• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Downloads - May 2015

Could you use words that mean something? Gimmicky makes no sense. Say you didn't like them, that's fine. But they're most certainly not gimmicky since gyro aiming has been a common, established and proven practice for years.
I've always gotten the feeling that a lot of people just like throwing the word around without really knowing what it means, thinking it is automatically a pejorative when the main meaning of gimmick is actually a possitive one. "An ingenious or novel device designed to attract attention or increase appeal" doesn't sound all that bad to me! Besides, just saying something is a gimmick without adding an adjective doesn't really mean anything at all. It's like answering "how was the food?" with "it was served on a plate." Oh, OK then... but did you like it? So, in conclusion, I guess JCho133 thinks that Splatoon's controls are really good! Or not. Maybe. I dunno.

I need help with a decision. Should I buy Azure Striker Gunvolt and grab an download code for Mighty Gunvolt or should I get Excave II?
I haven't seen much of Excave 2 (let alone play it!) but the Gunvolt games are a lot of fun and I feel like an honest person with no regrets when recommending them.

Yay! We moved VT --> ATL and it's awesome so far. Got internet set up this morning. :)
It took me a while to get what that meant... In any case, I hope it didn't hurt too much! XD

At the moment, I'm leaning towards either:

A) SSB
Or
B) MK8 Dlc & Bayonetta
Or
C) Something on 3DS instead
Tough choice to make. I guess I'd go for the MK8DLC+Bayo combo though. The DLC is almost a full Mario Kart by itself and has some of the best tracks in a game that already had some of my favorite tracks in any MK. And Bayonetta is just amazing, specially considering you get two great games in one. But on the other hand Smash is definitely one of the most fun and content filled games you could get, and it's also great for single player. So yeah... I'm not very helpful. Every game is great! Get them all! Sorry!

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Smash Wii U is a great single player game.
Oh agreed. I always spent more time doing single player stuff or playing 1-player in smash than multiplayer.

After some of Melee's insane unlock requirements (SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO many hours unlocking Mewtwo by myself with only one controller), they got easier in Brawl & then again in Wii U/3DS. I think I was able to unlock all of the stages & characters in a day or two.

TheMoon

I'm getting it from the eShop, so it's just B1 as they're sold separately. Although you do get a discount on B2 when you own 1. Or were you referring to something else?

Buying Bayonetta 1 for whatever the full price is on there means you get Bayonetta 2 for whatever the remaining amount is so the total you spend on it will be $60.

I'm not sure where you're from so in case you're in EU:

Bayonetta (Nintendo, €29.99 / £24.99, or €9.99 / £9.99 if Bayonetta 2 is downloaded on the same Wii U)
Bayonetta 2 (Nintendo, €49.99 / £39.99, or €29.99 / £24.99 if Bayonetta is downloaded on the same Wii U)

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Finally picked up Kirby Triple Deluxe. It's the perfect play-while-you-have-the-flu game!

Ladekabel

I haven't seen much of Excave 2 (let alone play it!) but the Gunvolt games are a lot of fun and I feel like an honest person with no regrets when recommending them.

Yeah, went for both Gunvolt games. Played a little bit of Azure Striker and really like it. The sprites look great and the tag and shock mechanic is great.
Sad that no one seems to have played Excave II. I don't know anything about the game (haven't played the first either) and from the screens it looks like something that is diabloesque for on the go. And I'm to lazy to google it.

deadfolk

Buying Bayonetta 1 for whatever the full price is on there means you get Bayonetta 2 for whatever the remaining amount is so the total you spend on it will be $60.

I'm not sure where you're from so in cause your're in EU:

Ah, yeah. That was the discount I was talking about.

Nairume

Banned
Has anyone played Falling Skies? I know it's supposed to be a less than stellar XCOM clone, but is it worth $5? I've considered the Xbox 360 retail version in the past at around $20 but never pulled the trigger, 5 bucks seems like a no brainer though.
I bought it a while back after it dropped to $10. I think a lot of reviews were pretty unfair to it in bagging it for being an X-com clone, since I think the property actually works well for that kind of game. That said, the AI is kinda junky and there's definitely a lot of signs that the game was made on a budget, but it was definitely worth the $10 I paid for it and even more worth the $5 they are asking now.

Yeah I played the PS3 version. It is simpler and easier than XCOM. Not bad if this is your type of game.

I bought it a while back after it dropped to $10. I think a lot of reviews were pretty unfair to it in bagging it for being an X-com clone, since I think the property actually works well for that kind of game. That said, the AI is kinda junky and there's definitely a lot of signs that the game was made on a budget, but it was definitely worth the $10 I paid for it and even more worth the $5 they are asking now.

Thanks for the input, I went ahead and bought it. It's downloading now, I'll try it out tonight. I've never seen the show it's based on, but all 4 seasons are on Amazon Prime Instant Video so I might give it a shot. I really enjoyed the Defiance game without ever seeing an episode of the show.

Nairume

Banned
Yeah, I didn't start watching the show until after playing the game. While it does start between seasons and features characters from the show, it brings you up enough to speed on the main concept of the show and otherwise has you spending most of your time with randomly generated characters anyway.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Smash 1: Easy to unlock all of the characters and stages...because there's only one stage and four characters.

Melee: The game with the hard to unlock stuff.

Brawl: Easy characters, slightly harder on the stages.

Wii U/3DS: Insanely easy to unlock characters (takes an hour) pretty easy on the stages.

TheMoon

Smash 1: Easy to unlock all of the characters and stages...because there's only one stage and four characters.

Melee: The game with the hard to unlock stuff.

Brawl: Easy characters, slightly harder on the stages.

Wii U/3DS: Insanely easy to unlock characters (takes an hour) pretty easy on the stages.

Well, the meat and potatoes lies in the trophies, which would require him to play a game he doesn't care for much to enjoy all that stuff. :)

Robin64

Expecting to see Paper Mario today. Well, maybe.
Also expecting to see the crushing words "This is the European version of the game"

Well, the meat and potatoes lies in the trophies, which would require him to play a game he doesn't care for much to enjoy all that stuff. :)

I love everything about Smash except for the game. The Nintendo fanwank, the trophies, the music, the bringing together of everything amazing.. and then it's in a fighting game I don't enjoy. Wish it was an RPG.

JoeM86

This week, in Europe

Wii U
Ultratron €9.99 / £7.99 (€8.49 / £6.50 until 28.05.2015 22:59 UTC.)
Nihilumbra €8.99 / £6.99 (€6.99 / £5.49 until 28.05.2015 22:59 UTC.)

Wii U VC
Mega Man Zero 4 €6.99 / £6.29
Mega Man Battle Network 2 €6.99 / £6.29

3DS
Codename S.T.E.A.M. €39.99 / £34.99
3D Thunder Blade €4.99 / £4.49

tolkir

Any sales?

Wii U
Giana Sisters: Twisted Dreams (Black Forest Games) - €7.49 (Ends May 21, regular price €14.99)
DuckTales: Remastered (CAPCOM) - €6.69 (Ends May 28, regular price €14.99)
Dungeons & Dragons: Chronicles of Mystara (CAPCOM) - €5.99 (Ends May 28, regular price €14.99)
Resident Evil Revelations (CAPCOM) - €14.99 (Ends May 28, regular price €49.99)
Guac' a Mole (Madskull Creations) - €2.69 (Ends June 11, regular price €3.50)
Wooden Sen'SeY (Neko Entertainment) - €2.99 (Ends May 21, regular price €9.99)

3DS
Animal Hospital (Bigben Interactive) - €14.99 (Ends May 28, regular price €24.99)
I Love My Horse (Bigben Interactive) - €14.99 (Ends May 28, regular price €24.99)
I Love My Pets (Bigben Interactive) - €17.99 (Ends May 28, regular price €29.99)
My Exotic Farm (Bigben Interactive) - €4.10 (Ends May 28, regular price €6.99)
My Farm 3D (Bigben Interactive) - €4.70 (Ends May 28, regular price €7.99)
Resident Evil Revelations (CAPCOM) - €9.89 (Ends May 28, regular price €29.99)
Resident Evil The Mercenaries 3D (CAPCOM) - €3.99 (Ends May 28, regular price €9.99)
Super Street Fighter IV 3D (CAPCOM) - €7.99 (Ends May 28, regular price €19.99)
BIT.TRIP SAGA (Rising Star Games) - €4.99 (Ends May 21, regular price €19.99)
Hakuoki: Memories of the Shinsengumi (Rising Star Games) - €11.99 (Ends May 21, regular price €29.99)
Harvest Moon: The Tale of Two Towns (Rising Star Games) - €9.99 (Ends May 21, regular price €19.99)
Hometown Story (Rising Star Games) - €14.99 (Ends May 21, regular price €29.99)
Virtue's Last Reward (Rising Star Games) - €9.99 (Ends May 21, regular price €24.99)

terrisus

I love everything about Smash except for the game. The Nintendo fanwank, the trophies, the music, the bringing together of everything amazing.. and then it's in a fighting game I don't enjoy. Wish it was an RPG.

Exactly this for me.
Especially the bolded.

VegiHam

I half agree, in that I enjoy smash-as-it-is but I dream of the game that could be and it makes me sad.

deadfolk

Okay, one last question about Smash Bros. and I promise I'll shut up about it.
For now.

As someone who has never been any good at traditional fighting games, how is the difficulty? I'm not concerned about competitive play, but for the purposes of just having single-player fun and unlocking stuff, am I likely to be okay or more liable to get smashed into frustration?

Putosaure

Any of the RE games worth getting for 3DS?

Revelations is nice, especially on a New3DS (c stick).
Mercenaries is really meh, UI and menus are just a mess, I can't believe it hit retail at full price. Even paying a few euros, I was still disappointed.

RiggyRob

For now.

As someone who has never been any good at traditional fighting games, how is the difficulty? I'm not concerned about competitive play, but for the purposes of just having single-player fun and unlocking stuff, am I likely to be okay or more liable to get smashed into frustration?

You can adjust the difficulty from 1 to 9 in normal Smash CPU levels, Classic and All Star, and from Easy to Hard in the Event mode - you get better stuff in the harder modes, but obviously the enemies are more difficult to beat.

Master Orders and Crazy Orders are more endurance things, where you see how long you think you can go to beat the stages consecutively, but I haven't played around with those as much.

GulAtiCa

RE: Mercs is a really great game actually. I loved it. Spent a good bit of time into it. If you ever played RE4 Mercs, it's similar to that but more fleshed out. Really fun.

Mercenaries is really meh, UI and menus are just a mess, I can't believe it hit retail at full price. Even paying a few euros, I was still disappointed.
Did you think it was meh just because of UI design problems or do you just not like the game? I haven't played this one but it's basically the extra mode from Resident Evil 4 with lots of stuff added on top, and that was a blast to play so more of that sounds great to me. I agree on the full price part but for this price? Hell yeah!

By the way, has RE Mercenaries ever been discounted this much on the NA eShop? I remember it was this cheap in Europe at least one time already but not in NA.

Nah, don't worry about that, traditional fighting game skills are not necessary in Smash. And these are like the least frustrating games ever, or at least I chill out a lot while playing them. So yeah, don't worry and enjoy.

rjc571

Banned
Do it! Great game. The last level is impossible, but it's fun till then.

I'm pretty sure that the last level was glitched and the speed of the guy chasing you varied randomly with each attempt, with most attempts making him way too fast for you to outrun. I was only able to get to the second phase about once every four or five attempts, IIRC. Most of the time he caught up to me within seconds and there was nothing I could do about it. I was able to beat him eventually, but it was annoying. I still liked the game though.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
For now.

Let's play it together! I'm soooo bad, I've had the game since launch and I've played a grand total of 30 minutes, add another couple hours between Melee and SSE on Brawl. I guarantee you'll have fun kicking my ass

Seriously, looking for bad players on Smash to ease me in! :D

My NID is dash.kappei (Gaffers only, specify it in the fr's message).

Btw,
WHY DON'T YOU GUYS USE a Mii named the same as your GAF/Online handle to play mp FOR GOD'S SAKE!
How am I supposed to know who Nathan, Mike, George or Arcibald are?!

edit:
DuckTales: Remastered (CAPCOM) - €6.69 (Ends May 28, regular price €14.99)
Dungeons & Dragons: Chronicles of Mystara (CAPCOM) - €5.99 (Ends May 28, regular price €14.99)

The latter is definitely gonna be mine, great price!
The former I dunno, I might wait for it to drop to $0.99 on iPad and play it there via iCade+blutrol instead (unless touch controls are great which I doubt).
I also own it on PC iirc.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Seems to already have an US name as well: Stretchmo.

Basically, there's about 27 levels that're free to play, then you can choose from 4 different packs (one has 100 levels, the others have 50), with a bundle that'd save you a few bucks.

[URL="http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1045177]This thread has some more info & a trailer as well[/URL].

Top Bottom