• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Downloads - May 2009 (VC / WiiWare / DSiWare)

Somnid

Never understood why people care so much about VC release dates. As if being 6 weeks late matters when the game has been out there for nearly 10 years.

I remember when it was first announced it seemed like the Wii version of Crystal defenders was going to be a downgrade/ripoff compared to the other ones, with significantly fewer levels. Did that end up being the case?

Capndrake

leroy hacker said:
I remember when it was first announced it seemed like the Wii version of Crystal defenders was going to be a downgrade/ripoff compared to the other ones, with significantly fewer levels. Did that end up being the case?
Yes, I believe the other versions have hundreds of levels while each WiiWare release only has about 15. It's also missing some unit types.

Somnid said:
Never understood why people care so much about VC release dates. As if being 6 weeks late matters when the game has been out there for nearly 10 years.
You know why. People want there games and they want them now. Sure, there's Ebay and used game stores, which is the route I've grown fond of, but some people don't want to bring out the old consoles.

We love to bitch.

Somnid

crowphoenix said:
You know why. People want there games and they want them now. Sure, there's Ebay and used game stores, which is the route I've grown fond of, but some people don't want to bring out the old consoles.

We love to bitch.

Most won't even buy it, the rest already own it. The ones who haven't played it missed it (more accurately avoided it), and those are few and far between. It's been pretty well established that even good games on VC are completely overlooked because if it ain't Nintendo then it's just Nintendo stalling for time.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
this is hilarious. I am actually DISAPPOINTED!!! BAHHHH!!! Was REALLY hoping for Swords & Soldiers. Will obviously pick up MM.

And officially Square... Fuck You. I am not paying 3 times the motherfucking price for Crystal Defenders on the Wii. And to anyone else in this thread unaware.... you can get Crystal Defenders on XBLA and AppStore for $10 which contains R1, R2, and presumably what will be R3... let me say that again, for what will cost you twenty motherfucking dollars on Wii you can pick up the exact same thing on XBLA and AppStore for $10. Same game. Same graphics. Same levels. Same everything. For $10. Not $30. Fuck you Square.

Capndrake said:
Yes, I believe the other versions have hundreds of levels while each WiiWare release only has about 15. It's also missing some unit types.
no, it's not that bad (and I would say if it was). The other versions (you know, for $10 total) have 45 levels. Each Wii episode has 15 levels. So presumably once they release R3 the Wii version will be complete (and $14 more). The "missing" unit I believe will be present in R2. The unit IIRC was supposedly not in the combined game until later levels so there was no reason for it to be in R1.. or something like that.

pakkit

Banned
borghe said:
this is hilarious. I am actually DISAPPOINTED!!! BAHHHH!!! Was REALLY hoping for Swords & Soldiers. Will obviously pick up MM.
IGN confirmed that it wasn't going to be here this week, so I didn't let it get to me. We'll be playing it (and Cave Story) soon enough.

Davey Cakes

JodyAnthony said:
I'll probably get everything except the Crystal Defenders game
Yeah, I heard it was garbage.

But I'll definitely pick up Majora's Mask. I already beat it, but my brother hasn't (he tried to play the GC version and it kept freezing on him), and I REALLY want him to.

borghe

Rash said:
Yeah, I heard it was garbage.
to be fair, it's not garbage. the gameplay is pretty good (if not a bit standard) and on wii especially the graphics are actually really good (for pixel art). the only problem with the Wii version being the pricing/release model. if you have a 360 or iphone/ipod you can get the game for less than half the price of the Wii version.

edit - ironically had the Wii version done ANYTHING to enhance the game it "could have" been worth it. No pointer controls? No DLC? No FFCCMLAAK integration? There is seriously nothing to justify the price difference whatsoever. As in not "not enough", but NOTHING.

Somnid said:

Speaking for myself, I usually don't care too much, as I have all the old systems still hooked up and use them regularly. But that's not true of most people, and besides, it's Nintendo who thought up the VC and is now doing a poor job of catering to the audience there. That SNES library is pathetic.

Anyway, in this particular case, I've been looking forward to MM for a while, because the resolution upgrade makes a big difference in N64 games, and the Gamecube release is a bit iffy (as has been noted).

borghe

also the 360 game doesn't have "hundreds of levels". It has 12 maps and each map has 30 waves of monsters. Not sure about WiiWare though I do know R1 had 7 maps and R2 has 9 maps (half are new). So we're up to 16 total maps so far.

Owensboro

Awesome! I've been waiting for MM to actually get released. Now I can actually go back and play this one, as I just kind of skipped it in the N64 era. Well, by "skipped" I mean: "got way too frustrated getting to the first dungeon, and after getting there played the 'reset the clock' song only to get teleported back to the town and then quit playing because I didn't want to go all the way back to the dungeon."

Now I just have to wait for my Wii to get back from Nintendo repairs. Siiigh.

Chairhome

Any impressions of PictoBits? I'm interested, but I bought Aquaria because a lot of people said it was good, but I didn't really get into it.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Cheesemeister said:
Sounds like I'm also right on the money. Prove me wrong. I'll challenge you to a 2-week ban.
I'm glad we didn't bet since, contrary to what I posted earlier, I actually like you. ;)

Now that there are 300 VC games out there Nintendo has to go back to more than 1 per week again. :(

Vexidus

Nice update this week, and I'm particularly excited about the Art Style game for DSi, will get that for sure! Please keep this up Nintendo!

Fuzzy said:
Now that there are 300 VC games out there Nintendo has to go back to more than 1 per week again. :(
No way, you're going to have to wait 100 more weeks to get another great game. ;)

Cool about Majoras Mask. One of the Zeldas I never got to play and will be getting it once I'm done with Rune Factory Fron. I wonder when Smash is going up.

Crystal Defenders has me worried about how Square will price FF4-2.

PacoDG

Still no rumble in VC titles?

Does any of Majora's Mask items use the rumble?

I'm considering buying, this was one of the Zelda titles I for whatever reason, never go to play.

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
For all the people that constantly whined about getting a "LOL DARK MATOOR ZELDA" during the Wind Waker days, it seems like everybody ignored the one Zelda game that was actually close to being dark and mature. SO PLAY IT NOW YOU SCUM BAGS.

JaseMath

I'm going to pass on MM, but to all those who haven't played it, have fun! I guess we'll have to suffer through 12 more Mondays of garbage before something decent comes up again.

Captain N said:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=15886696&postcount=427

What about that? good thing that ban bet didn't go through.

Sometimes one just has to be antagonizingly pessimistic. Of course we were going to get Majora for the 300th today.

Fuzzy said:
I'm glad we didn't bet since, contrary to what I posted earlier, I actually like you. ;)

Haha, that was your call. I really wouldn't have minded, as I would've been back in time for E3 anyway. Oh, well. Do enjoy the game.

Fuzzy

BrandNew said:
MAJORA'S MASK *swooon*

Gonna try and get it today, and hopefully it's bug free.
I'm curious about this. I'm currently updating my Wii so I can actually download it and would like people with a NTSC-U Wii to compare the VC version to the GCN version. Thanks.

Just realized that 2000 points cards are 20% off today at BestBuy.ca. $16 CAD + tax is a pretty good deal!

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Okay, I added a thousand points to my account. This is the first time I'm gonna buy a Virtual Console release on day one.

Better be bug-free, Nintendo!

borghe

Fuzzy said:
I'm curious about this. I'm currently updating my Wii so I can actually download it and would like people with a NTSC-U Wii to compare the VC version to the GCN version. Thanks.
I thought this was done months ago on the JPN and PAL versions. Thought that all of the lockups were known to be gone and only some minor sound stuff remained.

Fuzzy

borghe said:
I thought this was done months ago on the JPN and PAL versions. Thought that all of the lockups were known to be gone and only some minor sound stuff remained.
I always question whether something that has been fixed in one region is carried over to another region. This is Nintendo after all.

EDIT: I just finished updating (and then making sure my USB Loader still worked, it does) and MM isn't showing up in my shop channel. Fucking hell!

bryehn

Fuzzy said:
I always question whether something that has been fixed in one region is carried over to another region. This is Nintendo after all.

EDIT: I just finished updating (and then making sure my USB Loader still worked, it does) and MM isn't showing up in my shop channel. Fucking hell!

Maybe if you wait 80 minutes...

-

I'd also like to state that Nintendo should have your "Nintendo" points ties to a central account so you can spend them on both of your devices. I'd be buying games on DSiWare AND WiiWare today if I could do that, but having to make the choice on where to spend my $13 CAD takes that option away. No way I can justify spending $26 for $10 worth of games. Sure there will be games down the road, but I use my credit card and don't like racking up interest for nothing.

The least they could do is add $5 funding options to the stores...better yet, adopt the PSN option of only having to buy what you need after the $5 minimum.

Called it and will buy it the second it goes up on the store.

FINALLY, I get to re-play my favorite game of all time since my N64 cartridge stopped working 3 years ago.

TenshiOni said:
FUCKING FINALLY!!!

But wasn't this cute little press release worth the wait?

NOA said:
NINTENDO DOWNLOAD: ZELDA CLASSIC BECOMES 300TH VIRTUAL CONSOLE GAME

May 18, 2009

Every Monday for two and a half years, Nintendo has introduced new downloadable games and applications for the Wii™ console. Today marks a milestone for the Virtual Console™ section of the Wii Shop Channel, home of some of the greatest titles in video game history. The classic The Legend of Zelda™: Majora's Mask™ becomes the 300th Virtual Console title available for download. It's one of the highest-rated Nintendo 64™ games of all time, and its three-day time cycle and deeper, darker storyline offer players a different experience than a traditional Zelda game. People who played it years ago can relive their gaming roots, while those who never picked it up can discover its fun and charm for the first time.

Fuzzy

bryehn said:
Maybe if you wait 80 minutes...
I have to wait until noon? I never bought a VC game right at release (since I'm usually at work but today is a holiday) and this is bullshit. The game should be up once Nintendo releases the press release. I don't care that the press release states the time, I want my game. :(

Updated the OP:

• Today's NA releases
  • Link to the PR
  • Link to last week's NoE PR (only just added today)
  • Dragon Quest Wars

I did go to add Sexy Poker, but it no longer appears to be on the ESRB site...

Top Bottom