• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Downloads - May 2012

Henke

I'm really enjoying this Rayman Origins demo. I haven't played it on any other console, so I can't really make a comparison, but I'll probably end up picking this up in Game if they stock it. I've had store credit there for a while and it doesn't look as though either Revelaitons or Kid Icarus is going to be available there any time soon.

From an uneducated point of view it seems to be a good fit for the 3DS. The depth looks really cool in certain parts too.

Haven't played the Origins demo yet (tho I am looking forward to it!) but just wanted to say that next week we also get Game & Watch Gallery 2 (it says so kn NA shop)

YEA! 3DS Virtual Console is back! I'm so happy. I don't think I'll buy G&W2 either even tho I haven't played it. I only got like $40 to spend on eShop games between now and Wii U so I gotta make my choices carefully...

Hale-XF11

Had a go at the Rayman Origins demo. Pretty looking game in 3D, but I wasn't really into the gameplay. Just not my thing, I guess. Then again, I don't really enjoy sidescrolling platformers anymore.

How's Game & Watch Gallery 2? It looks nice on the screenshots they put up.

I never played it, but there is also a video on the eShop (and obviously theres tons of videos on youtube) it looks good. Its the only one I never played...

Umm... did the US get skipped over this week?
Noone posted the US update because Nintendo has started telling us whats coming one week in advance on the eShop. (Except for the demo)

But...

Rayman Origins Demo
Kirby's Block Ball
Some DSiWare game noone cares about.

Anywayz: Played the demo and its pretty awesome. I also have a Xbox 360 & PS3 but no Via so I am unsure which system I want this for. 3Ds has portability and playtime tracking. But the console versions have trophies/acheivements. Vita has portability and trophies so I could wait a year and get that when I get the Vita.

Hhmm...

Edit: Now that I've looked around, I see Origins 3DS STILL doesn't have a release date. Wat.

zigg

Anywayz: Played the demo and its pretty awesome. I also have a Xbox 360 & PS3 but no Via so I am unsure which system I want this for. 3Ds has portability and playtime tracking. But the console versions have trophies/acheivements. Vita has portability and trophies so I could wait a year and get that when I get the Vita..
I picked it up for Wii and play with friends. Only issue is that things get a bit hard to see if it zooms out too far. Otherwise, it's great fun that way.

Murrah

Banned
Origins demo was way better than expected considering it's an ubisoft port and that it was delayed repeatedly. Still far from perfect, but good enough for me to for sure pick it up. Even with the fuzzies

As it is ubisoft I honestly thought rayman would be worse.

Sucks it runs @ 30fps but it isnt to bad. I have the 360 version but will still buy this.

For those interested in Game and Watch Gallery 2: it's definitely a solid title, and much better than the original.

Donkey Kong original/remake makes it a pretty worthwhile purchase alone, but the other games are pretty fun too. I think it has five games with one unlockable. Donkey Kong, Ball, and Vermin remakes are all awesome, and Chef and Parachute are still pretty fun. The goal benchmarks make you really keep playing for secrets and whatnot, and the game obviously has a lot of replay value. It along with Tetris DX were pretty much the flagship titles for the Game Boy Color launch so there was obviously quite a bit of solid development put into it.

Highly recommended.

Well the Origins demos makes the port as bad as I was expecting, considering who was porting it. Glad it wasn't a me thing when I felt something was off here.

M-PG71C

I played the hell out of G&W2 when I was a kid. Def glad its being released next week. Kirby's Block Ball kicks ass. After all these years I finally get to play it.

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
Here in Europe, we have a lovely 3D trailer of Art Of Balance! Touch!

Looks great.

sfried

Disappointed in the Rayman demo.Blurry, low rez and 30fps :(
3D doesn't make up for these.
I played the demo expecting to be disappointed and it actually played pretty smooth. I don't get where the blurry low res comments are coming from. There are parts where it zooms in and you can clearly tell they aren't using low res textures. And to say the 3D doesn't look impressive would be a flatout denial. I'd say it's nice to see a 3rd party platformer have nice, deep, and rich 3D effects like Origins. Compared to the 3D Classics stuff (which have at least 2 or 3 layers of depth at most) its like the highest depth setting in Resident Evil: Revelations with 7 different layers of background/foreground going on. The effect, in the end, is better than using polygons. All of those nice background elements that look great in 2D just come alive quite vibrantly with the 3D on.

Strange that they didn't put up the gbc mario tennis game on vc. I guess they don't want to release the superior one before the 3ds one is out?

Lijik

How's Game & Watch Gallery 2? It looks nice on the screenshots they put up.

Its my favorite out of the Game and Watch series. GW3 has some cooler late game unlockables (Legend of Zelda GW!) but GW2 has the strongest set of initial games in the entire series, and the stuff you unlock is still pretty fun.

So I see G&W Gallery 2 and Kirby Block Ball on the shop this morning and I think "Oh cool, two VC games I may want to buy!" Then I see that G&W isn't displaying a price and it's not actualy queued. >: (

I've said it before and I'll say it again, I reeeeaally hoope NCL exerts more control over all regions (especially NOA) for the future Wii U shop and makes the releases as universal as possible.

For those interested in Game and Watch Gallery 2: it's definitely a solid title, and much better than the original.

Donkey Kong original/remake makes it a pretty worthwhile purchase alone, but the other games are pretty fun too. I think it has five games with one unlockable. Donkey Kong, Ball, and Vermin remakes are all awesome, and Chef and Parachute are still pretty fun. The goal benchmarks make you really keep playing for secrets and whatnot, and the game obviously has a lot of replay value. It along with Tetris DX were pretty much the flagship titles for the Game Boy Color launch so there was obviously quite a bit of solid development put into it.

Highly recommended.

Thanks for the impressions, I'll keep this in mind. I downloaded G&W Gallery 1 this winter and really enjoyed it, this one looks even better.

Dunno if mentioned, but Sonic Blast has been rated by the ESRB as "Game Gear, Nintendo 3DS"

This is exactly why I was underwhelmed when GG support was announced because I knew we were gonna have to sit through a hundred pointless Sonic re-releases before getting anything interesting. Once they stop pointlessly trying to get me to waste money on those, I really hope they release GG Fantasy Zone and Panzer Dragoon Mini someday.

salpa

Banned
I played the demo expecting to be disappointed and it actually played pretty smooth. I don't get where the blurry low res comments are coming from. There are parts where it zooms in and you can clearly tell they aren't using low res textures. And to say the 3D doesn't look impressive would be a flatout denial. I'd say it's nice to see a 3rd party platformer have nice, deep, and rich 3D effects like Origins. Compared to the 3D Classics stuff (which have at least 2 or 3 layers of depth at most) its like the highest depth setting in Resident Evil: Revelations with 7 different layers of background/foreground going on. The effect, in the end, is better than using polygons. All of those nice background elements that look great in 2D just come alive quite vibrantly with the 3D on.

I agree. I thought the game looked and played great, and when it zoomed in you could definitely tell the textures were crisp and sharp.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
The sound in the third level is fucked up, especially in the last part. Maybe, it's just the compression the demo underwent. It occupies 400 blocks, so around 50 MB.

tkscz

The only problem I have with the Demo is the sound. It repeats oddly, it's low quality and its just bad all over. Hope they fix that.

rj118

Were you using headphones? Because even on speakers the sound was pretty clear.

It just sounded incredibly compressed from the 3DS speakers. I would not be surprised if it were in < 128kbps territory. But like Mpl90 said the demo file size wasn't very big so that could explain it.

Lijik

I don't get where the blurry low res comments are coming from. There are parts where it zooms in and you can clearly tell they aren't using low res textures.

Just played it, and its pretty clear where those comments are coming from. Anytime its not zoomed in (which is going to be 99% of the game), it looks like you're playing a poorly compressed jpeg.

I found myself not being to perform as well in the demo version as I do in the Wii and PC versions. I don't know if it was due to screen size, not being used to the 3DS port's controls, or a combination of the two.

A few minor things I noticed in the first stage that doesn't bode well for the full version:
-Despite not trying to collect lums at all, I somehow finished the stage with a little over 400. This is a count I have never experienced in other versions of the game in any stage even when Im on full collection mode.
-The first cage is dumbed down from its original version. The structure normally has about five Lividstones, here it has only two. It makes me curious what other changes have been made to game to make it easier
-If you finish the stage with at least 350 lums and trigger the disco sequence, Rayman noticeably disappears for a split second when his dance animation loops. Thats really weird and I don't understand why it happens

The 3D is pretty nice, but its not as striking as Mighty Switch Force due to how unsharp the assets look when the game isnt right up on them.

Henke

I must have tried to beat the second stage in the demo about a hundred times but it keeps handing me my ass. Is this late game stuff or do I just suck at this game? I had no bother with the other levels.

The only complaint i have is the 30fps lock other than that you guys are bitching to just bitch, it looks great on the 3DS and the 3D is superb.

I must have tried to beat the second stage in the demo about a hundred times but it keeps handing me my ass. Is this late game stuff or do I just suck at this game? I had no bother with the other levels.
It's all momentum and precision.

They're optional in the game, I believe.

I'm in the mood for a platformer after the Rayman demo. I don't have any of the DSiWare or 3DS platformers. I'm eyeing a WayForward game, or the DSiWare Rayman port. What's the favorite platformer 'round these parts?

Top Bottom