• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Financial results of Q2/2020 - Switch sales 68,3 million

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
That's what I said. 150 thousand, thousand IS 150 million.

Which, yeah, sounds totally doable at this rate.

Although it will depend on how quickly they bring out their next gen replacement. Without needing to start over from scratch due to a WiiU like failure, there's no reason to wait until till midway through 9th gen to released the Switch 2, and that could heavily curtail the Switch sales towards the end of it's life.

It'll be stupid for Nintendo to even want the Switch to sell 150 million. At the rate tech is moving Nintendo NEEDs the Switch 2 to be out sometime in 2022.

AJUMP23

Gold Member
I care so little about Animal Crossing it is amazing to see it do so well.

I wonder if they are going to plan a Switch Pro and launch BOTW2 alongside. I think that would make the best marketing decision. But they don't really need my help it seems.

iconmaster

Banned
d4b0ee1de34bb57b112c9fb304170880.gif

Genius idea, fun device, great games library. Nice to see the market reward it.

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe – 28.99 million
Animal Crossing: New Horizons – 26.04 million

Animal Crossing is going to end up becoming the best-selling Switch game, isn't it?

Last edited:

Chastten

Banned
Switch hardware will never sell the total amount of what the combo of Wii & NDS did, that's simply unreasonable.

I can see software get up there though. The attach rate of Switch software is absolutely fantastic. Most people only had 1 or 2 games on the DS, plus an R4 card, and the Wii also didnt have insane software numbers outside a dozen or so heavy hitters.

Anyways, great numbers! Glad they're doing well :)

iconmaster

Banned
Animal Crossing was at 22.4 million in Nintendo's last report. It picked up almost 4 million in (if I'm reading it correctly) July, August and September -- after you'd expect its initial sales surge to have trickled out.

It's going to leg it right to the top.

Last edited:
Switch should be compared to handhelds as it is not traditional home console

More fair would be to compare it to wii+3ds combined sales, as lite is pure handheld and original is handheld + "home console".

Ps4+xbox are on different category so comparing to those doesnt tell much

1585339815831.jpg

The kind of mental gymnastics people will do lol. It's a dedicated gaming device, just as the PS4, just as the 3DS, just as the Xbox One, just as the fucking game.com.

Jeeves

I hope Clubhouse Games passes 2 million. That game is way better than it has any right to be. Probably helps that I went into it already a fan of riichi mahjong, though. But it introduced me to so many cool games...you can't load it up and not have fun.

yurinka

Did the Wii sale 100 million in 4 years? Or was it 5?
Not sure. I think the Wii is still faster at the same time period.
Wii achieved 100.4M (shipped) on June 30th, 2013. So around 7 years and 7 months. PS4 has the record, achieving 100M on 5 years and 7 months:

Wii had its peak on its 2nd-4th FY and it was way higher than usual, but then went down 'quickly'. Consoles like PS2, PS4 or maybe even PS1 had until now a sales curve more similar to the Switch one: their peak was less tall than the switch one, was a FY later and after they had a slower decrease, having good sales during more years and lasting more FYs, resulting on a higher total amount of sales higher than the Wii ones.

Last edited:

EdGalTBR

Banned
Code:
+---------+-------+-------+-------+-------+
| Quarter |  PS4  |  PS5  |  WII  |  NSW  |
|  FY1Q1  |       |       |       |       |
|  FY1Q2  |       |       |       |       |
|  FY1Q3  |  4.50 |       |  3.19 |       |
|  FY1Q4  |  3.00 |       |  2.65 |  2.74 |
|   FY1   |  7.50 |       |  5.84 |  2.74 |
|  FY2Q1  |  2.70 |       |  3.43 |  1.97 |
|  FY2Q2  |  3.30 |       |  3.90 |  2.93 |
|  FY2Q3  |  6.40 |       |  6.97 |  7.23 |
|  FY2Q4  |  2.40 |       |  4.31 |  2.93 |
|   FY2   | 14.80 |       | 18.61 | 15.06 |
+--------+--------+-------+-------+-------+
|  FY3Q1  |  3.00 |       |  5.17 |  1.88 |
|  FY3Q2  |  4.00 |       |  4.03 |  3.19 |
|  FY3Q3  |  8.40 |       | 10.41 |  9.41 |
|  FY3Q4  |  2.30 |       |  5.46 |  2.47 |
|   FY3   | 17.70 |       | 25.95 | 16.95 |
|  FY4Q1  |  3.50 |       |  2.23 |  2.13 |
|  FY4Q2  |  3.90 |       |  3.52 |  4.80 |
|  FY4Q3  |  9.70 |       | 11.31 | 10.81 |
|  FY4Q4  |  2.90 |       |  3.48 |  3.29 |
|   FY4   | 20.00 |       | 20.54 | 21.03 |
|  FY5Q1  |  3.30 |       |  3.04 |  5.68 |
|  FY5Q2  |  4.20 |       |  1.93 |  6.85 |
|  FY5Q3  |  9.00 |       |  8.74 |       |
|  FY5Q4  |  2.50 |       |  1.37 |       |
|   FY5   | 19.00 |       | 15.08 |       |
|   LTD   | 79.00 |       | 86.01 | 68.30 |

Switch is selling faster than the PS4.

Last edited:

carlosrox

Banned
Kinda a shame Super Mario 3D World is far below in sales compared to the the disapointment that was Mario Odyssey to me. But it was tied to the Wii U so I can see why.

Hopefully 3D World Deluxe gets its much deserved revenge.

For me Galaxy 1 and 3DW are still the two best entries in the series (for the 3D games at the very least). Odyssey was still solid but I agree it was ultimately a bit disappointing.

MrA

Banned
It'll be stupid for Nintendo to even want the Switch to sell 150 million. At the rate tech is moving Nintendo NEEDs the Switch 2 to be out sometime in 2022.
I think they could easily keep the current switch cooking with a second lite revision that is smaller and more kid-friendly and make the "switch 2" the flagship hybrid, create a rotation to keep the previous "switch" as a pure portable while a more powerful console becomes a flagship

as far as animal crossing, those are some silly sales, is it the fastest-selling game ever right now?

Mr Hyde

Switch is wrecking the charts. So much deserved. A fantastic console with an equally fantastic library of games. The versatility of it is unmatched. Very happy with my purchase, especially since I initially dismissed it.

BlackTron

Kinda a shame Super Mario 3D World is far below in sales compared to the the disapointment that was Mario Odyssey to me. But it was tied to the Wii U so I can see why.

I wouldn't be too disappointed -the game sold over 5 million on a system that barely sold twice that number. The attach rate was 2:1, better than Odyssey's attach rate on Switch. So I wouldn't call the game underappreciated by any means.

Mario U DX sold an additional 7 million on Switch, I personally think 3D World will get even more than that. I think it could break 10.

Good going. I’m in the what I assume to be very very small minority who don’t like anything Nintendo. I feel like Nintendo gets so much hype because they’re Nintendo, not because what they put out is really that good. Kinda like Beyoncé..... both overrated

Serge85

Good going. I’m in the what I assume to be very very small minority who don’t like anything Nintendo. I feel like Nintendo gets so much hype because they’re Nintendo, not because what they put out is really that good. Kinda like Beyoncé..... both overrated
Very, very, very, very, wayyy very small minority indeed

Hugare

Nintendo needed a win with the Switch, and I'm so glad that it was a home run

I dont play on it so often, because most of the free time that I have is dedicated to multiplayer games with friends.

But I just cant sell my Switch. Its library is already amazing, and by the end of its life, it will be some goat stuff

Top Bottom