• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mutant Mudds |OT|

Kokonoe

Banned
http://i.imgur.com/Sxbq9l.jpg[IMG]

Mutant Mudds PC/Steam version, [URL="http://twitter.com/JoolsWatsham/status/208175208757075972"]via @joolswatsham[/URL].[/QUOTE]

I was thinking of purchasing this game tomorrow. Although now I may wait.

Apdiddy

You're probably just a weaksauce gamer.

Perhaps my choice of words was a little too strong, but this is one of the few games I've played that I'm just not enjoying no matter how much patience I have. I'm not expecting it to be easy at all, I'm just finding it too frustrating to try to complete. I've watched Youtube videos of other people playing levels and completing them, but still no luck for me.

I grew up in the NES days and I guess in a way this game is very similar to the harder games of that era.

Perhaps my choice of words was a little too strong, but this is one of the few games I've played that I'm just not enjoying no matter how much patience I have. I'm not expecting it to be easy at all, I'm just finding it too frustrating to try to complete. I've watched Youtube videos of other people playing levels and completing them, but still no luck for me.

I grew up in the NES days and I guess in a way this game is very similar to the harder games of that era.

Man, I'm the same way. I enjoy it at times, and the 3D is really well implemented, but it gets ridiculously frustrating at times, and not in a "just one more go" sort of way. Still, I'd love to see a sequel and the game is still fun.

Tyeforce

Valve won't let Renegade Kid put Mutant Mudds on Steam.
...Why the hell not? That doesn't make any sense at all. I'm not a big Steam guy, but I thought Valve was better than that.

Oh well. PC users wouldn't be able to get the full experience without a 3D display, anyway.

Just finished it with Max - great game, if frustrating at times. I've actually wasted a lot of time on it so far. 15 hours to complete!

Now going to try and complete the game as Granny without killing any Mudds!

Its second in recent bestsellers on eshop. So I hope its been a success. I'm looking forward to Mutant Mudds 2 - it should be fun to see if they decide to play up the nostalgia stuff and update to more SNES like graphics. I think that'd be pretty funny :D

Would defoes buy a sequel. Lot of fun and a game I'll come back to multiple times.

bede-x

Finished this a couple of days ago and gotta say I really connected with it. Sometimes games comes along that just hit the right spots and for me Mutant Mudds was one of those. It could use more variation and I kept wishing that it was possible to let go of hover and press it again without touching the ground in between. Another thing that was a slight bummer was having to upgrade to different equipment to access the secret levels in every stage. Getting halfway into a level and discovering you have to do it again, because you didn't bring the right accessory just seemed like a waste of time.

In terms of level design it didn't strike me as anything more than straight forward in the beginning, but the further along I got, however, the more I started appreciating the synergy between the layout and the protagonist's ability to move. There's a subtle genius to how finely tuned every section is and you just know that if any parameter, be it movement, jumping distance, shot speed etc. was changed slightly, it could make everything fall apart. Admirable, though as a consequence it also feels predetermined or scripted in what you're supposed to do. Or maybe calling it "retro" is more appropiate :)

The equipment does challenge that scripting somewhat, giving you more ways to approach the different sections.

The 3D integrations is a succes, if for no other reason than I felt something was lacking, when I turned it off. Didn't imagine that beforehand. There were a few places were I couldn't stop seeing double, that obviously were annoying, but I don't know if that's normal? Not that it really matters since they were few and far apart.

All in all a very good game I'd recommend other 3DS owners check out.

It did get me thinking about indie platformers in general, about how they're oftentimes pretty difficult and require precise jumping. Not that Mutant Mudds was that hard for me compared to many others, but then it wouldn't be something I'd give to my sister's children, since I know they'd be crushed trying to play it. Something I feel is a recurring theme with that style of games. Is that really necessary for this type of game? I get trying to capture a retro spirit and at the same time feel that games like that are scaring away a potential part of their audience. Just random thoughts..

AppleBlade

Been playing through this and though I am enjoying it, it really showed me how my tolerance for frustration has dwindled. I have put my 3DS away in disgust just to go back to it 30 minutes later after I had cooled off.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
@joolswatsham said:
Mutant Mudds Deluxe (Wii U) http://t.co/9v78cEt6

Mutant+Mudds+Deluxe.jpg

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
For some reason I'm not able to see the DLC. Is it available by Spotpass update, or on the eShop? According to my eShop (region Canada), everything is update to date. Tried looking for the new content in 1-1 with Grannie, as was shown in the trailer, but no dice. Tried a new game with Grannie, nothing. Wondering what I could do to 'fix this'. Maybe I'm just brain dead.

For some reason I'm not able to see the DLC. Is it available by Spotpass update, or on the eShop? According to my eShop (region Canada), everything is update to date. Tried looking for the new content in 1-1 with Grannie, as was shown in the trailer, but no dice. Tried a new game with Grannie, nothing. Wondering what I could do to 'fix this'. Maybe I'm just brain dead.

Am sure theres another reas-

North America: October 25, 2012.

...yeah alright :p
Also I did it through the eshop for future reference.

Love this game and can't wait to play the updated levels.

It's a shame that it didn't make it on Steam Greenlight. Game needs more love, IMO.

bede-x

I'm back playing Mutant Mudds again and have unlocked Grannie on all three versions(2000 Diamonds/40 Water Spirits):

There are some subtle differences between the games:

The PC version has blurry back- and foregrounds, like New Super Mario Bros 2(when you're playing with 3D on), maybe to make it easier to focus on the plane you're at without the 3D effect. It kinda works, but it's also distracting and detracts from the clean pixel art and as such is not good 3D replacement. It's also easier than the 3DS game due to the time limit being removed. Depending on how difficult you like your games, this can be seen as both a good and a bad thing. Personally, I like it since the original release was stressful enough without additional pressure and the only place it actually affects level design adversely are in places where the limit was the only obstacle:

Without any way to take damage in a place like this after you clean up the enemies, it's just a matter of time and patience before you get through. Like with Fez that doesn't mean the section is pointless. It's actually still rather enjoyable.

PC version also has leaderboards but no achivements for those that care about that.

On iOS the difficulty is reduced even further due to four things mainly:

1) You can see more of the stage than on 3DS/PC and that makes most sections easier, though some can be slightly more confusing owing to the three stage canvas the game operates with. A few places even seem more fair with this change. Here on the PC version you can just about make out the spike below you, so you know not to jump directly down in that spot:

What you can't see is that there is another spike next to that one:

Compare that to what you see in the same place on the iPad version:

Much easier to see what you're heading towards.

2) Checkpoints: There's a checkpoint sign on every stage where you can continue from, as long as you don't exit the stage and go to level select. This gives you full health regardless of how much you had, when you touched it. They aren't spaced out evenly on every stage, maybe because the original design didn't accomodate them and they had to be shoehorned in.

3) Slightly fewer enemies: Now and again enemies have been removed from their original position. In the 3DS/PC version there's two enemies to the right of Grannie here:

On iPad there's only one, even if the wider view makes it seem like there's more:

4) No time limit.

Like on PC I miss the 3D effect - which isn't replaced with blurriness here - but other than that, the changes make for a more approachable and in my opinion better balanced game. Frustratingly, in some ways this is the best of the three, frustratingly, because you are still relegated to playing with the touchscreen. You can move the buttons around to fit your needs, but as far as I can see, there's no iCade option. How something like this can still be released without it is just sad for iOS gaming. It would take so little to make everything work as it should, if only we could have some unified standard.

As it is the touchscreen controls are a hard sell and I'd recommend avoiding the game if it isn't patched with an iCade option. I'd take the 3DS game over the PC one if only to replace the blurry backgrounds with the 3D effect and to have no controller hassle. On a personal subjective level I love all three versions and I'd put Mutant Mudds up there with games like Mega Man.

Wishes for a sequel: It would be nice if the level design could somehow accomodate the player keeping upgrades, so you don't have to replace one with another all the time. Grannie style is just too much fun and the level breaking potential makes it even better. Also having the ability to activate the rocket after you let go of hover, giving you the ability to glide, go down and glide a little again, would open everything up in terms of level design.

Aside from that some more touchy-feely stuff(for lack of better words) would be appreciated: A better sense of place - larger scheme of things - and more character and not necessarily with cutscenes. Perhaps recurring enemies with new layers, a map world instead of just doors, small animations on creatures recognizing the player. Those kind of things.

Looking forward to playing the Grannie levels side by side when the Wii U version comes out :)

jgkspsx

Without the time limit, the game would simply be too easy. I am not one of these GNG maniacs who can beat any puzzler, and with some care and practice I got through full complete (in the original release) pretty easily.

I need to play the extra levels. They are definitely for those who found the game too easy.

Top Bottom