• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo E3 2014 - discussion thread for their E3 plans

Status
Not open for further replies.

TriGen

Anyone else take off work on june 10th? What are your guys E3 rituals? I'm trying to think of appropriate food/drinks for the occasion, too. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Yeah, I actually take off both conference days.

The last couple years actually I've traveled to my brother's house (few hours away) and stayed during E3 and the weekend prior, basically a whole little E3 trip. This year however it seems like he might not be able to get off, so I'll stay home and probably stock up on snacks, while keeping up with the internet's reactions. That's actually the only thing I've missed since going to my brother's is seeing the internet explode in real-time, as we usually just hang out ourselves as oppose to reading reactions and stuff like that. So, I figure, if I'm on my own this year I'll just kick back and relax in front of the computer and watch GAF and the rest of the internet explode.

kankki

Senior Project Lead, NX Hardware Design at Nintendo of Europe
Living in Finland has its perks this one time of year. Nintendo's show starts at 19:00, perfect time! And the other guys conferences are decently timed as well.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
I've booked the whole week off work. Will have to stock up on popcorn, Doritos, and Mountain Dew.

All week? I thought it's only best if. People take Monday and Tuesday off but there is best buy demo however we don't know schedule yet. I'm still waiting to hear more on those.

Conezays

I wonder if there's going to be any more "adult-like" NFC games planned or if they're going to be targeting purely the Skylanders audience with these game(s). Also, given something like 4 player co-op in Mario 3D World, I wonder if they'd do something like just buying new toys for different characters in games like it.

rokero

I wonder if there's going to be any more "adult-like" NFC games planned or if they're going to be targeting purely the Skylanders audience with these game(s). Also, given something like 4 player co-op in Mario 3D World, I wonder if they'd do something like just buying new toys for different characters in games like it.
FE X SMT figures would sell really good in Japan at least

I can see then targeted Japan more with the NFC figures but with Skylanders so big in the states it would be a massive challenge. I'm hoping for more adult Nintendo experiences like Metroid, Wave Race and even something like Eternal Darkness. I'm tired of the games they've been churning out lately.

I did it GAF, Mario Kart and $200 (maybe even less if I can sell Nintendoland?) pushed me over the edge.

jIhdJPa5cMBU9.PNG

Purely personal preference talking here, but you'd be doing yourself a disservice selling Nintendo Land - you'll get enough enjoyment out of it to more than offset the ten bucks or so you'd get from selling it. Just give it a try with some friends, trust me.

What? Why would anyone expect a Mega Man game, especially an exclusive, now with the series is basically dead? Unless we're talking VC games or something.

Well, Mega May could be leading up to a new Mega Man announcement, yeah? If I recall correctly 9 and 10 both sold well for them, right? I'd love to see a new mega man game, either in the main series, X, or something new... At least we've got Mighty No 9 to look forward to :)

rokero

I can see then targeted Japan more with the NFC figures but with Skylanders so big in the states it would be a massive challenge. I'm hoping for more adult Nintendo experiences like Metroid,Wave Race and even something like Eternal Darkness. I'm tired of the games they've been churning out lately.
New entries in the wave race or 1080 franchises would be amazing Nintendo should really embrace sports again. About Eternal Darkness sadly I think it's dead Jim

Linkhero1

I can see then targeted Japan more with the NFC figures but with Skylanders so big in the states it would be a massive challenge. I'm hoping for more adult Nintendo experiences like Metroid, Wave Race and even something like Eternal Darkness. I'm tired of the games they've been churning out lately.

I would love a new ED or Metroid title. ED seems less likely to happen but doesn't Nintendo have to release something ED related so they hold on to the trademark?

georly

You are making Dorito pope smile right now. Such magnificient children he has.

I go to taco bell and order doritos locos tacos and mtn dew for the M$ conference monday. I watch during my lunch break then get back to work. Sony is at night, so whatevers. Tuesday, i'm taking the whole day off since it seems like nintendo will be doing stuff all day long w/ smash tournament + treehouse stuff.

elp21

Neo Member
i just got my mario kart 8 preorder at nintendo world and the cashier guy was telling me about some of the stuff nintendo is unveiling at E3. He said they are going to start selling really nice nintendo figurines that are unique to each purchase. they have little unique barcodes that can be scanned via 3ds camera or wii u thing, and can be upgraded and leveled up via gameplay achievements. sounds interesting if true.

MCN

Banned
All week? I thought it's only best if. People take Monday and Tuesday off but there is best buy demo however we don't know schedule yet. I'm still waiting to hear more on those.

I live in the UK, so the Best Buy thing doesn't affect me. I'm also a volunteer, and I'm about due some time off anyway, as I've been working very hard over the past few months to steer the organisation I work for through a change in management.

rokero

i just got my mario kart 8 preorder at nintendo world and the cashier guy was telling me about some of the stuff nintendo is unveiling at E3. He said they are going to start selling really nice nintendo figurines that are unique to each purchase. they have little unique barcodes that can be scanned via 3ds camera or wii u thing, and can be upgraded and leveled up via gameplay achievements. sounds interesting if true.
The 3DS cemra being use sounds unlikely since Nintendo already revealed an NFC dongle for 3DS

Riki

The 3DS cemra being use sounds unlikely since Nintendo already revealed an NFC dongle for 3DS
Impossible, actually.
It uses NFC technology. The figurines have readable and writable chips in them that an NFC reader can use to get and store data on.

Shauni

While I could see something like this, I really wouldn't bank on a cashier at Nintendo World actually knowing anything.

Hiltz

Do Sega still count as a co-publisher on Bayonetta 2 or is the IP 100% Platinum's?

Platinum Games doesn't own any of its IPs. All the titles Sega published for Platinum belong to Sega. As for Bayonetta 2, Nintendo is the sole publisher of it. It seems like Nintendo licensed the IP from Sega through a contract deal in order to obtain the legal rights to use the Bayonetta IP and exclusively fund its development for the sequel. While Sega still owns Bayonetta IP, the deal Nintendo made with Sega is that Sega cannot legally publish a port Bayonetta 2 to any platform because Nintendo essentially bought the rights to legally and financially development and publish Bayonetta 2. Nintendo would need Sega's permission to do a port of Bayonetta 1, Bayonetta 3, or even a spin-off title. By the way, Sega was said to be serving as a consultant on Bayonetta 2 and Sega probably gave Platinum permission to have access to Bayonetta 1 assets for the purpose of Platinum developing the sequel.

balohna

Platinum Games doesn't own any of its IPs. All the titles Sega published for Platinum belong to Sega. As for Bayonetta 2, it seems like Nintendo licensed the IP from Sega through a contract deal in order to obtain the legal rights to use the Bayonetta IP and exclusively fund its development for the sequel. While Sega still owns Bayonetta IP, the deal Nintendo made with Sega is that Sega cannot legally publish a port Bayonetta 2 to any platform because Nintendo essentially bought the rights to legally and financially development and publish Bayonetta 2. Nintendo would need Sega's permission to do a port of Bayonetta 1, Bayonetta 3, or even a spin-off title. By the way, Sega was said to be serving as a consultant on Bayonetta 2 and Sega probably gave Platinum permission to have access to Bayonetta 1 assets for the purpose of Platinum developing the sequel.

Ok, thanks. So it sounds like Bayonetta 2 could be one of the Sega games mentioned earlier, but it also might not be. Feels pretty grey to me.

Riki

Looks like Sega had 4 Wii U titles slated for this FY. Wonder what they could be?

-Sonic Boom
-Puyo Puyo Something

The other two, I have no clue.
Sonic Boom (NA)
Sonic Boom (EU)
Sonic AllStar Racing Transformed (JP)
?????

The fourth could just be Sonic Boom (JP).

Richie

It would have to be, unless the 4th game is exclusive to one territory.

There's precedent for this with the Yakuza HD collection, but I think (hope!) all of the four games will be released worldwide. That said, I wonder if a hypothetical port of Bayonetta 1 to the U would count as one of the four games.

pronk420

New entries in the wave race or 1080 franchises would be amazing Nintendo should really embrace sports again. About Eternal Darkness sadly I think it's dead Jim

i totally forgot about wave race and 1080. 1080 for wii u or 3ds would be amazing, just so long as they include controller support

I want to see a promising Zelda WiiU trailer but not expecting much else other than that.

As someone who bought a Wii U early on I would like to see just a brand new console of some sort with renewed 3rd party support and much better online integration.

Nintendo needs to stop being a toy company and start being a tech company.

I want to see a promising Zelda WiiU trailer but not expecting much else other than that.

As someone who bought a Wii U early on I would like to see just a brand new console of some sort with renewed 3rd party support and much better online integration.

Nintendo has been a toy company for, as of this coming September 23, 125 years, a full eighth of a millenium. When they branched out in the 60's or so, the reason they excelled with toys and electronic games above all else had been because their playing card business had given them experiencee with games and toys. To this day, Nintendo views their video games as toys, not art and not sports. Becoming a tech company could easily prove disasterous, given the massive change in area of expertise required and their unwillingness to take large losses on hardware unless absolutely nessecary.

Riki

Video games are toys. Nintendo will never be a tech company. Tech companies take huge amounts of people and money.
This is just silly to even want. Nintendo has no business being a tech company. They make toys and entertainment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom