blade-wielding henchmen in your path. (For Nintendo 3DS™)

Nintendo eShop and Nintendo DSiWare™
GO Series: Undead Storm - Six months after a mysterious meteorite strike, the undead have awoken and are taking over the city. What lies behind this zombie epidemic? Only you can uncover the truth. (For Nintendo 3DS / Nintendo DSi™)

Nintendo Video™
"Drown in the Now" by The Crystal Method (available Feb. 3 at 3 p.m. PST) - UVPHACTORY created a graphic black, white and red New York neighborhood that has been infested by small robots. The video culminates with Matisyahu's rescue via boat by The Crystal Method. (For Nintendo 3DS)

Iwata Asks
Swapnote™ - Read the latest edition of Iwata Asks for an inside look at Swapnote, a new application that allows Nintendo 3DS owners to write, decorate and send handwritten 3D notes to people on their friend lists via SpotPass™ and StreetPass™. Swapnote is available to download from the Nintendo eShop at no cost.

Also new this week:
• Carmen Sandiego Adventures in Math: The Great Gateway Grab (WiiWare™)

To view this week's Nintendo Download in its full graphical version, please visit: http://www.news2know.net/nintendo/download3Cb1LaF8.php.

In addition to video games available at retail stores, Nintendo also offers a variety of content that people can download directly to their systems. Nintendo adds new titles to the Nintendo eShop for the Nintendo 3DS™ system, to the Nintendo DSi™ Shop for the Nintendo DSi system and to the Wii™ Shop Channel for the Wii console at 9 a.m. Pacific time on Thursdays.

The Nintendo eShop is a cash-based service and features games, applications and videos in both 2D and 3D. Users can add money to their virtual wallets using a credit card or by purchasing a Nintendo 3DS Prepaid Card at a retail store and entering the code from the card.

The Wii Shop Channel offers games and applications and uses Wii Points™, which can be purchased via the Wii Shop Channel. The Nintendo DSi Shop offers games and applications and uses Nintendo DSi Points™, which can be purchased in the Nintendo DSi Shop. A Wii Points Card™ and Nintendo DSi Points Card™ can be purchased at retail locations. All points from one card must be redeemed in either the Wii Shop Channel or the Nintendo DSi Shop, respectively. They are not transferable and cannot be divided between the two systems.

Remember that Wii, Nintendo 3DS and Nintendo DSi feature parental controls that let adults manage some of the content their children can access. For more information about this and other features, visit http://www.nintendo.com/wii, http://www.nintendo.com/3ds or http://www.nintendo.com/ds/systems/dsi.

Nintendo also posted a press release announcing that game demos will be available starting Feb. 6, WTF?!?! (Also Pokemon TV episodes)

EDIT- Oh, for Nintendo Zone users

NINTENDO ZONE ADDS POKÉMON EPISODES AND GAME DEMOS

New Content Will Be Available at More Than 29,000 Locations

REDMOND, Wash., Feb. 2, 2012 - Nintendo 3DS™ owners are getting access to a wealth of fun entertainment and information that they can access on the go. Starting Feb. 6, Nintendo Zone™ will offer a variety of new content, including playable demos of select Nintendo 3DS video games and a dedicated Pokémon™ section that will feature full-length episodes of the Pokémon TV series. All of this exciting new content is only available when owners are wirelessly connected to a Nintendo Zone location.

"Nintendo 3DS continues to deliver fun and engaging new experiences, especially for users who connect their systems to the Internet," said Zach Fountain, Nintendo of America's director of Strategic Partnerships. "Nintendo 3DS is our most connected system ever, and Nintendo Zone offers a wealth of exclusive content to users who take their systems with them when they are away from home."

Nintendo Zone also includes trivia games featuring the latest Nintendo 3DS software, exclusive coupons available only at Best Buy for discounts on Nintendo 3DS games and a showcase of Nintendo 3DS games that includes videos, screen shots and one-click links to game websites. The Pokémon section will also include information and videos about the newest Pokémon video games, Pokémon Trading Card Game and Pokémon news.

Nintendo Zone content can be accessed at more than 29,000 locations at restaurants, coffee shops, hotels, airports and malls in the United States and Canada. Nintendo 3DS owners can find a Nintendo Zone location by visiting http://www.nintendo.com/3ds/nintendozone.

Remember that Nintendo 3DS features parental controls that let adults manage the content their children can access. For more information about this and other features, visit http://www.nintendo.com/3ds.

About Nintendo: The worldwide pioneer in the creation of interactive entertainment, Nintendo Co., Ltd., of Kyoto, Japan, manufactures and markets hardware and software for its Wii™ home console, Nintendo 3DS™ and Nintendo DS™ family of portable systems. Since 1983, when it launched the Nintendo Entertainment System™, Nintendo has sold more than 3.9 billion video games and more than 620 million hardware units globally, including the current-generation Wii, Nintendo 3DS, Nintendo DS, Nintendo DSi™ and Nintendo DSi XL™, as well as the Game Boy™, Game Boy Advance, Super NES™, Nintendo 64™ and Nintendo GameCube™ systems. It has also created industry icons that have become well-known, household names such as Mario™, Donkey Kong™, Metroid™, Zelda™ and Pokémon™. A wholly owned subsidiary, Nintendo of America Inc., based in Redmond, Wash., serves as headquarters for Nintendo's operations in the Western Hemisphere. For more information about N ntendo, please visit the company's website at http://www.nintendo.com.

About Pokémon
The Pokémon Company International, a subsidiary of The Pokémon Company in Japan, manages the property outside of Asia and is responsible for brand management, licensing, marketing, the Pokémon Trading Card Game, the animated TV series, home entertainment, and the official Pokémon website. Pokémon was launched in Japan in 1996 and today is one of the most popular children’s entertainment properties in the world. For more information, visit www.pokemon.com.

<<Back

Piss poor effort on the UK Shop for the past few weeks, no VVVVVV, no Mudds, no Sakura, not even a fucking demo apart from Cooking Mama and Revelations.

Shame on you.

Don't get me started on how much I hate Club Nintendo for not offering the games for stars rewards that the US get.

As I understand it, Nicalis and Renegade Kid have had it easier getting games out in NA than they have in Europe -- I don't know if its getting things past PEGI, or the bureaucratic processes of submitting something from abroad to the NOE eshops but they just don't have the power to get it done as quickly as a large publisher can from what I gather... so I don't blame them. I don't really blame Nintendo either, but they could probably be doing more to help these guys get their stuff out there in a timely fashion. I really really wanna pick up VVVVVV...

I can't believe we haven't got the Olympics demo. We're the fucking host nation.

Sakura Samurai came out of nowhere for me. I would generally ignore a game with that title but then someone said Goemon. It looks great!

Nintendo chose to region lock their devices. Nintendo chooses to require ESRB/PEGI/BBFC/CERO/local ratings for digital content. Both of these things are choices. *shrugs*

....you're right.

I do blame Nintendo!

I'm not expecting them to change either policy either sadly. They should use common sense on PEGI ratings though. A game like VVVVVV, which has already been released on other platforms, is a known quantity. We know what the content is already... why require resubmission? Or why hold it back while they wait for rating?

I wish Nintendo had a competent feedback mechanism.

Shame on you.

I was sharing your feeling there until I remembered that we can exchange stars for Nintendo Points in the NOE Star Catalogue. That restricts us to Wii and DSi downloads only though :/.

@MUWANdo

Banned
I'm not expecting them to change either policy either sadly. They should use common sense on PEGI ratings though. A game like VVVVVV, which has already been released on other platforms, is a known quantity. We know what the content is already... why require resubmission? Or why hold it back while they wait for rating? .

It's not simply a matter of ratings, the games have to pass lotcheck too. Nicalis is notoriously bad at doing this, no matter the game or the region.

In Mutant Mudds' case, they hadn't even started the ball rolling on a PAL release until the NA release had received final certification, purely because they're a tiny business and they didn't have the time/money to focus on a simultaneous release.

Bullza2o

Only at Nintendo Zones?
How dumb.
I think it's dumb as well, but last time I checked Nintendo Zone at a mall it was so disappointing. There was nothing unique minus the trailers and a Pokemon Quiz game, but it was still lame.

I guess adding more features would make people want to use the Zone more.

Dumb of who? Surely not Nintendo. It will draw kids to said Nintendo Zones, making them money on whatever deals they have in place with Best Buy and other NZ outlets.

The only one i've seen (twice now) is in O'Hare. Free web browsing ftw. (except I could also do that with my phone)

DarkWish

So that's why Best Buy removed the demos from their 3DS demo unit recently, cause they're putting them on the Nintendo Zone. I wonder if you'll be able to download a demo and then put your 3DS in sleep mode and play the demo at home.

mclem

Only at Nintendo Zones?
How dumb.

Which reminds me: Southampton Airport appears to have one. At least, I noticed the Nintendo Zone application appearing in my 3DS when I was there over Christmas. That said, it doesn't seem to have gone away again, and I'm definitely no longer in the vicinity!

I was under the impression they weren't in Europe, but it seems that that's not the case.

Shame on you.

Yeah, it doesn't help that most of the games that have been available on the US reward system i'd gladly have taken. I'm sitting on tons of stars right now but there's nothing worth using them for really and while you can get points the exchange rate is brutal.
And my hopes were brought back up for a possible Megaman X release with the return of EU VC for SNES Prince of Persia only to have no follow ups at all.

In one hour and three minutes I'll be downloading Sakura Samurai.

The new Nintendo Video will be interesting too. I hear Matisyahu shaved his beard.

SmokyDave

Shame on you.

I rolled straight past hate and into complete apathy.

Didn't get my Kid Icarus code and I'm so apathetic, I can't even be arsed to chase it up.

depward

Lame. :(

I wish I could save content from Nintendo Video. I'd like to keep all of the episodes of Dinosaur Office and the AWOLNATION/Foster the People music videos.

Same. Last night they had a video about the Road to Hana. I was going to show it to my wife since that was the location of our honeymoon... but when I went to open the application, my system had downloaded another video and replaced that one :/

Also - Bear Force One was actually pretty funny!

Your avatar makes it look like you're pissed that I asked that. :p

The video looks kinda cool. I think its worth checking out at least.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
There's a 6 minute Heroes of Ruin video on the US eshop now.... but it's 2D. BOOOOO!!!

What a joke - EU got the trailer 2 weeks ago in 3D. And this week the US is getting demos while PAL gamers are still playing their Cooking Mama 4.
Nintendo really need to get their shit together concerning their online offerings, i already have to deal with the shitty region lock.

They should just release the games when they are ready and fill the eShop with content.

Random dungeons in Heroes of Ruin?

Haters be damned, this looks cool. On the fly difficulty augmentation in online multiplayer sounds like a neat addition.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Why no Game Boy titles, Nintendo? You have hundreds of titles to put out. Even if it's garbage, offer it. ;_;

Boogiepop

Why do we still not have Wario Land? I mean, it's getting pretty ridiculous now, considering how long Japan has had it.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Heroes of Ruin has haters?

Yes, it looks quite generic. Even though the features especially network wise are impressive. But it looks boring as hell, hope they put out another trailer to get me hyped again... its not like there are many great western developed 3DS retail titles.

btw. Where is Wario Land Virtual Boy ? Come on Nintendo - dont be stupid, you need the money.

Why do we still not have Wario Land? I mean, it's getting pretty ridiculous now, considering how long Japan has had it.
The west vs Japan backlog is growing by the week, it's Wii all over again.

Dr. Mario (GB) NA/EU
Kid Icarus: Of Myths and Monsters (GB) NA/EU
Kirby's Block Ball (GB) NA/EU
Maru's Mission (GB) NA/EU
Punch-Out!! featuring Mr. Dream (NES) NA/EU
Super Mario Bros. (NES) NA/EU
The Legend of Zelda (NES) NA/EU
The Sword of Hope (GB) NA/EU
Trip World (GB) NA
Wario Land: Super Mario Land 3 (GB) NA/EU

18-Volt

I just downloaded Sakura Samurai but it keeps freezing at the loading screen. I don't understand what's wrong. Did they just release a broken software on eShop?

Bought Sakura Samurai. I died on the second level, lol. You have to be pretty fast to dodge the enemies' charge attack. The 3D in the game is pretty weak and the depth slider doesn't seem to make much difference, it looks the same whether it's set to low or high.

Ugh, I was just about to buy this. Anybody?
No problems here.

btkadams

sorry if this is common knowledge, but i just got a 3ds and haven't been really paying attention until now. do we know when or if the ambassador games will ever be available for purchase by the public? if not, do people think we are eventually going to get them?

sorry if this is common knowledge, but i just got a 3ds and haven't been really paying attention until now. do we know when or if the ambassador games will ever be available for purchase by the public? if not, do people think we are eventually going to get them?

I think they'll find a way to offer the more popular ones. 3D Classics or SNES versions for example. They may even offer them as free pre-order bonuses or something... they only said that they wouldn't be for sale later on, not that they wouldn't be later offered at all.

I rolled straight past hate and into complete apathy.

Didn't get my Kid Icarus code and I'm so apathetic, I can't even be arsed to chase it up.

Did you input an email for them to send it to?
If you've registered both games before the 31st, you're still eligible, when you login at Club Nintendo you should see a Kid Icarus signup thing on the right if you haven't yet given them your email.

You're not missing an awful lot though... just a ruthlessly nails-hard NES game that is only nails-hard because of its dated mechanics, given some prettying up.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
I just got out of Best Buy, and I tried their Nintendo Zone out. I don't think it has been updated with the Pokemon features yet, so all it really had to offer was Super Mario 3D Land trivia, coupons, and videos of upcoming content. But what did catch my attention was the dirty, scratched up display unit they had on the floor. This thing allowed access to over 15 3DS demos!

Super Mario Land 3D
Mario Kart 7
Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D
Star Fox 3D
Sonic Generations
Cooking Mama
Pilot Wings
Steel Diver
Ace Combat
Mario and Sonic at the 2012 London Olympic Games
Lego Harry Potter
Happy Feet Two
(and some more that I can't quite remember the name too....)

So as I'm standing there, hunched over the display stand trying to find a comfortable way to play Ace Combat in 3D, I couldn't help but wonder why in the hell are most of these demos NOT on the 3DS EShop?!?!? Ace Combat went from "no where on my radar" to potential pick-up even after the horrible neck cramps I suffered from battling with that stupid display set-up Best Buy has! Could you imagine having these saved on your 3DS and being able to play them whenever, wherever you want?

I imagine it would help sale a bunch more of units for these games.

Edit: I'll be picking up Sakura Samurai tonight, afer my U.S. History exam *sigh* :/

Top Bottom