• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mutant Mudds |OT|

M3d10n

The 3D actually made me say wow. It's exactly what I expected from 2D games with 3D depth and it seems to go very well with the multiple planes gameplay: during the video it's much easier to keep focused on the layer you are currently in with the 3D on.

Plus the game looks incredibly sharp (even in the video) and I love the color palette.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
If you guys want to see Mutant Mudds in 3D, visit the Nintendo 3DS eShop now and view a short video trailer in the "coming soon to eShop" section (has a cool Might Switch Force banner on main tab).

Let us know what you think of it in 3D!! :)
Any plans to release it on the PAL store?

I've really been looking forward to this and Mighty Switch Force. Add Pushmo and Rolling Western in there too, and 3DSWare is shaping up to be worthwhile by early next year.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Any plans to release it on the PAL store?

Wait this isnt planned for a PAL release ? What a bummer.....you would think that digital distribution would made it easier to sell content worldwide at the same time.

I hope for a reasonable price point - 5 $/€ would be fine with me.

If you guys want to see Mutant Mudds in 3D, visit the Nintendo 3DS eShop now and view a short video trailer in the "coming soon to eShop" section (has a cool Might Switch Force banner on main tab).

Let us know what you think of it in 3D!! :)

Any news on when this is coming out?

In Europe I mean or is it simultaneous?

joolswatsham

Neo Member
Here's the official press release:

Mutant Mudds Invades Nintendo eShop

Austin, Texas – January 20, 2012 – Today, Renegade Kid announced that Mutant Mudds, the eagerly anticipated neo-retro platformer, will be available on January 26, 2012 for $8.99 USD through the Nintendo eShop on Nintendo 3DS™.

Our hero, Max, may be just a 2D sprite, but he can leap into the third dimension by jetting between the background and the foreground playfields with his trusty jetpack in this unique dimensionally-woven experience.

Armed with a heavy-duty water cannon, Max has what he needs to vanquish his long-term nemesis: the Mutant Mudds. Max must blast and hover his way across the soiled landscape to seek out mysterious Water Sprites. Legend says collecting all of the mysterious Water Sprites will wash the filthy Mutant Mudds away for good!

“The Nintendo eShop is an exciting opportunity that has enabled us to release our first self-published title, Mutant Mudds,” said Jools Watsham, Owner and Director at Renegade Kid. “The development of Mutant Mudds has been a labor of love for us. We couldn’t be more excited for everyone to finally experience our “12-bit” baby for themselves!”

About Renegade Kid
Founded in 2007 by Jools Watsham and Gregg Hargrove, Renegade Kid LLC is an independent development studio based in Austin, Texas. A developer of handheld video-games, Renegade Kid is known for its award-winning titles on the Nintendo DS™, including Dementium: The Ward, Moon, Dementium II, and ATV Wild Ride.

For more information on Mutant Mudds, visit www.mutantmudds.com.

# # #

Nintendo 3DS and Nintendo DS are trademarks of Nintendo. © 2006 and 2011 Nintendo.

To access the Nintendo eShop, you will need a wireless broadband Internet connection. If you do not have the Nintendo eShop icon on the Nintendo 3DS main menu, you will need to perform a system update. See support.nintendo.com for more information.

Mutant Mudds, Dementium: The Ward, Dementium II, and ATV Wild Ride are trademarks of Renegade Kid LLC. © 2012 Renegade Kid LLC. All Rights Reserved.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Read your Nintendo Everything interview Jools!

Didn't exactly inspire hope about Dementium 3D. :(

So... what's next? With MM finally out of dev hell and into the spotlight, is your next game a new IP? Licensed? Retail? eShop?

I'm sort of assuming it's for 3DS, whatever it is. :p

I would KILL someone to get Renegade Kid to make a Dementium 3D, with atmosphere that blows away the first two games while running at 60fps in 3D mode with gyroscope controls on par with RE Revelations'.

watershed

Banned
Mutant Mudds looks good, will get next week. Despite a number of issues Nintendo has done really well with the eshop. Already I've bought more stuff and spent more money on it than I did on the dsi shop and I think I've spent more money on 3ds stuff than I did for my ds as a whole. Kinda crazy considering it hasn't even been out a year yet.

Bullza2o

This game looks great. I'm already planning to get Sakura Samurai, and would like to get this one as well. And KI in March. My wallet will cry even before the Wii U launch..

Boney

Banned
Best of luck with this Jools, I'm still not sure about this, with jewel collection and the slow speed it doesn't look like my cup of tea. I'll be keeping an eye on it that's for sure.

watershed

Banned
Best of luck with this Jools, I'm still not sure about this, with jewel collection and the slow speed it doesn't look like my cup of tea. I'll be keeping an eye on it that's for sure.

These are my only two issues with the game at the moment. I don't like having to collect every single thingie and the main character looks to walk everywhere.

I'm also curious about what will make the game more challenging as it goes on. From the videos the platforming looks pretty simple. Will enemies get harder, take more hits? Will the platforming get harder? Hopefully the game isn't too simple and easy.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
I have been looking forward to Mutant Mudds for a while now. I'm definitely interested in picking it up if it turns out to be decent. Renegade Kid!

@MUWANdo

Banned

Someone made the comparison to Gargoyle's Quest at some point and now I can't unsee it. It seriously seems like a cutesy inoffensive take on Gargoyle's Quest to me now.

watershed

Banned
Too bad we'll never know if the game is successful or not because Nintendo doesn't allow developers to share sales data for DD games.

watershed

Banned
I'm sure we could know if it did well or not, just not numbers, right?

Well yeah that's what I meant. Presentation-wise I think the game has great appeal and its been on the eshop for quite some time now with different trailers. Its gotten about as much exposure as the eshop affords. If Nintendo really wants to help the game out they will feature it on next week's Nintendo Show 3D or at least at some point.

watershed

Banned
day 1
the 3D makes greate sense in the game and I actualy LOVE the jewel collecting.

My issue with the jewel collecting from what the trailers show is that its just "now walk into this jewel and jump to get that one". Its like they're just placed in front of your character. There doesn't seem to be any puzzle aspect to collecting them or any challenging platforming like "how am I supposed to get that one" type stuff. I could be wrong but the gameplay seems really simple. I hope it mixes it up in stuff no included in the trailers.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
I just saw the eStore videos. A bit on the slower side, but looks great (especially in 3D) nonetheless. I'm keeping an eye on this.

Edit:

$8.99?!

Eh, that puts it outside my impulse range. I'll have to wait for some trustworthy impressions, especially when it comes to the meatiness of the content. I've been burned on Mighty Switch Force and I don't want a repeat.

I just saw the eStore videos. A bit on the slower side, but looks great (especially in 3D) nonetheless. I'm keeping an eye on this.

Edit:

$8.99?!

Eh, that puts it outside my impulse range, so I'll have to wait for some trustworthy impressions, especially when it comes to the meatiness of the content. I've been burned on Mighty Switch Force and I don't want a repeat.

You didn't enjoy MSF, or just wanted more of it?

watershed

Banned
More, obviously. It was criminally short for a $6 game.

[insert iOS game and/or Steam comparison here]

Well here's a breakdown of what you get for $9 bucks.

Levels: Mutant Mudds contains a total of 40 challenging levels. There are a total of five worlds. Each world contains 4 regular levels. Each regular level provides access to a secret sub level. When you add all of that up, you get 40 levels. However, only the first four worlds (16 regular levels & 16 secret sub levels) are initially presented to you. You must collect the Water Sprite from each of the first 32 levels to unlock the fifth world. Now, the fifth world is a little different from the first four worlds. Each level in the fifth world is locked. You must collect all of the Golden Diamonds from the first world to unlock the first level in the fifth world. There are 100 Golden Diamonds in each regular level. The secret sub levels do not contain any Golden Diamonds. There are a total of 400 Golden Diamonds to collect in the first world to unlock the first level in the fifth world.

Power-ups: Some of the secret sub levels require the use of a power-up to gain access to them. There are three power-ups that can be purchased from your Grandma's shoppe. She has an unhealthy obsession for Golden Diamonds, and demands steep prices for her gadgets. Each power-up is temporary, and will be lost when a life is lost. Do not fear, collected Golden Diamonds are never depleted from your inventory; once you've earned them they can never be taken away. If you lose a power-up before it has been utilized, you'll just need to visit the shoppe, purchase the power-up, and try again.

Multi-Tiered Completions

Completion 1: Collect the Water Sprites from the first 16 regular levels. This results in celebration ending #1.

Completion 2: Collect the Water Sprites from the first 16 regular levels and their 16 secret sub levels. This results celebration ending #2 and the unlocking of the fifth world.

Completion 3: Collect the Water Sprites from all 20 regular levels and their 20 secret sub levels. This results in celebration ending #3, immense self-pride, and a special surprise!

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
Well here's a breakdown of what you get for $9 bucks.
That sounds promising, waiting for impressions still won't hurt though.

I've been spoiled by Pushmo, tbh. Any eStore game that doesn't achieve some kind of clever longevity, as it did, might be skipped in the future.

watershed

Banned
That sounds promising, waiting for impressions still won't hurt though.

I've been spoiled by Pushmo, tbh. Any eStore game that doesn't achieve some kind of clever longevity, as it did, might be skipped in the future.

I think you'll miss out on a lot of great games with such lofty expectations for play time. Pushmo benefits from being a puzzle game with a user generated content feature. But few other genres, particularly ones small enough to be eshop games and not full retail games, have the same longevity.

I have pumped quite a bit of time into MSF, but I guess I knew what I was getting into as well before hand. I still have yet to get Pushmo(I know), and I'm not sure I'll be picking this one up either. I love Renegade, but I just don't think I can dive in unless something happens that I'm not aware of with this title...

My expectations weren't high or anything, it just happened to be the type of game I really don't care for. Hope I'm wrong about it though.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
I think you'll miss out on a lot of great games with such lofty expectations for play time. Pushmo benefits from being a puzzle game with a user generated content feature. But few other genres, particularly ones small enough to be eshop games and not full retail games, have the same longevity.

It's just a basic Price vs. Content rule, which I don't think is outrageous or irrational in any respect. Pushmo was a steal in that regard, but for obvious reasons. Not all games have to support user created content, they just need to be priced reasonably. Something that MSF missed, imo.

With the absence of eStore games' demos and those kinds of prices, some games are destined to be a hard sell. Which is why I'm forced to turn to word of mouth. Not any mouth, mind you. :p

watershed

Banned
It's just a basic Price vs. Content rule, which I don't think is outrageous or irrational in any respect. Pushmo was a steal in that regard, but for obvious reasons. Not all games have to support user created content, they just need to be priced reasonably. Something that MSF missed, imo.

With the absence of eStore games' demos and those kinds of prices, some games are destined to be a hard sell. Which is why I'm forced to turn to word of mouth. Not any mouth, mind you. :p

How expensive was MSF? I bought it and was disappointed by it partly because of its shortness but also because it felt slow and I didn't like the feel of the jumping and the timing required for later levels.

We'll see how Mutant Mudds shakes out and demos would definitely help make people more confident in their purchases. For now it looks to be worth it.

Tunavi

Banned
I really want to support the Estore and 2d platformers on the 3DS. Will probably get this for that sole reason. However, nothing about the game is really standing out to me. Hopefully the reviews are good.

Roto13

Trying to get a download key for this so I can review it. If not, I'll just buy it and play it for myself and not review it. :p

Top Bottom