• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo E3 plans detailed

Oh god I had forgotten about From. I think them and Codemasters are the only ones from that list who aren't confirmed to be working on a Switch game, which would suggest that they both have one but haven't announced it yet.

I wonder what the chances are that we'll hear about it.

Here's my ridiculous prediction: An Austin Powers game for Switch would be a dream come true

bcKerQ9.gif

ciD_Vain

Oh god I had forgotten about From. I think them and Codemasters are the only ones from that list who aren't confirmed to be working on a Switch game, which would suggest that they both have one but haven't announced it yet.

I wonder what the chances are that we'll hear about it.
Metroid-Souls. Believe.

Here's my ridiculous prediction: An Austin Powers game for Switch would be a dream come true

bcKerQ9.gif
Off topic but that guy who played Oddjob there tortured a woman and later killed his cellmate.
Don't mean to be a downer, haha, but I saw it on 48 Hours or Dateline recently.
The kicker was the woman he severely beat owned had that movie in her catalogue.

Metroid-Souls. Believe.

If From Software can branch out into FPS/FPA territory while keeping their expertise with atmosphere and world-building, I could definitely see a Metroid from them working.

I mean, Retro didn't have expansive expertise when it came to First-Person games when they were given Metroid, and they still ended up creating the original Prime trilogy.

If we have to trust a dev other than Retro with Metroid, From Soft would be high up on the list.

Astral Dog

Guys, i have a bad feeling about this E3 well more of a mediocre feeling Nintendo might not live up to the hype they have created and we will see soon enough 😟

Astral Dog

For me, one future game whether it will be Retro's or Animal Crossing being shown will automatically propel it to a "great" E3.
I would like many surprises outside their comfort zone(like third party collaborations) no big fan of Animal Crossing though it matters that its shown.
Even Mario x Rabbids is still an rpg with a Mario coat of paint.:/

MoonFrog

If From Software can branch out into FPS/FPA territory while keeping their expertise with atmosphere and world-building, I could definitely see a Metroid from them working.

I mean, Retro didn't have expansive expertise when it came to First-Person games when they were given Metroid, and they still ended up creating the original Prime trilogy.

If we have to trust a dev other than Retro with Metroid, From Soft would be high up on the list.

Perhaps FROM could do Metroid, but that wouldn't be Metroid-Souls, which is why I don't tend to get FROM being seen as a clear candidate for Metroid.

In terms of core gameplay and level design, Souls is rather far from Metroid. Perhaps FROM could bridge that gap. But the same could be said of many studios.

I mean, interconnected, atmospheric, lonely, also aptly describe something like classic Resident Evil.

And I want all of those things in Metroid, but more importantly I want the puzzle/platforming/action and gadget gameplay.

But yeah, I do protest too much. There isn't THE Metroid studio out there. A new real Metroid is probably going to come from a strange source, just like Metroid Prime did. And it is going to have to prove itself on its merits.

I just reject the idea that FROM is somehow specially equipped. I don't think we have any evidence to that effect.

I think this E3 will be fine, as long as you don't go in expecting a dozen 2018 announcements.

IDK. There's having low expectations and it meeting those, but idt that makes an E3 good.

I think there is the further question about the sort of target of those expectations, not just whether they were met or not.

I'm of two minds about that further question. Partly I do think Nintendo meeting my expectations and falling short of what I'd want is them having a meh E3. Partly I think having a meh E3 by my standards is pretty inconsequential. Mario will still please me greatly when I get it. 2018 will still have things for me whether I learn about them now or not. Nintendo can have a successful trade show without wowing the hardcore or showing much new. Etc.

Takat

Now that Nintendo revealed their online will come out in 2018, I'm assuming they won't talk about it in their spotlight. Which is great.

Instro

Personally the best format for an E3 presentation/direct would be long form coverage for everything coming in the next 6 months, along with short announcements or teasers for a large portion of any unannounced software coming within the next 1.5 years. I.e. this E3 could reach all the way to Holiday 2018. I think that's a reasonable time frame of announcements, and it leaves the rest of the directs in between E3s to cover in depth coverage of upcoming games, along with any announcements not covered at E3. Rinse and repeat each year.

MoonFrog

Personally the best format for an E3 presentation/direct would be long form coverage for everything coming in the next 6 months, along with short announcements or teasers for a large portion of any unannounced software coming within the next 1.5 years. I.e. this E3 could reach all the way to Holiday 2018. I think that's a reasonable time frame of announcements, and it leaves the rest of the directs in between E3s to cover in depth coverage of upcoming games, along with any announcements not covered at E3. Rinse and repeat each year.

Yeah.

I hope this E3 goes at least into April-May-June 2018 a little bit, personally. And that there are some tasty announcements there :p.

I'm a bit out of the loop here, so paid online services dont start until 2018, right?

What about VC? Is that not starting until then, either? Would be nice to play some N64 and maybe even some Gamecube classics on-the-go before the end of the summer.

Hope E3 brings some decent stuff regarding VC.

I'm a bit out of the loop here, so paid online services dont start until 2018, right?

What about VC? Is that not starting until then, either? Would be nice to play some N64 and maybe even some Gamecube classics on-the-go before the end of the summer.

Hope E3 brings some decent stuff regarding VC.

The Classic Games Selection that is part of the service is not the same as the actual Virtual Console. Recently they said they were "undecided" in when to implement VC, but it's basically just PR speak for "I'm not saying anything."

jariw

Guys, i have a bad feeling about this E3 well more of a mediocre feeling Nintendo might not live up to the hype they have created and we will see soon enough ��

There is no hype. You'll survive.

Yeah.

I hope this E3 goes at least into April-May-June 2018 a little bit, personally. And that there are some tasty announcements there :p.

Something for that timeframe would be good, but I think Nintendo could also benefit from having big spring release announcements at the end of the year as well.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
Reminder: Tomorrow, June 04, the following begins:

• Direct Delivery to Show Site, 8:00 AM To 4:30 PM
  • Exhibitor Move In, 8:00 AM To 4:30 PM
Deliveries continue up to and including June 12. Exhibitor move in continues up to and including June 13 (touch-up only then however).

I do not know if Nintendo will begin construction of its booths tomorrow or if that will happen sometime next week, but generally one should be expecting crate images before long, some show floor photos if we are lucky even.

jariw

Rösti;239019975 said:
Reminder: Tomorrow, June 04, the following begins:

• Direct Delivery to Show Site, 8:00 AM To 4:30 PM
  • Exhibitor Move In, 8:00 AM To 4:30 PM
Deliveries continue up to and including June 12. Exhibitor move in continues up to and including June 13 (touch-up only then however).

I do not know if Nintendo will begin construction of its booths tomorrow or if that will happen sometime next week, but generally one should be expecting crate images before long, some show floor photos if we are lucky even.

Can't say I share your POV. To me, getting surprises spoiled by spying workers at E3 just a few days before E3 isn't fun at all. The only way to prevent surprises to be spoiled at shows is to not have a booth with a playable demo, if leaks of this kind becomes a regular thing.

The collective surprise of reveals like Bayonetta or Cloud in Smash 4 at the Nintendo Directs easily tops any early leak from the show floor.

c1d

Perhaps FROM could do Metroid, but that wouldn't be Metroid-Souls, which is why I don't tend to get FROM being seen as a clear candidate for Metroid.

In terms of core gameplay and level design, Souls is rather far from Metroid. Perhaps FROM could bridge that gap. But the same could be said of many studios.

I mean, interconnected, atmospheric, lonely, also aptly describe something like classic Resident Evil.
I'd be happy with FROM doing Metroid and Retro doing F-Zero

Can't say I share your POV. To me, getting surprises spoiled by spying workers at E3 just a few days before E3 isn't fun at all. The only way to prevent surprises to be spoiled at shows is to not have a booth with a playable demo, if leaks of this kind becomes a regular thing.

The collective surprise of reveals like Bayonetta or Cloud in Smash 4 at the Nintendo Directs easily tops any early leak from the show floor.

I agree with you, but the ensuing GAF threads when we do get a showfloor leak are usually hysterical, so you get some form of collective surprise in there.

Sheroking

The thing that tops the actual surprising reveal is the hype train ahead of the event. Refreshing GAF when there's even minor bits of news, speculating with other fans, breaking down potential leaks or rumors and building anticipation is the real joy of E3 year over year.

When E3 actually delivers on all that, it's just gravy.

Peléo

I feel this E3 has the potential to be one of Nintendo's greatest is quite some time. They already have a strong base to build upon (Mario Odissey, Splatoon 2, ARMS, Xenoblade 2, Fire Emblem Warriors, Mario x Rabbids, Fire Emblem Switch, Zelda DLC). If they also decide to reveal most of the projects scheduled for the first half of 2018, it will be absolutely fantastic.

Dystify

Now that Nintendo revealed their online will come out in 2018, I'm assuming they won't talk about it in their spotlight. Which is great.

An early version of the app will launch in summer. I assume it'll launch with Splatoon 2 so there's a chance they will talk about it. But it won't be very long.

Mediking

DBZ Xenoverse coming to Switch is actually really nice. Another sign Switch is taking Japan is if it can keep getting anime games. It HAS to get Naruto games. It HAS to.

Man I was playing MK8D today online a ton and at one point I just sat there at the starting line on the Animal Crossing track and stared at the high res characters standing off to the side of the course.

If any big surprise happens, for me it would be a brand spanking new Animal Crossing. Perfect game for a hybrid. God, I want it so bad.

DBZ Xenoverse coming to Switch is actually really nice. Another sign Switch is taking Japan is if it can keep getting anime games. It HAS to get Naruto games. It HAS to.
Isn't Xenoverse not particularly good? Also so far from launch and the other versions isn't really a good thing
Edit: the PS4 version launched in October last year? :|

TreIII

Isn't Xenoverse not particularly good? Also so far from launch and the other versions isn't really a good thing
Edit: the PS4 version launched in October last year? :|

Xenoverse 2 is pretty decent. It's not the most indepth fighter, but as far as DB fanservice goes, it's one of the best offerings of its ilk.

The one good thing about it being a late port is that a lot of the DLC coming out for the PS4/XB1 is supposedly going to be available out of the box for the Switch version. And in lieu of any new Dragon Ball offerings this year, I may double dip and get the Switch port if at least 60fps is offered for SP and 1P online.

Nintendo's E3 just can't be that bad, the slate of software is already pretty enticing (but that's a personal opinion, and I understand if others feel differently). But I guess I judge E3 conferences by how many and the quality of titles shown that I am personally interested in, and Nintendo already has, ready to show:

- Arms
- Splatoon 2
- Mario Odyssey

I'm pretty hyped for all 3 of those. And then there are a few more titles that I'm personally not really into, but I know could be a big hit for others in:

- Xenoblade 2
- That Monster Hunter thing (though, I have been thinking about jumping into that series, and this seems like a fine excuse)
- Fire Emblem Warriors
- Fire Emblem 2018

Then there's a pretty fun assortment of indies, but those were featured in that summer indies direct, and I'm not sure if Nintendo will show them off much during their E3 Direct. I think Switch owners are slowly migrating their indie game purchases from PS4/Xbox to the Switch, for the obvious reasons--but that's purely anecdotal. In addition to indies, we have SOME third party stuff, so let's throw these two together and shout out:

- Sonic Mania and Sonic Forces
- WarGroove
- Steamworld Dig 2
- Stardew Valley
- Skyrim
- Others

Already, Nintendo has a pretty cool set of games for me personally, but I think that last section may be less exciting than their original content. So now, let's look at unknown quantities.

I think it's a fair assumption to think Nintendo will have SOME surprises at E3. Let's assume we don't know about Rabbids x Mario, and include that in the following list of rumored or heavily speculated things coming to the Switch

- Rabbids x Mario
- Smash Switch
- Pokemon Stars
- Virtual Console information (Gamecube games? Mother 3?)

And what else? I haven't been keeping up too heavily, but my point with all this is that the Switch has a pretty sweet offering from the onset, so I think if Nintendo has any crowd pleasing surprises up their sleeves, that + the ensured quality of aforementioned titles proves a good E3 for them. Like I said, if we assume they MUST have at least a couple surprises, I think anything that has been rumored would make a pretty good splash.

H13

Nintendo, just give me few 3rd party suprise, just a few and I will be happy. Oh and give information on 2nd dlc zelda pls

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Off topic but that guy who played Oddjob there tortured a woman and later killed his cellmate.
Don't mean to be a downer, haha, but I saw it on 48 Hours or Dateline recently.
The kicker was the woman he severely beat owned had that movie in her catalogue.
Well that's a downer

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Nintendo's E3 just can't be that bad, the slate of software is already pretty enticing (but that's a personal opinion, and I understand if others feel differently). But I guess I judge E3 conferences by how many and the quality of titles shown that I am personally interested in, and Nintendo already has, ready to show:

- Arms
- Splatoon 2
- Mario Odyssey

I'm pretty hyped for all 3 of those. And then there are a few more titles that I'm personally not really into, but I know could be a big hit for others in:

- Xenoblade 2
- That Monster Hunter thing (though, I have been thinking about jumping into that series, and this seems like a fine excuse)
- Fire Emblem Warriors
- Fire Emblem 2018

Then there's a pretty fun assortment of indies, but those were featured in that summer indies direct, and I'm not sure if Nintendo will show them off much during their E3 Direct. I think Switch owners are slowly migrating their indie game purchases from PS4/Xbox to the Switch, for the obvious reasons--but that's purely anecdotal. In addition to indies, we have SOME third party stuff, so let's throw these two together and shout out:

- Sonic Mania and Sonic Forces
- WarGroove
- Steamworld Dig 2
- Stardew Valley
- Skyrim
- Others

Already, Nintendo has a pretty cool set of games for me personally, but I think that last section may be less exciting than their original content. So now, let's look at unknown quantities.

I think it's a fair assumption to think Nintendo will have SOME surprises at E3. Let's assume we don't know about Rabbids x Mario, and include that in the following list of rumored or heavily speculated things coming to the Switch

- Rabbids x Mario
- Smash Switch
- Pokemon Stars
- Virtual Console information (Gamecube games? Mother 3?)

And what else? I haven't been keeping up too heavily, but my point with all this is that the Switch has a pretty sweet offering from the onset, so I think if Nintendo has any crowd pleasing surprises up their sleeves, that + the ensured quality of aforementioned titles proves a good E3 for them. Like I said, if we assume they MUST have at least a couple surprises, I think anything that has been rumored would make a pretty good splash.
Xenoblade is nothing like monster hunter

Riskman64

Banned
Hard to believe E3 is only a week away now. Really hoping we hear something about Nintendo VC during their Spotlight video. A VC announcement would get me friggin' pumped.

Top Bottom