• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo E3 plans detailed

To be honest, 2014 was great...for a core Nintendo fan.

I looked back at some comments from the E3 2014 thread and as well as the Giant Bomb thread and it looks like some of the non-fans weren't exactly enthused with it. I kinda see why, it was mostly a lot of "niche" stuff like Bayonetta, Hyrule Warriors and Xenoblade, and some smaller scaled titles like Kirby Rainbow Curse, Captain Toad and Mario Maker. I mean the big Smash character reveal at the end was an anime trailer revolving around a secondary character from a minor Nintendo franchise.

Of course, I am a core Nintendo fan, and I happen to adore that secondary character from that minor Nintendo franchise, so E3 2014 was pretty great for me. But, I could kinda see why people who don't particularly care about stuff like Bayonetta, Xenoblade and Kid Icarus probably weren't hugely enthralled by the event.

Talking about people like this, by the way.
Well.. what did they expect watching a video about Nintendo games.

Tf?

Instro

I would agree with this, though I would consider taking 2013 off the list. I don't think it's in quite the same league as the others, though it wasn't bad by any means.

2013 is borderline I think. They announced and showed just enough good looking content for it not to be a bad show, but it was a also a very safe showing relying on a lot of familiar stuff outside of Bayo and X, which had previously been announced. It also looks worse in the context of it being up against console announcements that year.

Overall, I think Nintendo's E3 should be good. I find it a bit hard to believe we saw EVERYTHING they had to offer for the rest of the year and early 2018 back in January. Usually, Nintendo tends to keep their hands a bit close to their chest and they're not shy about announcing games only a few months from release. Not to mention, seeing as the Wii U has been mostly left for dead these past few years and they began to mostly move away from the 3DS last year as well, I think we may be surprised by how much they have to show. Of course, since Nintendo also has their Directs to announce new games and make some odd decisions here and there, their E3 can disappoint but I'm cautiously optimistic here

Nah, 2013 was pretty good, with games like 3D World, Smash, Tropical Freeze, etc. Wasn't the most entertaining but had pretty good announcements overall. In recent years, starting from around 2010, I'd say only 2011, 2012, and 2015 were outright bad. Everything else was decent to good, with some, like 2010 and 2014, being great. Last year was mainly on BotW and, considering the hype it drummed up that didn't end even after the game's release, I'd say it did its job

2013 had good stuff but it was very bland and had a lot of fan backlash at the time which I can say made it a bad show. 2011 on the other hand was a good show that died a death when the Wii U was shown. It was like a movie that had 2 good acts and the final act was just so bad.

Terrell

To be honest, 2014 was great...for a core Nintendo fan.

I looked back at some comments from the E3 2014 thread and as well as the Giant Bomb thread and it looks like some of the non-fans weren't exactly enthused with it. I kinda see why, it was mostly a lot of "niche" stuff like Bayonetta, Hyrule Warriors and Xenoblade, and some smaller scaled titles like Kirby Rainbow Curse, Captain Toad and Mario Maker. I mean the big Smash character reveal at the end was an anime trailer revolving around a secondary character from a minor Nintendo franchise.

Of course, I am a core Nintendo fan, and I happen to adore that secondary character from that minor Nintendo franchise, so E3 2014 was pretty great for me. But, I could kinda see why people who don't particularly care about stuff like Bayonetta, Xenoblade and Kid Icarus probably weren't hugely enthralled by the event.

Talking about people like this, by the way.

Non-fans and fans alike were still pissy about the fact it wasn't a "real conference" and things were painted in a different light because of that.

Also, first major new Nintendo IP in years, and it looked really good, after fans had been banging on and on for Nintendo to make new IPs since the Wii era? How did you somehow skip past that in discussing E3 2014?

And calling Mario Maker "small-scale" kind of makes the premise you're drudging up more questionable, when even the press were quite happy to see something they and many gamers have been wanting for years come to the fore.

The only reason that E3 2014 wasn't well-received is because everything was for a console no one wanted and they didn't like the presentation method.

I recall E3 2011 being a bit disappointing even before the Wii U reveal because it was mostly just regurgitated stuff from previous events. Kid Icarus Uprising, Star Fox 64 3D, Mario Kart 7 and such were already announced back at 2010 and Mario 3D Land was first shown off in screenshots back at GDC. So IIRC, the only game we previously didn't know about before the 2011 conference was actually Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon. And those Wii U demos that turned into full games like NSMBMii.

2013 had good stuff but it was very bland and had a lot of fan backlash at the time which I can say made it a bad show. 2011 on the other hand was a good show that died a death when the Wii U was shown it was like a movie that had 2 good acts and the final act was just so bad.
Yeah, the Direct presentation wasn't the best that year, seeing as it was the first time they were trying the format out for E3. But, personally, I wouldn't use fan backlash at the time to say it was a bad show, considering a huge chunk of them were just salty that Nintendo didn't do a live press conference. I'm mainly judging the E3's themselves off of their content as I find a good chunk of most E3 conferences to be rather boring, save for the game announcements

Ehh...but, even at the time, I don't think most looked back on 2011 fondly. It was neat to finally see an HD Nintendo system and it did drum up some interest in the more hardcore community but it had a confusing delivery, making a lot of people think it was a Wii accessory, and there weren't many trailers or announcements to drum up hype

Axass

yf2BC5o.png

Now, let's look at Retro's output so far, focusing on the gap between the main releases:

Metroid Prime 2 is out only two years after the first, re-using assets and engine made that quick.

Prime 3 is on a new system (Wii), yet they manage to put it out in 3 years.

DKC Returns comes out only 3 years after Prime 3 again, even though it's a completely different game, and they also released MP Trilogy in the meantime.

Tropical Freeze releases in 2014, but was actually already done in November 2013 and delayed due to a software drought, so it's 3 years again, for a game on a new system (Wii U) while they also co-developed DKCR 3D and Mario Kart 7, both on another new system (3DS)!!

Don't forget that all of those 5 games are huge critical successes. At this point it's clear that:

1) Retro knows how to complete games on a constant 2-3 years schedule, while also doing other side-stuff.
2) They adapt quickly to new tech and new systems.
3) They can juggle vastly different genres (adventure, shooter, platformer, racing) with no problem.

So how is it that it's 2017, three years and a half (probably more) after their last game went gold, and yet no signs of a new game? At this point in time their new game should've already been released! Can't be a matter of having to develop for a new system or a new genre as far as we've seen.

I see three possible options:

1) They were far into development of the game when they were told that they had to switch to a new system (still, weird it took them this long).
2) They have one game done, which is ready to ship at the right time (see Mario Odyssey: Nintendo has been sitting on it since February and will keep sitting on it till November), and they're working on the next one already.
3) They lent a hand to several other Nintendo projects.

Could also be all three things together.

My main takeaways are that Retro's new game will be shown 100% at E3 and that its release can't be that far off, most probably less than a year away.

maxcriden

I guess based on the original announcement image in the OP part of me has assumed the Spotlight will mainly focus on Odyssey with a limited look at other games, in a mixing of the Zelda only format last year with the Direct format of previous years, but I suppose that is unfounded when I look at the image again and read the text.

Gonna do my final predictions since we are less than two weeks away:

1. Super Mario Odyssey gameplay + November release date
2. Arms reminder
3. Splatoon 2 reminder
4. FE Warriors new gameplay, new character reveal, and September release date
5. Monster Hunter XX Localization Announcement along with October release date
6. Mario + Rabbids: Kingdom Battle gameplay reveal with August release date
7. Pokken Tournament Deluxe announcement coming in October
8. Tales of Berseria for Switch coming in January 2018
9. Xenoblade Chronicles 2 gameplay with December 2017 release date
10. Fifa Sports thing coming in September
11. Indie Sizzle Reel with release dates for Owlboy, Wargroove, and Pocket Rumble
12. One surprise no one saw coming
13. Skyrim coming to Switch in September

It will be a good showing but won't set the world on fire

DMONKUMA

I guess based on the original announcement image in the OP part of me has assumed the Spotlight will mainly focus on Odyssey with a limited look at other games, in a mixing of the Zelda only format last year with the Direct format of previous years, but I suppose that is unfounded when I look at the image again and read the text.

Mario is the headliner. It will probably be shown first and/or have the most time out of all the 2017 titles shown.

If this E3 is underwhelming, and it might be, at least there are some logical assurances that it was more consciously underwhelming than accidentally so.

That is to say, it is probably more that they didn't show everything they had rather than there not being anything to show.

At least, hopefully.

Probably, but I'll still be disappointed if Smash, Stars, and Rabbids are the only presently unannounced games shown.

I have a feeling there'll be at least a couple more, though. But yeah, I don't expect to see too much of their lineup beyond the current fiscal year. (Which I'm honestly fine with - this industry could use more <12-month hype cycles.)

2. Arms reminder
3. Splatoon 2 reminder
5. Monster Hunter XX Localization Announcement along with October release date
6. Mario + Rabbids: Kingdom Battle gameplay reveal with August release date
7. Pokken Tournament Deluxe announcement coming in October
8. Tales of Berseria for Switch coming in January 2018
10. Fifa Sports thing coming in September
11. Indie Sizzle Reel with release dates for Owlboy, Wargroove, and Pocket Rumble
13. Skyrim coming to Switch in September

I really don't see Monster Hunter being in this as a main segment at all, at best it'd show up as part of a sizzle reel. Same with a hypothetical Berseria port

MoonFrog

Probably, but I'll still be disappointed if Smash, Stars, and Rabbids are the only presently unannounced games shown.

I have a feeling there'll be at least a couple more, though. But yeah, I don't expect to see too much of their lineup beyond the current fiscal year. (Which I'm honestly fine with - this industry could use more <12-month hype cycles.)

I'm hoping a peak into first half 2018, which mostly meets at least the latter of the bolded and would also meet the former of the bolded to a certain point, lets us see some exciting, unheard of games. Like whatever Retro is doing and some third party support from core partners. Perhaps it also covers announced titles, like Fire Emblem.

Perhaps somewhere in there is Metroid even!

That landscape could, in fact, be disappointing. But I have hopes for it.

I think a last-half of 2017 only e3 would probably disappoint me, i.e. the sort of e3 in your first paragraph.

Mario is probably going to be a game I have to get in my hands. Same for Xenoblade if it makes the year--what they've shown so far has not spoken to me.

maxcriden

Mario is the headliner. It will probably be shown first and/or have the most time out of all the 2017 titles shown.

For sure - I totally agree, and that's a-ok with me though I won't watch it because I've already seen far too much of the game in the January presentation. I just would selfishly prefer it's not a >35% Mario presentation.

DMONKUMA

For sure - I totally agree, and that's a-ok with me though I won't watch it because I've already seen far too much of the game in the January presentation. I just would selfishly prefer it's not a >35% Mario presentation.

Yeah I don't see it taking a huge amount of time, if anything a good chuck of it will take up the treehouse when shown.

I mean, they have:

June-ARMS
July-Splatoon 2
August-???
September-Rabbids
October-Fire Emblem Warriors (probably?)
November-Mario
December-Xenoblade

And then they might have Smash and Pokemon in Q1.

So that's semi crowded for them already if they're only going to do the current fiscal year.

I mean, they have:

June-ARMS
July-Splatoon 2
August-???
September-Rabbids
November-Mario
December-Xenoblade

So that's semi crowded for them already if they're only going to do the current fiscal year.

Nintendo has released multiple first party titles in November before so a Pokémon and Mario release is not crazy. Also all the leaks seem to point to a MarioxRabbids August release.

I mean, they have:

June-ARMS
July-Splatoon 2
August-???
September-Rabbids
November-Mario
December-Xenoblade

Based of Hyrule Warriors Release date I'd probably expect FE: Warriors to be released in August as well but The Mario x Rabbids leak showed an August release date for that so i'd probably push FE Warriors to September sharing the month with Skyrim Switch Edition. October will probably have an unannounced E3 title or be covered by Japanese Localizations like Monster Hunter XX or Dragonball Xenoverse 2.

Terrell

2. Arms reminder - Will be relegated to the open invitational tourney
3. Splatoon 2 reminder - But it will be very brief, as this also has the world invitational
5. Monster Hunter XX Localization Announcement along with October release date - Nope, will be passed over and left to Capcom to announce
6. Mario + Rabbids: Kingdom Battle gameplay reveal with August release date Full reveal will be handled by Ubisoft, will be kept to the sizzle reel
7. Pokken Tournament Deluxe announcement coming in October TPC will announce this later, E3 will be for Pokemon Stars
8. Tales of Berseria for Switch coming in January mid 2018 - Not seeing it being a Berseria port, personally, despite it being apparently the best writing in the series, may even be held off until TGS
10. Fifa Sports thing coming in September - I REALLY don't want them to make a big deal out of this, but they will
11. Indie Sizzle Reel with release dates for Owlboy, Wargroove, and Pocket Rumble Will have a separate sizzle reel from the Spotlight presentation
13. Skyrim coming to Switch in September - Will be kept for Bethesda to talk about at their own conference

It will be a good showing but won't set the world on fire

I fixed your list. Here's my predictions based on what I brought up earlier:

Super Mario Odyssey gameplay + November release date
Short Splatoon 2 Squid Research Lab trailer, leading into...
Full discussion of online details (final pricing, how it all works, big show of how it's different from XBL/PS+, etc)
Virtual Console announcement and details (hopefully with new VC platforms and the return of VC Arcade)
Smash Bros. for Switch, adding all 3DS content and DLC into the package, with maybe 1 or 2 new characters (probably inklings), October release
FE Warriors new gameplay, new character reveal, and September release date
Xenoblade Chronicles 2 gameplay with December 2017 release date for Japan, possibly early 2018 for the rest
Dragon Quest XI details, will be brief
Fifa Sports thing coming in September, because EA will demand it to be there instead of their own conference
Platinum's new game for Switch
A few surprise announcements from Nintendo and 3rd-parties (possibly Tales, Souls collection, FFVII remake, etc.)
End with Pokemon Stars for Switch

What would your reaction be if both Metroid and Retro Studios are in the E3 presentation, but are separate? Like say Retro is making another Donkey Kong game and Metroid is being handled by some other studio.

¯\_(&#12484;)_/¯

Parshias7

What would your reaction be if both Metroid and Retro Studios are in the E3 presentation, but are separate? Like say Retro is making another Donkey Kong game and Metroid is being handled by some other studio.

If the game is coming next year then that statement makes sense. Unless they have two projects where the DK title isn't the main title they were working on for 3.5 years.

My bet is the former.

So this new DK would have 2 composers (Wise and Deus Ex guy?) or are we to assume the Deus Ex guy has been hired for a post-DK project (but even if that's the line of thinking why hire a composer so early in a projects development?)

I'm great with it as long as the Metroid game is being developed by a competent team. I just don't know which studio they would partner with for Metroid.

DMONKUMA

I'd been fine if it meets certain requirements....
1. It's a game on the Switch
2. It's not some bullshit that detracts from the Metroid series like FF

So this new DK would have 2 composers (Wise and Deus Ex guy?) or are we to assume the Deus Ex guy has been hired for a post-DK project (but even if that's the line of thinking why hire a composer so early in a projects development?)

Having multiple composers on a single project isn't strange so it could be a likely scenario, plus the other composer has worked on stuff that goes in line with DK. Who knows though until the project is reveal.

Sadist

At this point, I keep my expectations in check:

- Super Mario Odyssey
- Mario x Rabbids Kingdom Battle
- Fire Emblem Warriors
- Splatoon 2
- Xenoblade 2

Are the ones I'm sure off will appear and I'll just see what else gets announced or shown. As usual third party support will be minimal, but there will be one announcement that will make us go "huh, really? Thats strange". Same goes for one surprise announcement from Nintendo themselves which makes forums explode I suppose. With this I'd say I'm not getting overhyped.

While RETRO has become this mythical "what are they working on now!???" studio, I've been feeling a bit down on them. The Armature departure resulted in two studios that can't make a good metroid.
Taking a whopping 3+ years to make DKCTF is a bit concerning too especially since it sounds like they needed a ton of help from Monster Games which is now making Nascar games.
I don't really know what they're capable of now. Don't know if they can make a new Metroid, don't really care about them making a new IP just because "OMG, NEW IP", and a 3rd DK game would be very very boring unless it's a 3D one...which would've been more exciting if Mario Odyssey wasn't coming out this year
Not much longer till we (likely) see it. If not then that Studio is probably in some big trouble since it has been 3 years and 4 months since their last game came out and they used to say that they were a studio putting out a game every 3 years.

Retro has a perfect track record. I will have complete faith in them until they release a game that's less than stellar. Also, in my experience, a well orchestrated company can survive a lot of turnover. Likewise, a company with poor structure and organization can remain bad despite bringing in top talent.

Seriously Retro's game has to be there. I will take Donkey Kong again over not showing anything. 2 games would be awesome perhaps that is why they took so long to reveal it. Maybe Donkey Kong Banana warfare and Freeze 2. Yellow cartridge looking like a banana. Life time banana supply if you pre order both games. Make it happen Nintendo

On the flipside, I've been whining for years that Retro should be working on 2 games at a time. I've learned my lesson there as well - I'll assume that's not the case until they say otherwise.

Mainly waiting to see if NoA announces a Splatoon bundle for North America, or hell even just the special pro controller.

Yeah, considering Digital Foundry estimates that a Switch+ could only really happen in 2 years or so, assuming the lineup is good, that's the version I'll get.

Aleh

The only reason that E3 2014 wasn't well-received is because everything was for a console no one wanted

Pretty much this. Looking back to that E3 now, it was actually pretty good, but back then I just couldn't give a single crap about the Wii U and that was never gonna change no matter how many awesome games they could show. Switch is a whole different beast.

Wamb0wneD

Metroid
Okami 2
F Zero
Gamecube VC with Paper Mario TTYD / FF Crystal Chronicles / Eternal Darkness
Believe
Maybe at 2018 E3 :/

hatchx

Banned
yf2BC5o.png

1) They were far into development of the game when they were told that they had to switch to a new system (still, weird it took them this long).
2) They have one game done, which is ready to ship at the right time (see Mario Odyssey: Nintendo has been sitting on it since February and will keep sitting on it till November), and they're working on the next one already.

I see a fourth option. They are working on a really ambitious, perhaps open-world or MMO project.

Dystify

If Retro's working on an IP that they haven't worked on before it's entirely possible that they're taking a while longer to develop this game. They've also had some staff changes over the past years that might have influenced the development. There's a lot that can go wrong when you make a new game, delays aren't really a new thing in this industry.

Even if the game is done within the next months I don't expect a launch this year though as it's already packed with releases. I think it'll launch in the first half of 2018. I fully expect their game to be at E3 either way.

Spirited

Mine is pretty and pink
For some reason I expect Pikmin 4 to get announced, nothing fancy maybe even just announced in the same way fire emblem switch was announced without a trailer.

DMONKUMA

If Retro's working on an IP that they haven't worked on before it's entirely possible that they're taking a while longer to develop this game. They've also had some staff changes over the past years that might have influenced the development. There's a lot that can go wrong when you make a new game, delays aren't really a new thing in this industry.

Even if the game is done within the next months I don't expect a launch this year though as it's already packed with releases. I think it'll launch in the first half of 2018. I fully expect their game to be at E3 either way.

At least on gaf I'm sure everyone expects their game to be out next year. It would be cool to see what else they tackle as even before the Prime series they experiment with different genres from racing to Action RPG.

Peléo

Could totally see that. Nintendo is trying to meet popular genres.

I don't think that explains the philosophy behind their development process. Splatoon wasn't the result of Nintendo's developers thinking: 'Shooters are popular, let's see how we can design one that appeals to our audience'. Normally they create a gameplay concept and explore it in many different ways. If they can sense some potential, they build a game around it. The Iwata Asks about Splatoon is an excellent read to verify this. Same applies for ARMS. They are sometimes influenced by other games (such as the developers of BotW mentioning the Witcher 3 or Sakurai's weekly columns), but never to a high degree.

Many people say Nintendo should do a MOBA based on popularity, but it will never happen this way for the reason above. It will only come to fruition through an organic process. Ignoring industry trends is a blessing and a curse for Nintendo and its consumers (more on the blessing side in my opinion).

Oregano

I fixed your list. Here's my predictions based on what I brought up earlier:

Super Mario Odyssey gameplay + November release date
Short Splatoon 2 Squid Research Lab trailer, leading into...
Full discussion of online details (final pricing, how it all works, big show of how it's different from XBL/PS+, etc)
Virtual Console announcement and details (hopefully with new VC platforms and the return of VC Arcade)
Smash Bros. for Switch, adding all 3DS content and DLC into the package, with maybe 1 or 2 new characters (probably inklings), October release
FE Warriors new gameplay, new character reveal, and September release date
Xenoblade Chronicles 2 gameplay with December 2017 release date for Japan, possibly early 2018 for the rest
Dragon Quest XI details, will be brief
Fifa Sports thing coming in September, because EA will demand it to be there instead of their own conference
Platinum's new game for Switch
A few surprise announcements from Nintendo and 3rd-parties (possibly Tales, Souls collection, FFVII remake, etc.)
End with Pokemon Stars for Switch

¯_(&#12484;)_/¯

Whatever Tales it is will more than likely be announced at the Tales Festival this weekend in Japan.

E3 2014 was mindblowing.

Robot Chicken skits. Matrix fights (feat. E. Honda Iwata). Location visits (yarn shop, aquarium, etc). Mii Fighters, Palutena, Pac-Man, amiibo, Smash Invitational. BotW reveal. Captain Toad, Kirby Rainbow Curse, Mario Maker, Splatoon. Bayo 1 with Bayo 2. Good look at XCX.

Tons of great stuff.

E3 2010 is the other favorite. DKCR, Kirby Epic Yarn, 3DS reveal, Kid Icarus Uprising, Pilotwings, OoT 3D, etc.

Also the Mother 3 tease/troll.

Guardians

Banned
yf2BC5o.png

Now, let's look at Retro's output so far, focusing on the gap between the main releases:

Metroid Prime 2 is out only two years after the first, re-using assets and engine made that quick.

DKC Returns comes out only 3 years after Prime 3 again, even though it's a completely different game, and they also released MP Trilogy in the meantime.

Tropical Freeze releases in 2014, but was actually already done in November 2013 and delayed due to a software drought, so it's 3 years again, for a game on a new system (Wii U) while they also co-developed DKCR 3D and Mario Kart 7, both on another new system (3DS)!!

Don't forget that all of those 5 games are huge critical successes. At this point it's clear that:

1) Retro knows how to complete games on a constant 2-3 years schedule, while also doing other side-stuff.
3) They can juggle vastly different genres (adventure, shooter, platformer, racing) with no problem.

So how is it that it's 2017, three years and a half (probably more) after their last game went gold, and yet no signs of a new game? At this point in time their new game should've already been released! Can't be a matter of having to develop for a new system or a new genre as far as we've seen.

My main takeaways are that Retro's new game will be shown 100% at E3 and that its release can't be that far off, most probably less than a year away.

Great Post :)

I really hope Nintendo announces something like Mother 1+2+3 for the Switch this E3.

It'd be a great way to get new fans into the series (alternate reading: It'd be a great way of letting me into the series), and it'd take advantage of all the Smash hype, the previous Mother teases, fans clamouring all over the internet for the last few years, etc.

We'll never get a Mother 4, I think, so it's best if Nintendo takes advantage of the recent popularity.

What was the issue with Retro studios and that suit from Nintendo, where Retro pretty much used there muscle that one time to have more creative freedom? Anyone remember that?

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
If this E3 is underwhelming, and it might be, at least there are some logical assurances that it was more consciously underwhelming than accidentally so.

That is to say, it is probably more that they didn't show everything they had rather than there not being anything to show.

At least, hopefully.

Yep, I've made peace with the fact that Nintendo don't treat E3 as "Gamer's Christmas" and just see it as another event for announcing titles - one of many throughout the year. Also, as Twitch is going to feature Nintendo on their E3 stage show too, it makes me suspect they'll do a "Wonderful 101" and reveal a game outside of their own main streams.

Don't get me wrong, I'm excited, but I'm going in expecting Nintendo to reveal several giant jigsaw pieces rather than the full jigsaw.

jmizzal

yf2BC5o.png

Retros game is prob close to being done, but they always wait til E3 to announce it, last E3 was just Zelda and Nintendo waited until late to fully unveil the Switch and plus it was a Japaneses show. E3 is where we can expect to see the game, it will most likely come out early next year or maybe its their big online game to show off Switch online instead of Smash bros and they save Smash for next year.

Top Bottom