• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Downloads - January 2010

panda21 said:
anyone know the europe releases for this week? i can never find it on the nintendo site

Nothing's been mentioned so far. Sometimes Nintendo adds this week's release dates to a couple of games previously listed on the site as 'TBD' but not yet. Might be worth checking tomorrow. No news on DSiWare yet, either.

I'd imagine Phoenix Wright is a shoo-in for Europe this week, mind.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
I got my hands on a copy of the Mad Dog McCree collection recently, and I was disappointed by the clunky way it handled reloading, which made the fast draw challenges essentially pointless.

The $5 Fast Draw Showdown, by the same publisher and development team, manages to fix nearly everything wrong. I'm amazed.

Fast Draw Showdown is a stupid, but amusing, 500 point purchase. While the video compression makes the image a tad more blocky than the disk release of Mad Dog, the gameplay is far better. The game allows you to disable the onscreen reticule (although it doesn't offer an alignment option), the faint "trails" present when moving the reticule actually make it a bit easier to track, and the game properly using motion detection during all the fast draw challenges.

Yes, you have to keep your Wii Remote aimed DOWNWARD until prompted to shoot... and this works.

I've been playing it with my Nerf gun shell, and I feel like I'm actually getting the arcade experience -- unlike Mad Dog, which felt "off."

If you buy it, make sure to play on Normal -- don't try Easy mode. For some reason, the high scores (best times on each opponent) carry over between all difficulty settings, and the only real difference between Easy and Normal is that Easy mode flashes a bit SHOOT NOW logo on the screen.

It's too bad Digital Leisure didn't use the FDS program with the Mad Dog footage.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Someone needs to fire Cosmonaut X.

Edit - Stonekeep?! That sounds familiar. I think I have that... an old PC game? First person RPG, or some such?

Just a little curious question. Why does the Nintendo Downloads thread happen monthly, yet every week there is a new thread dedicated to each PSN and XBLA update, pretty much? Not that I mind, but I'm curious.

Oh, and Chronos Twin DX got an 8.0 on IGN. I was interested when it was first introduced for GBA, and now I'm glad it finally found a way out.

Been thinking of getting the Magic Obelisk and Flowerworks at some point.

TheUnknownForce said:
Just a little curious question. Why does the Nintendo Downloads thread happen monthly, yet every week there is a new thread dedicated to each PSN and XBLA update, pretty much? Not that I mind, but I'm curious.
Yeah, a weekly thread would be easier for the OP to do, too; all it would require would be to copy and paste that week's press release.

Somnid

cooljeanius said:
Yeah, a weekly thread would be easier for the OP to do, too; all it would require would be to copy and paste that week's press release.

A monthly was the compromise when moving from the old mega-thread because weekly created too much stuff to find. You could easily lose track of the latest thread and the random news that gets posted here would be spread all over the place and be hard to find. The monthly format was more bookmark friendly and friendlier for small updates like OFLC and ESRB ratings among other things.

donny2112

Mejilan said:

This could be his last month. :(

In preparation for that here's a stab at using a formatter to do the first post for next month's thread with an updated OP for this week's thread.

digidownloads_april2-2.jpg

This is the monthly thread for all download services on Wii and DSi. Releases in all three main territories are listed in the OP, as are new game announcements and other news pertaining to the services. Contributions/corrections are welcome.

------------------------------------------------

us2.jpg

VIRTUAL CONSOLE
  • Shanghai II: Dragon's Eye (GEN | 800pts ) (11 January 2010)
  • Final Fight 3 (SNES | 800pts ) (04 January 2010)
  • PilotWings (SNES | 800pts ) (28 December 2009)
WIIWARE
  • Chronos Twins DX (EnjoyUp Games | 1000pts ) (11 January 2010)
  • Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (Capcom | 1000pts ) (11 January 2010)
  • ShadowPlay (Deep Fried Ent. | 800pts ) (11 January 2010)
  • Fast Draw Showdown (Digital Leisure Inc. | 500pts ) (04 January 2010)
  • Heron: Steam Machine (Triangle Studios | 500pts ) (04 January 2010)
  • Pub Darts (Big Blue Bubble Inc. | 500pts ) (04 January 2010)
  • Castlevania: The Adventure Rebirth (Konami | 1000pts ) (28 December 2009)
  • Eat! Fat! FIGHT! (Tecmo | 1000pts ) (28 December 2009)
  • Rabbids Lab (Ubisoft | 500pts ) (28 December 2009)
  • The Magic Obelisk (Game Arts | 500pts ) (28 December 2009)
DSIWARE
  • Word Searcher (Digital Leisure Inc. | 500pts ) (11 January 2010)
  • Jazzy Billiards (Aksys Games | 500pts ) (11 January 2010)
  • Touch Solitaire (Nintendo | 200pts ) (11 January 2010)
  • Hell's Kitchen Vs. (Ludia | 800pts ) (04 January 2010)
  • Animal Puzzle Adventure (Aksys Games | 500pts ) (04 January 2010)
  • Trajectile (Nintendo | 500pts ) (04 January 2010)
  • The Oregon Trail (Gameloft | 800pts ) (28 December 2009)
  • Sudoku Sensei (Hudson | 500pts ) (28 December 2009)
  • Master of Illusion Express: Psychic Camera (Nintendo | 200pts ) (28 December 2009)
  • Arcade Hoops Basketball (Skyworks Interactive | 200pts ) (28 December 2009)
The US Virtual Console, WiiWare and DSiWare catalogues are updated every Monday at 9am Pacific Time.

europe2.jpg

VIRTUAL CONSOLE
WIIWARE
  • Stop Stress: A day of fury (Abylight | 800pts ) (08 January 2010)
  • Stunt Cars (Icon Games | 800pts ) (08 January 2010)
  • Tomena Sanner (Konami | 500pts ) (01 January 2010)
  • Happy Hammerin' (Gamebridge | 500pts ) (01 January 2010)
  • TV Show King 2 (Gameloft | 800pts ) (25 December 2009)
  • The Mystery of Whiterock Castle (RTL Playtainment | 700pts ) (25 December 2009)
DSIWARE
  • Art Academy: Second Semester (Nintendo | 800pts ) (08 January 2010)
  • Move your Brain - Rollway Puzzle (Assoria | 500pts ) (08 January 2010)
  • Sokomania (Cinemax | 200pts ) (08 January 2010)
  • Miami Nights: Life in the Spotlight (Gameloft | 800pts ) (01 January 2010)
  • Dragon's Lair (Digital Leisure Inc. | 800pts ) (01 January 2010)
  • High Stakes Texas Hold'em (Hudson | 500pts ) (01 January 2010)
  • Rayman (Ubisoft | 800pts ) (25 December 2009)
  • Me & My Dogs: Friends Forever (Gameloft | 800pts ) (25 December 2009)
  • Art Academy: First Semester (Nintendo | 800pts ) (25 December 2009)
  • Sparkle Snapshots (Nintendo | 500pts ) (25 December 2009)
  • A Little Bit of... Magic Made Fun: Mind Probe (Nintendo | 200pts ) (25 December 2009)
The European and Australasian Virtual Console, WiiWare and DSiWare catalogues are updated every Friday, although new titles are frequently available from around 11pm-12am GMT on Thursday.

japan2.jpg

VIRTUAL CONSOLE
  • Parodius (MSX | 800pts ) (13 January 2010)
  • Salamander (MSX | 800pts ) (13 January 2010)
  • Kirby no Kirakira Kizzu (SNES | 800pts ) (06 January 2010)
  • Gradius 2 (MSX | 800pts ) (24 December 2009)
  • Majoo Densetsu (MSX | 800pts ) (24 December 2009)
  • Famicom Tantei Club Part II (NES | 500pts ) (24 December 2009)
WIIWARE
  • Boku wa Plarail Untenshi (Takara Tomy | 1000pts ) (06 January 2010)
  • Lit (Square-Enix | 1000pts ) (24 December 2009)
  • Lost Winds: Winter of the Melodias (Square-Enix | 1000pts ) (24 December 2009)
  • Phalanx (Zoom | 500pts ) (24 December 2009)
  • Othello (Arc System Works | 500pts ) (24 December 2009)
  • Simple DS Series Volume 2: The Misshitsu Kara no Dasshutsu Gakkoo Hen (D3 Publisher | 500pts ) (24 December 2009)
DSIWARE
  • Genius Panel Japanese->English Rakubiki Jiten (Nintendo | 800pts ) (13 January 2010)
  • Genius Panel English->Japanese Rakubiki Jiten (Nintendo | 800pts ) (13 January 2010)
  • Pinball Attack (ArtePiazza | 500pts ) (13 January 2010)
  • Artist ni Narou! Minna no Nurie Joukyuu Hen (Ertain | 500pts ) (13 January 2010)
  • at Chess: Challenge Spirits (Tasuke | 200pts ) (13 January 2010)
  • GG series: D-Tank (Generprise | 200pts ) (13 January 2010)
  • Artist ni Narou! Minna no Nurikai Neko Hen (Ertain | 500pts ) (06 January 2010)
  • G.G. Series: Dark Spirits (Genterprise | 200pts ) (06 January 2010)
  • Pocket Rurubu: Nagoya (Nintendo | 800pts ) (24 December 2009)
  • Pocket Rurubu: Kobe (Nintendo | 800pts ) (24 December 2009)
  • Katamuku + Action: Katamuction (Hi Games and Publishing | 500pts ) (24 December 2009)
The Japanese Virtual Console, WiiWare and DSiWare catalogues are updated every Wednesday.

Past Nintendo Download threads

(Thanks to Cosmonaut X, Cheesemeister, Shard, Somnid, JodyAnthony, Capndrake, inthegray, mrklaw, sfog, jesusraz, Rlan, Netto-Kun and CaptainN)

donny2112

Somnid said:
A monthly was the compromise when moving from the old mega-thread because weekly created too much stuff to find.

Exactly. Thanks for pointing that out for anyone who doesn't remember to two attempts at mega-threads that ended up being hard to find the latest information in or falling out of being updated due to the OP getting banned.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
iamaustrian said:
Ok, someone from germany or austria please help me(I'm going nuts):
could someone please log onto Dsiware shop and check if they can find "Foto Face: The Face Stealer Strikes" (800 points).

It should be out in EU since 4th dec 2009 but I can't find it on the shop.
I know people saw it on UK Dsiware shop but it seems to be gone from the german/austrian/whatever shop.
thank you

Not the first time this kinda shit happens.
In Italy there's no trace of the Rebirth games on Wiiware for example.
I had to log into the Swiss shop to buy them. Of course that's undoable on this case "thanks" to the freakin' DSI's region lock.

Wow, Stonekeep..... man that takes me back! :O Back in my good ol' PC days, when I actually liked playing games on it!

Will follow this with great interest.

Interplay Entertainment Corp. and Alpine Studios today announce their partnership to revive Stonekeep, the hit PC game originally published by Interplay.

"We are very happy that Alpine Studios shares our enthusiasm to develop a new title based on this classic Interplay adventure game. With Stonekeep we continue our strategy to introduce our legendary portfolio to a new generation of players", said Hervé Caen, CEO of Interplay. "The new game play will provide fun, a little fear and many exciting moments to all family members who dare to seek their fortunes and rid Stonekeep´s dungeons and corridors of evil using the Wii Remote™ controller," said Les Pardew, the founder of Alpine Studios.

The new Stonekeep is expected for initial release during the third quarter of 2010 and is planned for electronic distribution through Nintendo's WiiWare™ service.

So they call it reviving the game (as opposed to reviving the franchise or IP) and call it a "new Stonekeep" instead of a sequel, which makes me think it's a port. It would probably have to be cut down a lot, too, since the original is over 600MB. Granted, a lot of that is FMV, which is a really creepy mix of live action and CGI, and the game would probably be better off without it. Still, I wish the press release was more clear.

Provider

OK, It took me a wile to convince myself to get Glow Artisan, It's awesome. At first you think: this is not a puzzle, it's just some... color mixing activity but quickly the game is making you think the right order to draw lines to get the patern right. There are gold/silver/copper medals and sometimes getting the gold one is really hard. I would have liked a "Retry" option after finishing a puzzle (in case you wanna re-play it to get a better medal) but I guess going to the puzzle gallery works better for this purpose.

Oh yeah! GO AND DOWNLOAD IT NOW!.

NOE is showing the following for Friday:

DSiWare:
SUDOKU SENSEI 500 points.
WiiWare:
Phoenix Wright™: Ace Attorney 1000 points. This is odd. The original DS release had a PEGI rating of 7+ and no content indicators on the back. This release has a PEGI rating of 12+ and the Strong language indicator (guess everyone has cold feet after the Rabbids Go Home incident*)

Amazing. It was only a week ago that a Sudoku game came out on DSiWare...
Just like last week that probably isn't all that'll be out and we'll see more in the update.

Before I go, there is another dated WiiWare release.
Max & the Magic Marker 1000 points. 22nd Jan

*-Rabbids go home was rated 7+ but some of the language offended (something about rear penetration) which nearly resulted in a recall of the game...instead retailers were given new sleeves or something and all future printings were 12+ and strong language...

McNum

Ooh, Phoenix Wright Friday for Europe? Don't mind if I do. I missed out on the DS versions, so this is a nice way of getting to play them. I was saving these points for Cave Story, but I doubt that's coming out anytime soon.

mclem

Mejilan said:

Edit - Stonekeep?! That sounds familiar. I think I have that... an old PC game? First person RPG, or some such?

http://www.gog.com/en/gamecard/stonekeep. I bought the original in the Christmas sale, actually.

A truly bizarre announcement - was the world *really* crying out for another Stonekeep? - yet rather interesting. It says 'based on', and avoids using the term "RPG" anywhere in the press release, which suggests it'll be something of a departure from the original... making the decision even weirder.

Starwolf_UK said:
NOE is showing the following for Friday:

DSiWare:
SUDOKU SENSEI 500 points.
WiiWare:
Phoenix Wright™: Ace Attorney 1000 points. This is odd. The original DS release had a PEGI rating of 7+ and no content indicators on the back. This release has a PEGI rating of 12+ and the Strong language indicator (guess everyone has cold feet after the Rabbids Go Home incident*)

Amazing. It was only a week ago that a Sudoku game came out on DSiWare...
Just like last week that probably isn't all that'll be out and we'll see more in the update.

Before I go, there is another dated WiiWare release.
Max & the Magic Marker 1000 points. 22nd Jan

*-Rabbids go home was rated 7+ but some of the language offended (something about rear penetration) which nearly resulted in a recall of the game...instead retailers were given new sleeves or something and all future printings were 12+ and strong language...
Hopefully that is not all. Good news on the magic marker game though - looked highly interesting.

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
I have to write two articles about the weekly downloads for two sites, it's getting damn near impossible to write anything about the utter crap that's coming out. Especially when we've never heard or seen of the game before.

Goddamit Nintendo,

bon

Man God said:
Either that or OB 64.

Or something disappointing.
Nintendo Week doesn't cover every VC release, so it has to be something at least semi-big. OB64 might be a good guess.

Alright I gave Final Fight 3 another shot. Got through the game on Normal without continuing on my second play.

I guess it helps that this time I used Haggar cause his spinning piledriver and QCF special are awesome. I can even do some basic combos like jab twice into special. That's about it though really but eh it's nice.

Last time I used Lucia and well she sucks bad. I think she was a joke character created to parody Blaze from Streets of Rage. Let's go down the list shall we?

-Both Ladies are undercover cops and they wear similar outfits though Lucia wears blue shorts and top compared to Blaze's red skirt and top(similar physiques as well but that's pretty obvious).
-Lucia has short blonde hair compared to Blaze's long brown hair.
-Lucia's elemental affinity is fire. Blaze doesn't exactly have an elemental affinity but oh look at her name.
-Both ladies are effective with their kicks and have most of their moves tied to them.

Course Lucia just plain sucks. Both of her special moves leave her wide open to attack and aren't good for much of anything. Okay her rising kick attack is good for combos but buffering her dash string in from a couple jabs is just as effective and several times safer. The rising kick might have made a good anti-air but the only enemies with air maneuvers tend to be invincible while performing them. Her other special is just plain shit. Her super also tends to be more useless than not. Compare that to say Haggar's and it's not even a contest. Haggar's super does great damage and can knock down everyone on-screen. Lucia's might do great damage to one or two people but that's only if they're in range. In fact I think she can be hit out of it and/or after it's performed.

Also hit config actually turns off the ability to hurt your partner whether it's a friend or the AI. I wish I knew that sooner...oh well.

Kind of disappointed in this multiple path stuff so far. It'd probably be more interesting if there was some semblance of stage design to give the game variety but so far the one alternate path I found just leads to a different boss(doesn't help that aside from the second to last and final boss every one of these guys are pathetic.) There are also rooms that can be found by smashing doors with thrown bad guys. It doesn't make sense how it works(you don't throw the bad guys at the door the door just breaks if you're close enough to one while tossing some guy). These tend to lead to 1ups or health-restoring BBQs which are always nice. Other than that though not a whole lot going on.

Kind of pointless at this hour (it is less than 6 hours before the update goes live) but to add to the DSiWare releases in Europe:
Electroplankton™ Hanenbow
Electroplankton™ Beatnes

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
has anybody been able to obtain the medal on trajectile's silver 7? this level is driving me bonkers.

Provider

blu said:
has anybody been able to obtain the medal on trajectile's silver 7? this level is driving me bonkers.

I got it, and i think it was easy cuz I don't remember havin any trouble getting it. (I guess that doesn't help you... You should go for the X2 first and use it with the driller.)

Starwolf_UK said:
Kind of pointless at this hour (it is less than 6 hours before the update goes live) but to add to the DSiWare releases in Europe:
Electroplankton™ Hanenbow
Electroplankton™ Beatnes
Oh nice! I have to check what minigames those 2 were. 200points, right?

@blu:
I've made it, even with medal (like all bronze and silver levels) but I have to figure out again how I did it :D
Just something I found useful while retrying.
first green rocket to the right, so you reflect to get the upper right point block of the 5 and the upper right block in the bottom right(this one slightly!). This way you get the 2x as well. (around 40°)

Capndrake

NoE sure likes to make it hard to stay positive about them:

WiiWare:
-Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (Capcom, 1000 points)

DSiWare:
-Electroplankton Beatnes (Nintendo, 200 points)
-Electroplankton Hanenbow (Nintendo, 200 points)
-Sudoku Sensei (Hudson Soft, 500 points)

Somnid

Capndrake said:
NoE sure likes to make it hard to stay positive about them:

WiiWare:
-Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (Capcom, 1000 points)

DSiWare:
-Electroplankton Beatnes (Nintendo, 200 points)
-Electroplankton Hanenbow (Nintendo, 200 points)
-Sudoku Sensei (Hudson Soft, 500 points)

Oh god, with this and Japan's barren VC lineup I think we might have a few of those no VC release weeks in North America soon too.

01%20Night%20Game.png

Quick question, is there a release date/window set on Nifflas' NightSky game (Knytt creator, previously listed as Night Game)?

Probably one of my most looked forward to WiiWare titles. Oh that and if NoE ever release Castlevania, ha ha ha ha?

Jazzem

Somnid said:
Oh god, with this and Japan's barren VC lineup I think we might have a few of those no VC release weeks in North America soon too.

Poor you :p At least you can play ExciteBike World Rally and Castlevania Rebirth in the meantime!...;_;

Tormena Samner does soften the blow somewhat though :D

On another note; any fellow DSiWarers made progress on Starship Patrol? It's been a slow mover for me, being one I pick up now and then, but I really like it. Still got a good 22 or so levels to go as well!

Somnid

Japan's releases for week of 1/17/2010:

VC:
Princess Tomato in Salad Kingdom (Hudoson, 500pts)

DSiWare:
Atama wo yokusuru Anzan DS: Sou no Hana Fuusen (Shigakusha, 200pts)
Nantoku 500 Kanji Word Puzzle (IEE Institute, 200pts)
Renjuku Kanji Kougaku Ni-nensei (IEE Institute, 500pts)
Nari Character: Naruto Shippuden (Takara Tomi, 500pts)
Reflect Missle (Nintendo, 500pts)

Europe isn't alone.

Somnid said:
Japan's releases for week of 1/17/2010:

VC:
Princess Tomato in Salad Kingdom (Hudoson, 500pts)

DSiWare:
Atama wo yokusuru Anzan DS: Sou no Hana Fuusen (Shigakusha, 200pts)
Nantoku 500 Kanji Word Puzzle (IEE Institute, 200pts)
Renjuku Kanji Kougaku Ni-nensei (IEE Institute, 500pts)
Nari Character: Naruto Shippuden (Takara Tomi, 500pts)
Reflect Missle (Nintendo, 500pts)

Europe isn't alone.

well, at least they get a really awesome VC game

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
iamaustrian said:
well, at least they get a really awesome VC game
and a fuck-awesome dsiware game.

(silver 7 medal was tough, thanks for the help, Provider & Caesar III)

Yes Muscle March this Monday! :D

Via Go Nintendo:

NAMCO BANDAI Games America Inc. today released new assets for MUSCLE MARCH™, available this Monday, January 18, 2010 on WiiWare™ for 500 Wii Points. Nefarious thieves have stolen valuable protein powder and it’s up to a troupe of body builders from around the globe to recover it. Move with the Wii Remote and Nunchuk to mimic body builder poses left by various thieves as they break through walls, trying to make their grand escape. The new video and screen shots highlight the frantic action and off-the-wall visuals found in MUSCLE MARCH’S Endless Rush mode.

MUSCLE MARCH features two gameplay modes for body types of all shapes and sizes. Muscle March mode takes players through the game’s story mode. Race through city streets as your glutes glisten in the sun, bust through an old village as you flex your pecs, or marvel at technological advancements in a space station as you shred your delts. Players can also test their endurance muscle with Endless Rush mode. Tackle an endless set of obstacles at an ever increasing speed alone or against three friends. Show off your precision body builder skills across both modes to become a god of muscle.

Top Bottom