• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo has taken back potentially stolen Nintendo Switch

Status
Not open for further replies.
No it doesn't. This guy's videos got them free advertisement, they could have taken the $300 loss without being petty.

Once again a company requesting stolen goods back is not them being petty. If they had tried to sue him, when [and if] he had no idea it was stolen, they would have been in their right but that could be seen as petty. But a company saying "Hey man that's actually stolen please give it back so we don't have to pursue this legally" isn't petty.

Darkman M

Ah, I read your post above. Sorry if mine came off a little too blunt. Yeah, this happens all the time but it's rarely publicized since it's generally just regular protocol. There's examples of it happening with stolen Steam codes before and I remember it kicking up just as much of a fuss.

No problem man, the op is all over the place, and posting that video online surely got the attention of alot of people, so in that sense it's not that surprising.

Nanashrew

Banned
Apparently he tried to sell it on reddit

oZQhTRW.jpg

https://www.reddit.com/r/NintendoSw...ndo_has_taken_back_the_leaked_switch_console/

Uhh yikes...

Boke1879

YIKES.

Maybe I was dreaming, but I did real an article that supposedly interviewed him where he did say he might sell it.

Plum

You can't just go up to someone and say "thats mine" and expect everyone to hand it over without proof.

Of course not, but I would still make them go through the motions.

What has that got to do with not going to jail/getting a criminal record? You'd just be delaying the inevitable.

oti

Banned
No it doesn't. This guy's videos got them free advertisement, they could have taken the $300 loss without being petty.

Dude, at some point you just have to leave this wonderful message board bubble and enter the real word. What you're saying is completely insane.

ecosse_011172

Good to see GAF aren't being massive dicks about this.
What is with the internet and anonymous people wanting to do massive character assassinations of people they know fuck all about?

joecanada

Does small claims court work differently in the USA ? In Canada it costs you the princely sum of 50 dollars to file a claim. Any other costs you bring are your own .

Op said on neogaf that he was seriously considering selling it. I think it was in the first thread where he posted a screenshot.

Sandfox

You can't just go up to someone and say "thats mine" and expect everyone to hand it over without proof.

Of course not, but I would still make them go through the motions.
All that would do is cost you a ton of money in legal fee in a case you have no chance of winning.

Tookay

why not enlighten people :)? It would probably help the discussion

Well, I don't know where hihoptherobot lives, because this is mostly governed by state criminal law, but in my state, there are penal codes/statutes regarding the receipt/purchase of stolen property. There is an intent requirement (meaning that the person receiving/buying the property must know it was stolen) and it is somewhat difficult to prove, but you can infer it through circumstances, such as the fact that it was bought two weeks ahead of time, where it was bought from (i.e., not a licensed seller, etc.). It would probably be difficult to prove for a prosecutor to pursue criminal charges in court and win, but either way, a defendant's going to rack up bills fighting it.

In terms of civil litigation, I'm not sure what Nintendo's rights are, but it seems to me that the prudent thing to do is just give the console back to them, rather than incur legal expenses.

tldr; Both sides probably made the smart decision here to avoid the worst outcome.

NolbertoS

Zimmy68

We don't even know how he got it yet.

The whole story is suspicious.

This.

Beware of people wanting your pity but leave out large amounts of info.

If I pre-ordered a Switch from Best Buy or Gamestop, and some idiot shipped it to me early (the first part of the story that sounds fishy). Some moke reached into an open shelve and decided to ship it early, just one? Please.

Anyway, if that did happen and Nintendo wanted to just take it from me, well good luck getting without a court order.

I bought it, they shipped it. I never agreed to wait on some date.

Story smelled fishy from the beginning and if he isn't being honest, he deserves to be out what he paid.

Loses all this money for a stupid Nvidia Shield tablet and controllers.
Hope it was worth it.

ChrisD

it would be REALLY hard for him to argue that he unknowingly bought it stolen

Mostly cause he is aware he had it 2 weeks early, he didnt get it from a retailer, and he posted videos online that trace back to him.

Ignorance is only a valid defense if the buyer is... actually ignorant of the product

Hes really lucky that he only lost some money

There were the Pokemon X and Y copies that went out stupidly early at some mom and pop stores. That's what I was kind of figuring happened here in the beginning. I also remember as a kid my Uncle bought me Pokemon XD from Best Buy eight days early. I don't think it ENTIRELY impossible that a company goofed hard.

You're right for sure in this case, though. Kind of misworded my first post. It is pretty clear he knew something was up here. Whether he knew it illegal or just a SERIOUS mistake. Still must suck even if he is lucky with how it turned out.

Edited because words.

No offense, but to post an unboxing video that you got it early from a retailer and to gain a ton of attention, and then to suddenly get wishy-washy about your story when it turns out Nintendo is asking for their product back, with the little bit of being out of a Switch and low on funds, to boot, is fucking tacky.

And THEN we find out it's stolen. Sorry, but sketchy as fuck.

Here we go. Do we even know for sure that Nintendo's taken it back?

jett

D-Member
What the hell? How can Nintendo even do this? And not even paying the man back his money?

edit: stolen property huh. welp.

He always mentioned he would sell it because of his financial situation currently. But that was before the possibility that it was a stolen unit. Hiphop was assuming he got an early shipment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom