• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo DS trademark registrations -- its's a Gameboy after all?

Rhindle

Potential DS Names Trademarked
By Daniel Kayser -- News Writer
Published 2:29 PM CDT, June 10, 2004

FYI...It's been reported that Nintendo submitted nine (yes, nine) different trademark applications concerning the name of their upcoming handheld know currently as the Nintendo DS. The nine submissions all consist of three letters with each one possessing the letters G and B, which of course would stand for "Game" and "Boy". The other character varies throughout the submissions in both location and letter, leaving wide open the possible name for Nintendo's latest device. The initialisms, which all went in to the Japanese patent and trademark database on March 19, are listed below:

DGB
EGB
GBD
GBE
GBN
GBY
TGB
WGB
XGB

So with the blessings of Chuck Woolery, we'll try to come up with the names that might be used by the above listed initials. Would it be possible that the "Game Boy Next", "Game Boy Dual" or my favorite, the "Trippy Game Boy" will be the namesake of Nintendo's next handheld...only time will tell!

GDGF

Soothsayer
Gameboy Dual

Gameboy Eh? :)

Gameboy Nitro (old code name)

GBY...no idea

TGB...no idea

WGB = Gameboy Wonderful :)

XGB = beating microsoft at their own game

DGB - Dual Game Boy
EGB - Enhanced Game Boy
GBD - Game Boy Dual
GBE - Game Boy Enhance
GBN - Game Boy New OR Game Boy Nitro
TGB - Twin Game Boy
XGB - Extra Game Boy

AniHawk

fo shizzle said:
DGB - Dual Game Boy
EGB - Enhanced Game Boy
GBD - Game Boy Dual
GBE - Game Boy Enhance
GBN - Game Boy New OR Game Boy Nitro
TGB - Twin Game Boy
XGB - Extra Game Boy

XGB - Xtreme Game Boy

I definitely think one of the main reasons why Nintendo was so keen on presenting the DS as a separate product from the Gameboy line was because they were still testing the waters with publishers and developers. Until they knew they would have their backing they wouldn't want to tarnish the spotless record of the Gameboy brand with a possible dud (Virtual Boy). Now that they have received support from basically everyone that matters they will probably call it something in the lines of Gameboy DS like some have suggested.

GDGF

Soothsayer
I like Gameboy Evolution myself. It sounds cool, and if they keep the code name Revolution for the new home console as the final name, It'll have a nice one two punch.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
Game Boy DS sounds more likely...

Although I'd assume that the GB name would mean that GB/GBC compatibility was assured... maybe.

GAME BOY DUO!

(dodges fists)

U are all assuming that the GB stands for Gameboy, they might have came up with a new name but intentionally used the gb initials (unlikely)

Also what is the possibility that this isnt about the ds at all but is for the next gameboy?

Top Bottom