• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Downloads - March 2012

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
All the new stuff getting released today:

7f5TM.png

Nintendo 3DS | eShop Original Software, Downloadable Content and Demos

Nintendo 3DS | Virtual Console

Wii | Virtual Console

Nintendo DSi | DSiWare

vYU92.png

Nintendo 3DS | eShop Original Software, Downloadable Content and Demos

Nintendo 3DS | Virtual Console

• Kid Icarus: Of Myths and Monsters (Nintendo | Game Boy | €3 | £2.70) Latest release!

Wii | Virtual Console

Nintendo DSi | DSiWare

NeoRausch

just DL'ed Minigolf by shinen. looks nice (a few SMALL framedrops here and there), plays good and they added a BUNCH of content.

they almost trippeld the content since the wiiware version and it's only 5 bucks...almost half the price. nice to see that some devs take advantage of the new pricing structure (it's up to them, isn't it?)

i felt like: "No way i'm gonna use the touchscreen controles for that!" but hey what do you know they are pretty great. just use the slider for precise aiming... that's it. using the touchscreen for the power of your shot is godsend. really nice.

but....the head of my mii on that body looks....SO WRONG AND DISTURBING!

anyway, if you like that kind of game five euros is a steal, really!

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
just DL'ed Minigolf by shinen. looks nice (a few SMALL framedrops here and there), plays good and they added a BUNCH of content.

they almost trippeld the content since the wiiware version and it's only 5 bucks...almost half the price. nice to see that some devs take advantage of the new pricing structure (it's up to them, isn't it?)

i felt like: "No way i'm gonna use the touchscreen controles for that!" but hey what do you know they are pretty great. just use the slider for precise aiming... that's it. using the touchscreen for the power of your shot is godsend. really nice.

but....the head of my mii on that body looks....SO WRONG AND DISTURBING!

anyway, if you like that kind of game five euros is a steal, really!

I did not like the aiming system on the wii version, I believe it was an arrow that just moved back and forth and you just timed the hit to adjust your aim? What is the aiming like in this one?

NeoRausch

I did not like the aiming system on the wii version, I believe it was an arrow that just moved back and forth and you just timed the hit to adjust your aim? What is the aiming like in this one?

for the strenght of the shot:

Buttons: classic golf stuff, press A once to start the meter press it again to stop it
Touch: touch the ball (yeah!) pull to the power lvl you want (also shown on the indicator) and let the stylus go

Aiming:

Slide: well, left and right to aim
Touch: touch the outter ring and aim at any direction you want. quick and cool but not as precise as the slidepad.

while you set the strenght for the shot ther is a little yellow dot hoovering over the ball from left to right which indicates the spin the ball will have for the shot.

i haven't played it that much right now, but there is really a nice list of unlockable stuff.

just bought (in game coin-system) a 8-Bit Soundset. hurrr! kind of a bummer they didn't add some archivments. ah well at least they added medals.

Somnid

So Capcom, where is that Megaman X game you promised for the 3DS hmmm?

It was always understood to be a typo. Is it more likely Capcom got the exclusive first SNES game on 3DS VC in Europe of all places without any sort of announcement from Nintendo or is it more likely the long unreleased in Europe Wii VC version was finally coming?

backlot

It was always understood to be a typo. Is it more likely Capcom got the exclusive first SNES game on 3DS VC in Europe of all places without any sort of announcement from Nintendo or is it more likely the long unreleased in Europe Wii VC version was finally coming?

Capcom would never make a typo.

Roto13

That wasn't a typo since they said "3DS" a bunch of times. It was just a blogger who doesn't understand what he/she is being paid to blog about.

Thanks for impressions, weirdman. I wasn't even considering the game but your description piqued my interest and I looked up a video, it's pretty nice looking. I read Nintendolife's review of the Wiiware game which wasn't exactly glowing, but hearing what has been added combined with the lower price makes it sound like this is a worthy game.

NeoRausch

Thanks for impressions, weirdman. I wasn't even considering the game but your description piqued my interest and I looked up a video, it's pretty nice looking. I read Nintendolife's review of the Wiiware game which wasn't exactly glowing, but hearing what has been added combined with the lower price makes it sound like this is a worthy game.

i would say: if you are interrested in that kind of game, go for it. only thing missing is some kind of multiplayer.

on note: NL also has a preview up: http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2012/02/first_impressions_fun_fun_minigolf_touch_3ds_eshop

Effect

wadda u wanna know? i sell infos for cheap!

Are there any leaderboards? Multiplayer? Customization of characters?

I really should read up more on the game but forgot it was even coming out after seeing some clips of it earlier on.

Glass Joe

I remember Punch Out!! having this tiny bit of control lag on the VC. I'd pick it up again on the 3DS if it doesn't have any.

Yeah that was a big problem with the Wii version. I suppose it was emulated properly, just with HDTVs there's a quiet amount of lag inherent to ALL games. Just the reactions needed in Punch-Out made it a total bitch.

As someone who beat Punch-Out legit as a kid, the Wii VC I think I gave up on Soda Popinski. Coulda been the lag, could be me gettin' older I dunno. D/L'ed it on 3ds hoping the lag is gone and that I can relive past glories.

Had trouble picking up the gem flash with Great Tiger (didn't that happen before certain punches?) I'm a bit rusty. Anyway just lost to Bald Bull. Feels ok, stupid that they don't let you remap the start button (uppercut) but even then, the uppercut being there isn't as horrible as one might imagine.

I wish Nintendo would put even a tiny effort into their VC releases though. Even the Wii games had virtual manuals. This game could use one, and also button remapping. Achievements would be nice too... Man I better not have to buy this game a 3rd time on Wii U :-( But other than my bitching, the game's alright and what you'd expect.

NeoRausch

Are there any leaderboards? Multiplayer? Customization of characters?

I really should read up more on the game but forgot it was even coming out after seeing some clips of it earlier on.

no leaderderboards or multiplayer whatsoever. 100% singlplayer game. yup, that seems to be the downside of the game.

character customization is limited. as in: pic a generic male of female freak, unlock your mii, choose your mii and wonder why your mii looks soooo freakish!

you can select from four different shirt/trousers/shoes and color them the way you want. one main color, on extra color for the pattern.

How does this "out of bounds" thing work that Nintendolife is so down on?

Is it on literally every hole?

It sounds like what they're saying is that you basically have to get it in two every time, one hit to land "in bounds" and another to tap it in?

Yeah that was a big problem with the Wii version. I suppose it was emulated properly, just with HDTVs there's a quiet amount of lag inherent to ALL games. Just the reactions needed in Punch-Out made it a total bitch.

As someone who beat Punch-Out legit as a kid, the Wii VC I think I gave up on Soda Popinski. Coulda been the lag, could be me gettin' older I dunno. D/L'ed it on 3ds hoping the lag is gone and that I can relive past glories.

Had trouble picking up the gem flash with Great Tiger (didn't that happen before certain punches?) I'm a bit rusty. Anyway just lost to Bald Bull. Feels ok, stupid that they don't let you remap the start button (uppercut) but even then, the uppercut being there isn't as horrible as one might imagine.

I wish Nintendo would put even a tiny effort into their VC releases though. Even the Wii games had virtual manuals. This game could use one, and also button remapping. Achievements would be nice too... Man I better not have to buy this game a 3rd time on Wii U :-( But other than my bitching, the game's alright and what you'd expect.

I'm pretty sure that all games on eShop has a virtual manual. Press the Home button while in the game, and the Manual should be an option on the lower screen.

NeoRausch

How does this "out of bounds" thing work that Nintendolife is so down on?

Is it on literally every hole?

It sounds like what they're saying is that you basically have to get it in two every time, one hit to land "in bounds" and another to tap it in?

nah, there is a area around the hole (pretty big) where you have to get the ball to. so no balls between first shot-area (whatever that is called in english) and hole-area. they trimmed it down pretty significant from the wii version. i have no idea why it is there, but in this version it's not soooo annoying.

but on another note:
i just unlocked the next set of courses, and it looks like they are just revisited versions of the first set.... :/

i better shut up till i played/unlocked more of the game.

EDIT:
NWR Review is up:
http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/review/29487

7.5/10 (way better then dillion :p)

EDIT2:
yup, that seals the deal. the courses are always the same and just get touched up a bit. what a bummer! still a cool game, though.

now gimme F.A.S.T. on 3DS with super heavy 3D!! i want my eyes to bleed and pop out!

Roto13

I might buy Zombie Slayer Diox. Looks like a decent warmup for Theatrhythm. :p

Edit: Wow, also, Colors 3D looks REALLY good. I wasn't really paying attention to it before now because I have no artistic ability whatsoever but that looks awesome and I might buy it just for the online galleries.

Oh, Nintendo. You are so funny putting the Game Gear game videos in the VC section. I thought they came out early for a second. I'll get Shinobi and Sonic, but I don't know about that Dragon Crystal game after seeing the video. It looks bad.

I got Punch-Out!! today. The small screen makes it hard to see small tells like Great Tiger's gem glowing, but besides that, it's great to have it on 3DS.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
I remember Punch Out!! having this tiny bit of control lag on the VC. I'd pick it up again on the 3DS if it doesn't have any.

Only when played in progressive scan and only with some HDTV sets was more explicit since most are crap as far as latency goes. On my living room plasma the lag was pretty much nonexistent and in line with
Snes9X played on the same tv+Wii, while on my LG (lol) LCD (double lol) in the kitchen it renderes the game pretty crappy and 10x more difficult.
The 3DS version doesn't suffer from any lag apparently.

Dash Kappei

Wait a second, the mapped the uppercut to 3DS's horrible start button? Please tell me I'm wrong.
If that's the case, fuck that, I'm out. Why Nintendo, whyyyyyyy?! -_-

Veal

Except the start button hasn't always been impossible to press, like it is on the 3DS

Somebody awhile back posted about taking the the little rubber feet that come on the 3DS cradle, and putting them near the start and select buttons to stop the bottom screen from causing lines on the top one. I took that a bit further and put them on start and select, making them MUCH easier to press AND stopping the screen issue. People should try it!

Dash Kappei

The uppercut has always been on the Start button.

What does that even have to do with 3DS VC Punchout?
For VC 3DS Super Mario Bros they replicated the NES A B buttons on A B X Y, making it playable, clearly demonstrating that Nintendo is aware that they can't just directly translate controls over two different pieces of hardware.
3DS's start and select buttons are the shittiest button layout/form factor ever, it doesn't take a genius to either map the uppercut to a virtual button (touch screen) or Y, the only reason it was like that on NES is because the controller lacked proper buttons. It's already a pain in the ass to use Start when you need to pause 3DS games, I definitely can't put up with it during gameplay. Rest assured it'll be the first thing the fix when the 3DS gets a revision down the line, can't fathom how they went with something so fucking stupid.
Fuck. My most wanted NES game on 3DS along with SMB, totally screwed up.
You're ok with it then more power to you, but it's a day never purchase for me :/

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
You asked why. It's a port of NES Punch-Out and it has the same control layout. Every updated NES game on 3DS VC has the same control layout including the X as B and Y as select part.

You guys are right, but ignoring the fact that Nintendo should REALLY have X mirroring START like Y mirrors SELECT. Heck, L or R could mirror START for all I care...

You guys are right, but ignoring the fact that Nintendo should REALLY have X mirroring START like Y mirrors SELECT. Heck, L or R could mirror START for all I care...

As a heavy SNES player, I'm still waiting for the day that Nintendo lets you choose Y and B instead of B and A on VC games. They still use the Y for run/action and B for jump in plenty of newer games, like Mario 3Dland, so I don't get why they are stuck on only using A and B for the VC. Super Mario All-Stars and the Super Gameboy let you choose, but Nintendo seems to have chosen to ignore that ever since.

IrishNinja

good to hear about the lack of lag, but cmonnnnnnn nintendo! i'd pay $6 to have iron mike back in there. the controversy's been dead for decades! really don't see why we can't have that, much less MJ's moonwalker.

sfried

good to hear about the lack of lag, but cmonnnnnnn nintendo! i'd pay $6 to have iron mike back in there. the controversy's been dead for decades! really don't see why we can't have that, much less MJ's moonwalker.
Mike's licensing would've probably INCREASED due to the contraversy. In other words, it ain't gonna be just $6 that's for sure.

I think Moonwalker was actually rated for the Wii about two years back, but the rating ended up being removed after a few months. Could have been interesting, at least in regards to licensed titles on Virtual Console.

Top Bottom