• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Going Mobile: Smartphone Game Deal with DeNA [First Games Fall 2015]

Fatbody

I don't see what all the hysteria over IP is about. Let's say they do release some kind of F-Zero game on iOS or something. Would they now NOT make one on console or handheld? The cost of making these, I would imagine, would be incrediblely low compared to full HD development. They could probably make both simultaneously and generate much more buzz on launch day. Kind of like how they released Metroid Prime and Fusion on the same day.

I guess what I'm saying is that the exposure that Nintendo could possibly get from mobile development could actually increase the chance of getting another traditional entry in a long dormant franchise like F-Zero.

I'm way less affected by this news than I thought. I think it's because they took a very smart approach and did their best to please everyone.

I'm not worried about the smartphone market overtaking or replacing their traditional games, and might actually try some of the mobile stuff.

Announcing a new console is in the works was the right move alongside this.

What honestly pisses me off is people who think there's no need for the traditional style of game or console. Saying that any style of games need to go away makes you an asshole.

I cant even control the normal functions on my smartphone without making mistakes due to the damn touchscreen (on a daily basis).
I guess I spend a lot of time on my phone. I can type 60 wpm with a touch keyboard.
I mean, there has to be a practice element to being able to control IOS games comfortably.

This alongside other licensing deals (like maybe Netflix produced Zelda) should make them a lot of money and increase brand awareness.
I'm hoping that the extra revenue they make can be put into more console games, including games like Bayonetta 2 which probably didn't make money but reviewed well and made the company look good.
I imagine it'll allow for more powerful hardware designs since they can afford to take a loss with these different sources of revenue Like amiibo and these mobile games

Kouriozan

I don't see what all the hysteria over IP is about. Let's say they do release some kind of F-Zero game on iOS or something. Would they now NOT make one on console or handheld? The cost of making these, I would imagine, would be incrediblely low compared to full HD development. They could probably make both simultaneously and generate much more buzz on launch day. Kind of like how they released Metroid Prime and Fusion on the same day.

I guess what I'm saying is that the exposure that Nintendo could possibly get from mobile development could actually increase the chance of getting another traditional entry in a long dormant franchise like F-Zero.
Supposedly, with the NX and DeNA's online infrastructure, all the mobile games they'll release will also be compatible on next handheld/home console, or at least, it would be super easy to port them.

Pez

I don't see a bad side here except Nintendo not owning the entire echo system of a gaming experience. Honestly, it's a good thing since the Wii, Wii U, and 3DS never met their full potential. Get out of the hardware market and just do what you do best, because it definitely isn't hardware.

Nintendo will live on to see another day, thankfully. Can't wait to see cross-platform integration for their games.

Turn off autocorrect and record your screen typing 60 words per minute for us please :)
Dont have screen capture.

I type up threads, full length articles, and game impressions in Notes and then copy/paste here or on my site. So I probably type more on touch than the average person. I just have a lot of practice typing on my iPhone and iPad
QrjblVc.jpg
XWydUpP.jpg

boiled goose

good with gravy
I don't see a bad side here except Nintendo not owning the entire echo system of a gaming experience. Honestly, it's a good thing since the Wii, Wii U, and 3DS never met their full potential. Get out of the hardware market and just do what you do best, because it definitely isn't hardware.

Nintendo will live on to see another day, thankfully. Can't wait to see cross-platform integration for their games.

Hardware can be profitable and they benefit from theIR game ecosystem.

What they have failed at is content delivery.

This means a unified account and also hardware people want to buy. As long as everything is connected to the same Nintendo account it is fine.

If their mobile games were tied to hardware it would be terrible Too.

Griss

Now that my initial excitement of Nintendo
a) Trying something new
b) Doing something to diversify and protect their future and
c) Getting a partner who should know what they're doing

is fading (it's been 14 hours after all), I have to say that a feeling of dread is returning regarding what they end up coming out with. I still get irrationally angry when I see what Other M did to the Metroid IP. I feel the same regarding some of the mobile shit I've played on the iOS and Android stores. Then I look at some of the stuff DeNA churns out, and it looks so goddamn bad. I know I made an argument (a strong one, I think) that Nintendo won't let anything but quality be released under their big name IPs, but what if?

What if we get seriously predatory IAP in lazy licensed games in typical mobile genres? What if this is how most of the new generation comes to learn about Nintendo IP? What if this is what they believe Mario and Zelda etc is?

Eugh, I was doing so well being super-positive all day. And something like this needed to happen eventually (I was hoping they'd move in the other direction to start, but oh well). But still, though. This could go either way. The reveal of their first-ever mobile game will be a huge, huge, huge, EXTRA-huge deal to me. It should tell us a lot about their approach to the mobile market regarding game quality, game budget, IAP tendancies etc.

Please be good, Nintendo. Please.

Lfgiasdf isgfd sooos harddf.

Sent from my iPhone.
What honestly pisses me off is people who think there's no need for the traditional style of game or console. Saying that any style of games need to go away makes you an asshole.
There's a difference between noting the market forces at work that [in the long term] will still [increasingly] create pressure for divestment from dedicated hardware production and/or software publishing.

And simply saying that any particular style of game should go away.

In any event, I would presume the type of sentiment you're referring to in the latter case happens far more towards mobile.

Substitution forces have hit the handheld segment and hit it hard. It has been the most impacted in essentially every market, with the exception of Japan perhaps, where the handheld segment has itself served as substitute for home systems masking that decline. This is a step in the right direction in acknowledging the monumental shifts in the industry that have occurred.

But it isn't going to stop the rising tide.

Blues1990

Yeah I'm definitely out. I'll still play retro games and whatever actual games Nintendo still releases but from this point I'll stop following the industry, have fun ppl.

Your joking, right? At this point in time, there isn't anything to worry about.

I think it's likely that, if Nintendo's elite teams make relatively intensive mobile games alongside low effort F2Ps from DeNA, the latter kind will triumph by huge margins in popularity and profitability.

M3d10n

I don't see why a mobile Animal Crossing couldn't be as fully featured as those released on any other platform it has released on.

And they won't need to charge $40-50 for a mobile Animal Crossing. Because the amount of people with phones is so much bigger than the amount of people with a 3DS and/or Wii U they'll be able to make more profit with a lower pricepoint and multiple times the number of sales.

Since they are a bigger game company it wouldn't surprise me if they priced it in the upper boundaries for mobile games ($10-20), but including optional microtransactions (buy furniture with real money or something like that) would be a goldmine for them and if they aren't intrusive they wouldn't alienate the existing fanbase.

I doubt many big franchises will make it over to mobile since Nintendo needs them to sell their own consoles, but if a game isn't necessarily a system seller and they'd stand to make more on a mobile version in the long run then I don't see why they wouldn't.

The only thing they'll be selling are IAPs. If Nintendo was going to release premium mobile games, they wouldn't need DeNA. Mobile premium games are a niche and no, they don't usually sell in enough volume to make up for the lower pricepoint and 30% Apple/Google fee.

Mark my words, Nintendo is going for F2P, online, games-as-a-service market, the one that actually makes money in mobile-land. That's what they really mean when they say they aren't going to port any games and build games designed for mobile.

Zambayoshi

In any event, I would presume the type of sentiment you're referring to in the latter case happens far more towards mobile.

Substitution forces have hit the handheld segment and hit it hard. It has been the most impacted in essentially every market, with the exception of Japan perhaps, where the handheld segment has itself served as substitute for home systems masking that decline. This is a step in the right direction in acknowledging the monumental shifts in the industry that have occurred.

But it isn't going to stop the rising tide.

Exactly. This is why I think the NX will be a docking system with HDMI out and wireless controllers that you can plug your mobile phone into. Nintendo is going to be developing software that will run on mobile processors (which are getting more powerful) so you can play it on the go, or sit back at home and play it on the big screen with a controller. That would bridge the gap between mobile and console, and also allow Nintendo to focus on the software development without worrying about their console becoming outdated.

Nanashrew

Banned
I feel like everyone should keep in mind that when Iwata says console or hardware, he can mean handheld too. There have been many times where he has described the 3DS as a console. Usually the first thing that comes to mind when people hear the word console is that it means for the home.

Sandfox

Exactly. This is why I think the NX will be a docking system with HDMI out and wireless controllers that you can plug your mobile phone into. Nintendo is going to be developing software that will run on mobile processors (which are getting more powerful) so you can play it on the go, or sit back at home and play it on the big screen with a controller. That would bridge the gap between mobile and console, and also allow Nintendo to focus on the software development without worrying about their console becoming outdated.
Nintendo just selling a dock that plays mobile games doesn't really seem like that good idea to me. It would probably be better to just make a console with the ability to play your mobile games through their new service.

M3d10n

I realized Nintendo will finally have a stronger case to take down the many games that infringe their IPs on Google Play and App Store. It will be a bloodbath.

I disagree. Here's why:

1) How are they going to make a dock that works with the myriad of tablets and phones out there, and works with both Android and iOS devices?

2) They won't give up having a stable platform where they get 100% of the revenue instead of only 70%.

I predict their mobile games will also be available on the NX, with sync'ed profiles so purchases (IAPs and in-game currency) made on the NX carry over your phone/tablet. This way they get boost their revenue by having a % of the IAP revenue not paying Apple/Google fees.

Mr-Joker

Banned
Honestly I can see Nintendo setting a small team that makes nothing but small Mobile games which are similar to Pokémon Shuffle or Mario Vs Donkey Kong and leaving the core series on the proper Nintendo system.

So if you want to play a Main series Pokémon game you still need to buy a Nintendo handheld.

Yeah I'm definitely out. I'll still play retro games and whatever actual games Nintendo still releases but from this point I'll stop following the industry, have fun ppl.

I don't like this either but how about we wait and see how Nintendo handles mobile gaming before making any rash choices.

Well investor are a stupid and greedy bunch of people.

Honest question: how is this any different then what they did in the Wii era? Back then, they they made massive profits from the mass market and used them to fund more niche games for the core fan. Wii Sports and Nintendogs helped turn the company around so they could make games like Metroid Prime 3 and Skyward Sword.

The only difference today is that the mass market is on mobile. So if they have to enter that market so we get more AAA Mario...

To paraphrase Usher:

Shiggy I don't, mind
If you sell on the phone
That don't make you a clone
Oh no I don't, mind
If you use IAPs
To fund Galaxy 3
Go make that money, money, money,
Your money, money money.

Cause even the fans
Play Pokemon on the can
Go get that money, money, money,
Your money, money money.

Get your FTP on
And keep your Balance Sheet strong

No I don't mind

Zambayoshi

I disagree. Here's why:

1) How are they going to make a dock that works with the myriad of tablets and phones out there, and works with both Android and iOS devices?

2) They won't give up having a stable platform where they get 100% of the revenue instead of only 70%.

You raise some good points. I think that the dock wouldn't be something that the phone physically sits inside, but rather a small box like a Vita TV, connected to your TV via HDMI. The phone or tablet would be linked to the box by a small cable, of which there'd be at least two variants (lightning connector and micro USB). You might even be able to do it without a cable, over a home wireless network, in the same way that Remote Play works for PS4 via the Vita TV. Cable would be preferred as you could have the phone charging while you play.

In terms of giving up revenue, this I imagine would be more than offset by not having to engage in expensive R&D and manufacturing processes, and by cutting development costs by essentially developing the same game for both mobile and NX.

Calamari41

41 > 38
The people gloating and "serving crow" need to realize that most people weren't in the camp of "this will never ever ever under any circumstances happen," but rather in the camp of "oh god if this ever happened it would be horrible and depressing." Even the Verendus "wall of shame" post from earlier bore this out.

So, I guess, maybe we should wait until Nintendo's mobile efforts make lots of money and aren't predatory/bad games and also end up not negatively affecting their traditional business before we start trolling people?

For the record I was against this in general, but Iwata's plan as laid out gives me some hope.

RedFyn

The only thing they'll be selling are IAPs. If Nintendo was going to release premium mobile games, they wouldn't need DeNA. Mobile premium games are a niche and no, they don't usually sell in enough volume to make up for the lower pricepoint and 30% Apple/Google fee.

Mark my words, Nintendo is going for F2P, online, games-as-a-service market, the one that actually makes money in mobile-land. That's what they really mean when they say they aren't going to port any games and build games designed for mobile.
What do you think Dena is/does? Even if they only sell premium games they'll still have need of denas services.

Si, Mario for W10 is an option?
I don't think they've announced anything for PC today. They announced that DeNA is working on a membership program that can be accessed through accounts on various platforms including PC, but that's most likely to buy on the eShop and stuff like that and not actual games.
I feel like everyone should keep in mind that when Iwata says console or hardware, he can mean handheld too. There have been many times where he has described the 3DS as a console. Usually the first thing that comes to mind when people hear the word console is that it means for the home.
I don't think he ever mentioned "console" either, just dedicated gaming platform.

Astral Dog

“If I was only concerned about managing Nintendo for this year and next year—and not about what the company would be like in 10 or 20 years—then I’d probably say that my point of view is nonsense. But if we think 20 years down the line, we may look back at the decision not to supply Nintendo games to smartphones and think that is the reason why the company is still here.”

Well you have to give Iwata credit, he waited the two years for the announcement :p

NESpowerhouse

Perhaps he's wondering why someone would shoot a man before throwing him out of a plane.
Overall, I feel that the games that would be coming to mobile platforms will primarily serve as advertising mechanisms for the fully-featured games on dedicated handheld or console systems. I sense that most of these games will simply be clones of other existing games on iOS and Android such as all the endless runners and puzzle games, but will feature Nintendo IPs of course. As a result, they will be more accessible to the casual market and will bring Nintendo back into the forefront of people's minds (hopefully). Nintendo is fortunate to have some some of the greatest brand recognition in the industry, which will certainly help their mobile games stand out against their vast amount of competition.

As long as they don't devalue their own platforms, this can only be a good thing. For example, officially sanctioned ports of old games and/or F2P tie in games to stir up interest in their "real games, now with physical buttons" can only help the bottom line.

On the negative side, it'll be interesting to see if they can stop there. Short term greed is a powerful drug.

Ya'll gotta admit there's something funny about reading so much apprehension towards what Nintendo could do with a smartphone on a forum that embraced flappy bird

I don't think they've announced anything for PC today. They announced that DeNA is working on a membership program that can be accessed through accounts on various platforms including PC, but that's most likely to buy on the eShop and stuff like that and not actual games.
Inwas thinking on mobiles, Windows phone with W10. But I don't think they to sell anything on MS' gaming platforms.

Not

Banned
You don't understand. Pokémon on mobile? That's ALREADY their most progressive online experience.

Nintendo just won.

mhi

This means no more handhelds right ?

IMO, Vita should be Sony's last handled while Nintendo can stand to try one or two more times.

Astral Dog

This means no more handhelds right ?

IMO, Vita should be Sony's last handled while Nintendo can stand to try one or two more times.
No, see project NX, they confirmed a new, game focused system, although it isn'tclear if handheld or home console.

Just as a random thought, it's been quite a while and I mostly used the traditional controls, but how well suited were the DS touch controls for Puzzle League? Because assuming they're not worse than I remember them being, I'd like to formally request they make a Puzzle League mobile game.

Or a Puzzle League 3DS game. Or a Wii U game. Just make more Puzzle League.

Top Bottom