• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo E3 plans detailed

jariw

It'll be in the Spotlight. 2 of their big marquee games (ARMS and Splatoon) will use the service with a huge amount of frequency, and Nintendo caught a lot of shit for being very opaque about how it would all work back in January, and that hasn't changed much. It's not something they can shuffle off to the side anymore, it needs to be very clearly detailed. Showing Splatoon in any capacity at that point would mandate answering the one most important unanswered question surrounding it.

But why would those questions need to be addressed in the Nintendo Spotlight? The Nintendo Spotlight is the promotion space. Nintendo Treehouse and the E3 interviews are where the info and details come.

Didn't mean to delete my whole post. e3.nintendo.com wouldn't open from a google search for some reason so I looked through the cached code.

Neiteio

Are these new images? I stumbled upon Nintendo's 2017 E3 site (e3.nintendo.com is down so use the cached link) and found them in the code.

Code:
[IMG]http://media.nintendo.com/e3/images/arms.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://media.nintendo.com/e3/images/inkling-girl-boy.jpg[/IMG]
[img]http://media.nintendo.com/e3/images/arms-thumbnail.jpg[/img]

This one isn't new but it is funny.
[img]https://share.nintendo.com/nclood/stable/en-us/modules/outdated/images/wario-waluigi-ball.png[/img]

I also found these three videos which will run on a loop:
http://media.nintendo.com/e3/ufC70eKvai8NNvDhn6sr/th_live.mp4
http://media.nintendo.com/e3/ufC70eKvai8NNvDhn6sr/splatoon.mp4
http://media.nintendo.com/e3/ufC70eKvai8NNvDhn6sr/arms.mp4
Not sure I've ever seen that dodgeball image before. What's that from?

edit: Reverse image search suggests Mario Sports Mix?

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Why is that Mario Sports Mix pic showing up in the code? Switch version?

With the recent news that Switch's online service has been delayed till 2018, this just solidifies my belief that Smash Bros. will launch next year (likely in March).

Dystify

With the recent news that Switch's online service has been delayed till 2018, this just solidifies my belief that Smash Bros. will launch next year (likely in March).

Yup, I said the same pretty much word for word on Twitter lol. Smash in early 2018. Not sure about March but that does seem like a good month.

Also, this means we will very likely not see Virtual Console at E3. Also something I've been speculating. *cough*

Speely

Banned

Yeah. I have been thinking Feb/March for a while now. Would be a great 1 year anniversary release.

Ogodei

Yes this confirmed we'll learn about Splatoon 2's ranked mode(s) at E3. I expect to get at least one announced for launch with more coming later. Hopefully its a new one!

I almost wish they don't have ranked from launch day like they did in Splatoon 1, make sure enough people have played the game long enough (like 2 million people reach level 10 or something).

Yup, I said the same pretty much word for word on Twitter lol. Smash in early 2018. Not sure about March but that does seem like a good month.

Also, this means we will very likely not see Virtual Console at E3. Also something I've been speculating. *cough*

Hmmm I feel like people are jumping to conclusions with regards to how the online sub relates to VC. I'm still expecting a separate VC service, likely rebranded, that needs to get announced at some point.

Do you have any other info which suggests that won't be at E3?

Wasn't there an old rumour that Mario Sports Mix was being ported to Switch, maybe from the French journalist? I'd like it on Switch.

Yes, there was that rumor. But they said the 3ds version is not good. So hopefully the Switch version gets some additional work if true. I would rather they took their time and build proper sports titles, like Strikers, wave race, 1080, golf, and branch out and try something new. Wrestling?!

Dystify

Hmmm I feel like people are jumping to conclusions with regards to how the online sub relates to VC. I'm still expecting a separate VC service, likely rebranded, that needs to get announced at some point.

Do you have any other info which suggests that won't be at E3?

I didn't expect the delay of the full online service until 2018. It made sense to me to market VC alongside it. Nintendo seem to have something else in place now anyway with their "online game selection". I underestimated that before.
I never thought VC would be replaced. It's going to exist alongside the new service. I simply thought they would use VC as a promotional tool to advertise it. However, as I just noted, that doesn't seem to be necessary anymore.

With that said I do think there's a chance VC could launch before 2018 and it definitely could be shown off at E3. I'm not sure how highly Nintendo values VC nowadays, but I do know quite a few people would be excited about it. Depending on that E3 might be the best place to show it off for maximum impact, otherwise it could be announced later this year. Nintendo has been very vague with their online service announcement so it's kinda hard to draw conclusions from that.

Now what I just said above is just an assumption. Besides that I'm going to stick to the "Smash in 2018" part, as that's one of the best games they could use to promote the service. 2017 has other games coming. Pokémon is going to be on Switch this year... in my opinion.

Atheerios

It'll be in the Spotlight. 2 of their big marquee games (ARMS and Splatoon) will use the service with a huge amount of frequency, and Nintendo caught a lot of shit for being very opaque about how it would all work back in January, and that hasn't changed much. It's not something they can shuffle off to the side anymore, it needs to be very clearly detailed. Showing Splatoon in any capacity at that point would mandate answering the one most important unanswered question surrounding it.

Not really. They could have a dedicated direct in July for it.

Also, remember that Splatoon is being promoted as the first game that will be compatible with the service, not ARMS.

I didn't expect the delay of the full online service until 2018. It made sense to me to market VC alongside it. Nintendo seem to have something else in place now anyway with their "online game selection". I underestimated that before.
I never thought VC would be replaced. It's going to exist alongside the new service. I simply thought they would use VC as a promotional tool to advertise it. However, as I just noted, that doesn't seem to be necessary anymore.

With that said I do think there's a chance VC could launch before 2018 and it definitely could be shown off at E3. I'm not sure how highly Nintendo values VC nowadays, but I do know quite a few people would be excited about it. Depending on that E3 might be the best place to show it off for maximum impact, otherwise it could be announced later this year. Nintendo has been very vague with their online service announcement so it's kinda hard to draw conclusions from that.

Now what I just said above is just an assumption. Besides that I'm going to stick to the "Smash in 2018" part, as that's one of the best games they could use to promote the service. 2017 has other games coming. Pokémon is going to be on Switch this year… in my opinion.

Gotcha, the way you said *cough* made me wonder if you knew something else :p

I definitely agree that the VC will be different from the classic games selection, and I don't really see why it would need to launch alongside the online service. It's literally just an extra category in the eshop, rather than anything having to do with playing online.

I don't know if it will be at E3 but I certainly hope it will, and honestly the fact that it wasn't mentioned whatsoever with the paid online service news makes me think it will be saved for E3. But I could also just be getting my hopes up.

jariw

Now what I just said above is just an assumption. Besides that I'm going to stick to the "Smash in 2018" part, as that's one of the best games they could use to promote the service. 2017 has other games coming. Pokémon is going to be on Switch this year… in my opinion.

Smash in 2018 would make sense, for example for Nintendo to avoid the "only Wii U ports" label before the the Holiday season. Pokémon or Animal Crossing would be a be better bet for 2017 in that case.

Smash in 2018 would make sense, for example for Nintendo to avoid the "only Wii U ports" label before the the Holiday season. Pokémon or Animal Crossing would be a be better bet for 2017 in that case.

Outside of sites like Gaf, is the "Switch just has Wii-U ports" narrative really a thing?

Gotcha, the way you said *cough* made me wonder if you knew something else :p

I definitely agree that the VC will be different from the classic games selection, and I don't really see why it would need to launch alongside the online service. It's literally just an extra category in the eshop, rather than anything having to do with playing online.

I don't know if it will be at E3 but I certainly hope it will, and honestly the fact that it wasn't mentioned whatsoever with the paid online service news makes me think it will be saved for E3. But I could also just be getting my hopes up.

I'm really holding out hope here that Virtual Console will be handled better on Switch. NES Classic had a great UI for accessing classic games and I'd love for their new service to just be an upgraded version of that. Launch the UI as a "game" but then play and swap between VC games within that "game".

Anyway, I also agree that they'll have a different service that's separate from the "classic games selection". I'd love to get the details on that at E3 rather than waiting.

emb

Outside of sites like Gaf, is the "Switch just has Wii-U ports" narrative really a thing?
I think also, significant majority of the people that bought a Wii U have already bought (or are already planning to buy) a Switch anyway. People that didn't buy a Wii U are probably glad to get a second chance at games like Smash, Mario Kart, or whatever else.

kirby_fox

Banned

I fully expect it to come out this year still. They have amiibo coming out for it relatively soon, if it's an enhanced port they launch this year. If it's more than an enhanced port, 2018 would make sense.

Hook them in with Smash so they have to buy it next year. Continue the Smash train with more DLC and more amiibo.

jariw

I fully expect it to come out this year still. They have amiibo coming out for it relatively soon, if it's an enhanced port they launch this year. If it's more than an enhanced port, 2018 would make sense.

Hook them in with Smash so they have to buy it next year. Continue the Smash train with more DLC and more amiibo.

Why wouldn't an enhanced Smash port make sense in 2018?

Trevelyan

Banned
Yeah, I feel Smash will be next year, and it's essentially a real sequel. With Mario and Pokemon coming this year for the Switch, alongside smaller titles such as FE Warriors, XBC2, Rabbids, and possibly Pikmin 4 or Retro, I think Smash next Spring with Animal Crossing will really help continue to drive momentum.

I'm really holding out hope here that Virtual Console will be handled better on Switch. NES Classic had a great UI for accessing classic games and I'd love for their new service to just be an upgraded version of that. Launch the UI as a "game" but then play and swap between VC games within that "game".

I'll be crushed if VC isn't an app and individual games each have their own tile on the home screen.
Personally I want a circle (with a D-Pad on it) added to the row with News, eShop and Album.

Neiteio

Wonder what kind of new stuff they'll show for Splatoon 2.

I can see Treehouse Live demoing some levels from Hero Mode, as well as Salmon Run.

As for E3 Spotlight, maybe they'll debut new pop stars that will handle stage updates and Splatfest performances, what with Callie and Marie tied up in Hero Mode.

After all, how would Callie perform at your Splatfest if you haven't saved her yet. :-O

Nah. If they want to get people hooked on the free service, Mario Kart, ARMS, and Splatoon are plenty for this year. Then there's Monster Hunter as well, potentially Pokemon... That's practically all their major guns when it comes to online multiplayer.

The only AAA IPs they have left like that would be Smash Bros. and Animal Crossing. Smash is the best game they can possibly use to launch the online service with. It'd make biting the bullet easier for people if they know that a big game like that is coming out at the same time. If it comes out earlier, there'd be plenty of people who'd just be pissed they now have to pay when there aren't a ton of familiar Nintendo multiplayer games on the horizon.

There was probably a point at some time where they were planning Smash to come out close to the Switch's launch, and that's why the amiibos are thrown randomly in July. But with the system itself getting bumped to March, the online services getting pushed to next year, and the Switch acquiring a pretty strong lineup for 2017, I think they realize they can afford to give it more time in the oven so momentum carries beyond the holidays. Nintendo have been very strategic when it comes to their scheduling thus far - I just don't see it being like them to blow their entire load at once when the Switch doesn't really seem to be hurting that badly so far.

They probably also just got sick of sitting on the amiibos (and the money that comes with them) until whenever the game was done.

I think it can only be a good thing for the game itself. If there's a longer wait then hopefully that gives them more time to make it more than just a quick-and-dirty port.

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
With the recent way Nintendo has been talking about Splatoon 2 (ranked modes, Splat Chat), I'm now beginning to question if Splatoon 2 will have a meaningful presence in the Spotlight. I could see it getting a short segment that has some reveal and maybe the tease of a Splatoon 2 Direct happening soon, but I suspect that Treehouse Live and the tournament could be where we get most of the Splatoon 2 stuff. I expected that ranked modes were being saved for E3, so this announcement has kind of thrown my expectations for a loop.

In general, this last week has really done a lot to shape my expectations for Nintendo's E3. I now suspect Splatoon 2 will have an even smaller presence in the Spotlight than I expected. I also now feel more confident in my expectation that Smash will be an early 2018 title (and perhaps not at E3, but it totally could be there as well). The new info on online services make me expect that Nintendo will be laser-focused on games, hardware, and amiibo, and thus OS features (Virtual Console, online, etc.) is all being saved for later. I still hope that perhaps we'll get a surprise Virtual Console launch around E3, but I'm definitely not counting on it.

If the Spotlight is Switch-only, I wonder what they might include. They must have some announcements they're ready to make, as I can't see it only being Super Mario Odyssey, Fire Emblem Warriors, and Mario+Rabbids with a taste of Splatoon. These recent announcements that are getting info out of the way in front of E3 have raised my expectations for the Spotlight.

Having missed out on some really fun looking Wii U games like Captain Toad, Paper Mario Color Splash, and Super Mario 3D World, I wouldn't mind a port or two of some of those games.

But as I understand it, that's not the direction Nintendo is taking?

Having missed out on some really fun looking Wii U games like Captain Toad, Paper Mario Color Splash, and Super Mario 3D World, I wouldn't mind a port or two of some of those games.

But as I understand it, that's not the direction Nintendo is taking?
Not as far as we know but I wouldn't be surprised if Nintendo remastered some of them on the Switch, seeing as the Wii U handicapped their sales

Haines

Banned
I want ports bc I don't want to keep a WIIU sitting around.

There is no reason they can't spread them out. Ports happen on other systems.

Captain Toad would be a perfect game for switch in handheld mode. It's probably one of the most underrated games ever

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe and even the 3DS's Wii U ports (Hyrule Warriors, Mario Maker, and Yoshi's Woolly World) were so successful that I think more Wii U ports are basically inevitable. I don't know if they'll port every game, but 3D World and Toad for example would be great choices. I think Toad could even get a sequel though.

GetLucky

I want ports bc I don't want to keep a WIIU sitting around.

There is no reason they can't spread them out. Ports happen on other systems.

Captain Toad would be a perfect game for switch in handheld mode. It's probably one of the most underrated games ever

I'd re-buy Captain Toad in a heartbeat

With the recent way Nintendo has been talking about Splatoon 2 (ranked modes, Splat Chat), I'm now beginning to question if Splatoon 2 will have a meaningful presence in the Spotlight. I could see it getting a short segment that has some reveal and maybe the tease of a Splatoon 2 Direct happening soon, but I suspect that Treehouse Live and the tournament could be where we get most of the Splatoon 2 stuff. I expected that ranked modes were being saved for E3, so this announcement has kind of thrown my expectations for a loop.

In general, this last week has really done a lot to shape my expectations for Nintendo's E3. I now suspect Splatoon 2 will have an even smaller presence in the Spotlight than I expected. I also now feel more confident in my expectation that Smash will be an early 2018 title (and perhaps not at E3, but it totally could be there as well). The new info on online services make me expect that Nintendo will be laser-focused on games, hardware, and amiibo, and thus OS features (Virtual Console, online, etc.) is all being saved for later. I still hope that perhaps we'll get a surprise Virtual Console launch around E3, but I'm definitely not counting on it.

If the Spotlight is Switch-only, I wonder what they might include. They must have some announcements they're ready to make, as I can't see it only being Super Mario Odyssey, Fire Emblem Warriors, and Mario+Rabbids with a taste of Splatoon. These recent announcements that are getting info out of the way in front of E3 have raised my expectations for the Spotlight.

I agree with this completely. I wasn't expecting at all to get online service and FE Warriors info this close to the show. Splatoon 2 and Arms are fully covered by events, so I expect at most a couple minutes in the spotlight for both. Zelda DLC has been covered already. Rabbids is an internal Ubisoft project, so I expect to see more of it at their show than Nintendo's.

FE Warriors probably just gets a trailer and release date. Odyssey and Xenoblade (which I think is definitely coming this year) will get lots of attention, but that leaves a ton of time for announcements. I think we're getting several major announcements, and a decent picture of what the first half of 2018 looks like. Smash, Animal Crossing, Pokemon, Retro's game, Platinum's game, maybe whatever From is working on. I also expect at least a few other small unannounced games in the Snipperclips tier. Throw in third party and indie reels and it'd be an incredible year. Honestly, the only thing that really gives me pause is that Nintendo has gotten very adept at doling out information at a slow and steady clip. It wouldn't shock me at this point if a hypothetical Animal Crossing game releasing in February wasn't announced until an October direct, for example. I hope that's not what they do though. They have the perfect opportunity to go all out this year and seal the deal on faith in this console's future. It would be a shame to not take full advantage of it.

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
I agree with this completely. I wasn't expecting at all to get online service and FE Warriors info this close to the show. Splatoon 2 and Arms are fully covered by events, so I expect at most a couple minutes in the spotlight for both. Zelda DLC has been covered already. Rabbids is an internal Ubisoft project, so I expect to see more of it at their show than Nintendo's.

FE Warriors probably just gets a trailer and release date. Odyssey and Xenoblade (which I think is definitely coming this year) will get lots of attention, but that leaves a ton of time for announcements. I think we're getting several major announcements, and a decent picture of what the first half of 2018 looks like. Smash, Animal Crossing, Pokemon, Retro's game, Platinum's game, maybe whatever From is working on. I also expect at least a few other small unannounced games in the Snipperclips tier. Throw in third party and indie reels and it'd be an incredible year. Honestly, the only thing that really gives me pause is that Nintendo has gotten very adept at doling out information at a slow and steady clip. It wouldn't shock me at this point if a hypothetical Animal Crossing game releasing in February wasn't announced until an October direct, for example. I hope that's not what they do though. They have the perfect opportunity to go all out this year and seal the deal on faith in this console's future. It would be a shame to not take full advantage of it.

And I agree with you completely! Haha. Somehow I momentarily forgot about Xenoblade Chronicles 2 when I wrote my post. I'd forgotten that Fire Emblem Warriors got an info dump this week as well. Since the FEW info hasn't been officially released internationally, I think we'll probably get that info "again" during a Treehouse Live segment or in a trailer. I agree with your expectation for a trailer (and hopefully a release date) during the Spotlight.

Top Bottom