• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Downloads - October 2012

backlot

With the ESRB no longer charging for certification on download services, such as the eShop, do you think we will see more Virtual Console games released in the future?

God, I hope so.

Also Japan is getting another Picross game. Why can't they share?

@MUWANdo

Banned
With the ESRB no longer charging for certification on download services, such as the eShop, do you think we will see more Virtual Console games released in the future?

The VC has slowed down because most of the big publishers have exhausted most of their legacy catalogue, and because no-one buys VC games. The fees that the ESRB are waiving are like $500, ie not nearly enough to make or break a VC release from a big publisher.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ

Certification/testing will still take up the bulk of fees/time, same as always with traditional console DL services (outside PSP Minis I think.)

ESRB ratings were only $800 before (if your budget was under $250k), so it's not like the floodgates are suddenly going to open because of this.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
The VC has slowed down because most of the big publishers have exhausted most of their legacy catalogue, and because no-one buys VC games. The fees that the ESRB are waiving are like $500, ie not nearly enough to make or break a VC release from a big publisher.

Do we really know that? I thought reports implied VC sales were far more impressive than WiiWare...

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
I've also been told no one buys VC games (anymore) by someone I trust for that kind of info.

Also, barely anyone bought WiiWare games so that isn't saying much.

Eusis

I'm hoping the VC can be resuscitated some with the Wii U, but that depends on how well it's integrated there (or at least how well promoted). Would love to see many of the third party games that have been sorely neglected.

... Although that DOES apply to the PSN too, I've complained many times about how SE hasn't bothered with SGF and their non-RPGs.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
I've also been told no one buys VC games (anymore) by someone I trust for that kind of info.

Also, barely anyone bought WiiWare games so that isn't saying much.

Hmm. I'm assuming this is someone who'd actually know... in, say, some sort of company-type setting?

I mean, I'm not saying you're wrong, I've just been curious about VC sales figures...

@MUWANdo

Banned
Do we really know that? I thought reports implied VC sales were far more impressive than WiiWare...

That's probably true, but that doesn't really mean a whole lot. The VC peaked a long time ago and most of the good games are already out, so publishers don't really have a lot to gain by scraping the bottom of the barrel for new games to release.

Drago

I want to see new systems for the WiiU VC... at least Gamecube and Dreamcast.

Seeing as Sega is releasing so many HD Dreamcast remakes that they could put on WiiU though, it may not be too likely, but I can dream :¬|

Thraktor

That's what I was thinking when I read about that. I hope so. Seems to me I remember some speculation that that's why there were so few N64 games. They cost(ed) more than they probably should to get ESRB ratings.

The lack of N64 games has nothing to do with ESRB ratings and everything to do with the N64 being an order of magnitude more difficult to emulate than any other platform on VC. Hopefully the Wii U will allow them to move to low level emulation of the RCP, and hence a much greater variety of N64 games available on the VC (although at the expense of the free increase in resolution we get with N64 games on Wii VC).

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
What Nintendo really needs to do is advertise the VC like the App Store or something.

"Almost all the games you ever played during your childhood, no available on the eShop™."

JaseMath

Maybe not anymore, but at its peak, VC games on Wii were bringing in between $60-65 million a year. Pretty nice for glorified emulation on a largely unadvertised, subpar online service.

BowieZ

Banned
What we really need is Picross eXpert - it sucks buying new Picross games only to be challenged by like 12 puzzles.

29l.jpg

Mentioned this in the results thread, Wii VC was a big success right out the gates. Nintendo started slowing releases in latter 2008 (FY 2009) in favor of WiiWare, and digital had barely any growth. Then with VC slowing to nothing and WiiWare being a shovelware factory, Wii basically died off as a digital platform.

Early VC's pretty much the only significant digital success Nintendo had until just recently with 3DS eShop.

masdfkjasf

Neo Member
Emily Rogers is not a 'he.' She runs the NotEnoughShaders site. She talks to devs, does articles with them, writes opinion pieces, but she's not part of a formal games journalism site. She has real contacts, which would probably be why EatChildren says that she probably has some reason for saying what she says, but she's not part of the official paid games media.

Oh.... thanks.

Getting pumped for the Mutant Mudds update tomorrow! *-*

Can't wait to return to that game.
Its going to be a great update, Nightsky, Liberation Maiden, Ghouls and Ghosts NES & Castlevania the Adventure =D. I think I'll be getting one of everything this update.

donny2112

So the NOA Nintendo Direct is on Thursday morning before the official press release of what's coming out on Thursday. Any wild speculation as to what new DL items they may be offering? They said more NSMB 2 DLC would come at the end of October, and tomorrow is the last Thursday in October ...

Announcement of full-length 3-D movie DL purchases <- My wild speculation

Certification/testing will still take up the bulk of fees/time, same as always with traditional console DL services (outside PSP Minis I think.)

ESRB ratings were only $800 before (if your budget was under $250k), so it's not like the floodgates are suddenly going to open because of this.

But... I want to believe!

Hm. Hopefully some of the dates for eShop content announced today will be sooner rather than later.

I have a feeling they'll save some of it for December for a "25 days of Christmas", etc. etc. holiday special.

But... I want to believe!

Hm. Hopefully some of the dates for eShop content announced today will be sooner rather than later.

I have a feeling they'll save some of it for December for a "25 days of Christmas", etc. etc. holiday special.
A VC game for each day in the lead up to Christmas :D

I can dream right

BowieZ

Banned
Hmm, Layton 5 seems updated in the eShop ready for download but it still says Coming Soon... can't download it yet :/

DenisQc

tadaaa

NINTENDO DOWNLOAD HIGHLIGHTS NEW DIGITAL CONTENT FOR NINTENDO SYSTEMS - OCT. 25, 2012

Oct. 25, 2012

This week's Nintendo Download includes the following featured content:

Nintendo eShop™
LIBERATION MAIDEN™ – The spirits that once protected the beautiful island nation of New Japan have been taken. Step into the role of Shoko Ozora and face down powerful enemies in this full-scale 3D shooter. (For Nintendo 3DS™)

NightSky – NightSky is an action-puzzle game that delivers an ambient game-play experience unlike any other, offering cerebral challenges that fill uniquely designed, picturesque worlds. (For Nintendo 3DS)

Marvel Pinball 3D (demo version) – Marvel Pinball 3D is the ultimate superhero pinball experience, featuring original tables based on legendary characters from the Marvel Universe. Enjoy advanced ball physics and in-game friend challenges. (For Nintendo 3DS)

Mutant Mudds™ (update) – Mutant Mudds is a "12-bit" action platformer filled with pixels and platforming fun. This update features 20 free bonus levels, bringing the total level count to 60. (For Nintendo 3DS)

Professor Layton and the Miracle Mask™ – Professor Layton and the Miracle Mask is the fifth installment in the series, and the first one for the Nintendo 3DS system. Dive into a vibrant world filled with delightful puzzles and mind-bending intrigue. Professor Layton and the Miracle Mask will be available at retail stores and in the Nintendo eShop on Oct. 28. (For Nintendo 3DS)

New Super Mario Bros.™ 2 Download Content – Extend the Mario fun with two new Coin Rush course packs, the "Gold Mushroom Pack" and "Coin Challenge Pack B". These downloadable course packs are now available for purchase from within the New Super Mario Bros. 2 in-game shop. (For Nintendo 3DS)

Also new this week:
• Ghosts'n Goblins™ (Nintendo eShop)
• Castlevania: The Adventure® (Nintendo eShop)
• 18th Gate (Nintendo eShop/Nintendo DSiWare™)
• SHOCK TROOPERS (Virtual Console™ for Wii™)

To view this week's Nintendo Download in its full graphical version, please visit: http://www.news2know.net/nintendo/Twz179g3/downloadkKt2qHc6.php.

In addition to video games available at retail stores, Nintendo also offers a variety of content that people can download directly to their systems. Nintendo adds new titles to the Nintendo eShop for the Nintendo 3DS™/Nintendo 3DS XL system, to the Nintendo DSi™ Shop for the Nintendo DSi system and to the Wii™ Shop Channel for the Wii console at 9 a.m. Pacific time on Thursdays.

The Nintendo eShop is a cash-based service and features games, applications and videos in both 2D and 3D. Users can add money to their virtual wallets using a credit card or by purchasing a Nintendo 3DS Prepaid Card at a retail store and entering the code from the card.

The Wii Shop Channel offers games and applications and uses Wii Points™, which can be purchased via the Wii Shop Channel. The Nintendo DSi Shop offers games and applications and uses Nintendo DSi Points™, which can be purchased in the Nintendo DSi Shop. A Wii Points Card™ and Nintendo DSi Points Card™ can be purchased at retail locations. All points from one card must be redeemed in either the Wii Shop Channel or the Nintendo DSi Shop, respectively. They are not transferable and cannot be divided between the two systems.

Remember that Wii, Nintendo 3DS/Nintendo 3DS XL and Nintendo DSi feature parental controls that let adults manage some of the content their children can access. For more information about this and other features, visit http://www.nintendo.com/wii, http://www.nintendo.com/3ds or http://www.nintendo.com/ds.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Europe getting Layton at midnight today, bitches.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I'm buying everything except that DSiWare title. Why can't Nintendo do this every week?

This happened more or less every week in November and December of 2011, only with fewer NES games.

Maybe its just holiday buildup or maybe the new eshop manager guy has finally convinced NOJ to just open the floodgates.

Anyone considering buying CVTA should just go and get CVTA ReBirth on Wii instead if they haven't already. It's basically a 100% different game, and it's also 100% awesome.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Will probably get both GnG and Castlevania. Also the Mutant Mudds update by virtue of the fact I just won the game for free.

JosiahB

So has anyone been able to access the new Mutant Mudds levels? I completed everything before downloading the update, but can't seem to access the levels... Is there a trick to it or something?

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
So has anyone been able to access the new Mutant Mudds levels? I completed everything before downloading the update, but can't seem to access the levels... Is there a trick to it or something?

Look better in every level. You'll see brand new doors whose names mock at GBA XD

Eusis

Anyone considering buying CVTA should just go and get CVTA ReBirth on Wii instead if they haven't already. It's basically a 100% different game, and it's also 100% awesome.
I think you're completely insane for saying that about the GB game.

So, uhh, no.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
7f5TM.png

Nintendo 3DS | eShop Original Software, Downloadable Content and Demos

• Mutant Mudds (OT) DLC (Renegade Kid)
    Grannie Levels DLC Pack (Free) Latest release!
  • New Super Mario Bros. 2 (OT) DLC (Nintendo)
    Gold Mushroom Pack ($2.50) Latest release!
    Coin Challenge Pack B ($2.50) Latest release!

Nintendo 3DS | Virtual Console

Wii | Virtual Console

• Shock Troopers (D4 Enterprise | Neo Geo | 900 Points) Latest release!

Nintendo DSi | DSiWare

• 18th Gate (CIRCLE Entertainment | 500 Points | $4.99) Latest release!

vYU92.png

Nintendo 3DS | eShop Original Software, Downloadable Content and Demos

• New Super Mario Bros. 2 (OT) DLC (Nintendo)
    Get the Gold Mushrooms! Pack (€2.50 | £2.00) Latest release!
    Coin Challenge Pack B (€2.50 | £2.00) Latest release!
  • New Art Academy DLC (Nintendo)
    Mixing Paints (€? | £?) Latest release!
    Pointilism & Textures (€? | £?) Latest release!

Nintendo 3DS | Virtual Console

Javier

Can't find Ghosts 'N Goblins anywhere in the eShop. Got Liberation Maiden in the meantime.

Will also get the NSMB2 DLC.

Top Bottom