• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Downloads - May 2009 (VC / WiiWare / DSiWare)

Ranger X

That's perfect. I can't stand the N64 in composite cable in my TV anymore + I never got the time to seriously play Majora's Mask!

This thing is mine! full 480i + 24bits colors + Component cables = FOR THE WIN.

Davey Cakes

JohnTinker said:
Awesome. The next N64 games that I really want now are Smash Bros and Pilotwings
Definitely.

Though, I really hope Nintendo surprises us by releasing these sooner than expected. Majora's Mask is a big release, so Nintendo might think it'll keep everyone satisfied for the next several months. I'd be happy if that wasn't the case, however.

Smash Brothers has been on the Japanese VC for a while. I think it's time we got it too.

Jaruru

JohnTinker said:
Awesome. The next N64 games that I really want now are Smash Bros and Pilotwings

Pilotwings Pilotwings Pilotwings
either VC or make a new one pls. :D

nice update this week. will dl ArtStyle for sure~

The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask (Nintendo 64, 1 player, Rated E for Everyone - Cartoon Violence, 1,000 Wii Points™): Link™ must save the world! This time, he finds himself trapped in Termina, an alternate version of Hyrule that is doomed to destruction in just three short days. Link must race to recover the Ocarina of Time (which allows him to manipulate time in multiple ways), defeat challenging bosses in dungeons spread across Termina and discover the key to the mystery of Majora's Mask. Along the way, he'll obtain new weapons and items and help other characters (some strangely familiar) in their everyday lives. In addition, Link must use a wide assortment of masks scattered throughout Termina, each with its own specific use or power. Never before have three days offered so much in the way of action, mind-boggling puzzles and depth. The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask is an adventure unlike any other!

35k7sj7.jpg

2cf2qyo.jpg

fauh6b.jpg

boiled goose

good with gravy
Ranger X said:
That's perfect. I can't stand the N64 in composite cable in my TV anymore + I never got the time to seriously play Majora's Mask!

This thing is mine! full 480i + 24bits colors + Component cables = FOR THE WIN.

majora's mask is an awesome experience. be sure to immerse yourself in the town!

Struct09

I would love me some Excitebike 64 in 480p. The funny thing is that I don't care about dirt bikes, and I typically don't like racing games, but I absolutely LOVED Excitebike 64.

Davey Cakes

PepsimanVsJoe said:
Now about that Virtual Console Arcade...
What they need to do is release one VC game, one VCA game, one WiiWare game, and one DSiWare game per week. I'd be satisfied with that, as long as Nintendo tries their hardest not to release lackluster content. A smaller window of releases for each service would be best utilized if accompanied by the most favorable games at the time.

bridegur

Struct09 said:
I would love me some Excitebike 64 in 480p. The funny thing is that I don't care about dirt bikes, and I typically don't like racing games, but I absolutely LOVED Excitebike 64.

Same with me. It's too bad Nintendo bungled a sequel. They wasted a great opportunity with that series, and it looks like they're doing the same with Wave Race.

OMG AT LAST!!! My favourite game of all time is finally on the VC!!! :D

I wouldn't even care if nothing got announced at E3 now that I can finally play MM again!

I'm even more shocked to see an Art Style game today as well! (Strange that Picopict should come before Decode though) Good things do come after all! :D

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
bridegur said:
Same with me. It's too bad Nintendo bungled a sequel. They wasted a great opportunity with that series, and it looks like they're doing the same with Wave Race.
ehh.... to be honest Nintendo would have a tough time beating out WaveRace BS. About the only thing I can even think of that it's missing is 16:9. Otherwise with Wii being 100% BC your best bet is to just buy WRBS. Still holds up 100% today.

loosus

Banned
borghe said:
ehh.... to be honest Nintendo would have a tough time beating out WaveRace BS. About the only thing I can even think of that it's missing is 16:9. Otherwise with Wii being 100% BC your best bet is to just buy WRBS. Still holds up 100% today.
Wave Race BS was arse. They're probably scared to continue the series after that abortion.

epmode

borghe said:
Agreed. Blue Storm gets a lot of flak but I thought it was mostly brilliant. Just because it's NST doesn't mean it's garbage!

bridegur

borghe said:

Off the top of my head: widescreen, improved graphics, more courses, expanded trick system/modes, slightly less impossible difficulty level. Blue Storm was/is great, but it left a lot of room for improvement.

HUELEN10

I am very disappointed in today's offerings for Wii. While Zelda's not a bad game by any means, I was really hoping for Smash...

Still though, maybe the DSiWare offering is good. I haven't heard that much praise for this ArtStyle game though....

Sigh.

Rash said:
What they need to do is release one VC game, one VCA game, one WiiWare game, and one DSiWare game per week.

I just hate to see Nintendo pretend there's a lack of content. Namco alone has nearly a years worth of VCA content ready to go yet a more standardized setup can't be put into place?

Dunno about Waverace(haven't played either), but I actually prefer Avalanche to the original 1080.

HUELEN10 said:
I am very disappointed in today's offerings for Wii. While Zelda's not a bad game by any means, I was really hoping for Smash...

Still though, maybe the DSiWare offering is good. I haven't heard that much praise for this ArtStyle game though....

Sigh.

i am literally going to go to your house and murder you yes this is an actual illegal death threat written over the internet holy shit you monster

HUELEN10

EmCeeGramr said:
i am literally going to go to your house and murder you yes this is an actual illegal death threat written over the internet holy shit you monster
:lol Oh come on now, these are really valid feelings. Where before it was obvious Ninty wasn't giving a shit, this feels like they were, but it was a miss. I need to look up the DSi offering, but the VC offering is good, I am just disappointed by it. This is the definitive version of MM right? What's the problem then?

JSnake

HUELEN10 said:

Sigh.

We just got the best Zelda game ever made why are you complaining holy shit you monster :mad:

RaidenZR

Wow. I just tried out a few stages of PictoBits, and it's freakin' fantastic. Awesome puzzler with NES-era motif exploited to the max. I mean that in visuals, audio, and terminology. This is a rad game!

HUELEN10

JSnake said:
We just got the best Zelda game ever made why are you complaining holy shit you monster :mad:
JSnake, you know I am not a Zelda fan

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=361557

hell, I need to finish OOT first.

This is not a bad week, no one is saying it is. I just find the lack of Smash surprising and disappointing. The way that people take this so personally is just silly. :lol
RaidenZR said:
Wow. I just tried out a few stages of PictoBits, and it's freakin' fantastic. Awesome puzzler with NES-era motif exploited to the max. I mean that in visuals, audio, and terminology. This is a rad game!
How'd the music? Puzzle-ambiance is important to me. I might pick this one up!

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A GAMEPAK INTO THE SLOT. ITS LEGEND OF ZELDA: MAJORA'S MASK AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I START DOING THE MOVES ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, LINK. I DO EVERY MOVE AND I DO EVERY MOVE HARD. MAKIN WHOOSHING SOUNDS WHEN I SLAM DOWN SOME GARO BASTARDS OR EVEN WHEN I MESS UP TECHNIQUE. NOT MANY CAN SAY THEY SAVED TERMINA FROM THE MOON. I CAN. I SAY IT AND I SAY IT OUTLOUD EVERYDAY TO PEOPLE IN MY COLLEGE CLASS AND ALL THEY DO IS PROVE PEOPLE IN COLLEGE CLASS CAN STILL BE IMMATURE JEKRS. AND IVE LEARNED ALL THE LINES AND IVE LEARNED HOW TO MAKE MYSELF AND MY APARTMENT LESS LONELY BY SHOUTING EM ALL. 2 HOURS INCLUDING WIND DOWN EVERY MORNIng

THEN I LIFT

RaidenZR

HUELEN10 said:
JSnake, you know I am not a Zelda fan

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=361557

hell, I need to finish OOT first.

This is not a bad week, no one is saying it is. I just find the lack of Smash surprising and disappointing. The way that people take this so personally is just silly. :lol

How'd the music? Puzzle-ambiance is important to me. I might pick this one up!

If you like chiptunes, which in the early stages I've played, are throwbacks to SMB, then this is your jam. Seems like the music is their hook to make you play more, as you earn coins in the puzzle action (with combos and such) to unlock songs for a sound player. Not original at all, but it's a pretty nifty reward system considering the source material. I dig it.

HUELEN10

RaidenZR said:
If you like chiptunes, which in the early stages I've played, are throwbacks to SMB, then this is your jam. Seems like the music is their hook to make you play more, as you earn coins in the puzzle action (with combos and such) to unlock songs for a sound player. Not original at all, but it's a pretty nifty reward system considering the source material. I dig it.
This sounds right up my alley! When another game that I want comes out, I will buy points and get this and something else!

Yes Boss!

PepsimanVsJoe said:
About freaking time.

Now about that Virtual Console Arcade...

If it is any consolation, John Riccardi of Japan-based 8-4 mentioned on the Cagcast that they've translated the manuals for all those 30+ arcade games that are to be released in Japan, so they are likely coming.

Also, bought MM...whoo-hoo!

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
Since Majoras Mask needed the Expansion Pak, then I'm assuming that the VC emulator supports it. Cool.

Has there been an official reason as to why the VC emulator doesn't support the N64 memory cards?

HUELEN10

TheGrayGhost said:
Once again, I urge everyone to seek out the superior (IMO) LoZ: Collector's Edition. Yes, it does crash, but only rarely.
How is it superior if it crashes? Your statement sounds like fail, so explain.

Blizzard

Banned
I really liked Link's Awakening. I liked Link to the Past. I thought Minish Cap was pretty awesome.

I don't like child Link. I think Midna is rather disturbing. I don't really like the weird 3D kid link I think I've seen once or twice when watching people play games. I -really- don't like the crazy disturbing chibi bird-beak-faced girls I think I've seen from Majora's Mask.

Given this set of opinions (which, no doubt, are terrible), should I get this game? :p

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
HUELEN10 said:
How is it superior if it crashes? Your statement sounds like fail, so explain.

i also do not understand how a version of the game that unreliable would be considered the better version, unless the v.c. release transcends its status as an electronic game, reaches out a fist, and socks me in the nuts every ten minutes.

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
Will buy MM when I get home, but I'm really interested in this new Art Style game. For anyone who's downloaded it, please post pictures!

Hobbun

So is the VC version confirmed to be non-buggy, unlike the GC version?

Mutagenic said:
Will buy MM when I get home, but I'm really interested in this new Art Style game. For anyone who's downloaded it, please post pictures!

What new art style? From what I recall, it's just like OoT.

beelzebozo said:
i also do not understand how a version of the game that unreliable would be considered the better version, unless the v.c. release transcends its status as an electronic game, reaches out a fist, and socks me in the nuts every ten minutes.

that's just it, it isn't "that unreliable." it crashes only rarely when you transition from location to location via a passage, something that is easily marginalized if you don't rush into a passage and instead wait 5 or 10 seconds before passing on through. i'm also told that it it is dramatical reduced if you turn off rumble, though that would be one of the reasons why this version of mm absolutely kills the vc release, imo. this one also runs on widescreen, i think, and 480p. the vc version, i think, runs on 4:3 and 480i. if the differences between this one's OoT and the VC's OoT are any indication, the collector's edition beats out. most of all, as i said before, rumble just rocks that much.

Picking up Majora's Mask and Pictobits probably. So glad MM is out now. Best Zelda game ever. So many memories playing that. I still remember reading the NP with Majora's Mask on the cover many times. :lol

Blizzard

Banned
TheGrayGhost said:
I'm trying to think of these bird-beaked girls of whom speak... are you sure you're not talking about Wind Waker in that regard?

Actually you may be right. I've never played either, so it could be I wasn't a fan of the cel-shaded stuff...

Hmm, can someone hint at how the Majora's Mask plot starts? If it sounds interesting and is cheap I might just go for it anyway, even though I'm only a lowly 33% Zelda fan.

Majora

Hobbun said:
So is the VC version confirmed to be non-buggy, unlike the GC version?

Yes. At least it never once crashed for me when I completed it a few weeks ago in Euroland, unlike the GC version. There's no slowdown in ClockTown, which was pretty bad on the GC, and the sound emulation is much better though very occasionally it still glitches.

Only downside is lack of rumble obviously but it's not essential to the game. I got all the masks without it so it isn't needed for that side of the game. Can't remember if there's hidden grottos or something that might have heart pieces in which you might need rumble for.

Blizzard said:
Actually you may be right. I've never played either, so it could be I wasn't a fan of the cel-shaded stuff...

Hmm, can someone hint at how the Majora's Mask plot starts? If it sounds interesting and is cheap I might just go for it anyway, even though I'm only a lowly 33% Zelda fan.

Young Link and Epona are looking for Navi in the Lost Woods. A mysterious creature called the Skull Kid, wearing a mask and accompanied by two fairies, suddenly knocks Link out, steals the Ocarina of Time and Epona, and runs off. Link chases after him, only to fall down a long and seemingly bottomless hole. When he wakes up, Skull Kid transforms Link into a Deku Scrub.

Link, and one of the fairies left behind by the Skull Kid (Tatl), are left alone in a mysterious world called Termina, which is like an odd parallel version of Hyrule.

Oh yeah, and one more thing.

The moon will fall to the ground in three days, destroying Termina and killing everyone. And in the time it takes to read this post, a few hours have passed on the first day. Hurry up!

Top Bottom