• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Downloads - February 2016

TheMoon

I keep looking over the 3DS Virtual Console offerings...I can't decide if there's any "must plays" on the list. Anyone have any favorites that are worth checking out?

whut?

Donkey Kong (GB, 1994)
Super Mario Land 1 + 2
Wario Land 1-3
Metroid II
LoZ: Link's Awakening DX
LoZ: Oracle of Ages
LoZ: Oracle of Seasons
Trip World
Mole Mania
Mega Man 5 (GB)
Kirby's Dreamland 1+2
Mysterious Murasame Castle (NES)

if you want to play Kirby's Adventure, get the 3D Classics version.

^ I own all of those except the GB Mega Man (have MM2 NES instead) and Mole Mania.
I was tempted by Mole Mania but it seems like the type of game I would get bored of very quickly.
I have a habit of not finishing puzzle games :(

Dee Dee

Played the Stella Glow demo. Seemed pretty solid mechanically, sadly it stopped right when it gets interesting
and Lisette turns into a witch.

Character designs are alright, aside from Hilda
R5esISx.png
what's the deal with that. Music is cool.

Will most likely buy it as I'm in the mood for a smaller scale SRPG like FFT.

I played it, and the dialogue and the horribleness of the characters was killing me... there wasn't much variety in the units yet, and I am somewhat afraid that there will only be the handful of units they showed off in the trailer at the end of the demo.

By the way, can you "mess up" the tuning sequence? I felt it just kept giving me questions to answer until I eventually ended up saying enough nice things to Lisette.

But EU has no Fire Emblem release date yet, so maybe I'll bite...

... unfortunately it reminds me of the mega-turd Conception 2 at times (2D graphics, shitty dialogues and the whole "tune the girl" stuff).

The next Atlus sale will come soon enough!

also

Banned
whut?

Donkey Kong (GB, 1994)
Super Mario Land 1 + 2
Wario Land 1-3
Metroid II
LoZ: Link's Awakening DX
LoZ: Oracle of Ages
LoZ: Oracle of Seasons
Trip World
Mole Mania
Mega Man 5 (GB)
Kirby's Dreamland 1+2
Mysterious Murasame Castle (NES)

if you want to play Kirby's Adventure, get the 3D Classics version.

Some good suggestions but some of the games you listed don't feel worthy of being called must haves.

I personally didn't like DK that much but it does have a lot of content and variety. Don't know why it didn't click with me because I really liked the GBA sequel.
SML 1 is really short and basic. Sure the music is catchy and the different locales are really fresh but it's over in a flash. SML 2 has a world map, secrets and retains the weirdness but it's really easy (last level not included).
WL 2 is way better than either WL1 and 3 and I wouldn't say those 2 are a must have, unless you really like the series.
Metroid II is repetitive, really zoomed in and linear.
The Zelda games are great
Trip World- haven't played it yet.
Mole Mania is a nice puzzle game with some funny cutscenes.
MM 5 (GB) -haven't played yet.
Dreamland Land 1 is so easy, basic and short that it hurts. Hard mode doesn't add much either; I was done with the game in less than 2 hours. DL2 is a much, much better game
MM Castle -haven't played this one yet

I would add for Game Boy:
Bionic Commando is really satisfying once you master the swinging mechanic.
Donkey Kong Land 2&3 are nice platformers with lots of levels and secrets. Stay away from the first one.
Gargoyle's Quest It's short (~5 hours) but it's a nice mix of platforming, action and has some light RPG elements. The broken English translation (not a problem) is also funny.

On Game Gear I liked Vampire the Masqurade (Castlavania for babies but only lasts a bit over 2 hours) and Shinobi (hard and the last level is a gigantic maze).

If we're including NES
-Ninja Gaiden 1 >3 >2 An unforgiving action game series with great music and tight controls.
Castlevania 1 & 3: 3 is my favorite but it's also way harder so it might be better to start with 1. An ''action'' platformer that demands precision and patience, lots of patience.
MM 1-4; Liked all of them so far with 4 being my favorite. 1 is unpolished, 2 has a really, really stupid boss fight and 3 has way too much slow down.

RiggyRob

Part 4 of our Wind Waker HD Let's Play: https://youtu.be/4432-NW2GhM

I really hope they do away with the forced stealth section in Zelda U - it's alright in this playthrough since I know what I'm doing, but if you don't it can be incredibly tedious, I've never liked them.

I think it's cheap that you're dragged right back to the beginning when you've been caught, but maybe that's because I hate stealth games in general (although I have been meaning to buy Stealth Bastard at some point since it looks hilarious).

Pokemaniac

yes, ages ago.

You sure about that? The most recent news I can find on that was from this past September saying that the Wii U port was taking a while due to issues with the studio they partnered with to port it, but that they had resolved that situation and said it should release sometime late last year/early this year.

TheMoon

You sure about that? The most recent news I can find on that was from this past September saying that the Wii U port was taking a while due to issues with the studio they partnered with to port it, but that they had resolved that situation and said it should release sometime late last year/early this year.

oh jesus fuck, that stupid name.

I mixed that up with Cosmochoria. In my head, Chromophore is still just called Two Brothers.

Yes, that game is coming soon lol. AckkStudios have been hoping to put out news soon once their former team member stops throwing monkey wrenches into things.

Glass Rebel

... unfortunately it reminds me of the mega-turd Conception 2 at times (2D graphics, shitty dialogues and the whole "tune the girl" stuff).

Reviews make the gameplay sound solid to good at least but yeah, the rest of the game makes me raise an eyebrow.

jholmes

I keep looking over the 3DS Virtual Console offerings...I can't decide if there's any "must plays" on the list. Anyone have any favorites that are worth checking out?

Donkey Kong '94, Mighty Final Fight, Recca, Super Mario Land 2 and Link's Awakening are all excellent and are all only available on the 3DS Virtual Console. That's just off the top of my head.

Mega Man V is also the Mega Man game to get of the Game Boy ones but I wouldn't bother with it unless you've played a ton of Mega Man. Lots of other games to get first.

I also played the Stella Glow demo, and while I didn't have an issue with the themes, it all seemed ultra generic, which was disappointing.

I'd say I'll wait for a sale but it's a NISA release so that will never happen. Did somebody play the NA release? What's your opinion?

Robin64

"Hope you like a free LEGO Marvel Avengers Demo, because that is the only thing coming to the Wii U in Europe this week." says NintenDaan.

Hmm.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Official PR

Nintendo eShop (Wii U)

LEGO Marvel Avengers Demo (WB Games) - Free
Avengers Assemble! The best-selling LEGO Marvel videogame franchise returns with a new action-packed, Super Hero adventure. Join the LEGO Marvel’s Avengers team and experience the first console videogame featuring characters and storylines from the critically-acclaimed film Marvel’s The Avengers, the blockbuster sequel Marvel’s Avengers: Age of Ultron, and more. Play as the most powerful Super Heroes in their quest to save the world.

Special offers
Bombing Bastards (Sanuk Games) - €4.99/ £4.49 (Ends February 25, normally €6.99/£5.99)
Spot The Differences: Party! (Sanuk Games) - €2.99/£2.69 (Ends February 25, normally €5.00/£4.49)
Wicked Monsters Blast! HD PLUS (CORECELL) - €2.99/£2.69 (Ends March 3, normally €7.99/£7.19)

Nintendo eShop (3DS)

Pokemon Super Mystery Dungeon (Nintendo, available February 19) - €39.99/£34.99
Prepare yourself for a grand adventure with Pokémon Super Mystery Dungeon for Nintendo 3DS family systems. Experience a world like no other, where Pokémon speak, and go on incredible adventures! Choose from 20 Pokémon that you can become before heading out on a journey to encounter all currently known Pokémon, including Legendary and Mythical Pokémon. With the help of your trusty Pokémon partner, find the cause of terrifying incidents that include Pokémon being turned into stone and put a stop to it!

Bonus for purchasing on Nintendo eShop until 14/04/2016: Download Code for the theme "Pokémon Super Mystery Dungeon Bonus Theme" included with every purchase of Pokémon Super Mystery Dungeon from Nintendo eShop . The download code is valid until 14/04/2016.

Return to PopoloCrois: A STORY OF SEASONS Fairytale (Marvelous) - €34.99/£29.99
In Return to PopoloCrois: A STORY OF SEASONS Fairytale, players take control of Prince Pietro, a young hero on a perilous and epic quest to return home. Along the way he must meet a host of colourful characters, discover a world of strange creatures and ultimately save the land from a mysterious darkness that’s threatening the very future of his entire kingdom.

Etrian Odyssey 2 Untold: The Fafnir Knight: Ultimate Feathered Warrior (NIS America, Add-on content available February 19) - €2.49/£2.29 (Free until February 25)
Etrian Odyssey 2 Untold: The Fafnir Knight: Winter's Harbinger (NIS America, Add-on content available February 19) - €2.49/£2.29 (Free until February 25)
Etrian Odyssey 2 Untold: The Fafnir Knight: Wanted: Lucky Bud (NIS America, Add-on content available February 19) - €1.99/£1.79
Experience a brand new story with a fixed party, voiced dialogue, and animated cutscenes in the new and incredible world of Etrian Odyssey 2 Untold: The Fafnir Knight. Or, revisit the original Etrian Odyssey 2 with updated graphics and a full roster of classes. Whichever path you choose, there will be exciting dungeons and frightening enemies!

Dreamcast (SEGA, theme available February 19) - €1.79/£1.59
Still thinking? Now you can make those dreams a reality!

Hi-Tech Sega (SEGA, theme available February 19) - €1.79/£1.59
Transport yourself to a Japanese Arcade in the late '80s. Insert coin now. 1 play for only 100YEN!

Saga Saturn (SEGA, theme available February 19) - €1.79/£1.59
It’s alive! The SEGA Saturn is back and better than ever, and this time in theme form!

Pokemon: Champion Steven (Nintendo, theme available February 19) - €1.99/£1.79
A theme featuring Champion Steven and his team of Pokémon. Scroll the Touch Screen to explore a unique comic-style illustration.

Special offers
AeternoBlade (CORECELL) - €7.99/£7.19 (Ends March 3, normally €14.99/£13.50)
Aqua Moto Racing 3D (Zordix AB) - €3.99/£3.59 (Ends February 25, normally €7.99/£7.19)
Demon King Box (CIRCLE Ent.) - €2.99/£2.39 (Ends March 3, normally €3.99/£3.19)
Talking Phrasebook – 7 Languages (Sanuk Games) - €2.99/£2.39 (Ends February 25, normally €4.99/£4.49)
WAKEDAS (CIRCLE Ent.) - €1.99/£1.69 (Ends March 3, normally €2.99/£2.49)

Robin64

So removing retail releases, because those don't really count, there is definitely a general lack of stuff. I wonder if something special could come out of Nowhere on Thursday?

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Yeeesss, Dreamcast theme. I recall that's the last one that needs to be released here in the US.

Still holding for a giant bundle or at least 2 bundles of the system themes. Hell, Nintendo should take a page from Sega & make system themes on consoles like Game Boy.

Pokemaniac

That is definitely suspiciously empty. Though, given that it's just Europe at this point, it could go either way. Do we know Japan's releases for the week yet?

tolkir

Someone said Nintendo Direct? ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Seriously, maybe they pushes Miitomo this week with the pre-registration.

Robin64

If it was a surprise Mother 3, Japan wouldn't be included as they already have it. But who knows! It might be empty simply because it's empty. Big/important week next week, after all.

But it could also be that they need it empty to get account stuff rolling out with minimal impact.

GRW810

Seriously why do Nintendo never put Harmoknight on sale? In fact, why is it barely even mentioned by them? It's as if it has been completely lost in the abyss.

It can't still be selling well after all this time, so a discount on that relatively hefty price tag would make good business sense.

RiggyRob

Seriously why do Nintendo never put Harmoknight on sale? In fact, why is it barely even mentioned by them? It's as if it has been completely lost in the abyss.

It can't still be selling well after all this time, so a discount on that relatively hefty price tag would make good business sense.

Probably has something to do with GameFreak, they're technically independent of Nintendo and they control when sales are on.

Pre-registration for Miitomo is this week? Sweet.

TheMoon

They don't put any of their digital titles on sale ever. Fluidity/Hydroventure Spin Cycle, Sakura/Hana Samurai, Blox/Mo-series...

Robin64

The whole Nindies thing has made me sad I didn't get anything up. (Basically I lost all my data in a stupid tech blunder and did not feel like starting over again. But! This weekend I realised I missed the tinkering and so have, indeed, started over.)

foltzie1

They don't put any of their digital titles on sale ever. Fluidity/Hydroventure Spin Cycle, Sakura/Hana Samurai, Blox/Mo-series...

Nintendo has occasionally put Blox/Mo on sale, but HarmoKnight is Game Freak, so there may be an extra hurdle on that title.

Chrom

That is definitely suspiciously empty. Though, given that it's just Europe at this point, it could go either way. Do we know Japan's releases for the week yet?

As far as I know...

Wii U: Shining Soul, Yoshi's Story, Bird Mania Party
3DS: Witch & Hero II

NateDrake

Do we know the digital sales of titles like Mario Maker in the US? Minecraft passed the game on the eShop charts and I was curious if we could estimate what type of sales the game has had thus far.

Pokemaniac

Do we know the digital sales of titles like Mario Maker in the US? Minecraft passed the game on the eShop charts and I was curious if we could estimate what type of sales the game has had thus far.

I think you're looking at the wrong chart. If you switch it to all time, Minecraft is still at #10, and Mario Maker is #6.

Top Bottom