• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Downloads - May 2009 (VC / WiiWare / DSiWare)

Crystal Defenders R2
Has anyone here beaten the last stage? I've seriously spent at least a half dozen hours playing this one and I've gotten pretty good at getting pretty far, but wave 34 kicks my ass. A lot of my earlier wave victories come from the help of time mages slowing things down to a crawl so the rest of my forces have plenty of time to beat on them. Then around comes magic-immune wave 34, and they just waltz on through.

American Popstar: Road to Celebrity
So I got through the rest of this. In the end I can't recommend it to a GAF audience. The music minigames aren't bad but neither good, and the three songs get old fast; this game definitely exceeds the amount of time a normal man can stand to listen to "Hey! You! I don't like your girlfriend! No! Way! Think you need a new one!"

Past that, it's way too linear. There's almost never any question of what to do; they put a big honking arrow to show you where to go. There's never much point in getting off the beaten path. At a few times you gain new ways to make money... but there's almost nothing to spend it on. A few new outfits (increasing your wardrobe by a fifthor so), and cheap gifts as one way to show affection. Making friends with people, which seemed like a big focus of the game, is also pretty pointless. Other than the few times when the game says you need a couple friends or puts a big arrow over someone you're supposed to cheer up, it really makes no difference whether someone doesn't know you at all or is your friend--and the higher levels like "best friend" and "family" seem even more pointless. The characters are just going to stand there, anyway, it's not like what they think of you is going to make a Sims or Fable-like difference.

The game also auto-saves every time you switch from one room to another. This involves watching a percentage bar on the bottom screen while the top screen gives you quotes from people like Leonardo DiCaprio, Miley Cyrus, Hillary Duff, Will Smith, and Madonna. There are a lot of quotes, but you'll save several times more than that.

It's plenty long, though. I don't know if I got an hour for every dollar I spent, but not far off. It's just that there's so little to the gameplay. Not that I'm even necessarily against something that's gameplay-lite, but if so I'd have more fun walking my character through it if it was a more interesting story than becoming a high school pop star.

Netto-kun

European VC/WW update:

Virtual Console
Space Harrier (Virtual Console Arcade) - 800 points

Wiiware
Fish'em All! - 800 points

Capndrake

And next month in Japan:

FC:
-Tantei Jinguuji Saburou: Toki no Sugiyuku Mama ni
-Final Fantasy II

SFC:
-Super Wagyan Land (June 2nd)
-Super Mario Kart

VCA:
-Altered Beast (June 2nd)
-Hopping Mappy (June 2nd)
-Golden Axe

Yes, just three systems :\

Somnid

Capndrake said:
And next month in Japan:

FC:
-Final Fantasy II

SFC:
-Super Mario Kart

VCA:
-Golden Axe

Not entirely surprising however before the GDC keynote speech they specifically kept the VCA games off the list. Should they choose to do something at E3 that list could change.

mclem

Capndrake said:
And next month in Japan:

FC:
-Final Fantasy II

SFC:
-Super Mario Kart

VCA:
-Golden Axe

Just to lend a little credence to the "well, there might be more at E3" comment above: There's five Tuesdays in June. If all the June 2nds are right, that's then four one-game weeks. That doesn't strike me as plausible (Okay, for *Japan* anyway)

Also: Super Mario Kart! Wooo!

Very tempted by Bubble Bobble Plus, the original was a favorite back in my Amiga days... anyone got any impressions of this version?

d+pad

I'm surprised more people haven't jumped on the fact that Super Mario Kart will soon be released on VC. Shouldn't that suggest other long-awaited games (Pilotwings, Yoshi's Island, etc.) may soon get release dates, too?

Anyway, I'm stoked...

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Gary Whitta said:
Very tempted by Bubble Bobble Plus, the original was a favorite back in my Amiga days... anyone got any impressions of this version?

Yeah, I was pretty disappointed with it but BB is my favourite game ever together with Pac-Man, so maybe that counts a bit and I still reckon it's worth 800 points.

Negatives:

Visually if you're going to play it on a HD-TV it looks atrocious.
480i and 4:3, plus the game has been developed to be originally rendered at 720p (the Xbox Live version is exactly the same game and graphics, 4:3 with wallpaper's borders) so that makes it look a super jaggy mess where you can't make out Bub and Bob's faces.

Seeing how good the 2D parts are (the items and Bub and Bob in the menu) makes you cry at why they didn't go that way, I mean to me even the original Master System's port looks way better so that speaks volumes I guess.

Another problem I have with the game is that there's no way to save-state or even continue later on with a password or something like you could in EVERY GODDAMNED PORT of BB ever. So you'll have to play all in one session.

Also, the bubbles go red way too soon and to have the same explosion's time of the arcade original you'll have to set for the easy settings and still you can't do that if you're going for leaderboards.

Positives:

It's Bubble Bobble.
Leaderboards.
When items are collected are then explained (like in BB Extreme and others) in a Pokemon-like box with how to make them appear and stuff.
100 new levels + reasonably priced (200 points) DLC for another 100 "super-hard" levels and 2 extra-extra hard modes available.
New gameplay possibilities (for example the platforms have diagonals and thus you can shoot diagonally) for the new levels and 4p co-op.

I'd give it:
7 out of ten,
and I'll explain it:
5 points are because it's BB, one because it's "only" 800 points and 1 more because there a 100 new levels with 4-p co-op.
If the game retained all of its visual charm (480p and 16:9 for the new levels would've been a bonus also) and you had a continue-later option I would've added 2 points, no shit.
So I guess it's at the very least half a point more for the upcoming Xbox Live version since in 720p it looks much better even if still not on par with the original, if they fix the "you have to play it all at once and can't even start from a level you've reached before" then think 8 or even 8.5 out of ten.

DarkWish

EDIT: Nevermind, I missed the earlier post.

Can anyone tell me what Mighty Flip Champs is like? I'm confused from what I've read of it.

RedBoot

I hope Mighty Flip Champs is 500 points, otherwise I'd have to buy more points for it. Still getting it regardless though.

sfog

ESRB updates:

UNO

Platform: Nintendo DSi

Rating: Everyone

Content descriptors: No Descriptors

Rating summary: "This is a card game in which players attempt to match cards in a "discard" pile with the cards in their own hand. The first player to get rid of all their cards is the winner."

Texas Hold'em Poker

Platform: Wii (I'm not totally sure whether this is WiiWare or retail though. Gameloft is the publisher.)

Rating: Teen

Content descriptors: Simulated Gambling

Rating summary: "This is a simulated gambling game in which players compete against others in Texas Hold'Em poker. Players can wager virtual money on poker hands as they compete through tournaments in different international cities. A game tutorial provides gambling advice and instructions to improve players' strategy. "

HB Arcade Cards

Platform: Wii

Rating: Everyone

Content descriptors: No Descriptors

Rating summary: "This is a collection of card games including Solitaire, Canasta, Hearts, Rummy, Cribbage, and Euchre. Each game features a detailed tutorial that demonstrates basic rules and strategies."

sfog said:
Texas Hold'em Poker

Platform: Wii (I'm not totally sure whether this is WiiWare or retail though. Gameloft is the publisher.)

AFAIK, Gameloft doesn't do retail publishing for any platform. So there's your answer.

Provider

Father_Brain said:
AFAIK, Gameloft doesn't do retail publishing for any platform. So there's your answer.

They announced a while ago they'd be publishing retail games; TV Show King Party for Wii is one.

So will FFIV have all the episodes from the get go to download or will they release them every month or so?? It better be the former or i'll hold off until all the episodes are released.

Volcynika

SilverLunar said:
So will FFIV have all the episodes from the get go to download or will they release them every month or so?? It better be the former or i'll hold off until all the episodes are released.

No one knows yet.

MoxManiac

My guess is they'll release the FF4 episodes one at a time.

And woo on Super Mario Kart! Although knowing NoA we probably won't get it until like 2010.

donny2112

Cosmonaut X said:
The June thread is going to go up soon. Just been a bit tied up today, or it would have gone up sooner.

June's a good month. I like June. I've got a lot of unused Wii/Nintendo Points. I hope the VC on the DSi includes NES and SNES games. :D

Somnid

For Japanese DSiWare:

Tantei Jinguuji Saburo: Tsubaki no Yukue & Nazo no Jikenbo (Arc System Works, 6/10/2009, 500points)

Top Bottom