• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo DS hits 3 million online users!?!?

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
so this is supposedly, individual, unique users? I find that hard to believe.

the system is just crap, but at least they're supporting it.

Musashi Wins! said:

Enjoying your Haterade?

"If I could be like Drinky ... sometimes I dream ..." :lol

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Musashi Wins! said:

QFT!! [/sonybot]

Now that that's out of the way, in comparison, how many online users are on the PSP's wifi thingy? And PS2 also?

Beezy

Wouldn't they be able to just check which friend codes have been online? That way it wouldn't matter how many different places you went online. Your friend code doesn't change.

Koomaster

Beezy said:
Wouldn't they be able to just check which friend codes have been online? That way it wouldn't matter how many different places you went online. Your friend code doesn't change.
It does between games. So if someone owns and goes online with both AC and MKDS - does that count as 2 people?

I know that if you link your DS up with the Nintendowifi website it keeps track of your stats for all your wifi games - so theoretically they could distingush that all your friend codes = 1 person. But what of the people who haven't linked their DS to the website?

3 Million is impressive and I'd LIKE to believe that it's true, but it's not adding up for me.

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...
Beezy said:

Beat me to it! Yeah, the connections are based on your DS/Card combo, that's also why it's so easy to set up an account at myNintendo and link it right away. Nintendo has no problem telling how many individuals are connecting.

xsarien

daedsiluap
Oblivion said:
QFT!! [/sonybot]

Now that that's out of the way, in comparison, how many online users are on the PSP's wifi thingy? And PS2 also?

It's probably impossible to calculate since there's no central PS2 online network, each game goes through whatever the publisher setup.

Kon Tiki

Banned
Kroole said:
Why? Microsoft makes money out of the poor smucks that pay for something that's always been free for PCs. The users are pwned.
To be fair XBMC is illegial, and Media Centre Edition is not that expenseive.

Oh wait, you are not talking about free media sharing? :p

Kroole

Beezy said:

The best way to check is to just look at all the different MAC adresses. Then you'll know exactly how many that has passed through the WFC system.

Xellotah

sp0rsk said:
so whats your point? besides making a poor attempt to downplay this news?

I agree its good news (having a popular network is better than not having a popular network) but I fail to see what all the hi-fiving is all about really.

Its like giving away free candy, you give away 10million but what does that translate into ... Revenue? Market Positioning?

I just fail to see the significance of it all, apart from maybe 1uping MS when they boast about Online penetration.

jedimike

jarrod said:
Wait, so Nintendo WFC has already passed Xbox Live? After just 3 months? That's nuts!

Not likely... the 2 million for MS is "subscribers". Those people that have paid for the service. Not the free trial cards. Of course, this figure was before the 360 launch and MS has stated that they are surpassing the 50% adoption rate for 360 owners.

As far as the DS goes, I'm sure 3 million unique DS's have been on-line. I have no doubts about that. I also believe that the majority of those users did it strictly to try it out. Whether they continue to play is an entirely different number and certainly falls well below XBL "subscribers".

Kroole

Xellotah said:
I agree its good news (having a popular network is better than not having a popular network) but I fail to see what all the hi-fiving is all about really.

Its like giving away free candy, you give away 10million but what does that translate into ... Revenue? Market Positioning?

I just fail to see the significance of it all, apart from maybe 1uping MS when they boast about Online penetration.

Oh I don't know. Maybe actually expanding online games to the casual. Or better yet, online games that are actually free to play might sell more than one that needs a subscribtion of some sort.

BuzzJive

Xellotah said:

More users translates to more support which translates to more online games. That's not significant?

ironichaos said:
I posted this earlier as a sarcastic comment so maybe it was overlooked. Anyways, the three million number doesn't at all jive with Nintendo of America's numbers released just yesterday.

That was in a press release on the 3rd of January too. The 550k number may have even originated before that date, I can't be sure. It was also worded "within 7 weeks" in the press release, not "in 7 weeks". But yeah, I had the same feeling as you (see page before this)

Given the service launched with popular games, in three massive territories, within 2 months -- I don't think its impossible that 3 million people have tried the games out online in two months, but I'm definately with Jedi Mike: this is not 3 million regular players Yarnton is talking about.

If there have been 3 million players since they made that "more than 550k" announcement a while back, then thats over a million new players online for each month. Incredible if true, but there should probably be bounds more skepticism than there already is in this thread. Shame but true.

jarrod

Banned
jedimike said:
Of course, this figure was before the 360 launch and MS has stated that they are surpassing the 50% adoption rate for 360 owners.
Erm, wouldn't a good amount of that 50% likely be repeat Xboxers? How does Live transition exactly? Are they saying the 50% adoption rate are "new" Live subscribers?

jedimike said:
As far as the DS goes, I'm sure 3 million unique DS's have been on-line. I have no doubts about that. I also believe that the majority of those users did it strictly to try it out. Whether they continue to play is an entirely different number and certainly falls well below XBL "subscribers".
I'm not sure you can really make that comparison though, we've really no idea how often the WFC comminty uses the service. All we know is 3 million have used it in 3 months, compared 2 million Xbox Live subsribers massed over 3 years.

jedimike

jarrod said:
Erm, wouldn't a good amount of that 50% likely be repeat Xboxers? How does Live transition exactly? Are they saying the 50% adoption rate are "new" Live subscribers?

I'm certain that includes previous XBL users as well.

I'm not sure you can really make that comparison though, we've really no idea how often the WFC comminty uses the service. All we know is 3 million have used it in 3 months, compared 2 million Xbox Live subsribers massed over 3 years.

That's not true either because the 2 million figure is not how many users over 3 years. It is 2 million current paying subscribers. Certainly people have subscribed and then cancelled over those 3 years... they don't count.

Basically, comparing the 2 numbers is worthless. It would be similar to comparing shipped vs. sold, IMO. Apples to Oranges.

Oh look, they finally launched the latin american wifi site. Spanish only though.

New Zealand is also up. Nice touch: Each site efatures the box arts of that country, not just a generic one.

Kroole

jedimike said:
Basically, comparing the 2 numbers is worthless. It would be similar to comparing shipped vs. sold, IMO. Apples to Oranges.

Yeah it's quite worthless to compare the two especially after such a short time period and the different strategies. The only thing this shows is that people are willing to atleast test taking the DS online which will help developers to decide wether to use the WFC system or not on furure games.

Calidor said:
Well, wich other languages were you expecting? :lol

Portuguese?

Also, theyve grouped Latin America with the Carribean, which means we should demand more dutch, frencha nd creole.

According to their hot spot search, supported countries are:

Argentina
Bahamas
Brazil
Cayman Islands
Chile
Costa Rica
Dominican Republic
Ecuador
Guatemala
Guyana
Mexico
Netherland Antilles
Nicaragua
Panama
Peru
Turks
Venezuela

Interestingly enough, except for Mexico, the colonies, and maybe Chile, I dont think the DS is available in any of those countries officially.

JavyOO7

jedimike said:
I also believe that the majority of those users did it strictly to try it out. Whether they continue to play is an entirely different number and certainly falls well below XBL "subscribers".

Most likely. I do think that Mario Kart has over 50k players playing a night, and I think that's pretty good. Some freakishly-awesome players too.

Kon Tiki

Banned
JavyOO7 said:
Most likely. I do think that Mario Kart has over 50k players playing a night, and I think that's pretty good. Some freakishly-awesome players too.
No kidding. The avg skill level of Mario Kart players compared to the avg user on xbl is like night and day.

Kroole said:
Yeah it's quite worthless to compare the two especially after such a short time period and the different strategies. The only thing this shows is that people are willing to atleast test taking the DS online which will help developers to decide wether to use the WFC system or not on furure games.

This news is all they need.

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
soundwave05 said:
Enjoying your Haterade?

"If I could be like Drinky ... sometimes I dream ..." :lol

um...the online system sucks, not the system (which I like).

are we not allowed to say that?

you're not even a second-rate littlewig, so um, thanks for making me drinky level hater status so easy I guess.

JavyOO7

Musashi Wins! said:
um...the online system sucks, not the system (which I like).

To me the online system is adequate... for now. Later on down the line? A great big "meh" if Nintendo decides not to work on their online component further. They have something good here, I believe. Just throw some Live=esque features to future DS games...

a) Chat room to host games; it'll be through text obviously, but that's way better than nothing. Pictochat rooms would be perfectly fine
b) Adding anyone to your friends list.
c) Game settings you put to the game... like for example for Mario Kart you can choose which courses will be raced in, how many laps per course, what items are/aren't allowed and etc etc.

The little things could make the WFC go a long way, I think. Partially, the reason why I say I like it... because hey, it's online Mario Kart and I'm not ashamed to admit it's taken an unhealthy amount of my time. But man it'd be fucking nice if I can add these top notch snakers to my friends list.

Good post.

I really like the idea of a pictochat lobby. The thing that sucks though is that the only time these things can be added is in the next iterations of these games (where as on XBL updates can be downloaded).

They are definately on the right track though. I think after MPH, every game should be required to at least have pictochat lobbies.

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
I don't even bother to play Mario Kart online anymore since everyone is obsessed with their win/loss record and drops if they are losing. My online record is something like 20-40 and I only snake if someone else is snaking. :|

xsarien

daedsiluap
Archie said:
I don't even bother to play Mario Kart online anymore since everyone is obsessed with their win/loss record and drops if they are losing. My online record is something like 20-40 and I only snake if someone else is snaking. :|

People, this is what the friends lists are for.

Deku

Banned
I'm not prepared to pay on-line subscription fees for every single game with on-line functions that look remotely interesting.

I already pay to play FFXI and that's more than enough gaming for me in a lifetime. But when I do want to dabble in other games which have online options, it helps that they are free so. The Nintendo Wi-Fi is a great step for the portable/home console on-line gaming. PC gaming have been doing this for years, but somehow, console manufacturers have to justify charging people for an on-line service. It's stupid and limits their audience even before they make a sale.

Mmmkay

http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=62609

Eurogamer said:
Eurogamer: Well my local pub doesn't actually work yet. Anyway, you said you've measured "three million connections" to Wi-Fi Connection - does that actually mean three million different DS systems have logged onto it worldwide?

David Yarnton: In actual fact... We haven't released the latest figures, but that one was I think before Christmas. I can just say it's a lot. Those figures, those three million though are actual connections; it could be the same person multiple times, but it's in the realms of over half a million.

It also appears they have updated their original article linked in the OP now stating: "The number of connections to Nintendo's Wi-Fi Connection online service has topped three million worldwide, according to the company's UK general manager David Yarnton, who revealed the figure at an event in London this afternoon. That's thought to represent more than half a million actual users, according to Yarnton's later clarification of his comments."

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
Agent Icebeezy said:
*shakes head*

Live FTW

Well a paid subscription is going to be obviously more feature rich than a free one (it better be) but I choose to believe that Nintendos WIFI service will mirror the DS performance, started off with a bit of a fizz but really ramped up around 6 months after launch.

MPH is clearly their make or break as far as proof of being able to competently pull off wifi connection. Mario Kart was unfortunately a bust, as it's proven that the current friend system just doesn't work, I don't wanna have to play legions of snaker/droppers, but unfortunately I have to because I can't for the life of me get a game with a friend. I mean, yay, an icon tells me a friend is searching, what's he searching in? Do I have to search in the same category? WTF does locking them do? Disasterous.

EDIT: I have no idea how online animal crossing turned out, was it a good implementation or not?

Merlin

Banned
Interesting to see someone from Nintendo saying they want to be number 1 for a change.

Eurogamer: Well yes, it was one of the three parts of Satoru Iwata's TGS speech along with keeping old gamers happy and attracting disenchanted gamers back, but what I was really getting at is that you're talking a big talk at the moment, and is that a reflection of Nintendo's ambition? Do you see yourselves as being able to regain what some would probably call your former glory?

David Yarnton: Our ambition is to be number one, so there's a number of different areas for us to do that. We can take them head on or we can move outside as well. We aim to be number one. We're number one in the handheld and there's no reason we can't be number one in the console area? In a number of markets, as I say, Sony dominates, but we're not far behind.

Eurogamer: So in this generation, you think?

David Yarnton: This generation as in GameCube? [Laughs] I don't think we'll catch up with GameCube.

JavyOO7

catfish said:
I have no idea how online animal crossing turned out, was it a good implementation or not?

Animal Crossing: WW was implemented nicely I think, there were still some quirks though...

a) When you have your town doors open, all your neighbors are inside their houses rather than wandering off outside. To prevent lag issues? Most likely, but still irked me.

Besides that, it was neat on how the system was implemented. Basically, if you wanted to visit a friend you would have the system log on to the WFC, and in a short second you are connected. You are taken to a menu to see your friends list, and wait for it, all the friends that were currently online, and how many neighbors were online. And the neat thing is you can chat... so that's always cool. Text, not voice, but still neat.

Shit, if Mario Kart had the same online functions as Animal Crossing... I would'nt be complaining as much. And if the system permitted it...

a) I wished the users could decide whether they wanted to race in 50/100 or 150cc, or better yet, the mirror courses.

And of course...

BAN THE FUCKERS FROM CHOOSING BABY PARK AND FIGURE EIGHT ALL THE TIME ARGHHHHHHHHHHHHHH.

BTW, if I am correct, you can kick folks out of your town whenever you like (Animal Crossing).

Rlan

I wonder how many connections have been through the McDonalds deal? It's be interesting to see how many kids do it.

Emotions

jamesinclair said:
Portuguese?

Also, theyve grouped Latin America with the Carribean, which means we should demand more dutch, frencha nd creole.

According to their hot spot search, supported countries are:

Argentina
Bahamas
Brazil
Cayman Islands
Chile
Costa Rica
Dominican Republic
Ecuador
Guatemala
Guyana
Mexico
Netherland Antilles
Nicaragua
Panama
Peru
Turks
Venezuela

Interestingly enough, except for Mexico, the colonies, and maybe Chile, I dont think the DS is available in any of those countries officially.

It is available in Chile officially , i don't know about the other countries availability though.

xsarien

daedsiluap
elostyle said:
Wait didn't they say there had been more than 3 million connections before?

~10 million connections, ~3 million unique players. How they're measuring players - either via MAC or game/DS combos - is uncertain.

xsarien said:
The vast forest off hastily drawn penises would know no end.

Eh, I could live with that as its no different than the vast forest of racists on XBL. You just learn to deal with it and move on.

The positive of being able to communicate (however archaic it may be) far outweighs the negative of having no ability to communicate.

D3VI0US

3 million unique players isn't bad but all that means is they've connected and tried it out. MS measures regular online players through paid Gold subscriptions and Silver puts them on a level playing field with Nintendo and Sony's bs numbers by actually gives users incentive to connect through Silver. Sure free is pretty good but I'd rather pay for the ability to better enjoy my games online on my terms.

AniHawk

jedimike said:
Of course, this figure was before the 360 launch and MS has stated that they are surpassing the 50% adoption rate for 360 owners.

THREE HUNDRED THOUSAND PEOPLE. THAT IS AMARZING!

jedimike

xsarien said:
~10 million connections, ~3 million unique players. How they're measuring players - either via MAC or game/DS combos - is uncertain.

So on average, anyone that has played on-line has only done so 3 times????

THREE HUNDRED THOUSAND PEOPLE. THAT IS AMARZING!

For only being out 8 weeks that is pretty amazing. Plus that is the WW adoption rate... not just the US, so that figure is closer to 600K. XBL FTW.

terrene

Banned
moku said:
Ahh, another taker eh? Just like Nintendo's online user base wouldn't EXPLODE when it hit the DS correct?

We shall see sir. I am currently taking names, and expect your ass to be kicked.
Yeah, put me down for that one, too. Nintendo is NOT going to force Microsoft to stop charging for Live. I'll take that bet right now.

Top Bottom