• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo has updated its Message from the President (Dec. 25, 2015)

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
I hope this idea of cross handheld-home system is NOT what NX is about.

From GBA-Gamecube connectivity to the Wii U Gamepad, it has been made pretty clear by the markets worldwide: this idea is the kiss of death.

The Goddess of videogames does not like, and I don't either.

Ryoku

I can't believe people are still holding onto the idea of a hybrid system. How many times does Nintendo itself have to outright tell people that such a device is not happening before these people wake up?

I honestly feel like these people are just trolling at this point.

Mr Swine

Banned
Can't it just be that the NX console can play both handheld and console games by having a "handheld " mode, console mode and not just be a hybrid or a shared platform?

Neoxon

I hope this idea of cross handheld-home system is NOT what NX is about.

From GBA-Gamecube connectivity to the Wii U Gamepad, it has been made pretty clear by the markets worldwide: this idea is the kiss of death.

The Goddess of videogames does not like, and I don't either.
Do you mean no unification in terms of making it a hybrid or just sharing games? Because either way, Nintendo can't support two separate platforms, anymore.

Sadist

If Nintendo chooses to combine libraries (opting for synergy) of the handheld unit and console unit it won't be anything like the GBA - Cube link or the Wii U Gamepad. Comparing those to the hypothetical idea we've been having since months now is not a great example.

The GBA link with the Cube was an experiment at best. Not enough software supported the feature and more importantly it was a totally different time regarding these kind of things, especially on a software/hardware level. To fully apreciate the concept you had to buy multiple pieces of software or even hardware. That would be eliminated if the handheld or console of NX could play the same software.

Wii U pad tried to do something new, but again it seemed more experimental for something bigger.

methodman

Banned
If Nintendo chooses to combine libraries (opting for synergy) of the handheld unit and console unit it won't be anything like the GBA - Cube link or the Wii U Gamepad. Comparing those to the hypothetical idea we've been having since months now is not a great example.

The GBA link with the Cube was an experiment at best. Not enough software supported the feature and more importantly it was a totally different time regarding these kind of things, especially on a software/hardware level. To fully apreciate the concept you had to buy multiple pieces of software or even hardware. That would be eliminated if the handheld or console of NX could play the same software.

Wii U pad tried to do something new, but again it seemed more experimental for something bigger.
I really hope they are combining libraries. It will make such a huge difference in game output.

I really hope they are combining libraries. It will make such a huge difference in game output.
The better comparison is not GCN/Advance or Wii U.

It's GameGear / SMS, Genesis / Nomad, and Gameboy / SNES+SuperGameboy. Those are systems that shared the same architecture between console and handheld and allowed games from one system to play on the other.

Admittedly GameGear and nomad failed but it was because of their battery life and high cost compared to the competition, that won't be an issue with a modern system based on ARM chips which can scale pretty well to low wattage gaming.

Can't it just be that the NX console can play both handheld and console games by having a "handheld " mode, console mode and not just be a hybrid or a shared platform?
You gotta define handheld mode and it has to be reasonable. This whole triple and double sku's thing people been on will be an instant screw up

GDGF

Soothsayer
Probably not the place for this, but I hope Nintendo makes a sequel to Steel Diver Sub Wars for the NX.

That game is great and they should have made it crossplay with the Wii U.

The anticipation of NX news is killing me. I can't wait to get more info. There's just something so incredible about a new Nintendo console.

C'mon Nintendo, give us more info!!

Neoxon

Nintendo is not apple and never will be. They was before when people called every game console a Nintendo but that was in the late 80s to mid 90s. Every average consumer who buying a tablet call it it an ipad.
But the hybrid route you're clinging to would straight-up cut Nintendo off from a good chunk of their potential profits & will be seen as Nintendo bowing out of the console market.

Hiltz

The anticipation of NX news is killing me. I can't wait to get more info. There's just something so incredible about a new Nintendo console.

C'mon Nintendo, give us more info!!

Agreed. Expecting the unexpected is pretty much what makes Nintendo's console reveals the most interesting ones of all. For better or worse, Nintendo feels there's a need in the industry for a platform holder to offer a different kind of console experience, so it is there to fulfill that role regardless of the financial risk and animosity and criticism Nintendo gets from some gamers that would prefer it to be more of a direct competitor like it used to be in the old days.

But the hybrid route you're clinging to would straight-up cut Nintendo off from a good chunk of their potential profits & will be seen as Nintendo bowing out of the console market.
How though? How ? Wouldnt profits be the same say wii u hit 20 mil and 3ds 60 mil... combined thats 80 million if thats a hybrid. PS3 and X360 reached that probably a little bit higher or closer to 90 mil

I'm just interested in seeing how Nintendo plans to tie all their software together. Mobile, handheld, console, etc.. I wonder if they can pull it off. They will definitely have to move pass some of those archaic models on Wii U.

Neoxon

How though? How ? Wouldnt profits be the same say wii u hit 20 mil and 3ds 60 mil... combined thats 80 million if thats a hybrid. PS3 and X360 reached that probably a little bit higher or closer to 90 mil
That's going on the generous assumption that every single console owner will go for a hybrid that skews closer to the handheld side of things.

I don't know why some people were seeing this as an admission of going fully mobile. I thought it was pretty clear from the message that the NX and smartphone stuff are going to be two separate endeavors for the company.

Neoxon

Why would it have to skew towards handheld side of things and not console? What does that even mean what you said? Explain.
I wish I was on my laptop right now, I could go into so much detail.
In all likelihood, the hybrid you're proposing would have to be closer to a handheld in power for the sake of battery life, which may be off-putting for those who normally get Nintendo consoles. The whole hybrid idea is just inefficient & cumbersome across the board to be worth the effort.

Snakeyes

The reason why a hybrid is dumb is very simple; a truly hybrid console means an expensive handheld and an underpowered and overpriced home console. Past sales data shows there isn't much of a market for either.

Gutss

from the thinking that you can play handheld games alone to this home console is whats worth to be excited about, ps2 at that time bloom not because of the Triple AAA games as of today that is really do the same tricks all over again, it was more like lots of japanese games with unique experience,think of the games that is on the 3ds now, that more feels like the games we play back then and combined it to the games on nintendo consoles that is exciting indeed.

I wish I was on my laptop right now, I could go into so much detail.
In all likelihood, the hybrid you're proposing would have to be closer to a handheld in power for the sake of battery life, which may be off-putting for those who normally get Nintendo consoles. The whole hybrid idea is just inefficient & cumbersome across the board to be worth the effort.

The reason why a hybrid is dumb is very simple; a truly hybrid console means an expensive handheld and an underpowered and overpriced home console. Past sales data shows there isn't much of a market for either.
What if they are one in the same? The hybrid is console power and mobile..

Not gonna happen due to the power constraints of mobile hardware, unless you're willing to fork well over $700 for your hybrid
Or Nintendo find some work around? And how low levelled do yall think the handheld will be compared to the console? Especially if they have the same games.. If its 3DS to Wii then they can fuck off.. Xenoblade on 3DS looks terrible. Who gonna stoop that low?

Neoxon

Or Nintendo find some work around? And how low levelled do yall think the handheld will be compared to the console? Especially if they have the same games.. If its 3DS to Wii then they can fuck off.. Xenoblade on 3DS looks terrible. Who gonna stoop that low?
There is no work-around. A hybrid will most likely end with an expensive handheld that doubles as a gimped console. It's a lose-lose situation. As for scaling, the NX Handheld can go 540p to make scaling up to the NX Console at, say, 1080p easier.

Got my son a Wii as a Christmas gift. Didn't work. Family was greatly disappointed. My son really wanted to play Mario Kart. I'll be returning the system. Won't bother with the Wii U or NX.

No smiles here Mr. Nintendo CEO. At least with respect to Nintendo stuff.

You got a brand new Wii and it didn't work? Didn't work how? The odds of that are really low so its a bummer if you really did get a dud, but its not indicative of peoples Nintendo experience like at all.

sörine

Banned
Yes, I think that's more or less where they're headed. Basically different devices with different (but related) architectures, but still a shared OS, account, brand, media and some software. You could still see device exclusives depending on things like interface, play style or performance demands, but most games will run on both devices at least initially. Think of it in 3 tiers:

NX 1.0 Spec: Designed for handheld performance. Runs on as is on 2.0 devices (console) but perhaps with simple OS aided upgrades (like rendering 1080p).

NX 1.5 Spec: Designed for handheld performance but improved for console. Basically a dual sku (think MH4U) that improves shading, assets, performance, etc when it runs on the more capable 2.0 device.

NX 2.0 Spec: Designed for console performance. Incompatible with NX 1.0 devices.

Then you still have semi-distinct platforms that can appeal to different core bases/regions without sacrificing much, but you also reduce risk by sharing software across devices and potentially avoid the pitfalls Nintendo's current consoles face with content starvation. Even better the next handheld several years down the line could be built to "NX 2.0 Spec" and then immediately have a giant library, full backwards compatibility, developer familiarity and an already invested userbase. Then you keep the cycle going with a 3.0 Spec console, and soon NX is looking more like iOS or Anroid and less like what we have now in terms of console generations and transitions. I really feel like NX has to be this sort of huge break from the current model and shift the idea of what a game platform is, it really can't just be another closed box with an interface gimmick grafted on top.

There is no work-around. A hybrid will most likely end with an expensive handheld that doubles as a gimped console. It's a lose-lose situation. As for scaling, the NX Handheld can go 540p to make scaling up to the NX Console at, say, 1080p easier.
Yeah but actual textures, lighting effects, and whatever else cant be solved by a resolution bump. Resolution bump dont fix anything but clarity.

Pokemaniac

Yeah but actual textures, lighting effects, and whatever else cant be solved by a resolution bump. Resolution bump dont fix anything but clarity.

They can just ship multiple sets of assets similar to PC games. Building software that runs on multiple hardware configurations of varying strength is a solved problem.

WiiU0706

sörine;190452242 said:
Yes, I think that's more or less where they're headed. Basically different devices with different (but related) architectures, but still a shared OS, account, brand, media and some software. You could still see device exclusives depending on things like interface, play style or performance demands, but most games will run on both devices at least initially. Think of it in 3 tiers:

NX 1.0 Spec: Designed for handheld performance. Runs on as is on 2.0 devices (console) but perhaps with simple OS aided upgrades (like rendering 1080p).

NX 1.5 Spec: Designed for handheld performance but improved for console. Basically a dual sku (think MH4U) that improves shading, assets, performance, etc when it runs on the more capable 2.0 device.

NX 2.0 Spec: Designed for console performance. Incompatible with NX 1.0 devices.

Then you still have semi-distinct platforms that can appeal to different core bases/regions without sacrificing much, but you also reduce risk by sharing software across devices and potentially avoid the pitfalls Nintendo's current consoles face with content starvation. Even better the next handheld several years down the line could be built to "NX 2.0 Spec" and then immediately have a giant library, full backwards compatibility, developer familiarity and an already invested userbase. Then you keep the cycle going with a 3.0 Spec console, and soon NX is looking more like iOS or Anroid and less like what we have now in terms of console generations and transitions. I really feel like NX has to be this sort of huge break from the current model and shift the idea of what a game platform is, it really can't just be another closed box with an interface gimmick grafted on top.

you know this sounds like something what Nintendo is hinting at and it would most definitely be a new platform and they can always continue backwards compatibility without having to rely to much on the old architecture, the only problem is would the performance of the console be up to par with todays industry standards and would third parties be down for this

They can just ship multiple sets of assets similar to PC games. Building software that runs on multiple hardware configurations of varying strength is a solved problem.
And then find a universal physical media that will work with both... theres alot of question marks hybrid or not. Thats kind of my point here.

You got a brand new Wii and it didn't work? Didn't work how? The odds of that are really low so its a bummer if you really did get a dud, but its not indicative of peoples Nintendo experience like at all.
Purchased it directly from Nintendo's online store. No audio or video signal coming out of the Wii. I tried multi inputs on my TV and my home theater receiver. Played with input settings on both the TV and the receiver for almost two hours. Nothing.

Peterc

I came across this article:

Nintendo NX news: Upcoming console pre-order could start in February

There is still no certain release date for the Nintendo NX, though according to Christian Today, China Topix has said that pre-ordering for the upcoming console will start on February 2016.

Read more:
http://www.mnrdaily.com/article/nin...le.pre.order.could.start.in.february/6987.htm

I believe that they will reveal it at E3. The release date will be in november again. I hope this time europe don't need to wait again untill Feb. 2017

JoeM86

From what we know of NX, it's not a handheld or one device. NX is a platform akin to iOS with multiple form factors. Same architecture, same OS, different specs, slightly different functionality between form factors.

The comparison that has been made, by Iwata and Nintendo itself, is iPad and iPhone and how they're brother devices. They can run the same software, but also have software unique to each for each features.

It's not a hybrid. This is what Nintendo has said about NX already, I'm surprised this is still a point of confusion.

bman94

I came across this article:

Nintendo NX news: Upcoming console pre-order could start in February

There is still no certain release date for the Nintendo NX, though according to Christian Today, China Topix has said that pre-ordering for the upcoming console will start on February 2016.

Read more:
http://www.mnrdaily.com/article/nin...le.pre.order.could.start.in.february/6987.htm

I believe that they will reveal it at E3. The release date will be in november again. I hope this time europe don't need to wait again untill Feb. 2017

Pre-ordering a console seems so very un-Nintendo like.

Industry analyst Michael Pachter though has a different opinion; he doesn't see the Nintendo NX coming out anytime soon yet.
Holy shit. Never thought I would agree with Pachter on something.

Mr Swine

Banned
sörine;190452242 said:

I would love if Nintendo made NX like this. But I feel that it would probably be not what they are aiming for. But man, being able to play handheld games on a console like Super Gameboy/Gameboy Player at home would be so good.

Will buy regardless, my first gaming memory was mario bros 3 back in the day and I'll always have a soft spot for anything nintendo. But dammit the wii u was a fucking disappointment

The WiiU is the best console since the SNES for gaming and I'm not joking. It plays host to some of the greatest games ever IMO. None of that brown shooty bollocks. Pure Nintendo magic!

Roland1979

Hope the new concept is a success

Without proper 3rd party support i really fear it's still a loosing battle with MS and Sony, maybe not a fast one and i hope i'm wrong, but it's a fear of mine to see the company that revived the home gaming industrie and with the most innovations disappear from the landscape.

Oregano

sörine;190452242 said:

This is exactly what I thought the plan would be but the SCD patent has thrown a spanner in the works for me. It's opened up a weird possibility of me of having the full quality console games available on the handheld.

If you think about PS4/Vita Remote Play it requires you to A)Own both a PS4&Vita, B)Own the PS4 game(and if physical have it in the drive) and C)Connect to your PS4 no matter how far away it is).

Well with the SCD patent it makes it clear that other people could connect to your SCD(if you allow it) and Nintendo has mentioned repeatedly that it will be an account based relationship. It could be possible to buy a game on your handheld(lets say Dragon Quest XI UE4 version) and when you play connect to closest available SCD(through local or online).

Even if the SCD is used it might not be used in that form though but it would open up the possibility. It'd be a bold move but I could see how it could appeal to Japanese publishers in particular. DQX on 3DS has already proved that Cloud based handheld games are pretty viable(and that was not an ideal setup!) and it would allow JP publishers to sell their big HD games on what is likely to be the best selling dedicated gaming system over the next few years.

Top Bottom