• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo: Hardware Market Shares (Jan. to Mar.)

The PSP part is more curious really. The NDS has been the success of the last handheld generation so its continued relevance in the US isn't that strange. But I don't know what exactly is keeping the PSP afloat.

100 EUR price with dozens of popular games at 10 Euro price point.

Majmun

Forgot to include this in earlier post.

Wii U LTD for each region:
Code:
	CY12Q4		CY13Q1		LTD
US	885,000		190,000		1,075,000
EU	430,000		122,000		552,000
JP	627,000		227,000		854,000
Total	1,942,000	539,000		[B]2,481,000[/B]

Even if considering there are countries not included in these numbers, retailers must be swamped with units.

Just can't believe how low the Wii U sales are...

Nintendo initially wanted to ship 5.5mln units by end of march. They dropped it to 4mln. It's now almost may and the Wii U is still not near that...

Raist

Banned
Just can't believe how low the Wii U sales are...

Nintendo initially wanted to ship 5.5mln units by end of march. They dropped it to 4mln. It's now almost may and the Wii U is still not near that...

I think they shipped 3.4 in the end?

jvm

Gamasutra.
So about million consoles in the channel and sales currently abysmal everywhere.... Next quarter is going to be pretty damn ugly for WiiU shipments. Logically they would ship zero consoles but maybe they will force retailers by gunpoint to take some extra WiiUs lol.
But what if the majority of the unsold stock is Wii U Basic models? Then they can continue to ship the Deluxe and show some shipments. Also, special editions or bundles.

For me, the real question is what kind of stock is sitting idle?

jcm

Code:
	US+EU+JP	US	EU	JP
3DS	2,296,000	564,000	474,000	1,258,000

This is crazy. For comparison, in 2009 Nintendo shipped the following for DS:
Code:
JP           4,010,000
Americas    12,070,000
Other       15,110,000

Obviously, this isn't an apples-to-aples comparison, but it still show just how strange the 3DS's sales are right now. Japan made up 12.86% of the DS's total shipments that year. Last quarter, Japan made up 54.79% of the 3DS's sales.

Code:
	US+EU+JP	US	EU	JP
3DS	2,296,000	564,000	474,000	1,258,000

This is crazy. For comparison, in 2009 Nintendo shipped the following for DS:
Code:
JP           4,010,000
Americas    12,070,000
Other       15,110,000

Obviously, this isn't an apples-to-aples comparison, but it still show just how strange the 3DS's sales are right now. Japan made up 12.86% of the DS's total shipments that year. Last quarter, Japan made up 54.79% of the 3DS's sales.

Original DS peaked during 2006 and 2007 in Japan though so sales were already falling during 2009 because of saturation (in the west the 2009 was peak year ). Still of course Japan never made over 50% of yearly DS sales like it does with 3DS currently.

I think initially the DS was also doing better in Japan as far as LTD sales go; I remember it took a while before NA and Others finally passed Japan. 3DS is a bit more of an extreme case but it's not too strange to me.

jcm

Original DS peaked during 2006 and 2007 in Japan though so sales were already falling during 2009 because of saturation (in the west the 2009 was peak year ). Still of course Japan never made over 50% of yearly DS sales like it does with 3DS currently.

Good point. Here's the split for year end Mar 07 and year end Mar 08:

Code:
        Mar 2007   Mar 2008
JP               9.12M      6.36M
Americas         6.63M     10.65M
Other            7.81M     13.30M

So Japan was 38.70% and 20.98%, respectively. The data above still looks highly aberrant, though less so than my original example obviously.

Celine

The PSP part is more curious really. The NDS has been the success of the last handheld generation so its continued relevance in the US isn't that strange. But I don't know what exactly is keeping the PSP afloat.
Cheap price (it is easy to buy a new PSP street for 79 eur) and piracy/low price games (PSP Essential line goes for 9.99 eur and that drive the used market price even lower).
Also it does help that Vita seem unable to replace its predecessor.

Cheap price (it is easy to buy a new PSP street for 79 eur) and piracy/low price games (PSP Essential line goes for 9.99 eur and that drive the used market price even lower).
Also it does help that Vita seem unable to replace its predecessor.

PSP also has a good digital marketplace unlike DS.

jvm

Gamasutra.
I don't know where the best place to put this is, but I decided (in light of Road's post about how Nintendo throws away consolidated sales figures after a certain point) to back up a lot of Nintendo's PDFs to my Google Drive.

http://goo.gl/Qz1du

If someone could check that out and make sure you can read through the PDFs and so forth there.

I also put my Nintendo Top 10 Charts (from nintendo.com/games as we've seen for the past couple of years) in there too.

I might drop my quarterly hardware spreadsheets in there and, if I get around to it, some other stuff I have lying around.

If anyone has older official documents that aren't included, let me know. And if you have data you want added to share, I'll be happy to add more people with read/write privs.

Rolf NB

I don't know where the best place to put this is, but I decided (in light of Road's post about how Nintendo throws away consolidated sales figures after a certain point) to back up a lot of Nintendo's PDFs to my Google Drive.

http://goo.gl/Qz1du

If someone could check that out and make sure you can read through the PDFs and so forth there.
Looks good, thanks! I clicked on a few random PDFs and everything works fine.

Top Bottom