• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mutant Mudds |OT|

I picked this game up a few days ago and I'm really enjoying what I've seen so far. I've only played for a little over 2 hours so I'm looking forward to everything I have left.

Also, the soundtrack is really catchy.

Giant Bomb posted a Mutant Mudds "Quick Look" video today.

It can be found here.

That video was interesting, since it showed a few instances where it was extremely difficult to tell which layer certain platforms or obstacles belonged to when viewing in 2D. I played the entire game in 3D, so I didn't really appreciate how much the 3D added to the game before watching that.

hatchx

Banned
Mutant Mudds is an awesome game.

My only gripe so far is that it seems sort of short. 16 levels + hidden levels (from what I can tell) just don't quench my urge.

I'd seriously pay 15-20 bucks for a meatier eshop game. I'm not sure what kind of market there is for titles that expensive, but if Mudds had double the levels I'd be a happy camper paying double the price.

Still an excellent title. True platforming. Takes me back to being about nine years old.

How does this stack up to Cave Story (DSIware)? I just started that one today and I'm absolutely loving it so far. It's a brilliant little throwback, and once I finish it, I was thinking about chasing it down with either this or something a little more modern, like Shantae: Risky's Revenge.

jgkspsx

This is much better than Shantae. Shantae tries to do too much at once, and ends up just being shallow and empty.

vaxick

Neo Member
Bought it, downloaded it, played the first 2 stages and it's pretty cool so far. It controls tightly, looks great (3D slider all the way up and no noticeable crosstalk so far - although that may change at later stages) and sounds amazing.

Also, I'm loving the price conversion at the brazilian eShop. The game costs US$8.99 at the american store, but only costs R$15.00 at the brazilian one. That's lower than the current conversion: US$1.00 = R$1.74 (current) and US$1.00 = ~R$1.67 (what I paid at the eShop).

No crosstalk? I notice it all the time in this game.

Tyeforce

I just beat the game 100% yesterday, and I have to say, this is definitely one of the best eShop games yet. It's definitely the best platformer. I absolutely love the extreme amounts of charm this game has, and it's all very polished too, which is surprising coming from a little third party download game like this. I really don't have any complaints about the game at all, except that I wish there was more of it. But for $8.99, there's just enough content, and the levels are very fun to replay, too.
Especially after you unlock the secret character...!

vaxick

Neo Member
It's terrible in the V-Zone stages, bad in the G-Zone stages, but in the main levels I haven't seen it that much.

I see doubles in the normal worlds. It isn't screaming out at you, but it's there. I assume it's from the characters being such a different contrast compared to the background.

Awful crosstalk to me for reference is in the first room in the Resident Evil demo.

GWX

As I said, it changed at later stages. The V-Land stages and the world 3 stages (red-ish backgrounds) makes the crosstalk very noticeable. It hasn't bothered me too much so far, and I still play it with the 3D slider all the way up.

I'm impressed with how quickly some of you guys have 100%'d this game. I'm at about 5 hours played right now and I've only finished 30/40 levels (all the regular ones plus 10 of the hidden ones). Then again, I didn't really use the
power up that lets you jump really high
at all on the final levels and I was set on getting all 100 gems in one run.

I really, really love this game.

I saw Mutand Mudds is 4 in the eShop chart for the last week:

1. Kirby’s Dream Land
2. Pushmo
3. 3D Classics: Kirby’s Adventure
4. Mutant Mudds
5. Dr. Mario Express
6. Super Mario Land 2: 6 Golden Coins

I cannot imagine the actual numbers, btw congrats!

jgkspsx

Looks good, but I've heard it's very difficult. If that's the case, do not want.
It is not very difficult. The Giant Bomb quicklook compared it to Super Meat Boy, and that's just bullshit. Once you get used to the jump heights, hitboxes, etc., it's comparable to SMB3 at worst.

You will replay many of the bonus stages dozens of times, though. You learn one hard part and finally do it perfectly... and then you hit the next hard part.

zroid

Banned
100%'d it myself yesterday. In total, clocked just under 6 hours. Pretty impressed that some of you guys finished it in fewer than 4. o_O

Admittedly though, the toughest level for me was 4-4 (moreso than any of the secret levels), and I probably spent nearly an hour on it alone. -_-

In general, the game is hard in spots but nowhere near the NES standard. Anyone who says otherwise is delusional and needs to go back and play an actual game from that era. It can be argued that the difficulty there was due to unfairness, but in Mutant Mudds, I felt that it was never particularly punishing. Despite failing repeatedly on 4-4, I was well aware the issue was my own idiocy and often failure to switch on the jetpack at the right moment. Ironically, despite the seemingly short 4 minute timer, the game rewards patience more than speed. If you learn to wait for the right moment to make a jump and/or shoot, the game will rarely seem frustrating. It actually reminds me of Skyward Sword in that sense. Play the game right, and you will be rewarded. But attempt to shoehorn the motion controlled gameplay into your own preconceptions of how a Zelda game should work, and you will struggle. And die. Frequently.

Glix

None for me. I find that if the brightness is too high, it makes crosstalk much more likely, make sure you're not too bright.

Also, if there are any smudges and stuff like that on the screen it can affect it as well.

jgkspsx

I have never beaten a Mega Man game (*cough*or even more than a couple bosses in all games put together*cough*), and I think Mutant Mudds is easy. It requires repetition to get timing down, but it doesn't require a lot of skill or even exceptional reflexes.

36/40 gems, 1800 diamonds. Just the last two foreground levels to go before 100%. Though they are pretty hard.

I find that taking a break for a day and coming back makes areas where I was stuck much easier. I usually breeze through them after some downtime. YMMV.

zroid

Banned
Based on eShop charts for the previous week, it came in at 3rd, I believe. Behind Pushmo and Kirby's Dream Land, the latter of which consisted less of sales so much as Club Nintendo code redemptions.

Not numbers, but it's good to see that there's clearly a strong correlation between game quality and sales on the eShop.

Finished this one up 100% last night. My total playtime ended up being 6:45. There were a few levels that took me a good 10-15 tries or so but overall I would say the difficulty was just right. It was challenging at some of the later points but I never felt like the game was unfair. That's the perfect balance for me.

I actually enjoyed the game so much that I went straight to a new file and played through the first 15 levels again with the (end game spoiler)
grandma.
It's amazing how fast you can fly through everything once you really get a handle on the controls and techniques.

All in all I think this game is a darn near perfect eshop experience. I really hope the store fosters a lot more of these types of games in the future.

M3d10n

Reception as in reviews or reception as in sales?

While we have no concrete data (damn secretive Nintendo), it seems that the eShop has been picking up and I'd say it already surpassed DSiWare in overall sales volume and is quite likely to have got past WiiWare already.

There's still a lot to be done, but the eShop is far more visible and usable than the DSi and Wii stores.

Personally I've been buying a lot more from it since the latest update added the ability to save credit card details (all I need to do is type a 4-digit PIN) and add the exact amount of cash required for the purchase (no more having to wait to buy my games in "bundles" to avoid spare credit).

It also has far more free content than the Wii and DSi stores. The streaming videos and now the demos give people an incentive to visit it every week. Nintendo Video also has links that go directly to the eShop too and Nintendo sometimes pushes notifications with eShop links as well (though those should happen more often).

jgkspsx

Would buy.

I actually just bought Moon, actually...

EDIT: Just 100%ed it. The only level I resorted to getting only some of the diamonds at a time on was the last one. It's cheap, but my skills were failing me. I ended up cheaply spamming the vertical boost. Made it a hell of a lot easier. I guess I'll try it again without it some time.

I do agree that the ending felt empty. I don't think level bosses were necessary, but a good solid final boss or even a sidescrolling Treasure-esque shooter segment would have done a lot to leave me more satisfied.

Just got 100% as well. I have some mixed feelings about this game overall. At first I was slightly disappointed - it just seemed very basic and there was a lack of enemy variety or strategy to get around enemies. I think the game hits its stride around the halfway point - the difficulty starts ramping up, and you really get a feel towards the level design and flow of the stages. But then my enjoyment went back down towards the end due to a lack of variety beyond that. Besides the backdrop or setting, very few new mechanics are introduced, and the levels just seem rather disposable. Whereas if you look at something like Super Meat Boy, the controls never get complex (like this game), but each world introduces something new, and then throws everything you've learned at you towards the end of the game (like Mega Man where you have to use all your power-ups at the end, or Portal where all the puzzle elements come together). There's no culmination or climax to this game (as jgkspsx stated above) and it just makes the world and levels feel so generic.

That being said, it is still a fun platformer, and after playing it for about 7 hours, I feel like I got my money's worth. It just needed a little extra something to really leave a lasting impression.

jgkspsx

It's not perfect, but I think it will be pretty memorable for me. Still the first 3DS game since Pilotwings that I played obsessively to completion.

Volcynika

100%'d the game a little while ago. Really fun stuff. Completely forgot about the timer, so I actually did get all the gems on the last level in one go without being concerned about it (the hardest level for me overall). Highly recommended.

Tyeforce

so when the f is this coming to europe? what's the hold-up?
This:
Jools Watsham said:
The release of Mutant Mudds outside of the US will be delayed. This is due to Renegade Kid being a small studio. We have to take it one step at a time. Unfortunately, releasing a game in different countries is a time-consuming and costly business. But, rest assured that we will get Mutant Mudds into the UK as soon as possible.

joolswatsham

Neo Member
Nintendo is running a new ad campaign for the eShop, and Mudds is featured!!

MM_ad1.jpg

MM_ad4.jpg

MM_ad5.jpg

MM_ad2.jpg

I have seen it on Destructoid and IGN so far.

Wow - how cool!

Top Bottom