• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo DS hits 3 million online users!?!?

ziran

Nintendo DS hits 3 million online users, says UK boss:
http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=14256
The number of players on Nintendo's Wi-Fi Connection online service has topped three million worldwide, according to the company's UK general manager David Yarnton, who revealed the figure at an event in London this afternoon.

Wi-Fi Connection, which is currently used by Nintendo DS titles but will eventually also service the Revolution home console, was launched with the online-enabled Mario Kart DS late last year and is playable both over home wireless networks and at public hot-spots in Nintendo's partner network.

The service now has over three million players online, according to Yarnton, continuing the phenomenal success which was first indicated when almost 50 per cent of US purchasers of Mario Kart DS used the online service in the first week of availability.

The numbers will have been boosted significantly by the launch of the Wi-Fi Connection enabled Animal Crossing: Wild World, which launched in December in Japan and North America and sold well over a million units in Japan alone in its first fortnight on sale.

Yarnton also revealed that a thousand new hot spots are to be equipped for DS use in the coming months, adding to the existing network of public hot spots in locations such as cafes, pubs and transport stations.

He was speaking at a special event held at the Science Museum to promote key forthcoming Nintendo DS titles including Electroplankton and the European version of the hugely successful Brain Training titles.

The venue wasn't chosen simply at random; Yarnton took the opportunity to announce that Nintendo has agreed a sponsorship deal with the museum for the next four years, worth over a GBP 1 million, which will include new touring shows designed to bring in new audiences and a "launch pad" gallery.
As it stands, worldwide, I expect Mario Kart DS has sold over 3 million and Animal Crossing over 2 million and apart from the hardcore, these gamers may be pretty separate.

However you look at it this is great news for Nintendo and their online service.

edit - Some Nintendo WiFi news for Ireland:
http://www.businessworld.ie/livenews.htm?a=1342597;s=rollingnews.htm
Nintendo has teamed up with BT to offer a free WiFi gaming service at more than 270 locations around Ireland...

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
They need to make it playable online on subways and busses, then Nintendo would rule the world, haha.

KINGMOKU

For all those who laughed at my cliam that Nintendo would give X-Box lives total userbase a run for it's money weeks into it's arrival;

Suck it.

Nobody got "OWNED"......

For you to say that you are insinuating Nintendo WiFi is better than Xbox Live. Nothing could be further from the truth.

I've been on both extensively and the only thing Nintendo WiFi has on Live is that its free. Every other aspect is garbage in comparison.

Kroole

sp0rsk said:
wouldnt that make them even more pwned?

Why? Microsoft makes money out of the poor smucks that pay for something that's always been free for PCs. The users are pwned.

KINGMOKU

siamesedreamer said:
Nobody got "OWNED"......

For you to say that you are insinuating Nintendo WiFi is better than Xbox Live. Nothing could be further from the truth.

I've been on both extensively and the only thing Nintendo WiFi has on Live is that its free. Every other aspect is garbage in comparison.
Microsoft ball-licker say what?

Regardless of what the PORTABLE version of Nintendo-wifi is like, the fact that the numbers are InSaNo is what's bieng talked about.

When the Revolution hits, it will FORCE Microsoft to go free.

John Harker

How much you think Nintendo is SPENDING to make all these business alliances?

I'm sure its not too much because companies like McDonalds gets increaesed traffic and costumer store time, but some of these other services providers, I'm sure they are paying for.

Especially for the thousands of isntalled kiosks they do, particularly in stores.

... do they really just profit off of this in game sales?
That has to be a difficult thing to track.

Xrenity

John Harker said:
They need to make it playable online on subways and busses, then Nintendo would rule the world, haha.
That would be awesome :)
I see it happening in Japan (well, WiFi in common at least).

Kroole

John Harker said:
How much you think Nintendo is SPENDING to make all these business alliances?

I'm sure its not too much because companies like McDonalds gets increaesed traffic and costumer store time, but some of these other services providers, I'm sure they are paying for.

Especially for the thousands of isntalled kiosks they do, particularly in stores.

... do they really just profit off of this in game sales?
That has to be a difficult thing to track.

Well ofcourse it's costing Nintendo money in providing this service but they shouldn't have any problems making ends meet. The main part of the service fee is having and upgrading servers and that is something PC-developers have done for years and still make profit. Just look at Blizzard.

KINGMOKU

AirBrian said:
:lol Um, no.
Ahh, another taker eh? Just like Nintendo's online user base wouldn't EXPLODE when it hit the DS correct?

We shall see sir. I am currently taking names, and expect your ass to be kicked.

jarrod

Banned
How long did it take Xbox to get to 3 million online users again? How about PS2? Did Dreamcast ever even make it to 3 million?

jman2050

Not taking into account the strengths and weaknesses of each respective system (everyone knows Nintendo has their work cut out for them in matching XBL in features), the idea is that Nintendo has been extremely effective in getting people to use their service. Yeah, it's free, but it works.

AirBrian

moku said:
Ahh, another taker eh? Just like Nintendo's online user base wouldn't EXPLODE when it hit the DS correct?

We shall see sir. I am currently taking names, and expect your ass to be kicked.
Hey, I was one of the few that said the WFC would be huge, but there is no way MS gives away Live for free.

Tiger

Banned
"The number of players on Nintendo's Wi-Fi Connection online service has topped three million worldwide"

and not a single one of them has communicated with one another.

xsarien

daedsiluap
John Harker said:

That's not on Nintendo, WiFi repeaters would have to be put in the tunnels by an ISP and, well, negotiating to have cell service in most U.S. subways is painful enough.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
Heh.

All that talk of "We don't see it as profitable" then they give it away for free and make stacks of money through game sales. genious. Now actually put some games online that need to be (I.E WORMS AND BOMBERMAN) and $$$

This is good news, because Nintendo does not like to support features that don't have "mass" appeall ... now you probably will see WiFi in New Super Mario Bros. and a stronger emphasis on that feature for Smash Bros. Revolution and Pokemon Diamond/Pearl and what not.

moku said:
Microsoft ball-licker say what?

:lol

Hardly. I just know when to call a spade a spade.

Anyway, I do think it would be kinda interesting to know what the numbers are for each territory.

And I will say that WFC launched with THE perfect killer app in Mario Kart - simple, accesible, big name, and its hella fun. I think 2 or 3 years from now it will still be the most played WFC game on the DS.

xsarien

daedsiluap
catfish said:
Heh.

All that talk of "We don't see it as profitable" then they give it away for free and make stacks of money through game sales. genious. Now actually put some games online that need to be (I.E WORMS AND BOMBERMAN) and $$$

Talk to THQ and Team 17. I'd personally love it if they just delayed Worms for a year or so to get it online.

Thaedolus

Gold Member
You know, I haven't even played on Live, but I can say just from what I've heard that it's better than Nintendo WFC. At least Mario Kart DS. No lobby, no chat...just randomness. It's fun, don't get me wrong, Mario Kart online rocks...but it shouldn't be Friends Codes, certain tracks, etc...I doubt Revolution's online will be free, especially with all the virtual console stuff. But I'd be willing to pay for it if we get lobbies and chats...

BuzzJive

Tigerriot said:
and not a single one of them has communicated with one another.

Animal Crossing says hi

Now that Nintendo has shown that people are willing to try it, I think we'll see more support. Nintendo may never offer up proper lobbies and such, but I bet other companies will.

Congrats Nintendo on passing up the XBL userbase so fast. Even if it is free, it's an impressive feat.

John Harker

xsarien said:
That's not on Nintendo, WiFi repeaters would have to be put in the tunnels by an ISP and, well, negotiating to have cell service in most U.S. subways is painful enough.

Oh, I know. It'll never happen - the infrastructure isn't in place.
And the cost would be phenomenal.

However, think how *cool* it would be!

Merlin

Banned
BuzzJive said:
Animal Crossing says hi

Now that Nintendo has shown that people are willing to try it, I think we'll see more support. Nintendo may never offer up proper lobbies and such, but I bet other companies will.

I hope Tetris has a lobby and isn't just like Mario Kart.

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...
Thaedolus said:
You know, I haven't even played on Live, but I can say just from what I've heard that it's better than Nintendo WFC. At least Mario Kart DS. No lobby, no chat...just randomness. It's fun, don't get me wrong, Mario Kart online rocks...but it shouldn't be Friends Codes, certain tracks, etc...I doubt Revolution's online will be free, especially with all the virtual console stuff. But I'd be willing to pay for it if we get lobbies and chats...

I really think WFC will be free, the money will come from the virtual consol. There will be very little overhead because the games are already created. The profits from that should be enough to keep the online play free. I doubt we'll see any VoIP with WFC, but I'm sure there will be lobbies and textchat.

ziran

i think nintendo will improve and expand their wifi service and content in games over time, hideki konno said as much in the mkds interviews.

Kevtones

siamesedreamer said:
Nobody got "OWNED"......

Seems a lot of people like garbage then...oh and great games.

Am I the only person who plays and enjoys both Live and Mario Kart, and is disgusted by the vile little children spewing hate in this thread?

Jeez, go get laid or something.

beermonkey@tehbias said:
Am I the only person who plays and enjoys both Live and Mario Kart, and is disgusted by the vile little children spewing hate in this thread?

Jeez, go get laid or something.

No you're not, it's just that the extremists on each end are always more vocal.

Nintendo said:
All around the world, players have been competing on the new Nintendo® Wi-Fi Connection wireless gaming service. Within seven weeks of the service launch more than 10 million game connections have been made and more than 550,000 unique visitors have connected globally.

550,000 within the first seven weeks would be on (or maybe before?) Nov 14th to Jan 2nd.

We've had US launch (w/Mario Kart & Tony Hawks) >> ~1 Month later Euro / JPN launches >> End of January and... 5x increase in players online?

I don't know. Thats a pretty radical take up. A million a month :lol

Interesting thing about this is that this supposed 3 million people don't even need a router or a USB connector necessarily. My friend doesn't have a router, but I've taken mine round to his and a number of us have made 'unique' connections through that one router. To Nintendo thats not one user, its 2 or 3. Then there's the people who happen to flip their DS' open at work or in McDonalds, Starbucks etc.

Top Bottom