• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mutant Mudds |OT|

Fantastical

Death Prophet
nLRr6.jpg

Developer: Renegade Kid
Release Date: January 26, 2012
Platform: Nintendo 3DS eShop
Price: $8.99

4pgoZ.jpg
grBhI.jpg

Mutant Mudds is an exciting new platform game for the Nintendo 3DS from award-winning developer, Renegade Kid. This marks the company's first self-published title, available exclusively on the Nintendo eShop. Released on January 26, 2012.

Our hero may be a 2D character, but he can take advantage of the third dimension by jetting between the background and the foreground playfields in this unique dimensionally-woven platform adventure (the stereo 3D effect looks amazing on the 3DS).

Armed with a heavy-duty water cannon and H20-powered jet pack, Max steps out onto the porch of his (Grannie's) home; determined to thwart the filthy plans of the Mutant Mudd army by blasting and hovering his way across the soiled landscape.

More Info: http://www.renegadekid.com/mutantmudds.htm

TheOGB

Banned
Very interesting. I'd been watching it since it was first revealed, and this is certainly a different direction than what they started with. I'm eager to finally see the results.

Nice, I signed that petition or whatever it was months ago to have them bring it out as it was back then but it never happened. Good to see it coming out now.

Why'd they turn it into a sidescroller? There's probably going to be a flood of those coming to the e-shop. It would've stood out more if they kept it 3D.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
nincompoop said:
Why'd they turn it into a sidescroller? There's probably going to be a flood of those coming to the e-shop. It would've stood out more if they kept it 3D.
Wtf is wrong with a side scroller - you people ......

Lijik

I really like the new look, and anything thats aiming to directly recreate the 3D background/foreground jumping of Virtual Boy Wario Land gets a thumbs up from me.

GeekyDad

Fantastical said:
Even though its 2D, stereoscopic 3D will be able to be used by switching between the foreground and background.

Little unclear about that last part, but very cool they're gonna go ahead and publish it. Even better, they're turning it into a side-scroller. What I saw of the early (3D) version looked decent, but I'm always up for another handheld side-scroller.

cw_sasuke said:
Wtf is wrong with a side scroller - you people ......
WTF is wrong with wanting some diversity? There are a billion sidescrollers coming out that I'm interested in, but the only 3D platformer in development for any system at all is Super Mario 3DS.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
GeekyDad said:
Little unclear about that last part, but very cool they're gonna go ahead and publish it. Even better, they're turning it into a side-scroller. What I saw of the early (3D) version looked decent, but I'm always up for another handheld side-scroller.

From the scans, it uses traditional 2D pixel art, so backgrounds are 'layered'. I suspect that the stereo 3D will give actual depth to the background layers, much like what people expect the 3D'ified classic GB/GBC titles will look like.

GeekyDad said:
Think Wario Land VB. Gameplay takes place on different layers and you refocus depending on that.

FoneBone

I've been waiting way too long for a sprite-based game with 3D effects to be announced, this deserves much more excitement than it gets.

I'm hoping it's a launch game because they're showing it off now, but it could just as easily not be.

It's amazing how little we know about 3DS Download titles and the May *ahem* June update in general.
FoneBone said:
I've been waiting way too long for a sprite-based game with 3D effects to be announced, this deserves much more excitement than it gets.
Me too. I'm very happy because of that.

I also hope developers aren't afraid to make retail 2D sprite games. The 3DS is the perfect resolution for them.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
Why would you do that? said:
I'm hoping it's a launch game because they're showing it off now, but it could just as easily not be.

It's amazing how little we know about 3DS Download titles and the May *ahem* June update in general.
It said "late 2011", so probably not a launch game.

nincompoop said:
WTF is wrong with wanting some diversity? There are a billion sidescrollers coming out that I'm interested in, but the only 3D platformer in development for any system at all is Super Mario 3DS.
Exactly my feelings about this as well. When I signed the petition for the game to see release, it was because we don't get many 3D platformers. It's hard to get excited about another sidescroller...

Fantastical

Death Prophet
AceBandage said:
Hope they made it a longer game for the eShop, since it'll have larger file sizes.
Well, I mean... it changed from 3D to 2D so I don't think the file size is going to be a problem.

Teknoman

Looking at the Nintendo Power article, it looks pretty cool. Looks like it might be some sorta Turrican style game meets cartoonish Mario/old school platformer art.

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
Looks good, and I have been wanting a side scroller to make use of the 3D. Though all the images remind me I still need to buy Dark Void Zero.

Teknoman

Looking at the Nintendo Power article, it looks pretty cool. Looks like it might be some sorta Turrican style game meets cartoonish Mario/old school platformer art.

Wow... I love the art style... it kinda remimds me to Super Mario World...

I will definitely going to keep an eye on this game. Some of the details:

• 2D side-scrolling platformer
  • Published by Renegade Kid (first time they've published a game, and their own)
  • New project was born out of experimentation
  • Nhen 3DS was revealed, Renegade Kid rebooted their DSiWare title into the current result
  • Plot remains identical
  • Max has a water powered cannon and jetpack which he uses to defeat enemies which rise from the earth
  • Travel between foreground and background (the 3D effect should enhance this)
  • Environments include- “a dark winter land, a fiery temple, a space cosmos, and a fluffy cloudville.”
  • Collect Water Sprites to defeat the Mudds
  • Collect water sprites to open new levels
  • Secrets and power-ups
  • Good for pick-up-and-play sessions
  • DLC through SpotPass
  • Late 2011 release on the 3DS eShop

Neo Child

Banned
Looks so good, so glad that there's still gunna be classic 2D games like this on the 3DS. Thought the genre was near dead on console&handheld gaming.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I quite like the deliberately low res pixel art style.

Luigiv

Renegade Kid's inexperience with pixel art definitely shows. I personally don't like the way this looks at all.

The original look seemed really bland, maybe this is a little too basic (early 90s PC shareware platformer), but I highly prefer this over what they had.

V_Ben said:
That's not what I expected from a Renegade Kid game. I like it.

Seriously. I was expecting to make some Debbie Downer post when I clicked on the thread, but I was pleasantly surprised.

Kulock said:
The original look seemed really bland, maybe this is a little too basic (early 90s PC shareware platformer), but I highly prefer this over what they had.

That's exactly what I was thinking and exactly why I like it.

Night_Trekker said:
That's exactly what I was thinking and exactly why I like it.

I think it's this shot
cv7y5.jpg

that makes you say "Wait a second, I have that on a floppy somewhere!" The completely generic gem collectables, the gun, the jetpack...

Top Bottom