• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Downloads - May 2009 (VC / WiiWare / DSiWare)

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
art style are out of this world. i feel like a subject to an alien experiment.

send moar!

ps: i can't believe i got two such masterpieces for free.

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
Hey guys, I'm gonna be rebuying a Wii fairly soon and I would like to know if there was a consensus as to what the top WiiWare games are. I am not interested in anything multiplatform (so no World of Goo, Strong Bad or Megaman 9) because I've probably already played it. :p I was browsing IGN and Tetris Party, Swords and Soldiers, Art Style: Orbient and Toki Tori all look pretty good.

Hoping that Nintendo slowed the VC releases to a crawl to screw with NA Majora's Mask fans and this week they're doing 3-5 games.

I'm also hoping to be struck by a lightning bolt made out of $1,000 bills.

Course what better way to celebrate Memorial Day than with No Games? At least it'd give me time to work on that Zelda 1 piece for my blog. Aside from that I just started the Second Quest and holy crap I can't remember where ANYTHING is(don't tell me where anything is btw I'm trying to do this on my own).

Also I bought another Genesis cause it looks like Konami is giving VC fans the finger by not releasing Bloodlines, Hard Corps, and Rocket Knight Adventures(Not to mention the dozens of other games -- many of which I own -- that will never get a VC release ever..like Shadowrun which I just bought as well).

Sega needs to release Pulseman NA already as well. Slap "From the makers of Pokemon!" on it and I'm sure somebody will buy it.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
Stumpokapow said:
Note: When you switch the battery out, you will 100% lose the saves that are currently on the cart. This is instantaneous and guaranteed. The second you remove the battery, your saves are gone.

1) If it's for the SNES, there IS a device out there that allowed you to duplicate SNES save files. Game Saver +, by Naki. Not that that helps much, unless you have one in storage (like me).

2) In THEORY, you might be able to keep your saves if you could somehow swap the batteries while the cart was plugged in and running... in theory.

Meesh

Stumpokapow said:
It's actually quite easy, yes.

It depends on the console, but in general all you need to do is open the cart (so you need an appropriate screw driver for the console--SNES uses the "GameBit" screwdriver bit), and switch out the battery (almost all carts use some easily available battery like a CR2032 or CR2025 or whatever; you can go to Radio Shack to get these).

The only tough part is that many or most consoles have soldered in batteries on the carts, so you'll need to vacuum desolder and resolder the new batteries. If you've never soldered before, I recommend practicing a little bit first or getting someone who can. The soldering is exceptionally easy, so anyone with even basic soldering experience can do it.

Note: When you switch the battery out, you will 100% lose the saves that are currently on the cart. This is instantaneous and guaranteed. The second you remove the battery, your saves are gone.

I have no speakers right now to make sure, but this tutorial seems to be an accurate depiction of how it works on the SNES.

Cool, thanks...I almost want to collect those old gems again :D

Wtf, why did no one post the PR yet?

NINTENDO DOWNLOAD: POP-POWERED ADVENTURES BUBBLE UP THROUGH THE CLAY

May 25, 2009

With summer just around the corner, this Monday finds an especially hot mix of downloadable game offerings for the WiiWare・and Nintendo DSiWare・services, as well as for the Virtual Console・ Nintendo DSi・users can become world-famous pop stars or use a new photo application to view their pictures in interesting new ways. Wii・owners can transform into bubble-bursting dragons or hunt for melons on a mysterious island. And be sure to check out this week's Virtual Console debut, which features clay figures and stop-action animation to create a comedic twist to the street fighting genre.

Nintendo DSiWare

American Popstar: Road to Celebrity (Gameloft, 1-4 players, Rated E for Everyone ・Comic Mischief, 800 Nintendo DSi Points・: This is your enthralling and interactive success story as a young hopeful in the music milieu. The adventure begins when you get the chance to audition at your Hollywood high school. But the road to celebrity isn't an easy one: Your secret crush is also auditioning, and so is your evil rival. This unique mix of music-themed gaming and social adventure will let you show your talents to the world, take your best photo with the Nintendo DSi system's built-in camera and meet lots of people who may help you build your career. You're about to become the greatest pop star in the world. Talk, share activities and be friendly or unfriendly with numerous characters. Customize your character's name and appearance, and develop skills and personality through your actions. Four musical mini-games include Guitar, Singing, Drums and Dance. Record your voice, take your own photos and sign autographs.

Photo Clock (Nintendo, 1 player, 200 Nintendo DSi Points): Photo Clock allows you to enjoy the photos taken with your Nintendo DSi Camera application in a new way. Watch your images appear on the top screen of your Nintendo DSi system according to your chosen display settings (specific photos or all photos; in order or randomly displayed). Select from either an analog or digital clock, using the system's internal clock or offsetting the time however you like. Program up to three alarms ・with snooze functionality for those who need it ・and assign them a preset ring or use a sound created in Nintendo DSi Sound. Experience all the enjoyment of a photo album while ensuring you won't lose track of the time.

WiiWare

BUBBLE BOBBLE Plus! (TAITO, 1-4 players, Rated E for Everyone ・Comic Mischief, 600 Wii Points・: BUBBLE BOBBLE Plus! is a simple yet exhilarating action game where you control the bubble-blowing dragons Bub and Bob, trapping enemies in bubbles and then popping them. You can play all 100 of the Standard Mode rounds, which faithfully recreate the nostalgic arcade game, or try 100 new Arrange Mode rounds, which allow up to four players to play on stages with exciting new features such as new enemies and stage layouts. There are also Super Mode rounds for you to enjoy. Determine the true ending by solving puzzles hidden on each stage to defeat the final boss. In Ranking Mode, players with broadband Internet access can use the Nintendoョ Wi-Fi Connection service to compete with players from around the world. Enjoy an additional 100 rounds and face off against new boss characters by purchasing 摘xpert Mode 1・and 摘xpert Mode 2・add-on content.

ADVENTURE ISLANDョ The Beginning (Hudson Entertainment, 1-2 players, Rated E for Everyone ・Cartoon Violence and Comic Mischief, 800 Wii Points): ADVENTURE ISLAND The Beginning comes to the Wii console with exciting new skills and elements. Learn how to use new skills while exploring Adventure Island from coast to coast. Search for Golden Melons hidden throughout the stages and mini-games. When obtaining Golden Melons, you'll be able to purchase various items to help you on your adventure. These items can increase your attack power or enable you to reach places you couldn't get to before. Fulfill certain requirements while playing in any of the modes to achieve a 溺aster Higgins Feat・and you'll be awarded a Master Higgins costume.

Virtual Console

Clay Fighter・/B> (Sega Genesis, 1-2 players, Rated T for Teen ・Comic Mischief and Mild Cartoon Violence, 800 Wii Points): In this zany 2-D fighter, it's just another day for a humble traveling circus troupe when a meteor crash-lands in their camp. The otherworldly orb, made entirely out of interstellar clay, contaminates all the circus employees, turning them into bizarrely superpowered versions of themselves. Choose from among the unique clay creatures, such as Bonker, the cheerfully manic clown, or Blue Suede Goo, the mild-mannered Elvis impersonator turned violent vocalist. Master their 鼎laytalities,・like the operatic Helga's deadly high note and Bad Mr. Frosty's fists of snowball fury!

Nintendo adds new titles to the Nintendo DSi Shop・and the Wii・Shop Channel at 9 a.m. Pacific time on Mondays. Users with broadband Internet access can redeem Wii Points or Nintendo DSi Points to download the games. Wii Points can be purchased in the Wii Shop Channel. Nintendo DSi Points can be purchased in the Nintendo DSi Shop. A Nintendo Points Card・can be purchased at retail locations. All points from one Nintendo Points Card must be redeemed in either the Nintendo DSi Shop or the Wii Shop Channel. They are not transferable and cannot be divided between the two systems.

Remember that both Wii and Nintendo DSi feature parental controls that let adults manage the content their children can access. For more information about this and other features, visit Wii.com or NintendoDSi.com.

Somnid

I think they heard all of that whining about the last clock, this is one of the biggest releases ever because the clock is now an extra release.

OK, OP updated with the PR and new releases. I've also struck off the new releases from the ESRB listings.

Interesting to note that quite a number of new releases aren't appearing on the ESRB prior to release, while there are quite a number rated well, well in advance of release...

Mockingbird said:
WiiWare

BUBBLE BOBBLE Plus! (TAITO, 1-4 players, Rated E for Everyone ・Comic Mischief, 600 Wii Points・: BUBBLE BOBBLE Plus! is a simple yet exhilarating action game where you control the bubble-blowing dragons Bub and Bob, trapping enemies in bubbles and then popping them. You can play all 100 of the Standard Mode rounds, which faithfully recreate the nostalgic arcade game, or try 100 new Arrange Mode rounds, which allow up to four players to play on stages with exciting new features such as new enemies and stage layouts. There are also Super Mode rounds for you to enjoy. Determine the true ending by solving puzzles hidden on each stage to defeat the final boss. In Ranking Mode, players with broadband Internet access can use the Nintendoョ Wi-Fi Connection service to compete with players from around the world. Enjoy an additional 100 rounds and face off against new boss characters by purchasing 摘xpert Mode 1・and 摘xpert Mode 2・add-on content.

ADVENTURE ISLANDョ The Beginning (Hudson Entertainment, 1-2 players, Rated E for Everyone ・Cartoon Violence and Comic Mischief, 800 Wii Points): ADVENTURE ISLAND The Beginning comes to the Wii console with exciting new skills and elements. Learn how to use new skills while exploring Adventure Island from coast to coast. Search for Golden Melons hidden throughout the stages and mini-games. When obtaining Golden Melons, you'll be able to purchase various items to help you on your adventure. These items can increase your attack power or enable you to reach places you couldn't get to before. Fulfill certain requirements while playing in any of the modes to achieve a 溺aster Higgins Feat・and you'll be awarded a Master Higgins costume.
'Bout friggin time.

Is there any chance of Mr. Driller World showing up here (or at least Europe)? That's only been out for like 3 months now.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Bubble Bobble Plus will be mine.

MarkusRJR

Archie said:
Hey guys, I'm gonna be rebuying a Wii fairly soon and I would like to know if there was a consensus as to what the top WiiWare games are. I am not interested in anything multiplatform (so no World of Goo, Strong Bad or Megaman 9) because I've probably already played it. :p I was browsing IGN and Tetris Party, Swords and Soldiers, Art Style: Orbient and Toki Tori all look pretty good.
LostWinds is my favourite WiiWare game to be honest. It's really slow paced (and kinda short) but it's really enjoyable if you're into that kind of thing. (It was my GOTY for 2008)

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Archie said:

i'd buy on a new wii without hesitation:

lost winds
toki tori
art style: *
bit trip *
swords & soldiers
ffcc: mlaak
lit
star soldier r (if you're into competitive shmups)

So I don't exactly trust Gameloft for high quality, but since there are so few meaty 800 point DSiWare games I looked up American Popstar: Road to Celebrity. Didn't find it on GameRankings; but IGN gave it a 9.0 and awarded it best mobile story of 2007, so someone likes it. Most other search results I checked were just aggregators linking back to IGN's review.

Hobbun

Cosmonaut X said:
Because he's not? PAL regions paid more for these titles and the US is getting them at a reduced price.

Oh, right. Missed "you guys" in his post.

Sorry you didn't get the discount as well.

Really good Wiiware week. That's awesome to see. I'm mostly interested in Bubble Bobble, but I'll probably pick up both somewhere down the line.

Never was interested in Clay Fighter, even when I was a kid. So, I don't really know where it sits on the scale of quality releases.

Hobbun

There used to be a great VC reviews website. I thought it was: www.vc-reviews.com

But the link is dead. Did they move (hopefully)?

Edit: Nevermind. When I tried the link on my bookmarks, it didn't find it. But when I just clicked the link in my post, it redirected me another URL. Must have changed the URL.

Tiktaalik

JoshuaJSlone said:
So I don't exactly trust Gameloft for high quality, but since there are so few meaty 800 point DSiWare games I looked up American Popstar: Road to Celebrity. Didn't find it on GameRankings; but IGN gave it a 9.0 and awarded it best mobile story of 2007, so someone likes it. Most other search results I checked were just aggregators linking back to IGN's review.

Yeah this is the sort of game where a demo is really necessary. I'm actually a bit curious about the game because it seems to use so many of the DSi's unique features, but without trying it out there's no way I'd ever buy it.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Well I'm glad I held on to my spare 500 points from launch, Pictopict is great fun, even if it can infuriate me sometimes.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Arkanoid Plus! Goes Live On WiiWare

http://www.gamerbytes.com/2009/05/arkanoid_plus_goes_live_on_wii.php

Fresh from the release of Arkanoid Live! on Xbox Live Arcade, Taito have revealed Arkanoid Plus! for WiiWare.

The game appears to be exactly like the Xbox Live Arcade version - 62 different levels across 2 episodes, Vs. modes and cooperative play and the ability to download more episodes through DLC.

It appears that almost all of Taito's titles have now made their way to Xbox Live Arcade and WiiWare - the exceptions being the EXIT series being on XBLA and each service having a respective Space Invaders title. Taito has been a large contributor to the PlayStation Network's list of PSOne classics in Japan but has yet to release anything stateside.

Now that the standard set of Taito classics have been revitalized for digital download it'll be interesting to see if they dig down a little deeper into something more obscure - Darius perhaps? RayForce? New Zealand Story? Or even maybe, just maybe, something new?

Arkanoid Plus! will be released in Japan in a days time, I would expect it to be released sometime this year.

Capndrake

Hobbun said:
There used to be a great VC reviews website. I thought it was: www.vc-reviews.com

But the link is dead. Did they move (hopefully)?

Edit: Nevermind. When I tried the link on my bookmarks, it didn't find it. But when I just clicked the link in my post, it redirected me another URL. Must have changed the URL.
Yeah, we decided to combine our VC, WiiWare and Wii/DS sites into one and add DSiWare as well. Having a seperate site for everything was a bit stupid.

Tiktaalik said:
Yeah this is the sort of game where a demo is really necessary. I'm actually a bit curious about the game because it seems to use so many of the DSi's unique features, but without trying it out there's no way I'd ever buy it.
Well, a fool and his money are soon parted. I think I'll give it a try.

Hobbun

Capndrake said:
Yeah, we decided to combine our VC, WiiWare and Wii/DS sites into one and add DSiWare as well. Having a seperate site for everything was a bit stupid.

Oh, you work on the site, Capndrake? It's really helpful, thanks. :)

bryehn said:
Bubble Bobble is coming to XBLA too right?

If so, I'll grab Adventure Island today and wait it out.
XBLA version is $10, Wii version is $6. Might as well go with the Wii version.

You're the guy that doesn't like using the Wii Remote sideways, right? It supports the classic controller, so no problem there.

Marvie_3

Banned
nincompoop said:
XBLA version is $10, Wii version is $6. Might as well go with the Wii version.

You're the guy that doesn't like using the Wii Remote sideways, right? It supports the classic controller, so no problem there.
Any chance they're adding online co-op to the XBLA version?

Shoogoo

Does PictoBits gets old after a while? I'm about to buy it but it's more because I still didn't find anything worthy on DSiWare. I read positive reviews but those were right after it released. How do you feel it after a week or so?

I have 1400 wii points and I wanna spend them

so far I have

Ocarina of Time
Majora's Mask
A Link to the Past
Super Metroid
Paper Mario

Lost Winds
MLaaK
World of Goo
Defend Your Castle (only one i regret)

You know, I can never understand why people want others to tell them what to buy. Only you know what you like so just browse around the store and if something catches your attention, buy it or look it up on that VC Reviews site.

As to PicotoBits, I picked it up when it came out and I still enjoy it. I played it more the first two days but it hasn't gotten old for myself.

Top Bottom