• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Downloads - July 2012

LayLa

I'd really like to see Nintendo release their old arcade games too.

Agreed. Their failure to capitalize on the success of King Of Kong in 2007/8 by not releasing the arcade version of Donkey Kong still confounds me. And how hard would it have been to set up an online leaderboard & get Mitchell & Wiebe to set scores?

Now that 3DS games are going to be available for download what chances are there that DS games could follow in the future? Is it technically feasible?

Yes. Aesthetic and nostalgia matter. :[

Yoshi trumps Pokemon? I hear ya. The upside of the pokemon version to me was that it added a collection aspect to the game that sort of extended its life. They completely watered down the DS game and it was much worse than all the prior titles. Making it palatable to the masses is not the best way to deliver Panel-De-Pon.

Now that 3DS games are going to be available for download what chances are there that DS games could follow in the future? Is it technically feasible?

Should be entirely possible, but this is Nintendo and they'd more than likely charge about 5-10 times more than you could get the same game used. Would be nice to have the option. Especially for out-of-print games.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Anyone have info regarding this? Is it a one-off or a beginning of a series? I'm wondering whether they'll just include this eShop release in the next Tamagotchi retail game or if it's something more exclusive.

It's actually part of the Tamagotchi game that came out two months ago, if I'm not mistaken.

Drago

Did you even read the article at the link?
Yeah... they wanted to make fixes but NCL didnt want to bother. NoA wanted a release and had everything ready but it never happened. The article mentioned easy fixes aside from Sky Runner, they wanted a new song that NCL didnt want to make.

At least thats what I read... :/

RobotHaus

Unconfirmed Member
I have a feeling the Earthbound stuff is a bit more complicated than it is made out to be. But who knows, I don't think anyone on GAF works for them. And maybe they're just waiting to bring it for the Wii U launch or something. Either way, I'm glad I have the cartridge.

As for Picross-e. I am a bit upset, I love me some picross and I don't know why they aren't bringing it over. But it could be the same case, lots of stuff to deal with and this just isn't a high priority. Which is a shame, because those games are tons of fun. And maybe they could make a Picross 3D with actual 3D. Oh imagine how much fun that would be.

Eusis

There might also be the desire to protect it as art though, though changes WERE made before.

If it is an issue of being too complicated though (and given the text issue it wouldn't surprise me), I wonder if a full blown new port, like a 3D Classics, could make it simpler and solve the problems? Would be nice if it actually allowed the game to finally be re-released.

There might also be the desire to protect it as art though, though changes WERE made before.

If it is an issue of being too complicated though (and given the text issue it wouldn't surprise me), I wonder if a full blown new port, like a 3D Classics, could make it simpler and solve the problems? Would be nice if it actually allowed the game to finally be re-released.
Except that wouldn't be simple, because it wouldn't really be a port at that point--a 3D version of a SNES game pretty much entails remaking all the assets from scratch in order to properly separate them into the necessary layers, which naturally would be quite a bit of work and probably wouldn't be worth it for something that would likely have weak sales, like Earthbound

Drago

A Mother Collection for 3DS would be great and could possibly sell well if marketed correctly ('featuring Ness and Lucas from Smash Bros' maybe?)

Its probably the best thing to do with the series at this point.

Murrah

Banned
I was pretty against having changes made to Earthbound to get it released on the Virtual Console because of artistic reasons (yes I'm aware of the changes made during its original localization), but if these are the only things that actually need to be changed that's pretty depressing, especially with how easy those are. Oh well, I'm well past thinking it'll actually ever be re-released here

I think the worst part is how close EB came to releasing just to miss it. ESRB rated, digital manuals finished, so close. :[

Speaking of missing VC games, is there any reason HAL stopped releasing stuff? I'd still like Adventures of Lolo 3 and we better get Revenge of the Gator.

tuffy

Agreed. Their failure to capitalize on the success of King Of Kong in 2007/8 by not releasing the arcade version of Donkey Kong still confounds me. And how hard would it have been to set up an online leaderboard & get Mitchell & Wiebe to set scores?
The original arcade version of Donkey Kong used lots of discrete circuitry to handle audio. It would need to be simulated (which uses a lot of CPU power) or faked using recorded audio samples from an actual arcade machine. Donkey Kong Jr. and Mario Bros. have the same problem, which is likely why the NES versions are all we've gotten thus far.

backlot

I think the worst part is how close EB came to releasing just to miss it. ESRB rated, digital manuals finished, so close. :[

I remember hearing Mother 1 was in a pretty similar situation back when it was going to be released in America. It was already completely localized and I think I heard they already had a guide book in the works for it when they decided to pull the plug. The series has a really unfortunate history outside of Japan.

thomaser

Agreed. Their failure to capitalize on the success of King Of Kong in 2007/8 by not releasing the arcade version of Donkey Kong still confounds me.

The biggest reason for this is that they don't own the source code for the original arcade game. Another company, I don't remember which, actually owns the code. But they have made deals to release the arcade game some times, as in the limited edition red Wii in Europe, so it might happen again.

RobotHaus

Unconfirmed Member
The biggest reason for this is that they don't own the source code for the original arcade game. Another company, I don't remember which, actually owns the code. But they have made deals to release the arcade game some times, as in the limited edition red Wii in Europe, so it might happen again.

It might be Rare of all companies, they did have a source perfect version in DK64. That or the arcade distributor.

I remember hearing Mother 1 was in a pretty similar situation back when it was going to be released in America. It was already completely localized and I think I heard they already had a guide book in the works for it when they decided to pull the plug. The series has a really unfortunate history outside of Japan.

A damn shame. I really wish they would get Earthbound on the VC..

thomaser

It might be Rare of all companies, they did have a source perfect version in DK64. That or the arcade distributor.

It was the arcade distributor. When Nintendo made the NES version, they had to illegally reverse-engineer the arcade game. There was a legal dispute which was eventually settled, but I think that the other company still owns the code. I read this very recently, but don't remember where.

tuffy

It was the arcade distributor. When Nintendo made the NES version, they had to illegally reverse-engineer the arcade game. There was a legal dispute which was eventually settled, but I think that the other company still owns the code. I read this very recently, but don't remember where.
Ikegami Tsushinki Co. is rumored to have contributed code to Radar Scope and Donkey Kong as a subcontractor and Nintendo reached a settlement with them in 1990, but the terms were never disclosed.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Thanks for the quick reply!

Sadly I'll pass since I'm content with already owning the PC version. :(

I hesitated on the purchase at first, but I enjoy the game so much that having a portable version on my 3DS was worth it for a double dip.

Drago

So how are Sword of Hope II and Tumblepop? Debating getting those when they come out... they both look pretty interesting

tsab

So how are Sword of Hope II and Tumblepop? Debating getting those when they come out... they both look pretty interesting

Tumblepop seems to be a pretty good port/adaption of the arcade game. probably will buy it next time(Pal eShop)

RobotHaus

Unconfirmed Member
For anyone hesitant on VVVVVV double dipping, I'd say go for it. It feels good with proper controls and it's great for just pick up and play. It also includes some extra challenge 'campaigns' if you will. It's a really nice addition.

Davey Cakes

I thought the legal issues with Earthbound were more extensive than that, but wow.

Three little things, two which are easily changeable and one which might take a tiny bit of effort, are keeping one of Nintendo's masterpieces from the Virtual Console. Sickening.

Davey Cakes

I don't think I've seen a positive post regarding Mario Tennis as a Club Nintendo reward. I already have Mario Power Tennis, but I thought that the N64 game was really well-regarded. Is it not worth the 150 coins? Is it much worse than the sequel? I was thinking of grabbing it just for easy-access but if it's no good, I'll hold off.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
I don't think I've seen a positive post regarding Mario Tennis as a Club Nintendo reward. I already have Mario Power Tennis, but I thought that the N64 game was really well-regarded. Is it not worth the 150 coins? Is it much worse than the sequel? I was thinking of grabbing it just for easy-access but if it's no good, I'll hold off.

I'm sure it holds up. It's was a solid game, but I think there's little desire to pick it up when it's basically been remade twice now. And it doesn't house unique features like the portable titles, that would make you think about picking those up again.

BoatAck

It's a great multilayer game if you have friends over. I have it for the N64, but I haven't played it in almost 10 years. It is definitely good as a single player game too.

zroid

Banned

It's a fine game but it's just too bad that its best feature was removed from the VC version.

importing characters from the GBC Mario Tennis

It's a fine game but it's just too bad that its best feature was removed from the VC version.

importing characters from the GBC Mario Tennis

Sucks that the GBC version will probably get gimped, too. (Assuming it gets a VC release) The best mini-games were the ones you got for unlocking the Transfer Pak characters.

So as someone who never played Electroplankton, how is the Club Nintendo prize thing? Is it worth the 100 coins, or would I be better off buying the original on DS?

Drago

So as someone who never played Electroplankton, how is the Club Nintendo prize thing? Is it worth the 100 coins, or would I be better off buying the original on DS?
The fact that its $2 means its not worth 100 coins, lol. I've never played electroplankton so I cant comment on its quality, sorry :/

I believe that electroplankton dsiware games are all parts of the original game and, when put together, make up the full game. You'd probably be better off buying the full game

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz

It's definitely not worth 100 coins. If they were offering five of them for that price, then maybe it'd be a good deal.

jgkspsx

Good luck buying the original game. The best complete used copy on Amazon is $36, whereas it's $20 to buy them all on DSiWare. And honestly you really don't need Volvoice for anything.

If you're into Iwai and electronic music art, it might be worth getting the card, but otherwise you might just want to sample a couple. I recommend Hanenbow, Luminaria (Luminarrow), Marinesnow, Lumiloop, and Tracy (Trapy). Beatnes is cute and uses NES sound sets too.

VideoMan

30% Failure Rate
http://www.petitcomputer.com/

Coming to NA DSiWare "this summer", courtesy of Gamebridge. About damn time!

Someone who's familiar with the JP release should make a new thread.

This is just amazing news. Don't have time to make a thread but someone really should. From the screens/info on the website it looks like it's a port of Petit Computer mkII which added SD card saving and QR code support.

Here's a few examples of games made with Petit Computer on DSi for anybody who doesn't know about yet:

Skull Madness: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sv11sR51Pa8

Xevious Tiny II: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O8MBiSsbRjw

Outrun: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sg7u5svuP6M

Spectacle Hurricane: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tmhlbBLDjeo

mclem

I... I don't know if I could ever go back to BASIC. C++ has been so good to me. Mind you, it'd be interesting revisiting it now I know how to code *properly*, rather than the spaghetti-based carbuncles I came up with in the past.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
This is just amazing news. Don't have time to make a thread but someone really should. From the screens/info on the website it looks like it's a port of Petit Computer mkII which added SD card saving and QR code support.

Oh, we'll get a thread ready by the time it launches. Bwahaha.

Anyone know the basic quirks/changes to PetitBasic vs. "normal 80s" BASIC? The front page tells me that it uses == for "equal to" and != for "not equal to" (=.== | <>,!=)... I'm just curious how easily I can convert old programs to it.

Yep, we're gonna get http://www.atariarchives.org/basicgames/ all QRed.

Top Bottom