• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Downloads - July 2012

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
I... I don't know if I could ever go back to BASIC. C++ has been so good to me.

Pfft. BASIC is a MAN'S computer language. Who needs libraries -- real men PROGRAM IT ALL THEMSELF!

(cough)

Edit: The webpage seems to have a virtual PetitComputer you can use, but I can't get it to start... anyone have any luck with it?

@MUWANdo

Banned
From the screens/info on the website it looks like it's a port of Petit Computer mkII which added SD card saving and QR code support.

It is! Here's the press release:

Petit Computer

Petit Computer is the American name of a Japanese DSiWare title called “Puchicom” by Smileboom. “Petit Computer” will be released by Gamebridge in America in Summer 2012.
Petit Computer is a BASIC programming language tool for DSiWare. Using the virtual keyboard on the Touch Screen, users can enter programming commands to create their own BASIC source code.

The first version of the software was released in Japan in March 2011 and has received a large following of users in Japan. The first version only allowed users to save their program source code within the Puchikon program, preventing users from exchanging their source code. As a result users have been videoing their code and uploading the video to youtube.

Do you recognize any of these?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NDTPketCpMc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJYmkN0RZno&feature=relmfu

In February 2012, one year after the release of the original version, Smileboom released a new and enhanced MkII version of the program in Japan. MkII has several major improvements including the ability to save your BASIC program source code to a SD card. Using a computer to access the Petit Computer website users can then convert their source code into QR Codes so others can read-in their programs using the Camera in their Nintendo DSi or Nintendo 3DS as a QR Code reader.

It is the latest MKII version that Gamebridge will release in America this summer as “Petit Computer”.

Features

Petit Computer is DSiWare for your Nintendo DSi/3DS. Many Nintendo DSi features can be accessed by Petit Computer using the BASIC programming language.

Fast and colorful sprites, BG screens (screen mode specialized for drawing backgrounds), graphic capabilities, and Touch Screen input are supported by the Nintendo DSi.

Petit Computer comes preloaded with 512 sprites. It also includes 256 BG chips for use in backgrounds. And by changing colors and rotating, the world of possibilities gets even wider.

You can use MML syntax to simultaneously play an 8-channel melody and trigger 16 sounds at once. The available 128 basic tones (instruments), 68 drums, 8 patterns of PSG (duty cycles), and noise can be freely combined to create the sounds you want.

Petit Computer comes with features that allow other people to see the programs you create. When you have a friend nearby, you can use your Nintendo DSi's Wireless Communications feature to exchange programs.

And when you want to release a program to an even wider audience, you can save it onto an SD Card, load it onto your PC, and then use a browser to convert it into a QR code that lets you easily make your work public. These programs can then be loaded onto a Nintendo DSi by using its camera to scan the resulting QR code.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Anyone know the basic quirks/changes to PetitBasic vs. "normal 80s" BASIC? The front page tells me that it uses == for "equal to" and != for "not equal to" (=.== | <>,!=)... I'm just curious how easily I can convert old programs to it.
In one of the youtubes posted by VideoMan (Skull Madness: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sv11sR51Pa8) you can see named labels.

Code:
10 @subroutineA : return
20 gosub @subroutineA

mclem

Oh, we'll get a thread ready by the time it launches. Bwahaha.

Anyone know the basic quirks/changes to PetitBasic vs. "normal 80s" BASIC? The front page tells me that it uses == for "equal to" and != for "not equal to" (=.== | <>,!=)... I'm just curious how easily I can convert old programs to it.

In a perfect world, someone would have made a PC application to convert text dumps to a QR code to be read by the system...

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
In a perfect world, someone would have made a PC application to convert text dumps to a QR code to be read by the system...

QR codes are limited to about 2.5KB of binary data--around 4KB if you only use alphanumeric symbols but I can't remember if that particular specification allows for enough character types to be suitable for arbitrary code, even in Basic.

Although with text compression being as good as it is, that might be enough.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
QR codes are limited to about 2.5KB of binary data--around 4KB if you only use alphanumeric symbols but I can't remember if that particular specification allows for enough character types to be suitable for arbitrary code, even in Basic.
Although with text compression being as good as it is, that might be enough.

Hmm. Pure BASIC code still allows for a lot of stuff within that limit, but PetitComputer also does graphics...

The other possibility is that QR code programs max out at 2K or so, but you can still share the source/binary BASIC code files, and perhaps THOSE files can exceed the QR code limit.

The QR codes aren't generated by the DSiWare, but rather by an online convertor. The DSiWare saves ".pct" files on the SD card. If the PCT files are raw text (which I'd doubt they'd be, what with graphic data), I'm sure someone can hack together a converter...

Edit: The Japanese Smileboom page for the program (http://smileboom.com/special/ptcm2/) is full of ... stuff. PDF command guides. Something that looks like an audio thingie for Windows and Mac computers. Sample programs in text format...

I'm just trying to figure out if it shows you a way to turn computer-typed code into DSi/3DS ready code.

Edit: The "Present" page has this image: http://smileboom.com/special/ptcm2/co_present/image/qr-sbtalk02.png
The image seems to imply that a program can be composed of multiple QR codes -- in this case, 11.

tsab

What's the chance of this releasing in PAL-Land?
I am so excited reading about this. I still have my Amstrad CPC464 with Basic 1.0. hehe :D

@MUWANdo

Banned
The publisher is based in the UK, AFAIK, so you'd imagine it'll happen eventually.

That being said, translating the manual to multi-5 would be a total bitch.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
7f5TM.png

Nintendo DSi | DSiWare

• Ace Mathician (CIRCLE Entertainment | ? Points | $?) Upcoming (07/12)

"Ace Mathician"(DSi ware) will be released in North America on July 12th !

Ever wondered why you needed to learn math in school?

The answer is simple; to change the world! And that's exactly what you get to do in this game!

You play as a cute Koala named Ace who loves fruit! Unfortunately a few delicious pieces of fruit are just out of reach and you need to change the positions of the platforms to get to the fruit!

You can change the positions of the platform by entering a math formula.

There's no right or wrong answer, every formula the player can come up with will have an effect on the world! Suddenly math becomes as fun as drawing!

There are many possible ways to finish a level... be creative!

Later levels will feature enemies and traps keeping the game challenging. And while your at it, you can collect stars for a better score!

Trailer: http://youtu.be/AURoWcUa0a8

The biggest reason for this is that they don't own the source code for the original arcade game. Another company, I don't remember which, actually owns the code. But they have made deals to release the arcade game some times, as in the limited edition red Wii in Europe, so it might happen again.
That is actually a romhack of the NES version. People have dumped it.

I'm so excited for Petit Computer. When it was announced in Japan, I wanted it so badly, now I can have it!

I'm gonna make a separate thread for the announcement.

Drago

Just got a $20 card for 8-Bit Summer. :)

Plan on getting Kirby Pinball, Kid Icarus II, Wario Land, and Tumblepop. Already have Zelda, and I'm skipping the Sonic games and Sword of Hope II due to them being apparently awful.

Never got a straight answer - is Tumblepop good? It seems interesting enough.

NOA should release DK: Original Edition on VC. Actually they should extend 8bit summer to Wii VC, there's still a good amount of NES/SMS/C64/MSX stuff they could do. Even just one a week would be cool.

Javier

Is it ironic I played Moon Patrol, Mario Bros and Donkey Kong on the 800XL? and I was 4.
I first played them there too, along with other classics such as Ms. Pacman and Montezuma.

The Atari 800XL port of Donkey Kong was one of the best, actually.

SHAZOOM

I first played them there too, along with other classics such as Ms. Pacman and Montezuma.

The Atari 800XL port of Donkey Kong was one of the best, actually.

Heh, Montezume I remember playing on a green only Apple II. And people talking BASIC brings me back to middle school, with all the Apple IIs and Commodore 64s.

Nostalgia rush.

BooJoh

I wonder if we can expect them to start rolling out Theatrhythm DLC this week, and how often they'll add them.

Chopper

Is anyone else finding massive delays when hi-scores get uploaded to online rankings in Marvel Pinball? I've been owning the Iron Man table, but you wouldn't know it looking at the scoreboards...

Capndrake

EU update this week:

3DS VC: Castlevania: The Adventure
eShop: Zombie Slayer Diox, Mutant Mudds Demo
DSiWare: Escape the Virus: Swarm Survival

Plus Theathrythm DLC:

A Fleeting Dream (FF10 - FMS)
Ride On (FF08 - FMS)
Cosmo Canyon (FF07 - FMS)
In Search of Light (FF05 - FMS)
Fighting Fate (FF13 - BMS)
Fighters of the Crystal (FF11 - BMS)
The Final Battle (FF04 - BMS)
Battle Theme 1 (FF02 - BMS)

vdlow

It's a shame that Sakura Samurai is missing from the EU eShop. One of the best games of the service, enjoyed every minute that I played it.

Chopper

Plus Theathrythm DLC:

A Fleeting Dream (FF10 - FMS)
Ride On (FF08 - FMS)
Cosmo Canyon (FF07 - FMS)
In Search of Light (FF05 - FMS)
Fighting Fate (FF13 - BMS)
Fighters of the Crystal (FF11 - BMS)
The Final Battle (FF04 - BMS)
Battle Theme 1 (FF02 - BMS)
DLC a day before the release date? That's keen. Any idea what they cost?

Also, Castlevania: The Adventure means Belmont's Revenge soon, right?

zroid

Banned
With the Theatrhythm DLC 90p in the UK, that nearly confirms they will be just $0.99 in North America. That's stupendously low seeing as each song was 150 yen in Japan. Take my money, Square Enix!

DLC a day before the release date? That's keen. Any idea what they cost?

Also, Castlevania: The Adventure means Belmont's Revenge soon, right?

Not in Japan so far, and Castlevania: The Adventure's been here a little while. I'm sure it'll come eventually.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
So if you want all of the DLC songs you'll have to pay an extra &#8364;50 on top of the retail price of the card...

Yes, you have to pay more if you wanna have more or all content. Nothing new here ;-)

Drago

So while NA catches up in VC, Europe will be getting more stuff that we'll need to catch up to. Great x_x
Speaking of which, what happened to Kirbys Dream Land 2? We still need that (and Trip World!)

Anyways, I'm glad the Theatrhythm DLC is cheap, will make it much easier for me to impulse buy :p

radcliff

NOA should release DK: Original Edition on VC. Actually they should extend 8bit summer to Wii VC, there's still a good amount of NES/SMS/C64/MSX stuff they could do. Even just one a week would be cool.

Konami and Nintendo should both be ashamed that the NES version of Contra still isn't available on the VC.

Shiggy

How do I unlock the two additional characters in Rock'n'Roll Climber on WiiWare?
Just purchased the title. Its controls are pretty awkward...don't really work.

Chopper

How do I unlock the two additional characters in Rock'n'Roll Climber on WiiWare?
Just purchased the title. Its controls are pretty awkward...don't really work.
Ha ha! I'd forgotten all about that! Didn't they demo it on stage at E3?! Are you using a balance board? I have no idea how that would work.

Shiggy

Ha ha! I'd forgotten all about that! Didn't they demo it on stage at E3?! Are you using a balance board? I have no idea how that would work.

They demoed it at GDC2009.
I still had 1000 Nintendo Points and just couldn't find anything worthwhile on the service anymore...
The game has two control modes. One uses the Wii Balance Board together with the remote and NunChuk, the other uses only the latter two. My problem just is that I have no real clue how to move my feet. Without using the balance board, it kind of works. But with the balance board, I cannot really get it to work.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
vYU92.png

Nintendo 3DS | eShop Original Software, Downloadable Content and Demos

• Theatrhythm Final Fantasy DLC (Square Enix)
    Final Fantasy II's "Battle Theme 1" (€1.00 | £0.90) Upcoming (07/05)
    Final Fantasy IV's "The Final Battle" (€1.00 | £0.90) Upcoming (07/05)
    Final Fantasy V's "In Search of Light" (€1.00 | £0.90) Upcoming (07/05)
    Final Fantasy VII's "Cosmo Canyon" (€1.00 | £0.90) Upcoming (07/05)
    Final Fantasy VIII's "Ride On" (€1.00 | £0.90) Upcoming (07/05)
    Final Fantasy X's "A Fleeting Dream" (€1.00 | £0.90) Upcoming (07/05)
    Final Fantasy XI's "Fighters of the Crystal" (€1.00 | £0.90) Upcoming (07/05)
    Final Fantasy XIII's "Fighting Fate" (€1.00 | £0.90) Upcoming (07/05)

• Mutant Mudds (Renegade Kid | Demo Version) Upcoming (07/05)

Nintendo 3DS | Virtual Console

Nintendo DSi | DSiWare

• Escape the Virus: Swarm Survival (Teyon | 200 Points | €2.00 | £1.80) Upcoming (07/05)

I just got a 3DS so excuse my ignorance... but sleep mode when downloading something... how does it work?

I keep the DS on and shut the lid after I've pressed Sleep Mode Download. Yet when I keep checking on it in this mode every once in a while, the % didn't move, so I gave up and re downloaded it but kept it on the dropping gems screen.

I honestly feel like I've gone back in time to the PS3 launch in the way this system downloads.

Drago

I just got a 3DS so excuse my ignorance... but sleep mode when downloading something... how does it work?

I keep the DS on and shut the lid after I've pressed Sleep Mode Download. Yet when I keep checking on it in this mode every once in a while, the % didn't move, so I gave up and re downloaded it but kept it on the dropping gems screen.

I honestly feel like I've gone back in time to the PS3 launch in the way this system downloads.
Dix you exit out of any apps you have before closing the 3DS? Nothing can be running while sleep downloading.
EDIT: Read that wrong, sorry. Maybe it has something to do with your internet? :/

Top Bottom