• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mutant Mudds |OT|

joolswatsham

Neo Member
Here are some E3 impressions:

Pure Nintendo Impressions
"I absolutely loved Mutant Mudds."

Pure Nintendo E3 Awards
Best eShop Game

Nintendo Everything
"A landmark title for the 3DS eShop, the 3DS as a system, and the next generation of video game devices as a whole."

Destructoid
"There's a lot of Nintendo love in here."

Nintendo Life
"Mutant Mudds is everything a platformer fan could ask for."

Ripten
"A 3DS eShop title that is definitely on my radar."

Nintendo World Report
"This game feels great."

8-Bit Jay
"The kind of challenge that fans of classics such as Mario and Mega Man enjoy."

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Looks amazing. Love to see new side-scrollers.

The M.O.B

Ugh, this is how Cave Story should have done it. The layering effect looks like it will be amazing when viewing it in 3D.

The_Technomancer said:
You work at RK? Every day it seems I learn something new.
Can I ask what you do?
From the link he posted earlier.

"I am co-founder and game director of Renegade Kid; an independent video game developer."

Big One

Banned
For some reason this reminds me of a DOS platformer like Commander Keen or Duke Nukem for instance. It has a very slow paced feel to it.

joolswatsham

Neo Member
The_Technomancer said:
You work at RK? Every day it seems I learn something new.
Can I ask what you do?

Yes, I am co-founder and director at RK. I wear many hats, depending on the title(s) we're working on. For Mutant Mudds I am creating all of the artwork and performing all design tasks. Matthew Gambrell is the (bad ass) programmer, and Troupe Gammage is handling the (incredible) music.

Mutant Mudds is a pet project of mine. I am having an extremely fun time working on it. It is something very close to my heart, and it will be more on the hardcore side of things in terms of gameplay. Not a kiddie casual game for sure. But, I want it to still be fair. Ideally, the player will feel as though it was their fault they died, and not the games' fault. Super Mario World achieves this, for example. The player has the tools to beat the levels, they just need to use them correctly.

We aim to release Mutant Mudds before the end of 2011, but we also do not want to rush it.

Thanks to everyone for their interest and positive words.

All the artwork? So you're why the gems have changed! They do look a lot better now.

Actually, the game as a whole looks much, much better. Things feel much more distinct and iconic, and while it's obviously not the game you originally intended to make, I think the change was definitely for the better. The gameplay looks like fun, my only reservation is that the really tiny Mudds are a bit tricky to spot, but I guess that's the point of them.

Quick question about the jetpack: can you "pepper" small amounts of jet in a single jump, or do you only get one jet, whether you use up the meter or not?

joolswatsham

Neo Member
Boney said:
Looks sooooooo sloooooooooooooooooow.

Yes, it is slower paced. The game (enemies, scroll speed, look-ahead distance, etc.) is designed around the players' speed, and as such (hopefully) presents the appropriate challenges. Could he move faster? Sure. But then it would be a different game and possibly lean more toward a twitch-reaction game than a thoughtful action-romp. I'm not trying to sell you on it. Just explaining the decisions behind it.

The M.O.B

I'm hoping the gems allow you to buy upgrades or at-least have a store to purchase some sort of music player, concept art, or something.

Especially since they look very easy to get.

If it's just for a score then that kind of dissapointing.

giggas

Looking forward to this Jools. Sure it looks fantastic in 3D.

To be honest, I thought the original DS version looked a bit blah. The tech behind it was nice, but I wasn't exactly sold on it. This on the other hand, I'm really excited about. Can't wait man!

The M.O.B said:
I'm hoping the gems allow you to buy upgrades or at-least have a store to purchase some sort of music player, concept art, or something.

I would echo this. Will there be any higher value collectables that are tougher to get? Thinking along the lines of the big gold coins NSMB etc...

I absolutely love the style and the music... the music especially, sounds retro in a very awesome way

RaidenZR

Demo looks great, Jools. I love the look of the Mudds when they splatter! How much rad chip music are you going to cram into the game?

GDGF

Soothsayer
This is really good looking. Love the retro styled music as well!

The shifting planes mechanic looked nice. Put a smile on my face.

Thoraxes

Oh wow, looks really good.
Definitely on my radar now. Also I told myself i'd wait for newer systems before investing in their estores just to see how they handle the transitions from console to console accounts. This looks great.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
I rather liked the look and concept of the still-born DS/DSi version, but this one's looking pretty nice too. Can't wait to see/hear more of it.

I'm looking forward to when this comes out. The "DOS Shareware" look gives me nostalgia (more than an NES game would).

Yes, it is slower paced. The game (enemies, scroll speed, look-ahead distance, etc.) is designed around the players' speed, and as such (hopefully) presents the appropriate challenges. Could he move faster? Sure. But then it would be a different game and possibly lean more toward a twitch-reaction game than a thoughtful action-romp. I'm not trying to sell you on it. Just explaining the decisions behind it.
I praise early Castlevania games for being slower paced and still working well.

GeekyDad

I said it in a reply on Youtube and I'll say it again here, this looks like it may end up being the best thing Renegade Kid has ever made. I've enjoyed your past games, especially Dementium 2, but this looks like it could really be something special. I absolutely love the playing around with the layers of parallax. And everything looks just pixel-perfect in terms of platforming. Cannot wait.

joolswatsham

Neo Member
The M.O.B said:

The "Golden Diamonds" do two things:

1. Open up secret levels.
2. Used to purchase power-ups from tech-savy Grandma.

joolswatsham

Neo Member
RaidenZR said:
Demo looks great, Jools. I love the look of the Mudds when they splatter! How much rad chip music are you going to cram into the game?

Thanks man.

We plan on cramming as many chiptunes as we can in the time we have to make the rest of the game. I am not sure if we can make a unique tune for every level in the game, but we'll sure give it a shot!

joolswatsham

Neo Member
KittenMaster said:
I'm looking forward to when this comes out. The "DOS Shareware" look gives me nostalgia (more than an NES game would).

I praise early Castlevania games for being slower paced and still working well.

Thanks. I agree: slower paced gameplay can work just as well as fast-paced gameplay. It is all relative to the challenge presented to the player.

joolswatsham

Neo Member
GeekyDad said:
I said it in a reply on Youtube and I'll say it again here, this looks like it may end up being the best thing Renegade Kid has ever made. I've enjoyed your past games, especially Dementium 2, but this looks like it could really be something special. I absolutely love the playing around with the layers of parallax. And everything looks just pixel-perfect in terms of platforming. Cannot wait.

Thanks man. Finally designing a 2D platformer after having developed other genres for 18 years is a dream come true for me. :)

joolswatsham

Neo Member
More Content Details (from http://www.mutantmudds.com):

Levels: Mutant Mudds contains a total of 40 challenging levels. There are a total of five worlds. Each world contains 4 regular levels. Each regular level provides access to a secret sub level. When you add all of that up, you get 40 levels. However, only the first four worlds (16 regular levels & 16 secret sub levels) are initially presented to you. You must collect the Water Sprite from each of the first 32 levels to unlock the fifth world. Now, the fifth world is a little different from the first four worlds. Each level in the fifth world is locked. You must collect all of the Golden Diamonds from the first world to unlock the first level in the fifth world. There are 100 Golden Diamonds in each regular level. The secret sub levels do not contain any Golden Diamonds. There are a total of 400 Golden Diamonds to collect in the first world to unlock the first level in the fifth world.

Power-ups: Some of the secret sub levels require the use of a power-up to gain access to them. There are three power-ups that can be purchased from your Grandma's shoppe. She has an unhealthy obsession for Golden Diamonds, and demands steep prices for her gadgets. Each power-up is temporary, and will be lost when a life is lost. Do not fear, collected Golden Diamonds are never depleted from your inventory; once you've earned them they can never be taken away. If you lose a power-up before it has been utilized, you'll just need to visit the shoppe, purchase the power-up, and try again.

Multi-Tiered Completions

Completion 1: Collect the Water Sprites from the first 16 regular levels. This results in celebration ending #1.

Completion 2: Collect the Water Sprites from the first 16 regular levels and their 16 secret sub levels. This results celebration ending #2 and the unlocking of the fifth world.

Completion 3: Collect the Water Sprites from all 20 regular levels and their 20 secret sub levels. This results in celebration ending #3, immense self-pride, and a special surprise!

OnPoint

Small update for the bump. Thought people would like to know

twittermudds_92311.png

Source: My site

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Yeah, it's looking mighty fine. Between this and Shantae, the 3DS is building a fine library of retro platformers and I love it.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Slow as ever and that really up close layer makes me worry.

Other than that it looks good.

The slowness really makes me think of old GB platformers, so my nostalgia doesn't mind that at all.

The layer switching could be awkward but I'll give it the benefit of the doubt for now.

boiled goose

good with gravy
Looks great.

I like it when 2D platformers add some extra incentives in like a score challenge mode or collectible secret items, etc. so it would be great to see some of that.

joolswatsham

Neo Member
If you guys want to see Mutant Mudds in 3D, visit the Nintendo 3DS eShop now and view a short video trailer in the "coming soon to eShop" section (has a cool Might Switch Force banner on main tab).

Let us know what you think of it in 3D!! :)

Top Bottom