• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo has taken back potentially stolen Nintendo Switch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alienous

Before people start jumping to the 8th conclusion here, he tried selling it before any of the stuff with the UI video was made and he showed off pictures. Not after. People convinced him to keep it and show stuff.

That makes sense if he got a unit shipped early to him. But, presumably, he bought one from an individual. So he bought one just to flip it?

Camjo-Z

Alas, such is the fate of those who seek e-fame through leaks without taking the proper precautions. In roughly 2 weeks no one will remember the guy who had an early Switch.

oti

Banned
What the fuck is this shit?

People on GAF were telling him to sell it when he first posted about it. So what if he did? IF he didn't know it was stolen, then how is he now the thief for selling it to pay for bills like he clearly said he was considering at the time?

Seriously Jesus H Christ

I think I'd sell it too (if I knew it wasn't stolen). I bet there are crazy people out there who'd pay a ton of money for it.

WadeitOut

That makes sense if he got a unit shipped early to him. But, presumably, he bought one from an individual. So he bought one just to flip it?

Probably after he realized he couldn't do anything with it pre-launch.

You see people flipping Switches on NeoGAF daily on the B/S/T thread.

I don't think he deserves an angry mob, but honestly saying he did not know the circumstances under which he acquired the Switch were at the very least extremely shady is insanely naive. It's pretty clear this console was most likely stolen from the get-go. People don't just accidentally buy consoles weeks before release from a 3rd party that acquired it via legit means.
We're not a court and we're not the judge.

That's all I have to say about that.

We have no proof he is the thief

There is no way he was ignorant of the fact that this wasnt some honest retailer mistake

But hey... Gaffers try to get sweet scoops all the time and its not like he could confirm if it was stolen.... just reasonably infer foul play

I dont think he is the devil but hot damn he knew the risks

It's kind of funny that Nintendo seem to be putting more effort into removing any public information about the switch than actually marketing it. Considering the launch is 2 weeks away, we shouldn't have even needed a leaked video to explain the most basic features of the system.

On topic, Nintendo have every right to reclaim any stolen property & they're not even pressing charges, they're not being the bad guys here. Hiphop claims he didn't know it was stolen & he returned it. It's over, there's more important matters to be concerned about guys, like what suit is Reggie going to be wearing for the launch.

There have been people on GAF since the reveal posting about selling their preordered units because finances are tight, how the fuck much money do you think a person would get selling a Switch two weeks before they're released? The people that do tear downs would probably be trampling each other trying to get it first.

No Man's Sky leaked a week before launch and someone sold their copy for like $900 or some absurd amount on eBay.

lindseybp

I wanted to avoid posting this because I am hoping it is not true. This is how Nintendo probably found out. The serial number is visible

Good catch man. Serial number totally visible. If anything I would say this solidifies his story because if you are knowingly buying stolen goods you would know not to post something with the serial number showing. I think he's legit in saying he had no idea.

Kadin

You might say we are "Switching" our minds?

joker.gif

wrowa

So it seems hiphoptherobot is the actual thief. Wow, HHR, how low can you go, try to say"i boutght it off a retailer to I bought it from someone, to I bought it from someone shady to now you were the actual thief. You deserve jailtime for sure. Hope that 15 min fame was worth it being behind bars.

What. You sure are quick to jump to conclusions, jeez.

I'm requesting this thread to be closed now as it's slowly becoming a witch hunt of a GAF member.
A witch hunt? You're the one who made the topic without full info to "make it be known" how "bad guy Nintendo was taking something back from someone who got a Switch shipped to them". Grow up and give me a break.

Plum

We're not a court and we're not the judge.

That's all I have to say about that.

Yep. I'm sure that if Nintendo cares then someone much more qualified than us is looking into is. This first page is a clear example of what happens when you don't have all the information.

Pikma

Banned
What the fuck is this shit?

People on GAF were telling him to sell it when he first posted about it. So what if he did? IF he didn't know it was stolen, then how is he now the thief for selling it to pay for bills like he clearly said he was considering at the time?

Seriously Jesus H Christ
You think he was going to sell it for $299?

Just the fact that he was trying to make a quick buck out of this (after giving himself his well deserved 15 mins of fame) makes me have no sympathy for this guy

So yeah. Fuck the guy

And just in case you want to twist this as a pro nintendo thing:

Fuck Nintendo too, if they actually fucking bothered to fully showcase their console that's two weeks away from releasing none of this would've happened, they deserve the backlash

Good catch man. Serial number totally visible. If anything I would say this solidifies his story because if you are knowingly buying stolen goods you would know not to post something with the serial number showing. I think he's legit in saying he had no idea.

he knew he was getting some crazy opportunity

he could argue not knowing it was stolen

but that requires context right? If there were ANY stories of retailers mistakenly selling units early or some other hot scoop floating around I imagine it would be super easy to give this guy a pass

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom