• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Fiscal Meeting - Over

The Giant

Banned
t85gb.gif

The Melee theme just poped into my head.

Hatchtag

Banned
Quoting for visibility.

12.jpg

It's the game he mentioned back in January.

"We have managed to offer several of such software titles for occasions when many people gather in one place to play, but we have not been able to offer a decisive software title that enriches the user's gameplay experience when playing alone with the GamePad," Iwata said. "This will be one of the top priorities of Mr. Miyamoto's software development department this year."

HYPE!

I'm sorry, but there simply aren't any games that are both
1) Single player
2) Can only be done on Wii U.
3DS has the same amount of screens and features.
There's a reason devs can't find anything unique to do with the Wii U, and that's because it doesn't exist. So I'll be damn surprised if this actually turns out to be a single player game that can only be done on the Wii U.

To be fair, Nintendo has really never been "games only."
Gaming is still their main focus, but they have had side businesses since they started.
never made a fuss to talk about these other business until the gaming side has failed this much... gaming fans are not going to like the non-gaming Directs to come

Yep, that is most definitely who's to blame here. Not Nintendo themselves, no sir
I blamed them for not having a Wii HD if Wii was not so low powered the jump to Wii U would not feel so much like a PS3+ they are not competing which is a bad thing imo. This outside business to save the gaming business is still ignoring the lame hardware issues. I love my gamepad and my miiverse but I wish the WiiU had the horsepower not to give UE4 and EA excuses not to support it.

Yep. But i rather have them trying some new businesses as a safety net for gaming (Iwata) and still remain independend than going 3rd party and lose control over everything.
It is a good thing, but as I wrote above they are not really fixing the hardware issues anytime soon hopefully QoL thing works for them but we might see less and less gaming Nintendo in the future as they may just end up very happy doing that other entertainment business

they will be profitable enough to continue to ignore everything gamers hate about the gaming side

1) Single player
There's a reason devs can't find anything unique to do with the Wii U, and that's because it doesn't exist. So I'll be damn surprised if this actually turns out to be a single player game that can only be done on the Wii U.
I know they released a Fatal Frame for the 3DS, but I could certainly see that being better on the Wii U.

Anth0ny

Quoting for visibility.

12.jpg

It's the game he mentioned back in January.

"We have managed to offer several of such software titles for occasions when many people gather in one place to play, but we have not been able to offer a decisive software title that enriches the user's gameplay experience when playing alone with the GamePad," Iwata said. "This will be one of the top priorities of Mr. Miyamoto's software development department this year."

HYPE!

way to realize this a year and a half into the console's life

too little too late I think.

Why? It's just another Mario game
We don't know that!

1) Single player
Have you seen ZombiU?

Weng

If X and Bayo 2 are coming out this year I think I might grab a refurb if that even exists when their store comes back online. I think I would enjoy enough games on the system to justify the purchase now. Plus I am sick of fighting with Nintendo fans.
OMG there it is Nintendo!! This is how you can market and sell the Wii U to literally millions of people.

What does EA have to do with this? They aren't obligated to save Nintendo's ass, nor are they at fault for the Wii U's failure

Because Nintendo isn't to blame in this. Right. Because corporations DESERVE to have people purchase their product regardless of whether they are interested in said product. Because Nintendo created a piece of hardware that was SOOOO marketable. Right.

smh.

Smallest Violin in the World.

I only joke about EA because they screwed me on two Wii U games at launch NFSMW and ME3 Special Edition - never going to forget EA screwed WiiU owners hard

Nintendo made the first mistakes but seriously EA helped dig the hole

GamerJM

Banned
way to realize this a year and a half into the console's life

too little too late I think.

I'm not sure what you're point here is. They realized they had to sell the console on software from day 1 but were just unsuccessful in doing so. They thought Nintendo Land would be successful and it wasn't.

1) Single player

I think if they could do something like Pikmin 3 does where you use the wiimotes to do stuff and use the gamepad as an extra map, that'd be perfect.

I also think that there's stuff in NintendoLand that wouldn't necessarily work well on a 3DS either. For instance, the Ghost hunting thing comes to mind. When my friend are over and we play it, it's a blast because of the jump factor. The 3 other players looking for the ghost wouldn't have that sense of unity if they were just on their own individual screen for local play (if it was on the 3DS).

There's different things they can try with the gamepad, but I think in the case of devs, its a matter of time + money. Its not really worth it anymore.

I only joke about EA because they screwed me on two Wii U games at launch NFSMW and ME3 Special Edition - never going to forget EA screwed WiiU owners hard

Nintendo made the first mistakes but seriously EA helped dig the hole
But NFSMW was an excellent port on Wii U.

I disagree EA helped dig the hole. EA could have thrown their full support behind it and it wouldn't have helped the Wii U

georly

1) Single player

There are a few ideas that require the screens to move independently from one another. Pokemon snap comes to mind. That said, there isn't much, and I don't know if anything that uses that asynchronous 2nd screen will be worthwhile.

NandN3DS

Banned
But NFSMW was an excellent port on Wii U.

I disagree EA helped dig the hole. EA could have thrown their full support behind it and it wouldn't have helped the Wii U
They were abandoning the Wii U before it even launched. Plus there was that online service disagreement that was hinted at.

Tookay

To this day I am strongly suspicious that Wii U was originally intended to be Pachter's fabled Wii HD and it was meant to have come out sooner. It was intended to merely compete with the final years of the PS360 and offer and upgrade path to Wii owners rather than what happened. (They got abandoned.)

But Nintendo realized too late Things Are Hard. The whole thing spiraled out of control as they struggled to expand and build a new facility at the same time they had to save the 3DS and launch a new home console.

Interesting theory. I'm not sure how much it aligns with the facts, but it's interesting nonetheless.

Hatchtag

Banned
Even all the gampad only stuff that creates tension. It is more convenient than using a tablet or Vita because the screen and controller are one.

Assuming it looked decent enough and ran well, would it not work as well on the 3DS (with Circle Pad Pro?)

I think if they could do something like Pikmin 3 does where you use the wiimotes to do stuff and use the gamepad as an extra map, that'd be perfect.

I also think that there's stuff in NintendoLand that wouldn't necessarily work well on a 3DS either. For instance, the Ghost hunting thing comes to mind. When my friend are over and we play it, it's a blast because of the jump factor. The 3 other players looking for the ghost wouldn't have that sense of unity if they were just on their own individual screen for local play (if it was on the 3DS).

There's different things they can try with the gamepad, but I think in the case of devs, its a matter of time + money. Its not really worth it anymore.

Doesn't really undo my point. Nintendoland stuff is multiplayer and my post was about singleplayer. As for the Pikmin 3, an extra map really isn't something to write home about.

There are a few ideas that require the screens to move independently from one another. Pokemon snap comes to mind. That said, there isn't much, and I don't know if anything that uses that asynchronous 2nd screen will be worthwhile.

Pikmin 3 was awesome. ^^ For me the discussions always ends with offscreen play. As long as i can´t play super metroid under my sheets on a 360 controller the gamepad is justyfied.

You tend more to spread misinformation than actually correct it.
Nah. My sarcasm is just not easily understood on the interwebs.

AmyS

learned from Sega past it seems

Confirmed. Iwata studied what happened to Sega ever since Bernie Stolar declared "Saturn is not our future" at E3 1997. Sega's next console, was their last.

Iwata:

not hopeless or at a loss in coming up with something new but unless existing users satisfied we cannot release next hardware

Iwata:

we are preparing for next generation hardware as always doing, when release? Difficult to declare..

Iwata knows Wii U cannot compete with other consoles sales wise, be it 360/PS3 or PS4/Xbox One, but he will do everything he can to make Wii U owners as happy as possible. If Nintendo kills Wii U prematurely, nobody will EVER trust Nintendo again with another console. Nintendo's delemia is when exactly to launch the next gen hardware, and I'm not taking about the Quality of Life platform. I mean Nintendo's next home console.

I would imagine then, that Iwata has yet to determine if the next console will launch in fall 2016, or fall 2017. It seems with what has been said today, it looks like fall 2017 at the soonest.

Legend of Zelda still probably for November 2015, but then still having to keep Wii U owners happy well beyond Zelda's release.

If Nintendo launches their next home game console in Fall 2017, they might not have more than 24 months on the market to make that system successful before true next gen consoles arrive (PS5, NextXBox) which we can fairly safely expect by Fall 2019 (6 years after PS4 / Xbox One launched. PS5 and future Xbox will likely dwarf Nintendo's next home console in specs and run games in 4K and be priced at $400.

Nintendo has a window of opportunity here, but not a large window by any means.
This new current gen isn't going to last 8 years before new hardware comes out. More like 6 years this time, which is about normal and the way it used to be, console cycle after console cycle. 5 or 6 years. So I expect PS4/XBone to be a 6 year cycle. (2013 - 2019)

Does Nintendo launch their next console Holiday 2016? Or Fall 2017? Or perhaps even as late as September 2018 ? This is the window that I personally believe Iwata and Nintendo are working with.

You honestly believe that?

do you honestly believe Nintendo is going to care about what Sony / MS does if they can be profitable doing their own thing?

Wii U is no longer losing money is the best news for Nintendo right now, not what they can do to compete agains PS4 and X1 they will continue to do things Iwata's way for good or bad

the doom talk might end in a few years if these new businesses work out, but as a gamer I don't see that as a change in the issues the Wii U had

Top Bottom