• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo eShop Anniversary Sale starting June 9 in Europe

lewisgone

Pretty limited which is a shame.

As annoyed as I am about Nintendo's practice of not typically having games bought on one system be playable on another, I admit I might have double dipped on Earthbound for 3DS.

Hackworth

So like, do Europe sales count for NZ prices too?
EDIT: just realized, of course the sales won't be showing up yet because it's not the 9th in Europe yet.

I'd probably pick up quite a few VC games if I knew they would transfer to future consoles. Just saying, Nintendo.

DS digital library transferred to 3DS
Wii digital library transferred to Wii U

So every single time you would've needed to transfer software to the next generation hardware, Nintendo have let you
What makes you think they would suddenly stop now? Especially with their plans for My Nintendo and having a singular digital ecosystem in the future...?

As it stands Nintendo are actually the only company who have let you transfer all software since their digital stores began and are also to only company to fully implement backwards compatibility.
It's something that clearly matters to them.
There's absolutely no way our games don't transfer to NX.

peakish

DS digital library transferred to 3DS
Wii digital library transferred to Wii U

So every single time you would've needed to transfer software to the next generation hardware, Nintendo have let you
What makes you think they would suddenly stop now? Especially with their plans for My Nintendo and having a singular digital ecosystem in the future...?

As it stands Nintendo are actually the only company who have let you transfer all software since their digital stores began and are also to only company to fully implement backwards compatibility.
It's something that clearly matters to them.
There's absolutely no way our games don't transfer to NX.
I respect their backwards compatibility from Wii -> Wii U but they charge an upgrade fee for a U native version of the VC titles you already own for the Wii. I'm not about that and I try not to make purchases based on assumptions of future support.

oni-link

Now that it's live, I have to ponder the question:

Is the 50Hz PAL version of Super Metroid worth £2.69

(I've never played the game before)

Hmm

-shadow-

Hmm
Yes and no. The game even in 50Hz is still great. However the WiiU can't output 50Hz so the image stutters a lot and the audio in the Crashed Ship is all kinds of fucked up. Probably one of the only times I recommend just downloading the game and play it on your PC. No use in this until they fix it.

Robin64

I paid 30p for Super 50hztroid and it still stings.

At least the 3DS one is 60hz! Assuming you're willing to pay again.

Orgen

Quoting myself because I hope someone answers :D

Yes it is. Real quick first person combats, a very fun catching/fusing demon system and a good story. The only problem is that the game can be very difficult at the beginning so maybe some grinding is required (but the quick combats help with this).

For 10€ is totally recommendable :)

oni-link

Yes and no. The game even in 50Hz is still great. However the WiiU can't output 50Hz so the image stutters a lot and the audio in the Crashed Ship is all kinds of fucked up. Probably one of the only times I recommend just downloading the game and play it on your PC. No use in this until they fix it.

Is the audio bad in general? Or is it just that one area where its messed up?

I played Kirby's Adventure on Wii U but other than the dimmed colours it seemed to play ok

Are Mario 3 and World also rubbish on Wii U?

What about Earthbound?

SuomiDude

Hmm
I bought it on PAL Wii U (although it was the 30c super sale years back) and although I have beaten the game many many times on SNES, I still beat it on Wii U and didn't notice anything that would ruin the game. I mostly played it on the game pad, so maybe if you play on TV, it might not be as good experience (though there shouldn't be any other difference than the screen size).

Ysarus

Is the audio bad in general? Or is it just that one area where its messed up?

I played Kirby's Adventure on Wii U but other than the dimmed colours it seemed to play ok

Are Mario 3 and World also rubbish on Wii U?

What about Earthbound?

All of those are the US versions as far as I know, so they're 60Hz.

Edit: Actually, Kirby's Adventure is "optimised" 50Hz, my bad.

oni-link

All of those are the US versions as far as I know, so they're 60Hz.

Edit: Actually, Kirby's Adventure is "optimised" 50Hz, my bad.

Decided £2.69 was worth the risk for Metroid

Also picked up Fast Racing Neo, Super Mario 3 (for £1.69 I'll happily play it again) and also The Minish Cap, which is also half price despite not being listed in the OP

I think I'll skip Earthbound and skip getting another copy of Super Mario World, as the games I got today have pushed my backlog to 21 games

Is this live yet?

I'm looking at the UK web store and can't see the reduced prices.

How am I failing?

[Edit: Doh! RTFM:

It is possible to purchase download versions of games from Nintendo eShop on the official Nintendo website. To be able to purchase download games from Nintendo eShop on the official website, you'll need to have a Nintendo Account which is linked to a Nintendo Network ID, and you'll need to have visited Nintendo eShop on the device you wish to download on at least once. To find out more, visit our Support section.]

Ysarus

I got the Oracle games for €5.98, I've been wanting to play them again. I will get Fast Racing Neo later; maybe Dillon too, I'm not sure yet. I'm tempted by Earthbound but I'd rather get it on my 3DS.

GBC games look pretty good when using the original resolution, but I don't think I would do it on a regular-sized 3DS. That is one seriously tiny screen.

I recommend Colors! 3D for anyone remotely into drawing. The 3D painting thing is very much a gimmick (that can still look very good in the right hands, the gallery is proof of that) but even without that it's a great app.

Hackworth

Okay so I've got a list of games I want to get, but I'm worried they might not emulate well. What's everyone's opinions on this list?

Metroid Prime Trilogy
Metroid Fusion
Super Metroid
Mario Galaxy 2

Also planning to get Fast Racing Neo, and this is the only one I'm not worrying about.

Oracle of Ages/Seasons any good? I'd like to try them.
They were really good on GBC, but I don't know how good the emulation is.

solaaire

Neo Member
decent little sale, too bad I'm in the states. tons of VC games I've had my eye on for a while that i would definitely snag at a 50% discount.

Volotaire

Okay so I've got a list of games I want to get, but I'm worried they might not emulate well. What's everyone's opinions on this list?

Metroid Prime Trilogy
Metroid Fusion
Super Metroid
Mario Galaxy 2

These games are not emulated. They are digital Wii copies of the game running on a Wii natively (since the Wii U has a Wii chip inside it for backwards compatibility). A much stronger machine would be required to emulate Wii games at a good speed and at a good accuracy.

Hackworth

These games are not emulated. They are digital Wii copies of the game running on a Wii natively (since the Wii U has a Wii chip inside it for backwards compatibility). A much stronger machine would be required to emulate Wii games at a good speed and at a good accuracy.
So basically Prime Trilogy will work fine for the same reason I can play Skyward Sword on Wii U. Nice.

Link_enfant

Metroid Prime Trilogy
Metroid Fusion
Super Metroid
Mario Galaxy 2

Also planning to get Fast Racing Neo, and this is the only one I'm not worrying about.

Game Boy and Game Boy Color games' emulation is pretty much perfect I'd say.
There's nothing wrong at all with it, maybe the only thing that could make it better is buttons mapping (unlike NES games which have X mapped to B, GB/GBC is A = A and B = B and you can't change anything about it) but I'm also quite picky in general.

Ysarus

They play well. I only have three minor annoyances: the GBA-exclusive shops are not included (you can get the unique rings they sold by fiddling with passwords though), there's no button-mapping (so you'll be using A and B, even though B and Y would be more comfortable), and the default upscaling makes GB games really blurry. You can play them at the original GB resolution by holding Start or Select on startup, but then you're using about a quarter of your screen real estate. Still, looks much better that way.

EDIT: beaten about button-mapping. :)

Done with shopping:

- Shin megami Tensei IV
- Kirby's Dream Land
- Super Mario Bros 3

The sale is helping me a lot with seeing how the Virtual Console handles each platform. I find the lack aspect ratios outside of snes rather disappointing, or not being able to use the Gameboy Color combinations for the monochrome games. At least the games run ok, but... It could be better. The button maps, although they are in the same position as nes and gb, are a major pain when you are used to Y+B instead of B+A

Mael

I resisted buying Prime Trilogy so far but I'm so buying it soon now!

Hmm
I think it's probably the worst experience I've had with an official copy of the game.
Even the Wii VC seemed better, I don't the 50hz version seems off.
I'll add that I only played Super Metroid in 50Hz so I'm not saying that 50Hz is the issue, I'm saying that the WiiU version is.

Hackworth

Game Boy and Game Boy Color games' emulation is pretty much perfect I'd say.
There's nothing wrong at all with it, maybe the only thing that could make it better is buttons mapping (unlike NES games which have X mapped to B, GB/GBC is A = A and B = B and you can't change anything about it) but I'm also quite picky in general.
Might skip the 2d metroids then. I already bought Neo, Galaxy and Prime, so I've got a bunch of new games to get into

Thanks

oni-link

I resisted buying Prime Trilogy so far but I'm so buying it soon now!

I think it's probably the worst experience I've had with an official copy of the game.
Even the Wii VC seemed better, I don't the 50hz version seems off.
I'll add that I only played Super Metroid in 50Hz so I'm not saying that 50Hz is the issue, I'm saying that the WiiU version is.

Hmm, that doesn't sound good

Oh well, I'll give it a try later on and see what it's like

What was so bad about the Wii U version in particular?

Picked up Mario 3 and Oracle of Ages/Seasons on 3DS.

Now I just need LTTP to go on sale again and I'll have every Zelda game up to Majora's Mask on the system.

Mael

Hmm, that doesn't sound good

Oh well, I'll give it a try later on and see what it's like

What was so bad about the Wii U version in particular?

I can't really explain it well.
I would personally stick to Wii for Super Metroid.
It's just a weird thing they did where 1 frame is doubled every n number of frame that gives the game a weird feel.
I'm not even sure if you can see what I mean without playing.
If you're lucky and have amiibos you can check the demo in the amiibo app.
Wii version is pretty much like hook a snes and playing the game like it was released.
It's like it's 1994 again (and since it's Wii it works with pad offscreen tv but no classic controller pro or gamepad only).

PtM

Banned
I can't really explain it well.
I would personally stick to Wii for Super Metroid.
It's just a weird thing they did where 1 frame is doubled every n number of frame that gives the game a weird feel.
I'm not even sure if you can see what I mean without playing.
If you're lucky and have amiibos you can check the demo in the amiibo app.
Wii version is pretty much like hook a snes and playing the game like it was released.
It's like it's 1994 again (and since it's Wii it works with pad offscreen tv but no PRO controller or gamepad only).
That demo is 60 Hz, though. :p

Also ftfy.

Mael

That demo is 60 Hz, though. :p

Also ftfy.

It is?
I thought they were excerpt from the VC games, guess they didn't go the extra mile :/
Well I guess Super Metroid in SSB4 is 60hz as well...
So I guess you'll see if/when you get it.

abbyabs

Just a heads up last day of the sale!

I bought Metriod Trilogy, Donkey Kong 64 never played them before so looking forward to it

Top Bottom