• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo: Hardware Market Shares (Jan. to Mar.)

Triple U

Banned
The PS3 has been the leading console in AU for the last couple years so its not equivalent in every english market.

Microsofts grasp on the UK/US and Sonys lead in mainland EU are often exaggerated TBH.

Obviously they go into next-gen in better or worse positions but it makes me laugh when people say MS can't take Europe or Sony can't take America. Its not a Japan like situation where its a massive blowout and a lost cause. They aren't that far apart month to month.

I don't think MS' lead in US is overstated. I'd say its pretty tangible. As is Sony's lead in Europe. But I'd agree that neither is out of each others reach.

I only comment on UK because everytime you hear about it, its supposedly a US like dominance for MS.

This is what I get from measuring the country specific chart with regard to marketshare.
Code:
[B]	UK	FRA	GER	SPA	ITA	NL	BE[/B]
[B]3DS[/B]	18.7	28.9	24.0	19.0	21.9	22.3	29.8
[B]NDS[/B]	1.0	1.4	1.6	1.5	2.3	3.1	1.1
[B]WII[/B]	4.0	8.4	14.5	13.6	14.2	13.3	12.6
[B]WIU[/B]	6.2	6.3	6.8	4.9	2.0	5.6	5.4
[B]PSP[/B]	2.2	6.5	4.5	10.2	9.2	2.1	7.0
[B]PSV[/B]	5.3	4.7	3.6	8.3	4.8	4.0	6.5
[B]PS3[/B]	27.1	30.7	28.7	33.0	26.8	32.0	29.7
[B]360[/B]	35.7	13.3	16.5	9.6	19.0	17.7	8.0
The PS3's mainland advantage seems pretty significant everywhere but Italy.

The Wii U's best marketshare regions are successively Germany, France and the UK.

Vita's best region is Spain.

RedSwirl

Obviously they go into next-gen in better or worse positions but it makes me laugh when people say MS can't take Europe or Sony can't take America. Its not a Japan like situation where its a massive blowout and a lost cause. They aren't that far apart month to month.

I definitely think that if Microsoft gave enough of a damn they could take mainland Europe. From what I understand, the main issue is that all of XBL's features aren't available in continental Europe (for instance, XBL itself only recently started functioning at all in Poland), and that in those countries it just isn't worth the subscription cost compared to PSN. Personally I think Microsoft needs to put more work into winning over mainland EU than Japan, since they actually have more of a chance in the former.

Also, overall, Sony just does a better job of promoting their brand internationally, especially in non-English-speaking markets.

Into

The PS3 seems to be the only system that is not deeply dependent on 1 or 2 markets like the 3DS is with Japan and 360 is with NA and UK.

They mission for PS4, should be to not allow MS to get that much market share in the US, by launching at similar time and with a similar price they should be able to achieve that

What they do in Japan, i do not know. PS4 needs to offer games catered to the Japanese that they cannot get on the 3DS

which isn't surprising considering how poorly the console is doing worldwide.

sony seems to be holding it down in euro-land.
they seem to have solid foundations there. even during the wii years. wonder what they do differently from microsoft & nintendo that makes them so appealing there?

They admit those countries exist.

Nintendo Poland was a running joke in local industry since it was officially formed in 2010 to the month ago when they closed the operations (together with Austria but unlike Austria they found noone to replace Stadbaue here). Now Nintendo is known for all age friendly games - yes? Not really because they never bothered to translate them.

Microsoft until 2 years ago officially blocked all polish accounts on Live! so people had to register in diffrent countries using fake adresses. They also had some effort in localisations but not much. Polish store is joke since it's missing tons of content from early generation since it was formed so late.

Meanwhile Sony has online store and polish account since around 2007 where i can see prices in local currency, they are localising tons of games (even stuff like Vita resistance or U13) and especially the casual market ones.

So the only reason why MS is relevant in those countries is because xbox can be pirated and ps3 not really.

If these numbers do indeed check out, then the Vita managed to outsell the Wii U worldwide last quarter.

The only thing stopping the Wii U from being mocked as the Vita has is the fact that the Wii U will probably have a decent future games-wise, even if its Nintendo only

(Well, that and certain posters will jump down your throat and jump rope with your intestines for saying anything bad about their situation)

The only thing stopping the Wii U from being mocked as the Vita has is the fact that the Wii U will probably have a decent future games-wise, even if its Nintendo only

(Well, that and certain posters will jump down your throat and jump rope with your intestines for saying anything bad about their situation)

Well, without third parties on board and with first-party software mostly playing to the existing Nintendo fanbase, Wii U's prospects are a long way from good. It's just that Vita's prospects are even worse.

lockload

UK isn't Sony land, but those numbers don't paint a picture of it being Xbox land either.

It very pro xbox though as someone who recently bought a ps3 the used game market and shelf space given to ps3 is much smaller in supermarkets and used games stores

Carl

Vita did much better than i thought it would've done lol, thoroughly deserved.

E: I read it back to front (2012 as 2013 and 2013 as 2012 - d'oh! - even so, still ahead of WiiU)

SmokyDave

I don't think anyone, anywhere could have predicted that would happen. I can't imagine the flack one would have gotten if they did predict that.
I've had wild dreams where it sold half as much as the successor to the Nintendo Wii. The reality is so sweet I need to be checked for diabetes.

Miles X

The PS3 has been the leading console in AU for the last couple years so its not equivalent in every english market.

Microsofts grasp on the UK/US and Sonys lead in mainland EU are often exaggerated TBH.

UK + US MS has a lead of about 18 million. In Europe overall PS3's lead over 360 isn't even 10m

I always find it interesting that the 360 is considered by most, and by most people here I know, to be the end all be all One True Console in America and yet it doesn't even outsell # 2 that much and is only 40-45% of current sales (not counting handhelds). And that's its best market.

EDIT: Well UK is the best by a little bit, eh fine, it's American Europe basically.

Majmun

Ps3 is the most expensive console, and currently the best performing one.

Pretty impressive how Sony turned things around. Ps4 has the potential to become huge.

-edit-

Oops, the Wii U is the most expensive

Combined Road's numbers with NPD and MC for Jan-Mar.

Code:
	US+EU+JP	US	EU	JP
3DS	2,296,000	564,000	474,000	1,258,000
PS3	1,793,000	675,000	814,000	304,000
X360	1,439,000	844,000	585,000	10,000
PSV	587,000		106,000	145,000	336,000
WIU	539,000		190,000	122,000	227,000
WII	538,000		290,000	222,000	26,000
PSP	527,000		27,000	290,000	210,000
NDS	295,000		257,000	38,000

jvm

Gamasutra.
Combined Road's numbers with NPD and MC for Jan-Mar.

Code:
	US+EU+JP	US	EU	JP
3DS	2,296,000	564,000	474,000	1,258,000
PS3	1,793,000	675,000	814,000	304,000
X360	1,439,000	844,000	585,000	10,000
PSV	587,000		106,000	145,000	336,000
WIU	539,000		190,000	122,000	227,000
WII	538,000		290,000	222,000	26,000
PSP	527,000		27,000	290,000	210,000
NDS	295,000		257,000	38,000
PSP > NDS
PSV > WIU
PS3 > X360

These numbers are surely the stuff of nightmares for some fans. :D

05l.jpg

Proud to be Belgian (PS3) :D ... Uk still wanna do like them americans

allan-bh

3DS could do better in west, but is doing OK.

PS3 and X360 with amazing legs after so many years in the market. Both are healthy platforms.

And can someone tell me how much PSP sold in 2012, according to the NPD? I don't have this data

javac

I've had wild dreams where it sold half as much as the successor to the Nintendo Wii. The reality is so sweet I need to be checked for diabetes.

I mean I understand that you don't really like what Wii U and Wii stand for, but why revel in it's misfortune? Seems kind of odd, especially since you own one yourself too and whether or not you like it's message the PS4 and XBOX will always exist. I just...don't really get it. Oh well.

mclem

Is it me, or did the DS hardware share go up in 2013? Because at the rate this is going, the 3DS' biggest threat is the DS, not mobile phones.

I'm not seeing that? I'm seeing significant shrinkage in Europe and Japan (and worldwide), and US remaining vaguely constant.

Curious situation about NDS and PSP:

NDS- Dead in EUR, Alive in USA

PSP- Alive in EUR, Dead in USA
The PSP part is more curious really. The NDS has been the success of the last handheld generation so its continued relevance in the US isn't that strange. But I don't know what exactly is keeping the PSP afloat.

meppi

Very surprised to see Nintendo do so well in Belgium.

All you ever hear about over here is Sony, Sony, Sony. Very boring to try and talk to gamers in real life over here as you always get the same, predictable responses.
They seem to be extremely close-minded as well and look at you funny when you tell them you prefer the 360 over the PS3 and that you have Nintendo systems as well.
Guess I live in the wrong part of the country. :-/

The PSP part is more curious really. The NDS has been the success of the last handheld generation so its continued relevance in the US isn't that strange. But I don't know what exactly is keeping the PSP afloat.

SCEE have done a great job of changing the PSPs focus from teenagers/adults to kids. Their success in Spain in particular is in large part thanks to Invizimals.

nampad

Got to love Nintendo for their sales graphs and market share information.
Very surprised of those PSP numbers in Europe. The discrapency to the US market is unbelievable.

Also Vita selling more than Wii U, lol.

Bit ironic that PSP Street that is pretty much the anti-PSPGO was the real success while PSPGO got all the big marketing push ect. I still think Sony made a big mistake not releasing Street outside EU (preferably at the time PSPGO was released). GAF had some hate for the thing but a cheap PSP should always had taken priority over some weird ass market test project.

I love GO and all but you don't want to push your handheld by releasing much higher cost models.

Honey Bunny

Very surprised to see Nintendo do so well in Belgium.

All you ever hear about over here is Sony, Sony, Sony. Very boring to try and talk to gamers in real life over here as you always get the same, predictable responses.
They seem to be extremely close-minded as well and look at you funny...

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/library/events/130425/img/05l.jpg

Proud to be Belgian (PS3) :D ... Uk still wanna do like them americans

Fight!

Forgot to include this in earlier post.

Wii U LTD for each region:
Code:
	CY12Q4		CY13Q1		LTD
US	885,000		190,000		1,075,000
EU	430,000		122,000		552,000
JP	627,000		227,000		854,000
Total	1,942,000	539,000		[B]2,481,000[/B]

Even if considering there are countries not included in these numbers, retailers must be swamped with units.

Ravage

PSP Street for 99€ and probably even cheaper/with bundled game in some places. Dunno why they never released it outside of EU. Pretty crazy that they discontinued PSPGO in EU but not in the US.

I'll have to eat some crow here, PSP Street turns out to be a good decision.

Every time these threads show up people seem to be constantly surprised how poorly the 360 does in the rest of Europe (sans UK). That American media is sure doing its job making people think the 360 is the world beater it really isn't.

Top Bottom