• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mutant Mudds |OT|

It's not too hard too quickly (unless you enter those Game Boy/Virtual Boy levels right away). I thought the learning curve was almost perfect, maybe a tad easy if you're a good player, and suddenly I spent about 30 minutes on one stage. And I had to avoid collecting diamonds in order to finish it before the timer ran out. Maybe I just suck.

Anyway, the game is good, I still wonder how long it'll last. Betweew 5-7 hours is my estimate, but if the last half of the game is like that last stage I played, probably more.

Still sounds way longer than Mighty Mighty Short Force.

watershed

Banned
It's not too hard too quickly (unless you enter those Game Boy/Virtual Boy levels right away). I thought the learning curve was almost perfect, maybe a tad easy if you're a good player, and suddenly I spent about 30 minutes on one stage. And I had to avoid collecting diamonds in order to finish it before the timer ran out. Maybe I just suck.

Anyway, the game is good, I still wonder how long it'll last. Betweew 5-7 hours is my estimate, but if the last half of the game is like that last stage I played, probably more.

Cool, thanks for the impressions. That play time sounds good enough for its asking price.

How does the level actually progress? I don't really understand what you are doing or how it's laid out, because the impressions are like the opposite of what the trailer shows.

No bullshit, ill buy a metroidvania from you guys at any price. A pure, no frills, straight to the point platforming adventure in the same tone as this would clean house.

I'm buying this one now, btw.

Grakl

Alright, I was skeptical, but I'll buy this. Renegade Kid, you better make some money off of this game, because you deserve it.

watershed

Banned
Jools or somebody who has played the game please answer this question: Can you die an infinite number of times or do you have lives, get a game over screen, then have to start a level over again? So like VVVVVV's death system or like Mario's?

How does the level actually progress? I don't really understand what you are doing or how it's laid out, because the impressions are like the opposite of what the trailer shows.

If you mean the ways the levels are laid out, from what I gather:

There are initially 4 worlds with 4 levels a piece. The Water Sprites are the level-ends.
-Upon completing all 16 of these levels, the first ending plays.

In each of the game's levels are extra sub-levels, akin to the Virtual Boy and Game Boy images that were just posted. These levels also have Water Sprites at the end of them.
-Upon completing all 16 levels and 16 sub-levels, the second ending plays.

The fifth world is unlocked when the second ending occurs, or when the first 32 levels are completed, whichever you prefer.
-To unlock the levels in the fifth world, however, you must gather all diamonds from the 4 main worlds. Only the main levels have diamonds, and it sounds like there are 100 in each.
-There is a level per world to unlock, meaning 4 levels in the fifth world. These levels also have sub levels.
-The final ending happens when all 20 main levels and 20 sub levels have been completed.

Also, in order to get to some sub-level entrances, you will need powerups which Grannie will give you when you reach certain diamond amounts. Unfortunately, dying removes this special ability, so try not to die!

sfried

Day Minus 0 World Triangle jools.

It went from being pleasantly surprised to quite surprised! You have my money!

Also, in order to get to some sub-level entrances, you will need powerups which Grannie will give you when you reach certain diamond amounts. Unfortunately, dying removes this special ability, so try not to die!

Thanks! And damn, not dying is going to be so hard for me. It's dark souls all over again :^(

I secretly love it though lol

tsab

I saw the trailer on Nintendo eshop. It reminds me a little bit of Virtual Boy's Wario Land, with all that foreground/background jumps I mean. Day one for me.

How much is the asking price again?

I saw the trailer on Nintendo eshop. It reminds me a little bit of Virtual Boy's Wario Land, with all that foreground/background jumps I mean. Day one for me.

How much is the asking price again?

I believe it was 8.99, not too low not too high

tsab

I hope the PAL is a little bit lower like Zen Pinball was.
still 9euro is ok for the content i am reading

Kifimbo

Still sounds way longer than Mighty Mighty Short Force.

I played MSF about 5 hours, since I beat the time for the 16 stages. Decent length.

Jools or somebody who has played the game please answer this question: Can you die an infinite number of times or do you have lives, get a game over screen, then have to start a level over again? So like VVVVVV's death system or like Mario's?

Infinite number.

Here's another review from Go you know where:

Is Mutant Mudds worth your $9? I'd argue that it's worth more than that. This is a title that platforming fans just can't miss out on. It's designed expertly, it has an amazing soundtrack and it makes fantastic use of the 3DS' 3D feature. There's plenty of challenge for those that like their platformers with a bit of a kick. It's just so hard to find anything bad to say about the title. It truly stands as a testament to Renegade Kid's absolute understanding of the platformer.

joolswatsham

Neo Member
IGN Review - 8.5 - Editor's Choice Award.

"All 3DS owners shouldn’t think twice about adding this download to their collection."

"Level design is clever and challenging."

"Next great title to find its way to the 3DS."

"Great."

Not long now! Only thing that's a little concerning for me is the fact that each of these reviews seem to praise the heavy use of 3D. I can't see the effect, so I'm hoping the game works just as well without it (sad that I'll never know what I'm missing, though...). Every SM3DL review praised its implementation and I still managed to beat and enjoy that immensely in 2D mode so I'm hoping for a similar non-issue. In Jools I trust!

Bullza2o

"All 3DS owners shouldn’t think twice about adding this download to their collection."

"Great."
Alright! The Olympics demo and this game will things I'm looking forward to tomorrow night! (I have a midterm at 7pm, but after that it's Mudds time!)

tsab

"Great."

Daaaamn. That makes the wait more difficult. Anything new about the PAL release?

Ranger X

Jools, just so you know people like me exist (and probably by thousands I hope):

That art change the game went through is probably the best decision ever. That 2D version seems to look and feel 10 times better than the old 3D build and the charm is multiplied... and therefore you totally get my money.

:)

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Jools, just so you know people like me exist (and probably by thousands I hope):

That art change the game went through is probably the best decision ever. That 2D version seems to look and feel 10 times better than the old 3D build and the charm is multiplied... and therefore you totally get my money.

:)

Completely agreed. On the other hand, an N64-like 3D platformer is an impossible thing to find nowadays, would have been interesting to see one released.

Completely agreed. On the other hand, an N64-like 3D platformer is an impossible thing to find nowadays, would have been interesting to see one released.

Yeah, especially if they released it on 3DS where the added depth helps a lot with judging distances.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.

"Great."
Great. Now, please, hurry up with the PAL release!

joolswatsham

Neo Member
A few more reviews:

9/10 - Destructoid.
"It's a damn fine game."

10/10 - Pure Nintendo.
"There are a lot of great eShop games out there but none of them can be said are better than Mutant Mudds."

9/10 - Gamer Limit.
"One of the best things about Mutant Mudds is how compelling it is to keep playing it."

4.5/5 - Modojo.
"Packs a mean punch to the gonads."

B+ - Nintendojo.
"Renegade Kid delivers its best with its latest in Mutant Mudds!"

Congrats for the great scores Jools, and I hope the game performs well.

I'll be buying it tomorrow as soon as it becomes available.

Yuterald

I haven't played a Renegade Kid game yet, but this game looks and sounds pretty cool. I've always wanted to play Dementium, but for some reason I never got around to picking them up. I'm still a huge 2D platformer fan so I'm sure I'll at least enjoy this. If I end up digging this game I think I'll have to check out those Dementium games at some point too.

Kifimbo

Almost final impressions:

I like the time less and less the more I play (32/40 done). It's still a good game, but I'm a bit sick of the same ennemies, and the three planes mechanic doesn't really bring anything to the table outside of the visual effect. The same could be said for the G-Levels and V-Levels. Ok, it's gray and it's red, but you're doing the same thing, it's only harder. I think Mutant Mudds needed something new halfway through. Maybe they should have introduce the jetpack later on. And yeah, it's slow.

I would still recommand the game, but I prefered Pushmo, VVVVVV and Mighty Switch Force.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
Hmm. Playing it...

I'm slightly worried the gameplay is too slow -- it's feeling a bit generic at the moment, but I'm hoping things improve as I progress. Currently 4 levels into it.

joolswatsham

Neo Member
A couple more reviews:

9/10 - Nintendo Daily.
"Beautifully crafted retro-platformer."
"Mutant Mudds is not only worth $8.99, it’s worth your respect."
"Do yourself a favor and buy Mutant Mudds."
"The sound design for Mutant Mudds is absolutely brilliant."

5/5 - Nintendo Fuse.
"Mutant Mudds is the best game on the eShop."
"It is easily worth the $9."
"Controls are tight and responsive."
"Incredibly rewarding."

I love that all of my 3DS friends are gaffers.

As I'm playing, the orange light keeps flicking on. When I finally check it, I see five people online...all playing Mutant Mudds.

Great game jools. I'm loving it so far.

Just bought this! thank you so much to Jaded Alyx for pointing out I could switch to the Brazil shop, worked like a charm and I even saved a few cents!!! (according to google's conversion)

Top Bottom