• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo E3 2012 Conference Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Madden Wii for Wii's launch did perfectly fine at a minimal cost to EA.

Exactly. I can't understand some of the third party decision making tbh. If you produce a third party launch title you're looking at a title that will easily sell over 1m units. The likes of Madden, FIFA and Tiger Woods are made for the GamePad, and porting them and shoe-horning touchscreen controls for tactics, formations and having the controller giving the position of the ball is going to be easy and low cost, particularly given how easy the console is to develop for.

I guarantee you that the likes of ZombiU, Rayman Legends, Arkham City and Aliens Colonial Marines will all shift over 1m units.

I'm really surprised that the U isn't getting more quality third party support from the likes of EA and Activision especially.

I'm disappointed because given the site and release list, and their focus today, it looks like there won't be anything of note tomorrow.

There are 6 private videos in Nintendo's 3DS youtube playlist, so I'm expecting at least 6 new games to be shown tomorrow.

Nilaul

tumblr_m1iaiuEbBP1rqfhi2o1_500.gif

I still can not understand what has happened today...

They decided to make the non E3 one even more amazing.

Oh and what hurts even more is that Reggie came out and said something along the lines of "E3 is about games" ... yeah...

Yup, and he said they'd be showing 20+ games, driving up expectations further. It started so well and then sloped off into the abyss..

Sony did a similar thing, Tretton came out and acknowledged that they know all of these conferences would be picked apart and people would be declared winners and losers, then they sat on Book of Spells for what seemed like eternity.

I hope to god they've been absorbing the abuse online on Facebook and Twitter for the last few hours, they need to address the fact they half assed selling this console.

Ithil

You'd think after 17 years of E3, someone would know how to pace a conference.

None of the big 3 gave any indicator they had a clue in this regard.

So what happened? I know, I know - no third party titles, no first party titles, no information about online, specs, price, release date... but why?
Isn't this the last feasible opportunity for them to announce this information in the public eye? How did they honestly, possibly go through E3 without sharing ANY information at all? I feel as if I'm as clueless as I was last year, and patiently waiting it out till next E3.
But this is it. The console launches this year. What, are they going to show everything at the developer's roundtable tomorrow? Is that where all the software is announced, the multiplayer revealed, price etc?

I'm so utterly confused. Where was RETRO's new game that everyone's been talking about, that's been so hyped up? Other than Pikmin, where was Nintendo's classic game series? Not a single appearance otherwise? What the fuck? Mario Kart? Mario 3d? Zelda maybe? Metroid? Where was it all?
Several respected journalists/developers came out saying the line up for launch, both third and first party, was amazing... but looking down this list right now (bearing in mind MANY titles are labelled 'holiday' release), how could they even begin to claim this was the case?

I've come out of this conference even more confused than the last. How is that even possible?
Honestly, right now it feels as if either a) I've had a bad dream (you know the one's where everything's reasonable until you wake up - Pikmin wasn't even that graphically impressive lookihn back!) and the real conference is to come or b) they're releasing the console NEXT Christmas, with one more E3 to go for announcements...

Nintendo's corporate strategy of only really showing stuff due out within the next 9 or so months has bit them in the balls this E3. Its clear they limited their showing to what will be out just this year or very early next, and that is not what we hardcore forum dwellers wanted to see.

Then again, their openness to share more and more stuff through out the year has me convinced that they will do some kind of software blowout before launch to get people excited about next year.

Can anyone here who is at E3 and who has played NSMB U at some point please confirm if you must shake the Gamepad to hover as the Squirrel? Or did they at least also alternately map this to the triggers or another button as an option?

Raide

You'd think after 17 years of E3, someone would know how to pace a conference.

None of the big 3 gave any indicator they had a clue in this regard.

New hardware is usually the highlight of E3, so having Nintendo come out as somewhere in the middle, makes all this even more frustrating.

LeleSocho

Banned
And to think that after Sony's conference i was already laughing at them because i knew that Nintendo wasn't going to fuck this up...

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
On reflection there are only two moments of this conference that I would call downright bad: the super long explanation of the Luigi's Mansion video game and the baffling Arkham City demo.

The over emphasize on Nintendoland at the end is what really generated disappointment in a way that I even forgot about NSMBU, Ubigames and Pikmin 3. I thought at first it's Nintendo's Theme park sim but eventually it was just a Wii Play featuring Nintendo IPs.

Man, even hours later, I still can't get past just how obvious it is that this will be like the last three Nintendo consoles: a box you buy primarily to play first-party Nintendo software.

Don't get me wrong - I was never convinced that Wii U would ultimately turn out to be anything else, but all the talk about courting core gamers had convinced me that Nintendo was at least trying to prevent that. I feel so gullible.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
On reflection there are only two moments of this conference that I would call downright bad: the super long explanation of the Luigi's Mansion video game and the baffling Arkham City demo.

There was the long stretch of Wii U Fit, SiNG and Just Dance that was killing people too. Nintendo just paced the conference very poorly and didn't really save it at the end by introducing a party-game collection that people will shit on, regardless of how good it is and how well it'll see.

I'll be happy if they have Mario and Pikmin at launch with some supporting third party titles, even if half of them are ports. It's the months after I'll be worried about.

Nintendo doesn't have any (I think) games announced for 2013. They need to announce them sometime.

They've had a fall conference every year since at least 2006, with the exception of 2009. They need to have some kind of press event for announcing Wii U launch details, and since they did that for Wii in September 2006, it would make sense to repeat that timing.

Let's give ShockingAlberto the benefit of the doubt and say that EAD Tokyo's and Retro's games were pulled.

Nintendo still gave a shitty conference. They still reiterated points that Iwata made already in the Nintendo Direct when they could've gone over Nintendo Network. They still demoed a third-party game where the people interested in it were the ones who played it a year ago.

None of the tablet ideas looked particularly compelling or gave any sort of "Wow" factor. Further, the "original" IP of Nintendoland doesn't inspire curiosity about how it plays, contrary to how Wii Sports did.

They didn't show any graphical showcase that would make people even think that this would get anything better than ports of games from six-year-old hardware. They gave no assurance that they'd even receive the AAA ports from that hardware, such as Resident Evil 6.

They moneyhatted the president of Ubisoft to verbally fellate Reggie on stage in the one of the most embarrassing E3 moments ever. And then showed off a dual analog shooter after their last console handled FPS ten-times better.

They held off a Platinum Games title for some lame TV show, and even then Nintendo money-hatted a game by an amazing dev and it ends up looking just like a Nintendo game.

I mean, they only had a year to get their shit together. One entire, calendar year, and they couldn't plan a contingency to show some interesting 3DS stuff or at least the P-100 thing if a couple games got pulled.

Nintendo has no vision for this console, and it's been obvious since the DS-aping, third-party-appeasing dual-analog pad was revealed.

That was the worst fucking conference i've seen in my life. I've been watching E3 for 12 years and nothing even comes close to the piece of shit that was this conference. That's it, I'm done. I'm selling all my Nintendo games and consoles tomorrow. You just lost a fan, and not just any fan, a big one.

My humble, Star Fox-inspired tribute to you, sir:

General Pepper Reacts To E3.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZ-H-CoQA9w

75LKL.png

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.

The one bit I found bad was Reggie explaining how little time they had for ages. Come on Reggie, this isn't a Sony conference. Stop stretching it out and get on with it.

They've had a fall conference every year since at least 2006, with the exception of 2009. They need to have some kind of press event for announcing Wii U launch details, and since they did that for Wii in September 2006, it would make sense to repeat that timing.

Oh right, they need to do that too. Though it'd be weird to announce non-launch games at a conference for announcing launch details.

bachikarn

Man, even hours later, I still can't get past just how obvious it is that this will be like the last three Nintendo consoles: a box you buy primarily to play first-party Nintendo software.

Don't get me wrong - I was never convinced that Wii U would ultimately turn out to be anything else, but all the talk about courting core gamers had convinced me that Nintendo was at least trying to prevent that. I feel so gullible.

GC had decent third party support. Most of the big games were there, although it may have been shitty ports. I fear that the third party support for the Wii U will be even worse.

Gintamen

So what happened? I know, I know - no third party titles, no first party titles, no information about online, specs, price, release date... but why?
Isn't this the last feasible opportunity for them to announce this information in the public eye? How did they honestly, possibly go through E3 without sharing ANY information at all?
Three months to go till TGS'12, so they have one big chance this year to present something to gamers instead of investors.

Cake Boss

Banned
I missed this as I had a doctor`s appointment.

So in a new console launch conference they didnt reveal any

Final Hardware specs
Pricing
Accessory Pricing
Launch date
Launch Titles
Online infrastructure
The user interface

Plus the games that were expected to be there or rumored in development.

Where is that Zelda they showed last E3
3D Mario
Smash Bros
Any new IPs
etc

Mistle

If we get a Retro and EAD trailer by the end of E3 then perhaps they can be redeemed!

Not getting any hopes up though, lol

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
So ZombiU seems to be getting positive impressions from the show floor. Surprised on that one. You know, assuming there is some Japanese 3rd party stuff coming, and knowing that Retro was pulled, this wasn't that bad- I've calmed down a bit. But Western third party support is very very troublesome.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
I missed this as I had a doctor`s appointment.

So in a new console launch conference they didnt reveal any

Final Hardware specs
Pricing
Accessory Pricing
Launch date
Launch Titles
Online infrastructure
The user interface

Plus the games that were expected to be there or rumored in development.

Where is that Zelda they showed last E3
3D Mario
Smash Bros
Any new IPs
etc

We knew they were not revealing price and date, they said this before hand. Nintendo never comes straight out with specs either. They gave us a very rough spec sheet that basically tells us nothing. UI was shown on the Nintendo Direct the day before, but nothing about the online infrastructure as a whole.

lulz, people with expectations.

so do we have a roundup of all the gaf "insiders" that thought to know and gave info on games they claimed were going to be announced by nintendo at e3? i feel as though there seemed to be more than a few of these false prophets.

antonz

So ZombiU seems to be getting positive impressions from the show floor. Surprised on that one. You know, assuming there is some Japanese 3rd party stuff coming, and knowing that Retro was pulled, this wasn't that bad- I've calmed down a bit. But Western third party support is very very troublesome.

I think ZombiU will end up being successful because they are going the survival horror direction with it. Thats the biggest complaint people have with RE it left that and has gone COD.

A Hardcore focused Permadeath style Survival Horror game. You cant get any more core than that as far as gamers go.

Nilaul

The one bit I found bad was Reggie explaining how little time they had for ages. Come on Reggie, this isn't a Sony conference. Stop stretching it out and get on with it.

"We have so little time so instead, we decided to make you guys wait till our fall conference"
That is some class trolling from Nintendo :p

Dambrosi

Banned
This conference was to please the shareholders.
Correct.

That can't be emphasized enough. At least at E3, Nintendo is Serious Big Boy Business. It's all part of being a publically-traded corporation. If they were privately-owned like Valve, you wouldn't even see them at E3, so be thankful.

That said, Nintendo has one more chance to save E3, and they'd better be firing on every cylinder they can scrounge up. After today's "shows"*, video gaming needs its credibility back.

*Apart from Watch_Dogs and ZombiU, which both appeal to the Demon's/Dark Souls fan in me.

My humble, Star Fox-inspired tribute to you, sir:

General Pepper Reacts To E3.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZ-H-CoQA9w

75LKL.png
Oh my God, that's PERFECT! :lol:

Nilaul

I think ZombiU will end up being successful because they are going the survival horror direction with it. Thats the biggest complaint people have with RE it left that and has gone COD.

A Hardcore focused Permadeath style Survival Horror game. You cant get any more core than that as far as gamers go.

ZombiU is everything that the new Resident Evil is not.

Smellycat

I enjoyed the conference, but I was disappointed at the lack of first party games.

And where the hell was Iwata? Apparently, there were last minute changes done to the conference, and some game were pulled. I am thinking that there will be a surprise conference later on this week.

Tookay

Well ShockingAlberto is saying in chat that some things were changed last minute that would have made the conference a little bit better. Like a demo of Aliens instead of Batman. Also some Nintendo first party games (EAD Toykto and Retro) were pulled for mysterious reasons. Take it for what it's worth.

I understand the thought process behind this.

Nintendo thinks that Nintendoland is the casual-focus title that will win the Wii U into people's homes. It doesn't want mainstream journalists (NYT, USA Today) getting the message confused and talking about other franchises, it wants them to focus the narrative on NL.

That doesn't mean I like it. Of course, if they reveal something at a later conference, all is redeemed.

Sort of.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom