• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo DS hits 3 million online users!?!?

AniHawk

jedimike said:
So on average, anyone that has played on-line has only done so 3 times????

For only being out 8 weeks that is pretty amazing. Plus that is the WW adoption rate... not just the US, so that figure is closer to 600K. XBL FTW.

Indeedy, but that's pretty much the best thing you can do with the system right now. Only one game in December, and none in January (and only two in February).

xsarien

daedsiluap
jedimike said:
So on average, anyone that has played on-line has only done so 3 times????

I doubt it. The "10 million" number did not come from the same PR as this new one. You can assume that the number of connections has likely increased substantially.

AniHawk

GSG Flash said:
For some reason, I can actually see you enjoying paying for Live
When you have to pay to talk to 14 year-olds with attention deficit disorder and mouthbreathing manchildren, it becomes a privelege

Mmmkay

xsarien said:
I doubt it. The "10 million" number did not come from the same PR as this new one. You can assume that the number of connections has likely increased substantially.

You could just read the thread to find out that the article misquoted Yarnton and he was just giving out old numbers for connections and had nothing to do with unique visitors.

Mrbob

Truth comes out. Nintendo fans you need to pick better battles. I don't know why you are so enthusiastic to attempt to put down Live at every opportunity. I'm going to save the spiel about how Live ROX because you won't listen anyway. But you can stay content over the idea I'm paying 50 bucks a year when I can get a 'comparable' service for free on another platform.

AniHawk

Mrbob said:
Truth comes out. Nintendo fans you need to pick better battles. I don't know why you are so enthusiastic to attempt to put down Live at every opportunity. I'm going to save the spiel about how Live ROX because you won't listen anyway. But you can stay contempt over the idea I'm paying 50 bucks a year when I can get a 'comparable' service for free on another platform.

Yeah, it's really upsetting that you're paying money for what other people can do for free.

jedimike

AniHawk said:
Indeedy, but that's pretty much the best thing you can do with the system right now. Only one game in December, and none in January (and only two in February).

The pace picks up again in March and having over 40 games to play in the launch window certainly does give users the incentive to play on-line. The launch line-up is one of the best ever.

Mrbob

AniHawk said:
Yeah, it's really upsetting that you're paying money for what other people can do for free.

That's the ticket! :D

You're wrong, of course. But keep the dream alive!

Don't get me started on the WiFi connection. I just started liking the DS, even a little bit. I don't want to think negative thoughts about Nintendo at the moment, as I don't want to take a positive and turn it into a negative!

AniHawk

Mrbob said:
That's the ticket! :D

You're wrong, of course. But keep the dream alive!

Don't get me started on the WiFi connection. I just started liking the DS, even a little bit. I don't want to think negative thoughts about Nintendo at the moment, as I don't want to take a positive and turn it into a negative!

I'm not talking about Nintendo Wi-Fi so much. I've never used it.

However, I have used R&C:UYA before, with a headset, and I didn't have to pay a single penny out of my pocket for a stupid subscription! And it has all the listings and rankings you could ever hope for! How sweet is that?

Of course, I've heard XBL has all these extras and bonuses that help justify your purchase, but I'd rather spend my time online BITCHING.

jedimike

AniHawk said:

What? Where? How come I haven't heard of it? Please tell me where I can get an XBL type service for free.

Mrbob

AniHawk said:
I'm not talking about Nintendo Wi-Fi so much. I've never used it.

However, I have used R&C:UYA before, with a headset, and I didn't have to pay a single penny out of my pocket for a stupid subscription! And it has all the listings and rankings you could ever hope for! How sweet is that?

Of course, I've heard XBL has all these extras and bonuses that help justify your purchase, but I'd rather spend my time online BITCHING.

So all you need is a headset and online connection to be the equivalent to Live? I'll have to remember this the next time I'm playing DoA4 or PD0, when I'm chatting online with someone while playing single player, seeing what all my friends are playing, and starting an online game while inviting them seamlessly from their game to the one I started! Sounds pretty comparable though. A+++

AniHawk

jedimike said:
What? Where? How come I haven't heard of it? Please tell me where I can get an XBL type service for free.

Other people can talk online while shooting each other and have their own names and rankings and such in plenty of PS2 games. I don't see what else I could want from a nonMMORPG title.

jedimike

AniHawk said:
Other people can talk online while shooting each other and have their own names and rankings and such in plenty of PS2 games. I don't see what else I could want from a nonMMORPG title.

I'd like to sit here and discuss the benefits of XBL with you, but I gotta go download Marble Blast Ultra. Once I get it downloaded, then I'll be looking to set some good scores on the leaderboards, accomplishing some achievements, and then getting some friends together for a little multiplayer. After I get the feel of the game, I'll have to go create a good playlist on my PC so I can stream while I'm playing. Sorry Ani... I hope I have some free time a little later. Of course you could send me your Gamertag and we can chat a bit online or I can drop you a text msg or voice message.

<3 JediMike

AniHawk

jedimike said:
I'd like to sit here and discuss the benefits of XBL with you, but I gotta go download Marble Blast Ultra. Once I get it downloaded, then I'll be looking to set some good scores on the leaderboards, accomplishing some achievements, and then getting some friends together for a little multiplayer. After I get the feel of the game, I'll have to go create a good playlist on my PC so I can stream while I'm playing. Sorry Ani... I hope I have some free time a little later. Of course you could send me your Gamertag and we can chat a bit online or I can drop you a text msg or voice message.

<3 JediMike

Hey, whatever you feel justifies your purchase.

I guess you have to play something, since there isn't really anything good coming out for about a month or so.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
jedimike said:

<3 JediMike

While I love the idea of high score tables that are updated via the internet, I'm still not sure it's worth paying MS cash for that little bonus.

GhaleonEB

AniHawk said:
Hey, whatever you feel justifies your purchase.

I guess you have to play something, since there isn't really anything good coming out for about a month or so.

This of course invalidates the entire service, and all the existing content.

:lol

:lol @ this thread and how suddenly it became quiet.

My opinion is that you can't compare what Live is to a free, no-frills title by title service, like what's going on with the DS. When it's free and fairly easy to use, of course, you're going to get a lot of people trying it out. The same as anything that's offered for free. However, I doubt you'll ever see anything near the scale of Live for free from Nintendo (or Sony). It's just not financially responsible for a business, and to see that happen from Nintendo seems like a fuzzy dream, IMO.

terrene

Banned
DavidDayton said:
While I love the idea of high score tables that are updated via the internet, I'm still not sure it's worth paying MS cash for that little bonus.
You don't. That's part of the Live service that is free out-of-the-box.

Top Bottom