• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Downloads - May 2009 (VC / WiiWare / DSiWare)

Shoogoo

VGChampion said:
You know, I can never understand why people want others to tell them what to buy. Only you know what you like so just browse around the store and if something catches your attention, buy it or look it up on that VC Reviews site.

As to PicotoBits, I picked it up when it came out and I still enjoy it. I played it more the first two days but it hasn't gotten old for myself.

I wouldn't ask this question if there were demos for them. Asking peoples advice on a freaking forum shouldn't pose any problems either, should it?

Shoogoo said:
I wouldn't ask this question if there were demos for them. Asking peoples advice on a freaking forum shouldn't pose any problems either, should it?

That's probably my biggest problem with the Wii. I'm reluctant to buy games like Excitebots or Madworld without trying them first and as for the VC games, I haven't played most of them so I have no idea if they're good or not. I have about 20 dollars in wii points right now and don't know what to spend them on.

lsslave

Jew Gamer
Legjend said:
I have 1400 wii points and I wanna spend them

so far I have

Ocarina of Time
Majora's Mask
A Link to the Past
Super Metroid
Paper Mario

Lost Winds
MLaaK
World of Goo
Defend Your Castle (only one i regret)

Its a terrible abomination isn't it?

I kind of regret getting Zelda 1 on VC, I didn't play it as a kid and it just seems so... alienating? I don't have any idea how to play it.

Crystal Defenders R1 is pretty fun, although once you get a thief it becomes TOO easy

Double Dragon on VC you can NEVER go wrong with either!

Adventure Island for WiiWare (US version) has one huge glaring flaw; when played in 4:3 mode the game fills up on the screen fine, except it's a little stretched out running on a widescreen TV. When played in 16:9 mode there are boarders that take up about HALF of the screen. Is anyone experiencing this same exact issue??

MoxManiac

ballerusk said:
Can I complain about what's taking so long with getting Earthbound to the VC or is that drama over?

Earthbound is never coming, ever.

So yeah, I have mixed feelings about the new Adenture Island.

It's pretty ugly to look at, but that's okay. It plays pretty smoothly.

But why does Master Higgins not run in place when he's standing still? WTF Hudson!

Why is the game so piss easy? Higgins used to be a one shot kill, now he can take hits and it barely scratches his meter.

Why the hell do they keep using the first Adventure Island as a base, and continue to ignore the amazing sequel that was II?

They seem to have added a lot more weapons at least.

bryehn

flamesofchaos said:
Adventure Island for WiiWare (US version) has one huge glaring flaw; when played in 4:3 mode the game fills up on the screen fine, except it's a little stretched out running on a widescreen TV. When played in 16:9 mode there are boarders that take up about HALF of the screen. Is anyone experiencing this same exact issue??

Looks fine for me. Well except the ugly graphics.

Really disappointed by AI in general. Feels slow, unresponsive and lacks the charm of the earlier games.

Ranger X

MoxManiac said:
Earthbound is never coming, ever.

So yeah, I have mixed feelings about the new Adenture Island.

It's pretty ugly to look at, but that's okay. It plays pretty smoothly.

But why does Master Higgins not run in place when he's standing still? WTF Hudson!

Why is the game so piss easy? Higgins used to be a one shot kill, now he can take hits and it barely scratches his meter.

Why the hell do they keep using the first Adventure Island as a base, and continue to ignore the amazing sequel that was II?

They seem to have added a lot more weapons at least.

Hmm, sound refreshing. I don't mind a little change to Adventure Island.

I'm really enjoying AI through the first world, sure it's not much to look at but it plays nice and smooth and the levels are packed with tons of secrets/bonus challenges/hidden content. Well worth the 8 bucks.

So I've been playing American Popstar: Road to Celebrity for a few hours. On Chapter 13 of... I don't know how many.

The game scared me at first. It's clearly going for a bit of a different target audience than us. :lol Once I got into the game (which forgets to capitalize the C in the DSi Menu), it starts up with the bad pop music which gets old pretty fast. Seems like there are 3 or 4 songs total, which they then reuse for different types of rhythm minigames at different difficulty levels.

The meat of the game is interacting with people. When you're near them a scrolling bar at the bottom says what they like, so you know which topics to choose to discuss to raise your friendship level. There are some pretty funny options that are among the random ones shown sometimes, like "Is Pluto a planet?" or "Did the Juice do it?" There are also clearly mean things to say and options like "Scare" them, but since it never told what the advantage to that is I haven't messed with it yet. The story-based jerk characters don't tend to let you interact with them in the normal ways anyway.

Walk around in a pleasant-looking sprite-based world interacting with people or things with either button or stylus control to raise your charisma, fame, and skills at various types of entertainment. Sometimes this just involves a several-second animation of them practicing with others, sometimes this involves going into one of the minigames. They're not exactly Ouendan, but mostly pretty harmless. The only one I have a problem with is the singing minigame. Bent lines meant to represent the sound waves show on screen, and then a vertical bar goes across the screen. You're supposed to trace the lines as the bar is going through them, but I have a hell of a time doing that. Trying to B on one song is the only thing I've had to repeat several times.

The chapters are pretty short and tend to involve some story-based task. Like one chapter is just you getting up and getting ready to go to school as the mom character acts as the beginning tutorial. Another is sneaking out of the dorm once you're on the American Popstar TV show.

I think the game has been toned down for this DS release. Well, either that or I have yet to get to the point where they allow certain actions. The IGN review of the mobile version says "The game also gives you enough leeway to experiment with different things and see what happens if you push boundaries. (Go ahead and kiss your mom on the mouth, pervert.)", but I have yet to see choices under Affection other than gifts or "Kiss on the cheek".

Not great, but some harmless fun so far. Already the most full-of-content DSiWare game I've played, and going by the IGN review (and areas on the map yet to be unlocked) it seems there's quite a bit more.
lsslave said:
Crystal Defenders R1 is pretty fun, although once you get a thief it becomes TOO easy
Crystal Defenders R2 gets quite tougher, since there are usually two entrances and exits. I've been putting a lot of time into this last unlockable stage, which has four corner areas--all acting as an entrance and an exit.

Legjend said:

so far I have

Ocarina of Time
Majora's Mask
A Link to the Past
Super Metroid
Paper Mario

Lost Winds
MLaaK
World of Goo

Get either Bit.Trip Beat (600p) or Swords & Soldiers (1000p). They are both good games.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
Shig said:
Sure didn't take long for NOA to forget about Virtual Console Arcade.
That sucks, I was hoping for a flood of arcade games. :-(

Clay Fighter is cool, I guess, but where's Earthworm Jim 2?

bryehn said:
Looks fine for me. Well except the ugly graphics.

Really disappointed by AI in general. Feels slow, unresponsive and lacks the charm of the earlier games.

Is your Wii set up on 4:3 or 16:9? If your Wii is set on 16:9 Adventure Island for WiiWare has HUGE boarders.

Shoogoo said:

No no no, I didn't mean it anyway like that. Maybe it's just me though. I just really only trust my judgment when it comes to games most of the time. Even if someone recommended a game to me, I'd be pretty hesitant just because I have an idea if I'd like it or not.

Demos would be a godsend though. Hopefully the next online service has them because I just couldn't see them implementing them on their current service. :(

MoxManiac

flamesofchaos said:
Is your Wii set up on 4:3 or 16:9? If your Wii is set on 16:9 Adventure Island for WiiWare has HUGE boarders.

My guess would be that AI doesn't support a true 16:9 playfield, like MM9.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
Legjend said:

so far I have

Ocarina of Time
Majora's Mask
A Link to the Past
Super Metroid
Paper Mario

Lost Winds
MLaaK
World of Goo
If you throw a lot of parties, Target Toss Pro: Bags is quite fun. :D

Shoogoo

VGChampion said:
No no no, I didn't mean it anyway like that. Maybe it's just me though. I just really only trust my judgment when it comes to games most of the time. Even if someone recommended a game to me, I'd be pretty hesitant just because I have an idea if I'd like it or not.

Demos would be a godsend though. Hopefully the next online service has them because I just couldn't see them implementing them on their current service. :(

Ok :) but it's kind of hard to judge a game based on reviews. Talking of reviews I always check giantbomb, Edge, Gamekult and Metacritic. But what definitely sells the game is the demo. It's obviously one of the best thing this gen and without a demo you'll always see me lurking around to ask people's advice. I guess I need another source than just reviews from the web :lol .

zigg

Shoogoo said:
Does PictoBits gets old after a while? I'm about to buy it but it's more because I still didn't find anything worthy on DSiWare. I read positive reviews but those were right after it released. How do you feel it after a week or so?

Got several hours out of it myself. I think I'm finally winding down now because I'm not really getting good enough to tackle some of the higher-level dark challenges. I did have a ton of fun getting all the Starmen on the light levels. I would like to at least unlock that last track on the soundtrack's "+" remix, then I think I'll leave it be. (Shame there's no endless mode, actually!)

Easily worth the 500, and I personally waited till last Friday to review it, because I thought it needed to be played through.

Milabrega

Clayfighter's a great game but not worth the double dip when I have the cart of the superior (SNES) version. I wish they would release the 63 1/3 Blockbuster edition on the VC that had the 4 characters that weren't in the retail release cart.

Any impression for Bubble Bobble Plus, and would ya recommend it to someone who hasn't played any Bubble Bobble game?

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
New ESRB Ratings:

SUDOKU MASTER

Platform: Nintendo DSi

Rating: Everyone

Content descriptors: No Descriptors

Rating summary: "This is a puzzle game in which players assign numbers to a grid to solve various mathematical sequences. The game includes a tutorial mode that instructs players and provides strategies on how to solve the puzzles. "

SUDOKU STUDENT

Platform: Nintendo DSi

Rating: Everyone

Content descriptors: No Descriptors

Rating summary: "This is a puzzle game in which players assign numbers to a grid to solve various mathematical sequences. The game includes a tutorial mode that instructs players and provides strategies on how to solve the puzzles. "

zigg

Shard said:
New ESRB Ratings:

SUDOKU MASTER

SUDOKU STUDENT

Hudson, eh? I wonder if it's based off the Sudoku Gridmaster engine. That's not a bad thing, but I was really hoping Nintendo in all their reselling-parts-of-existing-games wisdom would realize that a really awesome thing to do would be to take the Sudoku engine out of Brain Age and sell puzzle packs for 200 points or something. I would so be there (provided they weren't the same puzzle packs as Brain Age came with, of course.)

Somnid

zigg said:
Hudson, eh? I wonder if it's based off the Sudoku Gridmaster engine. That's not a bad thing, but I was really hoping Nintendo in all their reselling-parts-of-existing-games wisdom would realize that a really awesome thing to do would be to take the Sudoku engine out of Brain Age and sell puzzle packs for 200 points or something. I would so be there (provided they weren't the same puzzle packs as Brain Age came with, of course.)

Already available in Japan.

zigg

Somnid said:
Already available in Japan.

Ah, I really hadn't been following Japan's releases religiously, so I didn't know this. But yeah, it seems like they've got both Nintendo's (500 points for 200 puzzles) and Hudson's ("Student" probably 200 for 50 and "Master" likely 500 for 150). And the Hudson release does look Gridmaster-y.

I'll hold off for the Nintendo release, I think.

donny2112

Mockingbird said:
Photo Clock (Nintendo, 1 player, 200 Nintendo DSi Points): Photo Clock allows you to enjoy the photos taken with your Nintendo DSi Camera application in a new way. Watch your images appear on the top screen of your Nintendo DSi system according to your chosen display settings (specific photos or all photos; in order or randomly displayed). Select from either an analog or digital clock, using the system's internal clock or offsetting the time however you like. Program up to three alarms ・with snooze functionality for those who need it ・and assign them a preset ring or use a sound created in Nintendo DSi Sound. Experience all the enjoyment of a photo album while ensuring you won't lose track of the time.

As someone who almost always used the alarm on the regular DS, I think I'm finally getting why Nintendo is releasing clocks on DSiWare: Nintendo broke the alarm on the DSi.

On the DS, you could touch the screen as a snooze button for five minutes at a time up to one hour. On the DSi, touching the screen turns off the alarm. This is a terrible change for obvious reasons.

Has anyone downloaded this, the AC clock, or any other clock on the DSi and can describe how its snooze function works. Can you just touch the screen to snooze like on the DS? Thanks. :)

Edit:
Okay, I confirmed that you can touch the screen to activate the snooze function. Does the alarm still go off if the DSi is closed to put it into sleep mode?

TheGrue

donny2112 said:
Does the alarm still go off if the DSi is closed to put it into sleep mode?

Yes and in fact it has its own volume control, so you can have the volume of the DSi turned off and you will still hear the AC clock alarm. I am really glad I got the AC alarm clock. It has 3 programmable alarms, has its own time zone offset, and allows you to make your own wake up song. Reviewers slammed it saying we already had a free alarm clock, but I think this one is much better.

donny2112

DiscoJason said:
Yes and in fact it has its own volume control, so you can have the volume of the DSi turned off and you will still hear the AC clock alarm.

Great! This'll be my next DSi purchase. :D

DiscoJason said:
Reviewers slammed it saying we already had a free alarm clock, but I think this one is much better.

The one built-in to the DSi is broken, in my opinion. This essentially is paying to add back in the functionality that the original DS already had but with an AC theme or personal pitures. Since they give us 1000 points to start with, I'm okay with it, though. Thanks for answering my question. :)

TheGrue

donny2112 said:
This essentially is paying to add back in the functionality that the original DS already had but with an AC theme or personal pitures. Since they give us 1000 points to start with, I'm okay with it, though. Thanks for answering my question. :)

Yeah, but I think they actually give more functionality than even the DS alarm clock (time zone offset, volume control, etc.).

donny2112

DiscoJason said:
Yeah, but I think they actually give more functionality than even the DS alarm clock (time zone offset, volume control, etc.).

Yep. The original DS just used the system clock (no time zone offset), and the volume was whatever the DS's volume was (no separate volume control).

Shoogoo

So I decided to catch up with all the WiiWare gems and digged for all my codes I got with the games since the Gamecube/gba era to later exchange them for Wii points. To my surprise Resident Evil 4's code didn't work. Are those codes perishable?

Updated the OP:

• Added the Demae Channel
  • Added the new ESRB ratings
  • Added Toribash under WiiWare announcements (I know it's a bit old!)
  • Added Go! Go! Rescue Squad under WiiWare announcements
  • Added Ghostwire to DSiWare announcements
  • Added Manic Monkey Mayhem to WiiWare/DSiWare announcements

Thanks Shard et al.

I went back and played some more LostWinds the other day and finally found all the little collectible statues. And I didn't get anything for it. Which was lame.

IGN's Adventure Island review: http://wii.ign.com/articles/986/986237p1.html
6.5 Presentation
Adventure Island is back, but with subdued fanfare. Cutscenes are simple, menus and options fair, but not very robust.
6.0 Graphics
It's a 3D update of Adventure Island, but one that doesn't push any visual envelope. No widescreen support, and some uninteresting backgrounds and character models.
6.5 Sound
It's back to the tropics, and the sound is suitable for the series. A greater quantity of music could have helped, though, as some tunes are reused a bit too much.
7.0 Gameplay
Higgins is still hungry. AI:TB offers tension-fueled platforming that feels in line with its franchise, and updates its core concept a bit. The control could have been tuned tighter, though.
7.0 Lasting Appeal
Four regions with four stages apiece, four mini-games, and sixteen Achievement-like Feats that unlock alternate color costumes for Master Higgins. Wi-Fi leaderboards for high scores.
Decent OVERALL
(out of 10 / not an average)

I thought they were a little harsh on it, they were right that the presentation could have used more effort but the gameplay is still extremely solid. I'd give it at least an 8, it's a much better effort than Bubble Bobble Plus based on what I've played of it.

Balb

Shoogoo said:
So I decided to catch up with all the WiiWare gems and digged for all my codes I got with the games since the Gamecube/gba era to later exchange them for Wii points. To my surprise Resident Evil 4's code didn't work. Are those codes perishable?

RE4 was never eligible to register on Nintendo.com as far as I know. With the exception of VC/WiiWare titles, only first-party Nintendo titles are eligible to register on Club Nintendo.

Shoogoo

Balb said:
RE4 was never eligible to register on Nintendo.com as far as I know. With the exception of VC/WiiWare titles, only first-party Nintendo titles are eligible to register on Club Nintendo.

No I think that's incorrect. Re4 Wii, Naruto and various Phoenix Wright codes worked just fine :/

Anyway, I have two Mario Kart DS and 2 Zelda TP codes and you can only register one game of each, so if anybody of you has two codes, I'd be glad to trade them. PM me if interested :)

Capndrake

Shoogoo said:
If you live in Europe, you can no longer register GC/GBA games as of a few months ago.

Shoogoo

Capndrake said:
If you live in Europe, you can no longer register GC/GBA games as of a few months ago.

A few of the GC games worked, that's why I'm lost :/ . Maybe Naruto is a very late game and thus the code is still working? I don't know, that game isn't mine.

Thanks for the info though, how can something virtual perish is beyond me. And my brother told me that stars can perish too?

Capndrake

Shoogoo said:
A few of the GC games worked, that's why I'm lost :/ . Maybe Naruto is a very late game and thus the code is still working? I don't know, that game isn't mine.

Thanks for the info though, how can something virtual perish is beyond me. And my brother told me that stars can perish too?
I think unused stars disappear after 2 years. You automatically use your oldest stars when buying stuff though, so it shouldn't really matter.

Shoogoo

Capndrake said:
I think unused stars disappear after 2 years. You automatically use your oldest stars when buying stuff though, so it shouldn't really matter.

2 years is more than I need. Thanks :)

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Fish'em All!

Press Release PROVIDED BY GAMES PRESS

Please download videos and screenshots from www.fishemall.com

Art work and other stuff can be downloaded from www.gamespress.com

Abylight is pleased to announce the release of its game Fish'em All!™ next Friday 29th, for the European zone.

American release is to be announced.

“Fish'em All! ™”, an arcade game with real coin-op flavour!

Alone or with your friends, you will have a great time catching these little fish... they're crazy! Beat your own high scores, take on challenges and solve fun puzzles in a range of amazing stages full of colour and fantasy. Watch out for the dragon, the ninja rat and the sumo toad!

Do you think it looks easy?

This arcade game will bring all the excitement of the great classics to your Wii™ console.

Features:

Nine colourful scenarios.

Three game modes: Arcade, Challenge, Fishtris.

One or two players.

Arcade

Can you beat the high score? Play a game in Arcade mode to see how long you can last. Catch as many fish as you can within a time limit. Watch the fish meter. The more points you score catching fish, the faster it will fill up. Each time you manage to fill a whole fish on the meter, you will receive extra time. If you manage to fill them all, you will move on to the next stage.

Challenge

Complete the challenges to unlock stages. You can then select any unlocked stage to play in two player mode.

Each challenge sets you a target. Note how many fish of each colour you need to catch. Sometimes, it will tell you which items you need to avoid or set a time limit.

Fishtris

Even more difficult!

Every time you catch a fish, it will fall into the tube. If the tube fills up, the game will end. To keep on playing, match three or more fish of the same colour to make them disappear.

When you match three or more fish of the same colour, the fish meter will be slightly filled. When you manage to fill a whole fish on the meter, you will receive extra time. If you manage to fill them all, you will move on to the next stage. If things get tough, try and catch the Anglerfish.

It will eat all the fish in the tube.

Top Bottom