• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Fiscal Meeting - Over

lenovox1

Which when all is said and done will likely sell almost 3x as much as the Wii U.

Even then Nintendo deliberately gimped the Gamecube with mini discs. Third party games that were made tended to come late and inferior. All reasons for Gamers to not care.

Nintendo needs to make a console in he same vicinity as the competition. No gimped discs or whatever. Get 3rd parties to not half ass and then keep it up. They wont rebuild trust in 1 generation.

That would require them to predict what their competitors are going to do, outclass, and out market them at a level they clearly don't possess. See: GameCube.

If you build it, they will come is not a viable strategy for a company in Nintendo position (See: Wii), I'm not sure why people keep suggesting it seriously. Western publishers have never worked with Nintendo, and just don't care. I get wanting an equal system from Nintendo for selfish reasons.

Riposte

Hmm, I just realized the Nintendo has a Japanese name in the west and an English name in Japan (Famicom / Family Computer). I realize this is quite a non sequitur.

EDIT: Well, Nintendo Entertainment System. Meh.

StevieP

Banned
the whole point of being Nintendo is the kind of silly games you will not find anywhere else

That is why you have Skylanders and Just Dance on your Nintendo boxes still.

If you want your AAA 16-30 male games, their overwhelming majority of their software focus would have to change to accommodate them heavily to align with western third parties, and those western-like efforts would have to be high quality and sell extraordinarily well for the major publishers' bean counters to even pay attention and assess the available ROI to consider putting them on the perceived Nintendo box. It ain't the GPU preventing 360 ports of many of the current big western AAA releases.

That's the basic reality of the situation now. It's different than how it was a couple generations ago where you could get a few dudes in a garage to port a game (late and missing features of course) to Gamecube.

Go count the amount of people in Treyarch's Nintendo-COD-port-team, for example.

Contrary to popular belief it´s not exactly rocket science to put a middle class cpu and gpu into a plastic case.

This sounds oddly familiar... like some other hardware maker recently did just this and people were calling it the second coming. But I can't quite remember the name of the system... Ah well. *turns on PS4*

wait why would making clones of those games bring 3rd parties?
If Nintendo made those types of games I would not need 3rd Parties on my Nintendo box, the whole point of being Nintendo is the kind of silly games you will not find anywhere else.

This is changing Nintendo into Sony.

I understand the demographic could change if Nintendo created those games but not sure if 3rd Parties really want a Nintendo Quality Halo, COD, GTA in the mix to compete against.

Nintendo cannot create those games, they don't have that kind of vision, this is why Bayonetta was so shocking to all. It would be interesting if they could invest more in western studios to compete in this arena. Maybe after doing it and supporting it for a few generation 10-15 years from now of releasing these types of games the demographic should expect to see them on a Nintendo platform.

It would take years to change this image. I think it would be worth $100 million alone to buy 2 GTA ports on Wii U to force that image change sooner. That is the cheaper investment for the short-term
It would create a healthy ecosystem for the kind of games most western 3rd parties specialize in. As of right now Nintendo isn't investing in to doing that, so third parties will continue to ignore the platform when releasing games aimed at the young western male audience.

antonz

That would require them to predict what their competitors are going to do, outclass, and out market them at a level they clearly don't possess. See: GameCube.

If you build it, they will come is not a viable strategy for a company in Nintendo position (See: Wii), I'm not sure why people keep suggesting it seriously. Western publishers have never worked with Nintendo, and just don't care. I get wanting an equal system from Nintendo for selfish reasons.

3rd Parties did quite well until Nintendo fully embraced Yamauchis fuck 3rd parties mentality. Yamauchi is why Nintendo is stuck relying on itself and the cult of Yamauchi at Nintendo is why they remain that way.

They can gamble 100 million dollars buy some random QOL tech but they cant afford 2-3 million here and there to encourage 3rd parties.

GamerJM

Banned

I'm still not convinced they can't do it. The Gamecube was a poor attempt at doing it one time, using the Gamecube as an example as why they shouldn't ever attempt to make a console that is competitive in terms of specs with the competition is like using the Wii U as an example as to why they shouldn't ever attempt to make a lower-speced console that focuses on innovation (which, by the way, I think is also a viable strategy for Nintendo). Both consoles were inherently flawed, but that doesn't mean that Nintendo can't do better.

I seriously don't see why it's so impossible for them to mend their relationship with Western third-parties. I always see people mention this like third-parties have some longstanding vendetta against Nintendo but I've seen very little evidence that that's actually the case.

Out-marketing their competitors is something I think they'd have to do anyways. And I think they can; I mean, they did it with the Wii.

The biggest issue is funding the console, since developing a high-spec console might cost more money than Nintendo is willing to spend.

StevieP

Banned
I'm still not convinced they can't do it. The Gamecube was a poor attempt at doing it one time, using the Gamecube as an example as why they shouldn't ever attempt to make a console that is competitive in terms of specs with the competition is like using the Wii U as an example as to why they shouldn't ever attempt to make a lower-speced console that focuses on innovation (which, by the way, I think is also a viable strategy for Nintendo). Both consoles were inherently flawed, but that doesn't mean that Nintendo can't do better.

I seriously don't see why it's so impossible for them to mend their relationship with Western third-parties. I always see people mention this like third-parties have some longstanding vendetta against Nintendo but I've seen very little evidence that that's actually the case.

Out-marketing their competitors is something I think they'd have to do anyways. And I think they can; I mean, they did it with the Wii.

The biggest issue is funding the console, since developing a high-spec console might cost more money than Nintendo is willing to spend.

Again, releasing a $450 console that's similar to the other consoles is going to require a completely different Nintendo to sell it with entirely different software and focus. Families aren't going to drop 5 bills to play mario. Young males will drop that kinda dough, though.

http://www.ign.com/blogs/battlestri...-eas-unprecedented-partnership-with-nintendo/

why are we pretending this was never a thing? When a console get announce a hardware company always has a line up of 3rd parties promising support did we not just have hardware launches? Promises of games are always made at these events, but EA went a bit extra with the Wii U presser with.

Unprecedented Partnership

was so loud and clear it became a meme around here
I give you it was 2011 and selective memory may blurr things but hey I agree with mostly eveything you said there but my point is already made and my experience and perspective on that experience stands as EA kicked me hardest when it comes to WiiU

so many reply to me just saying EA not many bothered to say anything about me blaming gamers for not buying W101

I said them both as a joke to be taken lightly based on truth but not all defense force worthy

EA screwed me that is a fact I spent money on games they published and sent to die on the platform. I cannot just blame the hardware when I clearly saw how they released and marketted basicly screwed that version of the game.

If you want 3rd party games you don't buy Nintendo period but that does not mean EA did not get on stage and make gamers a promise of a partnership
EA announced that partnership before it turned out the Wii U was a disaster. They shouldn't have to support a dead system just because they said they would before it came out. If their games sold awful on it, why would they make more? I certainly wouldn't

I don't see how EA screwed you by sending games to die. Publishers do not do this. Nintendo should market their third party ports, especially when they were trying to break this stigma of "Nintendo consoles don't get third party games"

Edit: totally agree with you on Mass Effect 3 though. EA probably thought people would buy it, but it was silly at full price. Was a bad port too

GamerJM

Banned
Again, releasing a $450 console that's similar to the other consoles is going to require a completely different Nintendo to sell it with entirely different software and focus. Families aren't going to drop 5 bills to play mario. Young males will drop that kinda dough, though.

Families clearly aren't dropping whatever the Wii U costs to play Mario either though. This is partially due to the Gamepad and the fact that the Wii U isn't exactly cheap either though.

Nintendo could do something similar to what Sony did (especially in the PS2 era, not as much now), where they develop more games that target an older, broader audience, but they continue developing more family-oriented games like Mario, Pokemon, Zelda, etc. alongside them.

bachikarn

Nintendo could have put out a machine on the same level with xbone/ps4 if they didn't include a gamepad and spent a lot of the technology in making it small and power efficient.

Sandfox

EA announced that partnership before it turned out the Wii U was a disaster. They shouldn't have to support a dead system just because they said they would before it came out. If their games sold awful on it, why would they make more? I certainly wouldn't

I think he's referring to things like ME3 being released after the trilogy was released for the other consoles when he says they sent games to die.

heidern

I'm still not convinced they can't do it. The Gamecube was a poor attempt at doing it one time, using the Gamecube as an example as why they shouldn't ever attempt to make a console that is competitive in terms of specs with the competition is like using the Wii U as an example as to why they shouldn't ever attempt to make a lower-speced console that focuses on innovation

Gamecube had EA games. Star Wars Rogue Leader exclusive. Resident Evil and the Capcom 5 exclusive. Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles. Namco making Starfox Assault and Tales of Symphonia. Sega making F-zero, Monkey Ball and Sonic. That was in addition to Rare and the other second parties.

It didn't work for them then and it will be even worse now since the 3rd party world is collapsing/consolidating. Any gains from 3rd parties will also be countered by diminished first party output due to the increased development times and costs, the latter which would directly eat into profitibility. Modest hardware + innovation + modest price is the way to go.

StevieP

Banned
Nintendo could have put out a machine on the same level with xbone/ps4 if they didn't include a gamepad and spent a lot of the technology in making it small and power efficient.

Could've would've should've or not. It would still be getting the same third party support. Maybe even less because sales of a 500+ dollar Nintendo box would be even worse. Again, there are plenty of 360 ports of aaa western titles that could be releasing on the Wii u. They're mostly absent, except for the ones that line up with nintendo's primary demographics (ie the family/all-ages focus for the most part). Only difference is that the company would be in an even deeper financial hole, with even less to show for it.

My Internet went down I had to get on my phone

I wanted to continue the discussion with two guys that replied

My question is how much of the Nintendo demographic has do with fanboys?

It seems the market is pretty much split

Nintendo image is what it is that is hard to change Bayo2 is expected to sell poorly because of those same demographics

It would take years to change the image

Are Hard-core fanboys really going to accept Nintendo over night?

Families clearly aren't dropping whatever the Wii U costs to play Mario either though. This is partially due to the Gamepad and the fact that the Wii U isn't exactly cheap either though.

Nintendo could do something similar to what Sony did (especially in the PS2 era, not as much now), where they develop more games that target an older, broader audience, but they continue developing more family-oriented games like Mario, Pokemon, Zelda, etc. alongside them.
You can't really do that now a days. MS, and SONY have the young western male audience on lock. It's too crowded, and competitive for Nintendo. They don't need that market anyways. They need to exclusively serve the needs of the family/kid/casual demo from the get go next round.

My Internet went down I had to get on my phone

I wanted to continue the discussion with two guys that replied

My question is how much of the Nintendo demographic has do with fanboys?

It seems the market is pretty much split

Nintendo image is what it is that is hard to change Bayo2 is expected to sell poorly because of those same demographics

It would take years to change the image

Are Hard-core fanboys really going to accept Nintendo over night?
Nope, which why the more power 3rd party argument is bad.

antonz

Could've would've should've or not. It would still be getting the same third party support. Maybe even less because sales of a 500+ dollar Nintendo box would be even worse. Again, there are plenty of 360 ports of aaa western titles that could be releasing on the Wii u. They're mostly absent, except for the ones that line up with nintendo's primary demographics (ie the family/all-ages focus for the most part). Only difference is that the company would be in an even deeper financial hole, with even less to show for it.

Why would it be a $500 box? Nintendo probably could get a PS4 style system skipping 8GB of GDDR5 for DDR3 etc. and fall into the 300-350 range.

lenovox1

Why would it be a $500 box? Nintendo probably could get a PS4 style system skipping 8GB of GDDR5 for DDR3 etc. and fall into the 300-350 range

While launching in the same time frame the Wii U launched? I wouldn't use that as an argument; we have no way of knowing that and not enough information to begin speculating on that.

Its pretty simple. Nintendo desperately needs third parties. Third parties will most likely want a system with similar power to the other ones and architecture as well. Lets forget the problem of demographics and software sales.

Nintendo has really dug themselves into one hell of a hole.

GamerJM

Banned
Gamecube had EA games. Star Wars Rogue Leader exclusive. Resident Evil and the Capcom 5 exclusive. Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles. Namco making Starfox Assault and Tales of Symphonia. Sega making F-zero, Monkey Ball and Sonic. That was in addition to Rare and the other second parties.

It didn't work for them then and it will be even worse now since the 3rd party world is collapsing/consolidating. Any gains from 3rd parties will also be countered by diminished first party output due to the increased development times and costs, the latter which would directly eat into profitibility. Modest hardware + innovation + modest price is the way to go.

The Gamecube was also poorly marketed, used a minidisc format, had limited online capabilities, and had a "weird" controller. I'd argue that the third-party world "collapsing" would actually work in their favor because the loss of mid-tier developers means more developers wouldn't skip out on porting their games to a Nintendo console; look at how many PS2 exclusives from third-parties there were in the PS2/Xbox/Gamecube days. Now just about everything is multiplatform.

You can't really do that now a days. MS, and SONY have the young western male audience on lock. It's too crowded, and competitive for Nintendo. They don't need that market anyways. They need to exclusively serve the needs of the family/kid/casual demo from the get go next round.

I disagree. Why is it too competitive and crowded now? What evidence is there that the market can't sustain three console manufacturers competing for the same audience? I mean, that market seems to be rather large.

For the record I'm not saying that chasing the family/kid/casual/Nintendo fan audience is necessarily a worse idea. It might be a better one. I just don't buy that Nintendo couldn't be moderately successful if the general concept behind their next console was "The Gamecube, but done right".

I just read Nintendo's release about their losses and said they want to focus on utilizing the Gamepad more. Why not just release better games???? Gimmicks like the Gamepad just don't cut it.

I just read Nintendo's release about their losses and said they want to focus on utilizing the Gamepad more. Why not just release better games???? Gimmicks like the Gamepad just don't cut it.

They are either adamant that the gamepad can still be revolutionary or forced to work with due to the bad decision they have made. Personally, the gamepad puts me off from buying a WiiU.

Mariolee

Releasing better games and utilizing the gamepad are not mutually exclusive ideas. Explain yourself.

Sandfox

Its not like Nintendo has been releasing bad games and can just magically release better ones. They probably just feel that NFC has the ability to make them money.

Can't read through 10 page thread right now... but is TheNextBigThing TM a Skylanders clone and "emerging markets"..?

We don't know exactly what it is, but it will use NFC enabled figures that will be usable across multiple games. Emerging markets, and products designed for them, also factored in to the presentation, as well as MKTV web functionality, character licensing, increasing their digital business, and a few other, smaller things.

I disagree. Why is it too competitive and crowded now? What evidence is there that the market can't sustain three console manufacturers competing for the same audience? I mean, that market seems to be rather large.

For the record I'm not saying that chasing the family/kid/casual/Nintendo fan audience is necessarily a worse idea. It might be a better one. I just don't buy that Nintendo couldn't be moderately successful if the general concept behind their next console was "The Gamecube, but done right".
Maybe someone could come in and be a third competitor in that market, but it sure as hell isn't going to be Nintendo. The WiiU proves that you can't try to be a jack of all trades when you've got competitors strictly focused on a market you're trying to half serve. It would make more sense for Nintendo to entice willing third parties to create family/all ages aimed software in similar genres to Nintendo's own games rather than shift their focus entirely.

Nope, which why the more power 3rd party argument is bad.

it is a hard place to be for Nintendo, they have an image and they won't be accepted by the core and all the publishers and media laugh at them like they are out of touch

So a super strong hardware is not going to change it

And if the games come the fanboys will say but its by Nintendo -_- <== is this wrong would fans and media accept a mature Nintendo? Do we see the same media guys that chuckled at Nintendo turning around praising it for a beefy hardware?

It is hard to believe that we are that shallow and the image will just stick uncool to own if Nintendo had Halo, Destiny, GTA, Witcher, Diablo etc.

If the image is the problem and fanboys will not accept the change, I really I don't see the call for them to make those Halo-clones, I mean Retro Studios was our best bet at mature western titles and the last two games were Donkey Kong which most fans are claiming to be great platformers

I have a irrational hate for DK so did not buy these but Retro Studios was that kind of studio that could have provide a Halo or GTA open world type game but why do we want Nintendo to change?

just like I have that irrational hate for DK maybe some gamers grew up with an irrational hate for Nintendo things, you can't really change what people like over night.

I guess I just need to get that PS4 soon for those types of games.

it is a hard place to be for Nintendo, they have an image and they won't be accepted by the core and all the publishers and media laugh at them like they are out of touch

So a super strong hardware is not going to change it

And if the games come the fanboys will say but its by Nintendo -_- <== is this wrong would fans and media accept a mature Nintendo? Do we see the same media guys that chuckled at Nintendo turning around praising it for a beefy hardware?

It is hard to believe that we are that shallow and the image will just stick uncool to own if Nintendo had Halo, Destiny, GTA, Witcher, Diablo etc.

If the image is the problem and fanboys will not accept the change, I really I don't see the call for them to make those Halo-clones, I mean Retro Studios was our best bet at mature western titles and the last two games were Donkey Kong which most fans are claiming to be great platformers

I have a irrational hate for DK so did not buy these but Retro Studios was that kind of studio that could have provide a Halo or GTA open world type game but why do we want Nintendo to change?

just like I have that irrational hate for DK maybe some gamers grew up with an irrational hate for Nintendo things, you can't really change what people like over night.

I guess I just need to get that PS4 soon for those types of games.
If you really want to play the games you will have to. Personally I have no problem and own all the systems. All 3rd party games if any come to Wii U most likely buying on PS4 and Xbox one. The main reason is not even that people have been willing to try a new Nintendo system its just that they are comfortable where they are. MS and Sony consoles both already have established ecosystems. Its like for say me Iam well established on the Xbox ecosystem more than any other console it is literally on all day. The PS4/Wii U get turned on whenever I want to play their games. Thats it.

It is good to note though that Nintendo has finally began building an online ecosystem with the Wii U and that the next console will have similar stuff as nintendo stated..NNID, Miiverse. Im sure people that love being on miiverse drawing and posting would find it hard to commut themselves to another console. Once your in your in. Its why the XB1, even though its less powerful than PS4, and cost more plenty of people still bought it.

Game Guru

Sorry, but until Nintendo starts making the last of us clones instead of mario, and halo clones instead of pokemon the third party support that's on the box now is all they'll get. Even if they'd released a completely different piece of hardware with stronger processors and a different focus. The support they're getting now is all that the big publishers are putting out in the demographics that nintendo focuses on. They're already getting most or all of that software. Most of the focus of the major publishers revolve around creating a couple of iterative franchises that revolve around young western males. i.e. think where comic books have gone in the past while

Well, I was going to retort that not every western comic book company focuses on the stuff that DC and Marvel do, and was going to use Archie Comics as an example... until I learn that there is an Archie comic series where Sabrina the Teenage Witch caused a Zombie Apocalypse in Riverdale, so screw it...

Here's a free idea. Mario Zombie Apocalypse! Go balls to the walls crazy on us, Nintendo! Go full on parody with the types of games the typical young western male likes just by contrasting it with established Nintendo franchises. If it's good enough for Archie, it's good enough for Nintendo.

Not a serious suggestion, but it probably wouldn't hurt.

Lumyst

And if the games come the fanboys will say but its by Nintendo -_- <== is this wrong would fans and media accept a mature Nintendo? ...

For my first game console, the N64, I had games such as Banjo and Mario along with Mission Impossible and Indiana Jones and I had no cognitive dissonance as a little kid :p (Actually, I didn't really get the impression that Nintendo was a Japanese company either until later on.)

ahm998

Nintendo Fusion in E3 :p

attachment.php

It's a tool, like every other input/visual method. You can't blame a perfectly good hammer when you hit your thumb or push the nail in wrong. Is an analog stick a gimmick when a ton of developers still fail to use it incorrectly?

Here are the exact quotes about what was said about E3 in today's presentation.

At the Corporate Management Policy Briefing this January, I explained that the company would prioritize making and proposing Wii U software titles that can only be made possible with the Wii U GamePad. We are planning to disclose our progress on this at E3 (Electronic Entertainment Expo) in Los Angeles in June.

At E3 to be held in L.A. this June, we will announce which titles are compatible with NFP, display NFP products and disclose more specific information about NFP, which will be launched during this year-end sales season.

I just now hopped into this thread, but figured that might help discussion.

Nintendo is out of touch. They lost their Wii casuals, and they lost the core. I don't know someone could define them as being "in touch" with the market.

It'd certainly take a while, but Nintendo could recover its image in the West. Goldeneye was a big hit on a Nintendo platform. The problem is that it takes games from Nintendo to build an audience.

It takes deep, new, important games with all the modern features expected from the comparable big games on other consoles. But Nintendo does not make those games nor do they currently cultivate the demographics that will support a game like Destiny, GTA, or even Assassin's Creen and CoD (which Wii U got). And then they'd need to make hardware to run those games at their best.

Honestly, I don't think that's Nintendo's best path forward. They should just do their unified software platform across similar low-powered handheld and console devices. They should accept being the low-cost alternative for kids/families while being a second choice for the core. Getting the third-parties back and going AAA is possible, but it's a lot of work and a lot of money. And they're already lagging making games for Wii U-level hardware.

As for their image, much of it is self-inflicted. Go look at Nintendo's YouTube channel. Watch their ads. Watch "The Pitch" commercials. Look at who they target. Why should media who write for 12-28 year old males pretend that Nintendo's ads are "in touch" when even young children find Nintendo's schtick condescending?

It's not irrational hate for Nintendo. If Nintendo wants to win over 20-30 year old press who cared so much about conventional games that they went into the business of writing about those games, then Nintendo needs to address that market with fresh, appealing experiences.

As I said in the other thread. This really is it for me. The future of Nintendo is Health bars and fucking toy memory cards? Count me out.

I am really weighing up whether to trade my WiiU in now while I can still a get £100 credit towards an Xbox one, or to stay the course just so I can play bayonetta.

It really depends now on What Microsoft shows at E3. I love Platinum but honestly, I can always buy Bayo at launch and pick up a dirt cheap WiiU in a year or so. I don't have to play it the moment it releases.

Nintendo fans seem to be happy with the direction Iwata is moving the company but it sounds so wishy washy and aimless to me. Not only that, even if Nintendo was to turn things around , 90% of games on the console would be things I don't like. The third parties aren't coming back. As for Indies, meh. There is more than enough on PSN, live and steam to go round. Sorry curve studios.

I'm done.

JoeM86

As I said in the other thread. This really is it for me. The future of Nintendo is Health bars and fucking toy memory cards? Count me out.

I am really weighing up whether to trade my WiiU in now while I can still a get £100 credit towards an Xbox one, or to stay the course just so I can play bayonetta.

It really depends now on What Microsoft shows at E3. I love Platinum but honestly, I can always buy Bayo at launch and pick up a dirt cheap WiiU in a year or so. I don't have to play it the moment it releases.

Nintendo fans seem to be happy with the direction Iwata is moving the company but it sounds so wishy washy and aimless to me. Not only that, even if Nintendo was to turn things around , 90% of games on the console would be things I don't like. The third parties aren't coming back. As for Indies, meh. There is more than enough on PSN, live and steam to go round. Sorry curve studios.

I'm done.

It's not the whole future.

QoL is a platform that they intend to act as a safety net for gaming for times like this.

As for NFC, you do realise that Sony and MS consoles have games with it, too, right? Also, it's not all they're doing. You also realise they have done peripherals akin to this before, as seen with R.O.B. etc., right?

Gotta love the hyperbole here.

Jeez, i wonder why no one had thought about that before? Better games, not just ok games. I call Iwata right away to tell him how to save Nintendo. Better games - who would have thought it could be that simple!

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Why is the OP banned. I was hoping to see a rundown of the main points in the OP.

Top Bottom